• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

New members suddenly don't understand swap threads?

DeletedUser32439

your not going to win anything from a 5fp swap thread, so these threads are a watse of time.
or even a 10fp swap tread....

unless the owner is lvling it. or, the gb is very low lvl.

in a guild with swap thread going off every 10 min. 90% of them are a waste.

Czari

Update on our latest issue - I've gotten reports from two guild members that the new guy is now putting the FPs on their GBs ie. paying what he owes. Given that this person didn't ream me out then leave the guild is a good indicator that his was an honest mistake. What I still don't understand is why people don't ask if they have a question. When I first joined FoE and this guild, I asked a LOT of questions...here, in the guild, read as much info as I could, etc. I realize that's not everyone's style but when someone says, "I wasn't sure how it worked," imo asking would be a good idea.

DeletedUser27889

I'm at my wits end with this issue.

A new member who put down a new GB posted an attachment to that GB in every thread but was good enough to write 'I don't know where to put this it's new' so fine, I guess though I explained when they joined sticks to bricks is mandatory I never exactly explained what sticks to bricks were because I've had to spend so much time with each new member on swap threads.

So I fix the swap threads this interrupted and lead them over to the sticks to bricks thread.

Today again, I log on to see the same member has now posted all their Gbs in our 'Voluntary Obs donation thread' not understanding what 'obs' meant thinking it was just for GB donations. At least this one didn't cost me points to fix.

I don't understand this. Booting one person out is no different because it's just about every other new player since the attachment feature went live. I've had good members leave and another good member with one foot out the door looking to go to guilds that don't let new players in because of this. I can't blame them in the least, I'm sick of it and if it wasn't my guild honestly I'd be done too.

It's a very small guild, 16 members and all low level. The entire reason I made the guild was to show new players how to play the game. When I first started I picked a guild that really didn't know how to play, were very casual and just didn't know enough about the game to answer any questions, it was a real blind leading the blind situation and I wanted to provide a different experience for new players.

But the new players coming in now while not knowing how to play the game are also not bothering to ask and they just do whatever they want. While the GB attachment feature has made things easier for established players, in my opinion it has created a chaos for new players who can click a single button and break up threads and steal from guildmates even when it's not their intention.

This new crop of mobile/casual players coming in by the droves coupled with the 'break the guild' attachment feature has done more to break this game than anything else I've encountered in my time playing.

I have some good members in my W guild relying on me but it's gotten to the point I dread checking on that game because it's just going to be more fires to put out. Being a guild leader in a guild with old school players is fine, occasional things crop up and it does require more work in your game but being a guild leader to these new players feels like a job and sucks all the fun out of playing the game. Also any sense of commrodery or a team when instead of playing together you're just fixing their mistakes, reprimanding, booting, explaining it all again to someone new and repeating the cycle with just about every other one of them.

What has me at the end of my rope is now we explain this all in advance to every new member when they join and require them to confirm they understand and have no questions before adding them to threads. Only for them to do it and say 'Oh I didn't understand' after the fact.

DeletedUser

A new member who put down a new GB posted an attachment to that GB in every thread but was good enough to write 'I don't know where to put this it's new' so fine, I guess though I explained when they joined sticks to bricks is mandatory I never exactly explained what sticks to bricks were because I've had to spend so much time with each new member on swap threads.

So I fix the swap threads this interrupted and lead them over to the sticks to bricks thread.

Today again, I log on to see the same member has now posted all their Gbs in our 'Voluntary Obs donation thread' not understanding what 'obs' meant thinking it was just for GB donations. At least this one didn't cost me points to fix.

I don't understand this. Booting one person out is no different because it's just about every other new player since the attachment feature went live. I've had good members leave and another good member with one foot out the door looking to go to guilds that don't let new players in because of this. I can't blame them in the least, I'm sick of it and if it wasn't my guild honestly I'd be done too.

It's a very small guild, 16 members and all low level. The entire reason I made the guild was to show new players how to play the game. When I first started I picked a guild that really didn't know how to play, were very casual and just didn't know enough about the game to answer any questions, it was a real blind leading the blind situation and I wanted to provide a different experience for new players.

