• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why join a guild (and which one)

DeletedUser25447

I'm still new the game and I have explored most everything the BA has to offer.
Now I am wondering if I should join a guild?

1) What are the benefits?
2) How to choose which one?
3) If I don't like the guild can I quit and join another (surely FOE allows that)

BTW, I have tried being both a warrior and a farmer, and I think I will switch back and forth as the need arises.

<edit>
Now I realized I've asked the wrong question, Why should "I" join and what should "I" be looking for in a guild

A better question is why did "you" join a guild, and what has "your" experiences been
</edit>

Thanks for all replies!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13452

Joining a guild means more players to motivate and polish for BP opportunities. Trading between guild members does not cost any FP. Depending on the guild level, you may receive further benefits such as reduced building costs, reduced building time, reduced healing time and reduced training time. You may also get extra FP when collecting your Town Hall.

You should look over guild profiles for a description of who they are and what they're looking for in members. Most guilds have a few rules such as trading at their idea of fair rates (it varies). They will also likely require that you AID on a regular basis and they may have other rules for you to consider. Remember, the guild is a group effort rather than a singular one. Find a guild that suits your play style and it should prove quite rewarding. There is usually info on the profile about how to join the guild...who to contact. Some guilds may be auto-join. There are different options for guild leaders to choose about how to join them.

You can quit a guild any time you like, but you cannot return to that same guild for a minimum of 7 days after leaving. So don't be indecisive, be sure you want to leave.

Culchie

Pick an active guild, the higher the level the more daily fp's from you town hall, the more members means more trades.. Also an active guild usually offers help with GB's. I have to recommend my guild 'The Exchange', check them out,like the caveman says you can always change your mind

DeletedUser25447

You should look over guild profiles for a description of who they are and what they're looking for in members. Most guilds have a few rules such as trading at their idea of fair rates (it varies). They will also likely require that you AID on a regular basis and they may have other rules for you to consider. Remember, the guild is a group effort rather than a singular one. Find a guild that suits your play style and it should prove quite rewarding. There is usually info on the profile about how to join the guild...who to contact. Some guilds may be auto-join. There are different options for guild leaders to choose about how tCano join them..

CaveMan answered the question succinctly but not to my satisfaction. Being a new member I don't know what I want in a guild. Looking at the profiles is one thing but I have no idea what it'll be like.

Point in question...I "Aid" everyone in my neighborhood daily...I make fair trades...sure the guild could make building times shorter or give me better defenses, but isn't that what GB's are about?

I haven't done GVG s so that's an aspect unknown to me.

But really how should I pick a guild?

Culchie mention joining an active guild...how do I determine what is an active guild?

thanks for the responses

Culchie

Click on your global tab, then the ranking tab and check the guild rankings, pick a top guild with a high level and lots of members. There is a reason they are popular. If you look at the guilds profile, most guilds say if they are involved in gvg, and many list the programs they run. I would be looking for GB programs (stix to bricks, fp donation,etc)
On a play note you say you aid everyone in your neighborhood, I would expect some of those that you aid, attack and plunder you, only aid those that aid youand build up your friends lis

DeletedUser13452

CaveMan answered the question succinctly but not to my satisfaction. Being a new member I don't know what I want in a guild. Looking at the profiles is one thing but I have no idea what it'll be like.

Point in question...I "Aid" everyone in my neighborhood daily...I make fair trades...sure the guild could make building times shorter or give me better defenses, but isn't that what GB's are about?

Culchie mention joining an active guild...how do I determine what is an active guild?

thanks for the responses
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you want in a guild either, lol. culchy makes some good points. If you want to learn GvG, then find a guild that is ranked high on global and has that activity stated in their profile. If you want to be in a trade guild, look for that. Either way, joining one of the more popular guilds is your best bet. Look for the ones that have a lot of members and who's profile sounds like the type of play you're looking for. GBs can boost your military and such, but they cannot reduce costs and time for building troops or buildings. If you aid daily, you are a good candidate for most any guild. :)

P.S. You aught to give guild membership a try, since you don't have that experience(is my advice). After you've had a taste of it, you will know whether it's for you or not.

DeletedUser10415

There's nothing preventing you from joining a guild to see what it'll be like, and then leaving it if it's not to your liking.

If you aid everyone in your 'hood daily, then you'd probably want a guild that comes close to doing that for you daily too. Many guilds require their members aid the guild three or more times per week, and those that do will generally have that information on their profile. Likewise, guilds that require fair trades will have that on their profile too. (If you prefer fair trades, you probably don't want to be in a guild without this rue stated, since such 'free market' guilds usually have one or more members who will each have 40+ pages of lousy trades up at any given time.)

