• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Eliminate Friend messaging

nsiebold

Proposal

Current System (if applicable)
We can message people in our Friends list

Details
It has been brought to my attention in this thread that a few people have been sending spam messages to people in their Friends lists (I assume that they also spam their Guildmates but one thing at a time). By eliminating Friend messaging we could eliminate the vast majority of these annoying messages.

Abuse Prevention
This would eliminate abuse of the current messaging system

Visual Aids
NONE

Conclusion
WE ALL HATE SPAM!!!

DeletedUser31440

This should be in proposals so I can give it a resounding yes vote.

DeletedUser8428

Proposal

Details
It has been brought to my attention in this thread that a few people have been sending spam messages to people in their Friends lists (I assume that they also spam their Guildmates but one thing at a time). By eliminating Friend messaging we could eliminate the vast majority of these annoying messages.

Abuse Prevention

Visual Aids
NONE

Conclusion
WE ALL HATE SPAM!!!

:) ROTFL. I'm in.

DeletedUser31206

Proposal

Details

Abuse Prevention

Visual Aids
NONE

Conclusion
WE ALL HATE SPAM!!!
If this was in the Proposal Forum my vote would be no for if you did away with the ability to group message friends that would mean if I wanted to message all my friends like I do whenever I send a active friends check message (which for me is far more easier than comparing my friends list with the Event History) I would have to message all 220 of my friends individually and if you got rid of the ability to message individual friends there would be no way to talk to the ones that are not also members of my guild.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31592

Tweak your proposal to keep individual messages and eliminate group messages. Pretty sure that is what you meant, but it isn't clear.

And, then, I vote yes to end all group messages. Don't forget to ban neighbors from doing it as well.

DeletedUser8428

Tweak your proposal to keep individual messages and eliminate group messages. Pretty sure that is what you meant, but it isn't clear.

And, then, I vote yes to end all group messages. Don't forget to ban neighbors from doing it as well.

I'm with you - sorry Elaine. I am not a fan of group messaging.

DeletedUser

I agree. Stop all mass messaging except in-guild. Find some other way to eliminate inactive friends. I, unfortunately, have a spamming friend on one world that I would delete, except she's also in my hood. Once we rotate apart, she's gone.

DeletedUser31206

If someone is sending spam messages, then report them. Don't prohibit group messages for legitimate game-related purposes! If there's one thing this game doesn't need, it's *less* communication.
Or if they truely don't want to receive any messages from the person they can always block the person.

Algona

If someone is sending spam messages, then report them. Don't prohibit group messages for legitimate game-related purposes! If there's one thing this game doesn't need, it's *less* communication.

Who gets to define'spam' and 'legitimate'? Also spamming messages is not explicitly against the rules. Just annoying as all hell.

Is a request for FP on a GB legitimate? How about a request to sit in the Tavern? That you're going to be OOG for a week?

Is a warning to the hood that if everyone doesn't pay they will be plundered legitimate?

Is a message to friends that if they don't respond in some way in a week they will be dropped legitimate?

How many Goods trades messages per day is legitimate?

----------

Let's flip this on it's ear.

What exactly do you feel you need to tell all your Friends? Hoodies?

Think about the corollary of that. For every message type you may want to send, there are 140 Friends and 80 hoodies who may want to send you the same stuff.

What's your limit on how many messages you want to read from Friends and hoodies per day? If only 10% are sending out their 'legitimate' messages you are getting 20+ more messages per day.

Block people who send you too many messages? That;s the answer? You want to set up a system to increase communications with the only control eliminating communications?

----------

How about this instead? Players can opt into entire hood and friends communications and you can send and receive to all the Friends and Hoodies who also opted in. You get to do all your communicating and blocking and such.

The rest of us get to avoid reading your GBs and Goods messages.

Last edited:

Darth Mole

No to stopping friends messages per se. Plenty of occasions one might want / need to speak to one or more friends legitimately.

DeletedUser31206

Who gets to define'spam' and 'legitimate'? Also spamming messages is not explicitly against the rules. Just annoying as all hell.

Is a request for FP on a GB legitimate? How about a request to sit in the Tavern? That you're going to be OOG for a week?

Is a warning to the hood that if everyone doesn't pay they will be plundered legitimate?

Is a message to friends that if they don't respond in some way in a week they will be dropped legitimate?

How many Goods trades messages per day is legitimate?

----------

Let's flip this on it's ear.

What exactly do you feel you need to tell all your Friends? Hoodies?

Think about the corollary of that. For every message type you may want to send, there are 140 Friends and 80 hoodies who may want to send you the same stuff.

What's your limit on how many messages you want to read from Friends and hoodies per day? If only 10% are sending out their 'legitimate' messages you are getting 20+ more messages per day.

Block people who send you too many messages? That;s the answer? You want to set up a system to increase communications with the only control eliminating communications?

----------

How about this instead? Players can opt into entire hood and friends communications and you can send and receive to all the Friends and Hoodies who also opted in. You get to do all your communicating and blocking and such.

The rest of us get to avoid reading your GBs and Goods messages.
I for one don't mind group friend messages and if it isn't an ask for help with a trade I just delete it. Yes most of us belong to guilds and ask for their help with trades, but sometimes they don't always have what a person needs and as for active friend check messages unless they don't use that as a title you don't have to even read them all you've got to do is remove them.

DeletedUser31440

Just as an FYI, FoE defines spam messages as sending the same message every 3 seconds or less.

DeletedUser31206

Just as an FYI, FoE defines spam messages as sending the same message every 3 seconds or less.
So my sending a group friend message once every other week would not constitute as spam.Besides who in their right mind would think it necessary to send the message over and over every 3 seconds or so. I mean yes if it's a Guild message I will copy and paste the reason and/or rules of the message so that people don't have to scroll up to find it, but to me most messages like asking for help with a trade from my friends or active friends check is a one time deal and I delete them after I'm done with them