But the new players coming in now while not knowing how to play the game are also not bothering to ask and they just do whatever they want. While the GB attachment feature has made things easier for established players, in my opinion it has created a chaos for new players who can click a single button and break up threads and steal from guildmates even when it's not their intention.

This new crop of mobile/casual players coming in by the droves coupled with the 'break the guild' attachment feature has done more to break this game than anything else I've encountered in my time playing.

I have some good members in my W guild relying on me but it's gotten to the point I dread checking on that game because it's just going to be more fires to put out. Being a guild leader in a guild with old school players is fine, occasional things crop up and it does require more work in your game but being a guild leader to these new players feels like a job and sucks all the fun out of playing the game. Also any sense of commrodery or a team when instead of playing together you're just fixing their mistakes, reprimanding, booting, explaining it all again to someone new and repeating the cycle with just about every other one of them.

What has me at the end of my rope is now we explain this all in advance to every new member when they join and require them to confirm they understand and have no questions before adding them to threads. Only for them to do it and say 'Oh I didn't understand' after the fact.
And what makes it even worse is that you have to be able to explain things for both mobile and PC users, depending on which they use.

spnnr

Okay Manda - deep breaths my boy ..firefighting is expected ..

heres a few things you can try :
-is there any experienced players in the guild- or at least one or two who shows leadership and understands how the fps threads works?
If there is give them the job of helping a few of the players (a small team maybe 2-3) understand the fps swap threads. I ran practice swaps with them to make sure they get it.
-Set Invite for membership- Having too many new players wreaks havoc . Work on those you have - maximum 3 -4 new players and cull them when they go inactive . Incentivize forum communication -those who perform throw em an extra fps or two .
- Make things simple - To teach new players SIMPLIFY everything . Dont introduce too many new things such as having 1 or 2 fps swap threads and a stixx to brixx ..
- Once you have a core of players life gets easier.

Don't lose Faith/patience mate -somewhere among the new ones are the Mandas the second, third....

DeletedUser27889

Okay Manda - deep breaths my boy ..firefighting is expected ..
Thank you kindly, I humbly admit that after todays debacle I came right over here to rant and rave and rant and rave I did =)

heres a few things you can try :
-is there any experienced players in the guild- or at least one or two who shows leadership and understands how the fps threads works?
If there is give them the job of helping a few of the players (a small team maybe 2-3) understand the fps swap threads. I ran practice swaps with them to make sure they get it.
-Set Invite for membership- Having too many new players wreaks havoc . Work on those you have - maximum 3 -4 new players and cull them when they go inactive . Incentivize forum communication -those who perform throw em an extra fps or two .
- Make things simple - To teach new players SIMPLIFY everything . Dont introduce too many new things such as having 1 or 2 fps swap threads and a stixx to brixx ..
- Once you have a core of players life gets easier.
These are excellent suggestions, thank you! The guild is a little over a year old and I'd say we have a core group of 5-6 people, most are quiet but do everything that is asked of them and are the 'speak when spoken to' variety but no complaints there, they always do the right thing and ask questions when they need to. I have 1 leader working with me and another member who is decently familiar with the game and actually joined my guild on N so he knows exactly how a smooth guild should run. The three of us have been working together monitoring the threads and the new players. Other players will chime in to answer questions if they know the answer but these new ones haven't been bothering to ask any before they do whatever.

Currently we have a 5 point swap, a 10 point swap, 20 point swap, Sticks to Bricks and a Voluntary Obs thread. I can't really think of a thread to remove as our swaps do get a lot of usage. The idea of only putting them in the 5 first is fantastic and exactly what I will be doing with any new members coming in.

Do you mean the guild forum? Unfortunately a lot of the members of that guild are mobile and can't access the guild forum. I wish there was another way to sticky important info.

Don't lose Faith/patience mate -somewhere among the new ones are the Mandas the second, third....
This actually made me laugh out loud. Thank you for your wonderful suggestions, reassurance and patience for my rants =)

Has anyone had any experience with changing the phrasing of swap threads? For instance if I called it a 'Forge Point TRADE' could that be more universally understood? Perhaps change 'sticks to bricks' to 'Brand new GBs/ Freshly planted GBs?' I don't know what I could change voluntary obs donations to, I write 'Voluntary Obs Donations "player name"' as the title. I don't want to change names and confuse all the people who already know what the threads are but maybe my familiarity with the terms isn't translating to new players?