If you're interested in the fighting aspect of the game, and learning about GvG, join a guild that specifies in their profile that they participate in Iron Age GvG. If not, or not right now, there's no hurry. You could always join a guild later that participates in GvG if that is something you become interested in.

Only you know what you want. Try to find that in the guild profiles.

There are two ways to do this. Most do it by joining it and seeing what the level of activity is. If there are no messages posted in days, it's likely a dead or very inactive guild. If you aid everyone daily for a week and only 10% aid you back, and then only once or twice, it's likely not an active guild. If there are no trades posted by guild members, it's dead Jim.

Alternatively, you could head over to http://www.forge-db.com/
Choose the world, and look up the guild. Viewing a guild's list of members, if you see a bunch of names highlighted red (no login in 24+ hours), then it's likely not a very active guild.

DeletedUser7289

All good advice. I'd only add that you can look through guild profiles, when you find one (or more), send a message to the guild leaders expressing your interest and asking any questions you may have. I know that for joining my guild it really helps if you've actually told me why you're interested in joining us, and if you communicate (we're an active, friendly guild so participation does matter to us).

DeletedUser10415

True enough, pygalgia. Which reminds me, when looking through the guilds, some will be ones you can join right away. Others their leader(s) have set up to be application only. Don't let the application thing scare you away dashead, as the guilds that are like this are often some of the most active.

DeletedUser25447

I'm sorry, but I don't know what you want in a guild either, lol. culchy makes some good points. If you want to learn GvG, then find a guild that is ranked high on global and has that activity stated in their profile. If you want to be in a trade guild, look for that. Either way, joining one of the more popular guilds is your best bet. Look for the ones that have a lot of members and who's profile sounds like the type of play you're looking for. GBs can boost your military and such, but they cannot reduce costs and time for building troops or buildings. If you aid daily, you are a good candidate for most any guild. :)

P.S. You aught to give guild membership a try, since you don't have that experience(is my advice). After you've had a taste of it, you will know whether it's for you or not.
Thanks Caveman64!
your previous answer was very good and to the point, and I liked that. I'm actively, but slowly looking at the guilds and I appreciate all of your input. Thanks!

DeletedUser25447

thanks to everyone that has responded with great thought out answers.

But now I realized I've asked the wrong question, Why should "I" join and what should "I" be looking for in a guild

A better question is why did "you" join a guild, and what has "your" experiences been

DeletedUser25385

I love my guild. I joined one by accident, I am still fairly new to the game and when I initially joined the guild I think it was for a side quest, I don't remember. Everyone in my guild is super nice and helpful. we help each other with great buildings, with trades and ofc polishing and motivating. You can join and leave but it's better to just find a nice one and stay, it's more beneficial than guild hoping. The guild I joined is called Merchants'. My forum name is the same as my game name and my listed location is the world my game is in.

DeletedUser7289

I play on 4 worlds, and over time (yeah, I've been playing a long time) have been in a variety of guilds. When I founded my guild on F, I tried to bring in the things I liked about the other guilds I'd been in. I like being in a community where people help each other and work together to advance. That can be through trades, aiding, GB help, GvG, or just answering questions, but it does make the game more enjoyable if you're playing with a group of people who are having fun together.
Like any other activity involving groups of people, not everything runs smoothly. If you aren't enjoying the guild you're in, try a different one.

DeletedUser23123

Being on a Guild is great. Especially go good high level one. Had my own. Which was a big flop. Mostly cause of my lack of experience. I hand it over to another player and left. My Guild are awesome. Very helpful and nice. There are rules that are enforce. But it isn't hard to follow.

DeletedUser25447

Thanks to everyone that spent the time to comment. I have finally joined a good guild.
From my experience I would say some important qualities of a good guild are:
* has many members ranging from the top to the bottom of the tech tree
* has contribution to treasury rules for GvG
* has FP contribution rules to help GBs out of stix or other GB leveling
* indicates that fun is a priority

DeletedUser8152

Just joined the forum. Not sure where to post this or if it is even allowed. We have started a new guild and are looking for new members. The guild is called " The Krooked Table" Come check us out. No rules except that you help other guild mates. Fair trades. We will help other guild mates as best we can. It is in the world Korch. All levels welcome!
You should post this in the "Guild Hall" section for the Korch world, here: https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?forums/guild-hall.114/