• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Why so hard to expand?

Roseaya

I have played a long time and still can't understand why FOE makes it so difficult to expand? I understand prioritizing etc, but what is the downside of having lots of space to accomodate all the special event buildings, etc? Someone rationalize this for me.

Ebeondi Asi

Space for city is really the number one challenge of the game. Of many challenges, the lack of enough space is the main one.
From the very beginning space is the key, arranging what one has in the limited space is a big part of playing Foe. And the challenge of not enough space continues through the entire game. Even for players in SAJM.
I think people who are natural hoarders would have the worst time playing Foe. Because throwing away stuff you just acquired one Era back is really a necessity. (at least until you have so many top Event Buildings and Great Buildings leveled up, they become permanent.)
So Space is a fundamental game play challenge of Foe. Without it .. Foe would be very different.

Last edited:

Emberguard

I think people who are natural hoarders would have the worst time playing Foe. Because throwing away stuff you just acquired one Era back is really a necessity. (at least until you have so many top Event Buildings and Great Buildings leveled up, they become permanent.)
Indeed, and even then it becomes important to be willing to let go of those Event Buildings as power creep comes into play.

I have played a long time and still can't understand why FOE makes it so difficult to expand? I understand prioritizing etc, but what is the downside of having lots of space to accomodate all the special event buildings, etc? Someone rationalize this for me.
What I did was prioritize what I wanted my city to offer me and when I did that, it was easy to find what buildings to get and what buildings to discard. At this time, I have enough coins (9G) and supplies (1.4G) that I don't need any great buildings that generate those products. I have keyed on Forge producing buildings (get about 550 forge points per day) and on defense and attack buildings (have attack at 799%/590%) and defense (313%/1133%) so that I can win battles and defend troops. I have "all" the buildings that I need and still have about a 10x10 space in my city for new buildings or to play the events. Prioritize what you want to get.

Karen Isaacsdottir

I have a better understanding of the limits of space after playing the Viking settlement, where it is more obvious: one of the constraints on play is how much space you can allocate to what. You have to choose your resources wisely.

Ebeondi Asi

To Viking Master. If you are not already in SAJM or SAV you will need a lot more supplies tha 1.4 Billion. Just tellin' you what to expect. You will need about a billion each Era in Space ages.. Saving up in advnce really helps. Himeji Castle s the one to get up to giving you 3+ Million a day..

ethanhunt2025

I think they have a check everywhere which is a challenge you should enjoy. Honestly, I enjoy the challenge of limited space. Either the game will make you run out of population or coins or supplies or goods or army or land. You have to think and prioritize. Start getting rid of the least important buildings if you can. If you can store it, just store it. I frequently try rearranging my city. It is fugly as hell. But I don't care. One of the reasons they have this constraint is to encourage you to get on with your technology research. I know some completely coming to a screeching halt there and focusing more on Great buildings. You have to strike a balance. You have to get involved in battles to acquire land and progress a little with your research.

Kana 950 the Bold

Maybe its hard to get expansions to make people buy diamonds for expansions or do level 4 of ge which gives diamonds. Get a level 80 arc to get enough medals to max medal expansions with an active 1.9 thread if you haven't.