DeletedUser34480

Haven't finished reading it all...
How about you tell regular players not to post fp to novice before checking him/her posted fps to previous player?
In most cases, I think, it is fairly easy to check, even if a bit of "scroll up" is involved :)

As a side note, I think this "swap" idea is overrated.
There might be free ride for those who post multiple times to same building and level of it.
I just make sure that reward points for the level are not wasted.

spnnr

Do you mean the guild forum? Unfortunately a lot of the members of that guild are mobile and can't access the guild forum. I wish there was another way to sticky important info.

This actually made me laugh out loud. Thank you for your wonderful suggestions, reassurance and patience for my rants =)

Has anyone had any experience with changing the phrasing of swap threads? For instance if I called it a 'Forge Point TRADE' could that be more universally understood? Perhaps change 'sticks to bricks' to 'Brand new GBs/ Freshly planted GBs?' I don't know what I could change voluntary obs donations to, I write 'Voluntary Obs Donations "player name"' as the title. I don't want to change names and confuse all the people who already know what the threads are but maybe my familiarity with the terms isn't translating to new players?

I meant the guild message center. At one guild I created a thread for new players where they are encouraged to post about issues and pertinent information is given. Give it a decent name related to the guilds name as a marketing tool eg. The Dragons Den . It generally reduces clutter on the main thread and helps those who need it.

As for the moniker I usually use things like "!! 3 FPS SWAP Thread!!" to avoid confusion with the "Trades needed" thread. Unfortunately, we have never done obs donations at such a low level as our feeling is that a low level player doesn't need the pressure of donating to obs. until their city fundamentals are good.

DeletedUser27889

How about you tell regular players not to post fp to novice before checking him/her posted fps to previous player?
This is a good idea. I'd rather not burden all the players with this task but at the same time asking everyone to just make sure the person ahead of them fulfilled their swap would take a big burden off leaderships shoulders and shouldn't be too hard on the members. It could then sort of work like a chain buddy/honor system.

It doesn't fix the problem but at least if it got caught right away it's much easier to fix as they can be skipped. The more I think about it the more I think this is going to be the best thing to do moving forward. Great idea, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, I'm almost embarrassed I didn't think of it myself.

As a side note, I think this "swap" idea is overrated.
There might be free ride for those who post multiple times to same building and level of it.
I just make sure that reward points for the level are not wasted.
It can be depending on the situation. When you're in a small guild like my one on W is with about 8-9 people swapping points you end up in a GB spot on every one of those buildings.

Unfortunately, we have never done obs donations at such a low level as our feeling is that a low level player doesn't need the pressure of donating to obs.
Ours is voluntary donation only no requirement in that guild. Which is what led to yesterdays confusion as the person just saw 'donation' and posted every GB there...

I meant the guild message center. At one guild I created a thread for new players where they are encouraged to post about issues and pertinent information is given. Give it a decent name related to the guilds name as a marketing tool eg.
Ah like a noobies anything goes thread? So maybe if I can't stop the crazy I can at least contain it in a way that doesn't harm any other players. I like that.

Thank you all, honesty there have been some amazing suggestions offered here and I'm going to begin implementing them immediately. You all have my most sincere gratitude.

DeletedUser

This is a good idea. I'd rather not burden all the players with this task but at the same time asking everyone to just make sure the person ahead of them fulfilled their swap would take a big burden off leaderships shoulders and shouldn't be too hard on the members. It could then sort of work like a chain buddy/honor system.

It doesn't fix the problem but at least if it got caught right away it's much easier to fix as they can be skipped. The more I think about it the more I think this is going to be the best thing to do moving forward. Great idea, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best, I'm almost embarrassed I didn't think of it myself.

It can be depending on the situation. When you're in a small guild like my one on W is with about 8-9 people swapping points you end up in a GB spot on every one of those buildings.

Ours is voluntary donation only no requirement in that guild. Which is what led to yesterdays confusion as the person just saw 'donation' and posted every GB there...

Ah like a noobies anything goes thread? So maybe if I can't stop the crazy I can at least contain it in a way that doesn't harm any other players. I like that.

