• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Contest!! Tax Day 2016

• Thread starter DeletedUser8152
  • Start date

DeletedUser25670

I signed up for this forum just to find the answer to 10 and now I get nothing what a waste of time!

DeletedUser4770

We are very, very sorry that this really great contest was ruined by a number of things. We will take precautions in the future to prevent something like this from happening again. We try and conduct contests on the forum at least once a month so please don't be discouraged and please enter the next one. In the meantime, if you were close, go ahead and send the answers in to jaelis.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser13967

Thats really sad. There's to many a holes in this world that really need to be gotten rid of as they just make life miserable for most.
May the worst come to those that spoiled the fun...they deserve it and then some.

DeletedUser12240

Well that's no fun. I do hope they have what's coming to them...
I legitimately enjoyed that, too.

DeletedUser25679

We are very, very sorry that this really great contest was ruined by a number of things. We will take precautions in the future to prevent something like this from happening again. We try and conduct contests on the forum at least once a month so please don't be discouraged and please enter the next one. In the meantime, if you were close, go ahead and send the answers in to jaelis.
35 minutes ago you posted this I just got home from work to get on my computer cause I couldn't register on my phone spent the time to find all ten (whether I'm right or wrong) answers and this is what I get I enjoy playing but I'm not sure it's worth the time to get duped over and over

DeletedUser25679

I do realize this isn't your fault you aren't the one who ruined for everyone else

DeletedUser8152

We'll have more details about the situation shortly. We're all disappointed but I think ending the contest is the best thing for now.

DeletedUser8152

OK, here is the explanation. I will also post on the first page.

First, the correct answers are:

Line 1: 259 = 140 * 1.85
Line 2: 105
Line 3: 154 = 259 - 105
Line 4: 166 = 154*1.08 (rounded)
Line 5: 144 = 120*1.2
Line 6: 120
Line 7: 24 = 144 - 120
Line 8: 10 = 24 - 14
Line 9 : 17 = 166/10 (rounded)
Line 10: 500

The issue was line 1. A sextant is produced in a Clockmaker, and is worth 140 supplies. If you check in the game you will see that. However, many people looked it up on the Forge Wiki, which lists a value of 160. At first we thought perhaps this had been changed maliciously to disrupt the contest, but in fact it is an old error. It is actually noted in the comments section on the Wiki page, if you look carefully.

Because of this, only a few people got the answer right. Given this problem, it seemed best to end the contest, rather than allowing more people to be frustrated by it. This was certainly not anything deliberate in the contest design; our own guide on the forum does list the sextant correctly, and we didn't think to verify the wiki ahead of time. (Just to be clear: the wiki page is not run by or officially supported by InnoGames.)

I apologize for this situation, I'm sure many people will be disappointed. But we do have several winners who deserve genuine congratulations for getting lines 1-9 right:

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

Each of them will receive 100 diamonds. From those who also got line 10 correct, we randomly selected bender619 to win the 1000 diamond prize. Congratulations and well done!

Since we ended up giving out less diamonds than expected, I expect we will be able to run more contests in the future. Thanks very much to all who participated and I hope that the puzzle was a fun challenge, regardless.

DeletedUser15563

I'm fed up with this. I put it off for a few days relying on the posted deadline and this is what I get. I even posted guild threads advertising the contest in a few worlds. I should have known better than to offer my time to a dying game.

DeletedUser25385

Diamonds!!! I was just crying about diamonds the other day :). Can the answer be submitted before 4/15 or can we only message you on the 15th? Thnx

DeletedUser25385

OK, here is the explanation. I will also post on the first page.

First, the correct answers are:

The issue was line 1. A sextant is produced in a Clockmaker, and is worth 140 supplies. If you check in the game you will see that. However, many people looked it up on the Forge Wiki, which lists a value of 160. At first we thought perhaps this had been changed maliciously to disrupt the contest, but in fact it is an old error. It is actually noted in the comments section on the Wiki page, if you look carefully.

Because of this, only a few people got the answer right. Given this problem, it seemed best to end the contest, rather than allowing more people to be frustrated by it. This was certainly not anything deliberate in the contest design; our own guide on the forum does list the sextant correctly, and we didn't think to verify the wiki ahead of time. (Just to be clear: the wiki page is not run by or officially supported by InnoGames.)

