• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Second wave of troops for city defense

• Thread starter DeletedUser32785
  • Start date

DeletedUser32785

Proposal
A second wave of city defense.

Current system
Single wave of 8 units can be selected for city defense.

Details
As the age progresses and players get more and more attack boost, defenses cannot keep up. I suggest that a second wave of city defense be made available, where the second wave becomes available after a certain age and the number of troops that can be added to second wave will increase with age.

Abuse prevention
Not likely to have any abuse issues

Comments
Attacker will have to face second wave with his left over units from first wave, rest all benefits remains same other than more points for PVP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salsuero

Why is this up for a vote?

-and-

Why should this be age-based? That's discriminatory. I don't see any reason why this should be age-based as defenses respond the same regardless of age and you can gain all the same attack bonuses in any age.

Not likely to have any abuse issues

LOL -- famous first words.

BruteForceAttack

Why is this up for a vote?

-and-

Why should this be age-based? That's discriminatory. I don't see any reason why this should be age-based as defenses respond the same regardless of age and you can gain all the same attack bonuses in any age.

It's not the formal proposal voting, any thread owner can add a poll to their thread using "Thread Tools" on the top right. Kinda confusing :)

DeletedUser32389

The proposal is lacking detail. This is yet another proposal asking for "something for nothing". You would be given this second army simply for advancing in age? Many players have a defense that's capable of handling most attackers they run into. Just adding a second wave with nothing else to balance it out makes no sense at all. Even as a hugely expensive tavern boost, a full second wave would effectively more than double your defense rating (because the attacker has to win both fights in series) As it stand now, so light on details, this is a ridiculous proposal.

Salsuero

It's not the formal proposal voting, any thread owner can add a poll to their thread using "Thread Tools" on the top right. Kinda confusing :)

I know the technical why. But I was under the impression that the "voting" stage happens later. This just makes people think they've already voted and then it's confusing when you get told to vote again.

DeletedUser31206

1: This shouldn't be up for vote yet for this is a new proposal and hasn't been up long enough.
2: I don't even like doing 2 battles back to back in GE for 9 times out of 10 I end up having to do battle in the second round with less troops then the attacker/defender (not really sure which we are and which the computer is in GE)
3: When this legitimately comes up for vote my vote is no.

DeletedUser32389

Just for example: If this was an expensive tavern boost with three options for the second wave.
Two extra troops for 4 hours,
Four extra troops for 8 hours,
or Eight extra troops for 12 hours...

Notice it isn’t 24 hour coverage, and the silver cost would have to be as high or higher than the city shield.

Even with this change I’m not sure I would get behind the idea, but this is an example of how to introduce a feature. If it has a value to the player, then the player needs to pay for it somehow.

Algona

From Proposal Guidelines:

NOTE: As of January 2015, we will move improperly formatted proposals to Forge Hall for discussion. The voting and submitting process is difficult with improperly formatted proposals. It is perfectly fine to discuss a proposal in Forge Hall prior to formal submission here. Do not create your proposal with a poll, unless instructed to do so by a staff member.

DeletedUser31540

this idea has merit
the kinks need to be worked out but i could get on board

Two extra troops for 4 hours,
Four extra troops for 8 hours,
or Eight extra troops for 12 hours

I think Hootengoben's idea that this works best as a tavern boost is a great one ... however it should obviously cost less than the city shield cause you can still get attacked, defeated, and plundered with a boosted defense.

3,000 / 6,000 / 12,000 seems like a reasonable scaling of silver prices --- and the boost should last for 4 / 8 / 24 hours respectively imo

(i realize with these figures that the 24 hour boost would actually be more expensive per hour than the city shield but i am ready to hit the post reply button so yea)

DeletedUser32389

One thing to think about is that the city shield shows the attacker that it's up, this would be a secret until they get past the first round. I think for people seeking retribution for repeated attacks this is a more satisfying and visceral response than a city shield. It's this hidden aspect that made me think it should cost more. Also 24hr protection would also be overkill (the shield offers that) a 12 hour max would mean that there is still some effort made on the part of the defender to time their defense accordingly.
Anyway it would need to be balanced somehow...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31498

Very valuable comment, thanks!!

Yeah the ability to spend tavern silver on a fun sneaky extra defense is great. Keeping it a secret until after the first battle is just way too out there and unfair to plunderers, though it's a super fun concept. It would have to work just like GE, showing both waves. Yes vote from me, but the game is all about plunderers and this has no chance of passing.

This would effectively nerf the Atlants, Kraken, AO, AND Kraken all at once lol.

DeletedUser32389

One way to nurf the effect is to have the extra wave randomly selected from troops that you have in your DA already. This would prevent a defender from creating a second wave that's covers the first waves weaknesses. Also too many rogues in your defense and you could end up with an all rogue second wave... poof

Another way would be to force the player to choose the troops up front to activate the second wave. Those troops are then lost after the boost wears off.

Honestly, I think it's just too imbalanced, and I doubt it's gonna fly.

DeletedUser32328

One way to nurf the effect is to have the extra wave randomly selected from troops that you have in your DA already. This would prevent a defender from creating a second wave that's covers the first waves weaknesses. Also too many rogues in your defense and you could end up with an all rogue second wave... poof

So in most cases, 2 times 2 spear fighters then.