• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Why is my city defense AI so stupid?

DeletedUser25148

I'm getting pillaged by other players with forces that could easily be beaten but for my dumb AI. For example, I get attacked by one anti-aircraft gun and seven rogues. Instead of focusing on destroying the AA and then picking off each rogue with one shot, my AI starts shooting the rogues, turning them all into AA's. I suppose it's too much to ask that there's some kind of setting that would change this, but really--what the hell?

wolfhoundtoo

The game encourages attacking and plundering. There is a thread with tips on how to improve your situation but plundering is part of FOE.

DeletedUser25148

If there is a silver lining to be found in this, it might be that the defending player's army AI will be just as bad when you attack him.

That's true. But man is it frustrating watching a replay of a battle in which the ineptness of your armed forces is so on display.

DeletedUser25148

The game encourages attacking and plundering. There is a thread with tips on how to improve your situation but plundering is part of FOE.

Yeah, I appreciate that. And I'm routinely overrun by armies from the future; that's fine. It's getting overrun by armies that I could actually beat—and beat easily—that's the frustrating part.

wolfhoundtoo

Yeah, I appreciate that. And I'm routinely overrun by armies from the future; that's fine. It's getting overrun by armies that I could actually beat—and beat easily—that's the frustrating part.

I understand but that is the way it works. You can get worked up about it and give yourself an ulcer but that seems counter productive. Alternatives would be to get the GB that improve your attack when defending your City, get some watch fires (or win some sacred flames in GE), rotate your defense and see if you can't cause your attacker to lose a few units or use the City shield. I might of missed something but my basic advice is 'never let them see you sweat". :)

DeletedUser8152

I've argued before that PvP ought to use the continent AI, which is generally smarter. However, no AI is as smart as a clever human -- or at least, no AI that they can afford to use in a game like this :) So even if they did switch it around, people would come up with strategies to win, and even to make the AI look stupid. So I don't think it would change the plundering situation much.

(The reason I would favor the change is because the PvP AI is really boring to fight against. The continent AI requires more thought and care.)

DeletedUser13838

I know but pvp seems kind of dead. I can't remember the last time I was attacked and my defense isn't particularly good. Makes me think about deleting my deal and basil.

Blue Dawg 469

One would hope, "AI" to stand for 'Artificial Intelligence", but instead it stands for "Alarming idiocy", or something similar. I found too early to not use/rely on the AI for anything. One would hope for distance fighters it would keep them back and not march them into battle like tanks, but oh noo... the AI moves all my distance fighters forward while leaving my armored infantry/knights stuck in the trenches. All the while it's own distance fighters don't move an inch while it slaughters all of mine... gee tanks for the memories...

wolfhoundtoo

It has rules that it follows. But my basic advice is manual battle. With some practice you'll do better than the computer.

Blue Dawg 469

It has rules that it follows. But my basic advice is manual battle. With some practice, you'll do better than the computer.

Thank-you, but I wasn't asking a question. I was beefing on its stupidity. Sure it has rules but the point of my beef is it isn't uniform across the board. For its own forces it holds distance fighters back unless they are the mounted type, but for our forces, it marches them into battle without shooting as if they were meant as tanks or to die as pawns.