I apologize for this situation, I'm sure many people will be disappointed. But we do have several winners who deserve genuine congratulations for getting lines 1-9 right:

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

Each of them will receive 100 diamonds. From those who also got line 10 correct, we randomly selected bender619 to win the 1000 diamond prize. Congratulations and well done!

Since we ended up giving out less diamonds than expected, I expect we will be able to run more contests in the future. Thanks very much to all who participated and I hope that the puzzle was a fun challenge, regardless.
Omg it's closed!?! Lol. This forum sure moves fast lol

king freeze

It is a very poor choice to have a contest then close it while folks are working on it. Would have been nice to see something within the game giving out the information that the contest was killed. Just a example why people should not waste their time on the US Forum. I have never seen this happen on the EN forum or the AR forum. Oh well lesson learned to our members.............

DeletedUser24974

FOERS.png

As you know, April 15 is the day tax returns must be filed for most Americans. What you may not know is that Forge of Empires has a tax system too! But it has the much nicer feature that it only offers refunds, and never any withholding.

To get your refund prize, however, you must correctly fill out and submit your paperwork. The FOE1040A form is shown below. To submit it, follow the instructions and write down the values for each line. When you are done, send all ten values in a private forum message to jaelis. Answers are due (of course) at xxxx PM EST on April 1xx . Only the first submission for each player will be used.

ATTENTION: Due to unforeseen circumstances, we are having to close the Contest early. The correct answer was shared in Guild Forums, etc and as such, the contest will be closed at this time 4/4 21:15 EDT. We apologize to those who took the time to play the contest as it was designed. (We also apologize to jaelis who took the time to design a really great contest.)

Prizes:

Each player who provides the correct answers for lines 1 through 9 will receive 100 diamonds. In addition, every player who correctly answers lines 1 through 10 will be entered into a random drawing for 1000 diamonds!

Rules:

You are not allowed to post answers or instructions for where to find an answer, since that will spoil the game for everyone. Any such posts will be deleted and the poster will be disqualified from the contest, no matter where on the forum the information is posted. Answers must be submitted by private message to jaelis: click this link to open a message.

FAQ:

Do I get diamonds on all my worlds?
Your diamonds are shared between all your worlds, so they will be credited to your account and you can spend them where you like.

When will the diamonds be awarded?
After April 15. We are impressed with the response, it may take a little while to work through all the answers. So just like with the IRS, please be patient :)

Will you tell me if I got it right or wrong?
After the contest ends we will publish the correct answers.

How many messages can your mailbox hold? I don't know, I think that I may find out!

---------------------------------

Results and Explanation

We apologize again for ending the contest early. To explain, first here are the correct answers:

Because of this, only a few people got the answer right. Given this problem, along with the widespread answer-sharing many people reported, it seemed best to end the contest rather than allowing more people to be frustrated by it. This was certainly not anything deliberate in the contest design; our own guide on the forum does list the sextant correctly, and we didn't think to verify the wiki ahead of time. (Just to be clear: the wiki page is not run by or officially supported by InnoGames.)

Cokkan
Thyrgrym the bold
Kendaer
MasterGadget
Electric66
swimminspence
Meaghan the Magnificent
jkl51
stealing happy hours
bender619
Digby the Durable
RAVEN 201
Celtic Witch I
Theodora 289 the Mighty

Since we ended up giving out less diamonds than planned, I expect we will be able to run more contests in the future. Thanks very much to all who participated and I hope that the puzzle was a fun challenge, regardless.

Aw Man....that Sucks! Why do a few have to ruin for everyone else!

DeletedUser16345

I was excited about this contest earlier but didn't have time so I waited till I got home and it was closed early... Did it really matter that someone posted the answers? Everyone was just going to look at the wiki anyways basically copy/paste those answers. I think this was poorly handled.

DeletedUser8152

Please see the explanation in the original post. Answer copying was an issue, but the main thing is that everyone was getting it wrong because the wiki is wrong.

DeletedUser15563

I'm leaving the forums. See ya guys.

Edit* deleted all the posts I could on the forums including all images. Might leave the game too. I need a break.