Thank you all, honesty there have been some amazing suggestions offered here and I'm going to begin implementing them immediately. You all have my most sincere gratitude.
Just to add my 2 cents, one thing I have learned to stress (even with not-new players) is to have the FP on hand and donate IMMEDIATELY. I was surprised to find that even some experienced players would post on a swap thread with the intention of donating at a later time, like if they had a Hagia that they would be collecting from soon.

DeletedUser27889

Just to add my 2 cents, one thing I have learned to stress (even with not-new players) is to have the FP on hand and donate IMMEDIATELY. I was surprised to find that even some experienced players would post on a swap thread with the intention of donating at a later time, like if they had a Hagia that they would be collecting from soon.
Yes that was the only issue I had on my regular N guild. A new player not understanding more than their hourlies come later and thinking 20 FP meant 'give your NEXT 20 fp to...' but that was cleared up with ease as the person was putting them on but slowly. That one I understood a bit more.

But yes in our introduction to swap thread messages we send out to new members (Needed on W only for some reason) that info is included, though to me it makes more sense how one could be confused. It is harder to catch unless someone notices it took 20 hours to get all their FP though lol.

DeletedUser3882

your not going to win anything from a 5fp swap thread, so these threads are a watse of time.
or even a 10fp swap tread....

unless the owner is lvling it. or, the gb is very low lvl.

in a guild with swap thread going off every 10 min. 90% of them are a waste.
I would argue that you are one of the players this thread is aimed at. Care to expound further so that these experienced players can understand why a new player thinks they are a waste?

spnnr

Sort of -you can run a 1/2 fps swap in there to help them understand the concept and pass on pertinent info. Give it a cool name , lavish praise and a couple fps on those who are doing well. It can also point out those who you may need to cut and keep an eye on who to invest on.

I was never a guild leader- and think you lot are loony and awesome at the same time to take such responsibility and now I tend to go around helping small guilds in Greifental in that spirit. Best of luck mate

DeletedUser34548

Hi, I'm a new player and I don't understand swap threads. I've read through this forum thread and I've searched other forum threads about fps, swaps, snipes, locks, arcs, obs, and nasty people. All I've learned are... fragments... of a much larger ecosystem of pals, pirates, and oldtimers with views differing on subtle details.

I still don't understand swap threads. The rudimentary concept is obvious: You scratch my GB, I'll scratch yours. Beyond that, I'm clueless. There seem to be many ways to do it wrong.

A suggestion? Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain swap threads in some detail... without assuming us newbies know anything, since we don't. This explanation should include the alternate views and logic of competing schools of thought. You might also want to tie the discussion of swap to other issues, so we can see why we might want to swap... or not.

If I may be so bold: Title it: Introduction to Swap Threads. This will help newcomers find the information. Then if we don't read it, our fault.

Thank You!

DeletedUser

This explanation should include the alternate views and logic of competing schools of thought. You might also want to tie the discussion of swap to other issues,
Oh, believe me when I say that if you want someone to post a clear explanation of swap threads so newbies know how to use them, you definitely don't want that explanation muddied up with extraneous information like this. The newbies would come out of it scratching their heads harder than when they started.

DeletedUser3882

Hi, I'm a new player and I don't understand swap threads. I've read through this forum thread and I've searched other forum threads about fps, swaps, snipes, locks, arcs, obs, and nasty people. All I've learned are... fragments... of a much larger ecosystem of pals, pirates, and oldtimers with views differing on subtle details.

I still don't understand swap threads. The rudimentary concept is obvious: You scratch my GB, I'll scratch yours. Beyond that, I'm clueless. There seem to be many ways to do it wrong.

A suggestion? Perhaps you'd be kind enough to explain swap threads in some detail... without assuming us newbies know anything, since we don't. This explanation should include the alternate views and logic of competing schools of thought. You might also want to tie the discussion of swap to other issues, so we can see why we might want to swap... or not.

If I may be so bold: Title it: Introduction to Swap Threads. This will help newcomers find the information. Then if we don't read it, our fault.

Thank You!
What you are asking for is in the GUIDES section of the forum, or on the Wiki website, or found in google. Not many are going to jump through a big hoop to write up a guide for you (not quickly at least). This is a very complex game with numerous strategies, avenues and aspects to explore.

I enjoy reading, but some don’t so here’s one of the guides posted with videos (guide links to YouTube).
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/morbidejs-guides.14414/

Guide #2 provides a quick explanation of multiple methods to level a GB, including these swap threads.

Again, complex game with players living busy lives, time and efficiency becomes a factor quickly. Swap threads make a quick/easy solution to a person hunting a trade partner. I’ll save the rest for your researching enjoyment. If you have “specific” questions, many will be happy to answer/help. Post those in the “QUESTIONS” section of the forum.

DeletedUser34548

What you are asking for is in the GUIDES section of the forum...

Oh no. I'm not asking how to gain advantage. I only ask how to participate in a swap thread so as to annoy as few others as possible. The forum is replete with debate and instructions on how to gain advantage. I have already asked in my guild to see the rules but no reply.

DeletedUser

Oh no. I'm not asking how to gain advantage. I only ask how to participate in a swap thread so as to annoy as few others as possible. The forum is replete with debate and instructions on how to gain advantage. I have already asked in my guild to see the rules but no reply.
In every guild I have ever been in, it is the same simple process.
First, you need to have the required # of FP on hand for the amount specified in the thread title (5, 10, etc.). In other words, no IOUs.
Then you post the GB of yours that you want the next person to donate to. (This is best done with the attachment feature for ease of donation.)
To avoid simultaneous posting issues (2 people posting at the same time and both donating to the same GB, resulting in one of them not getting a donation), it is best to close and re-open the thread in between posting your GB and donating to the previous one.
When you re-open the thread, simply donate the required amount to the GB listed directly above yours. Done.

Graviton

In every guild I have ever been in, it is the same simple process.
First, you need to have the required # of FP on hand for the amount specified in the thread title (5, 10, etc.). In other words, no IOUs.
Then you post the GB of yours that you want the next person to donate to. (This is best done with the attachment feature for ease of donation.)
To avoid simultaneous posting issues (2 people posting at the same time and both donating to the same GB, resulting in one of them not getting a donation), it is best to close and re-open the thread in between posting your GB and donating to the previous one.
When you re-open the thread, simply donate the required amount to the GB listed directly above yours. Done.

At the risk of complicating things...to avoid simultaneous posting issues, I suggest that you post your GB first, *then* donate to the person ahead of you in the thread.

DeletedUser27889

This will be TL/DR for anyone who doesn't need to know how the swap threads work/why people use them or are looking for other ways to level their GBs. Maybe I'll post a forum guide to it later since I've already written one for my guilds use.

For starters it's obvious by just your one post that you are NOT the type of new player this post was written about. You bother to ask questions and try to find the answer, this was a rant'/question about new players posting things they don't understand and not bothering to ask anyone. It's good to know there are still new players coming in like yourself who are trying to find answers. Your guild members or leader should be able to answer most questions for you without you needing to come here for answers.

As swap threads are run by guilds as are any guild thread you may find your guild doing something different however if you were on W and joined my guild this is one of the welcome messages you would receive about swap threads:

"
We have 5-10-20 FP swap groups as well as a voluntary Obs donation thread. Due to issues that we've had in the past with adding new members to our swaps I'm going to give a quick run down of how swap threads work. If you're not new to the game then you already know the deal and can just skim.
1) Swaps- When posting in a swap thread, post your GB using the link feature then add the amount, 5 for the 5 thread 10 for the 10 etc. to the GB listed above yours. When the next person posts they will add to yours creating a neverending swap chain. The swap threads are not to be used for IOUs but only for points you can put on the building above as soon as you post.
2) Sticks thread-This is to help raise brand new GBs not to post buildings you're working on or are hoping to get help with. Please do not post anything other than a GB that you have just put down and need help raising, nothing else. If someone else posts one please put a few points on that building to help your mates.
3) Obs thread- This is completely voluntary but any participation helps the guild. In the title you will see the name of the individuals obs we are currently working on. Please don't post any GB or trade in there. If you make a donation you can go ahead and post how many you've added.
4) Trade thread please keep any trade posted in the trade thread fair. Also please don't post anything but trades in there.

If that all sounds okay to you let me know and I will add you into the threads. If you're completely new to the game please to hesitate to ask any questions you may have, were here to help. Glad to have you with us!
"

Now if someone has further questions or wonders why use swap threads I've written a more indepth guide that is also posted in our forum and I send out to all every couple months as a refresher just in case:

"
Swap Threads: What they are, how to use them:
To participate in swap threads you first post a link to the building you would like points on then place the points on the building linked above yours. The amount of points are determined by which thread you’re posting in. 5 points for the 5 thread, 10 points for the 10 threads etc.

When the next player posts their building they will then pay the points to your building, thus completing the swap. These are chain threads meant to run indefinitely.
Anytime you post in the swap thread the swap is to be completed directly after your post. For instance the 50 point thread is for players who have 50 points in their bank (or burning a whole in their inventory, no judgement =) ) and are looking to spend them immediately. These swaps are not meant for players to pay points over a series of days/hours but rather at the moment they post.

If you are looking for a 1 on 1 trade partner post in our main chat with what you’re looking to trade to see if anyone is interested. We do not interfere with any private trades among our members, whatever works for you and your partner is just fine by us.

Why use the Swap threads-
By putting the same amount of points you would be putting on your own building onto someone else instead you gain the chance to end up in a reward position on that persons GB potentially netting you blueprints, medals and forge points back in your inventory. If you place all your own points on your GB you will have no chance of those points ending you in a spot. In a swap chain any points you put to someone elses building will be put on yours by the following person so it equals out.

Are swap threads the best way?-
Yes and no, depending on where you are in the game and also your opinion. If you put all your points on your own buildings you will get random donations lowering your cost. If you put your own points on and have people with high boosted arcs willing to lock your spots you can save even more. If you yourself have a high level arc you can trade ‘locks’ IE top spots secured from snipers with other players. The downside to this is unless you are trading locks you are not getting any prints, and medals and no FPs into your inventory.

Another way to trade is to find a partner and swap points, be it any amount per day up until a decided upon amount or X amount per day. This gives a greater likely hood of you both ending up in spots than the swap threads would. Also swap groups which dedicate one day of the week to a particular players building. If you would rather a more secure way to end up in a spot you will prefer 1 on 1 swaps, if you prefer the freedom of spending points whenever you feel like it you would prefer the swap threads.

There’s no need to feel bad if taking a swap means knocking another player out of a spot, the swaps are meant to be ongoing, sometimes you end in a spot, sometimes you don’t. Unless you have been able to lock a position there are no guarantees.
"

The section about large arcs I leave out of W when I send this message because there are not very many and my members are all low era so theres no good in confusing people further.

Those should answer most of the questions you had about them but if you're looking for more opinion based info you'll find those scattered across the forum.

How I personally level my buildings:
On W my whole city is centered around my guild and is not set up as a personal/player game. I use the swap threads to put BPs in other members hands and will supplement with some of my own points to lower costs. With there being much fewer arcs around me sniping is typically rare/non-existant.

On N where though I also help run the guild my game is set up for me and to be the best city I can run:
I have a level 80 arc and work with 2 other guildmates who also have a level 80 arc. Depending on the level of building I'm working on I will add enough of my own points for a level 80 arc to break even on spots 1 and 2. They will then add their full value FP to the GB and lock their spots.

I will then add more of my own points to make 3-5 profitable for a group of arc players on my friends list and they will take those.
Depending on the level of building I'm working on this cuts my costs down by 1/2 to a 1/3rd of what it would be normally.

Here's my last Chat level as an example:
Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 1.25.22 PM.png

For this level you can see I paid 349 and received 854 points for free. As there are BPs for 5th I posted it to the guild for 1 point BPs but no one took it before I was about to do my collection and wanted to flip for the increased boost.

If you level your building this way you must find a different way to gather inventory FP as putting FP on your own buildings obviously means you will get back nothing. To do this I will use my inventory FP to lock up any spots in my hood/friends list that have profit on them. I will sometimes convert my daily collection into inventory FP if asked to lock a building with them still on bar. I will always keep my eye on self levelers and drop 1FP so I can keep them in my contribution list.