• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Winter Event 2018

RaveWolf

"Always Winter but never Christmas."
just look at the announcement video: reindeer, elves, wrapped presents, decorated trees, Santa Claus, etc. It *IS* the Christmas event, so why not call it the Christmas Event?
Nowhere in the event (unless I missed it somehow of which I will then retract the following) does it mention that it is based on "The Birth of Christ".

So, How is it a Christmas Event???

Zatrikon

I don't think it's a matter of causing offense so much as it is wanting to be inclusive. Nothing wrong with that. This game is a global one, there are players from all walks of life.
Right. There's nothing wrong with being inclusive. And it's great that there are players from all walks of life. I don't know what that has to do with using the word "Christmas". Using the word "Christmas" for what is clearly a Christmas event does not exclude anyone. The game does not detect who celebrates Christmas and who doesn't. It doesn't prevent anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas from participating in the event.

Does the statue of Zeus exclude all those who don't worship the Greek gods? And the Oracle of Delphi?
Not everyone who plays this game is American, but they included the American capitol building.
They included the Tower of Babel - from the Bible.
What about all the churches and cathedrals that are great buildings?
Cathedral of Aachen, Notre Dame, Frauenkirche of Dresden, Hagia Sophia (former church, now a mosque), St. Basil's Cathedral, St. Mark's Basilica. Do these "exclude" anyone from the game?

Is there anyone out there who says, "I'll participate in this event with decorated (Christmas) trees, and (Christmas) presents, and (Christmas) elves, and Santa Claus - but only as long as they call it the 'Winter Event'. If they use the word 'Christmas' then I'll feel excluded."? How stupid is that?

DeletedUser31440

You've brought this upon yourselfs, now behold the majesty of the FLYING SPHAGHETTI MONSTER!!!

Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage_HD.jpg

RaveWolf

this event with decorated (Christmas) trees, and (Christmas) presents, and (Christmas) elves, and Santa Claus
Elves are from Scandinavia
Reindeer = Northern Icy regions of the globe
Christmas tree = Made up from multiple cultures i.e Livonia (Sweden), also as far back as Saxons and Pagans, Gregorians, Poland.
Wreaths = From Ancient Greece and Rome.
Santa Claus = aka "St. Nicholas" Born 280 A.D.
Gifts = A tradition as old as humans.
Tinsel = Represents Snow (and yes it does snow in Jerusalem)
Candles = used in multiple ceremonies, not only Christian.
Mistletoe = from Ancient Druids.

I could go on, but so far the only connection to Christianity is the Tinsel.

Jase249

You've brought this upon yourselfs, now behold the majesty of the FLYING SPHAGHETTI MONSTER!!!

[poster's note]: image removed because no needs to see that twice...

Am I the only one to notice that the Flying Spaghetti Monster is slightly, um, suggestive?

Also I'm pretty sure the, uh, how should we put this...the "floppage" on the guy on the left probably violates Forum rules lol.

Funny though :)

Last edited:

DeletedUser31440

For anyone who hasn't been introduced, The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the central figure of Pastafarianism. Pastafarianism is a reaction to a Kansas School Board wanting to teach creationism in public schools. Author argues that if Christianity gets any air time in the schools, pastafarianism should as well. Author also makes a very convincing argument about global warming, the temperature of the Earth is directly related to the number of pirates on Earth, the more pirates the colder the temperatue, he's even got a graph to corroborate, so it's super legit.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070407182624/http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

Jase249

Let's try this. I suggested previously (several times) that there really isn't anything worth spending for if you've reached the point in the game where you have more SoKs, WWs etc. than you can possibly fit. I would love to be wrong. Are there any players in a similar situation who see potential here that I'm overlooking other than the Winter Spire itself? This isn't rhetorical; if I I've missed something I'd love to have someone point it out. Only 13 hours left on the "bonus stars" promotion (though it will probably come up again at some point).

DeletedUser33179

Enough of the Christmas loving/Christmas bashing!

Focus on Event feedback, please. If you absolutely, positively feel the need to praise or disparage something, keep it to the game prizes, Inno, or you luck - that's why we're all here :)

mamboking053

Enough of the Christmas loving/Christmas bashing!

Focus on Event feedback, please. If you absolutely, positively feel the need to praise or disparage something, keep it to the game prizes, Inno, or you luck - that's why we're all here :)

Shrine of Knowledge fragments suck, lol.

They take up valuable quest slots. Why not just make them rarer instead of splitting them into pieces? If there's a good reason for them please tell, because they seem like the Inno version of taking a two hour concept and stretching it to a trilogy just for the monies.

Not really bashing here, I really would like to know. Why the fragments?

Besides that this event has been the smoothest I've eve played. I'm already at Q22 and stopped only because I have to wait for GE to start. The main prize is really good. Sucks I can't get two without bling-slinging.

DeletedUser33179

Shrine of Knowledge fragments suck, lol.

They take up valuable quest slots. Why not just make them rarer instead of splitting them into pieces? If there's a good reason for them please tell, because they seem like the Inno version of taking a two hour concept and stretching it to a trilogy just for the monies.

Not really bashing here, I really would like to know. Why the fragments?

Besides that this event has been the smoothest I've eve played. I'm already at Q22 and stopped only because I have to wait for GE to start. The main prize is really good. Sucks I can't get two without bling-slinging.

The fragments are better than winning coins, supplies, or the underwhelming 5% coin boost

DeletedUser37175

So a couple of times I've seen the snowy theme in my village but mostly the normal one. Is there some trick to getting it to always show the theme?

DeletedUser36572

So a couple of times I've seen the snowy theme in my village but mostly the normal one. Is there some trick to getting it to always show the theme?

I may have it wrong, but the snow seems to show up when you have completed a Winter Event quest. I don't know if you can get it to show all the time.

DeletedUser37175

I may have it wrong, but the snow seems to show up when you have completed a Winter Event quest. I don't know if you can get it to show all the time.

Ah, ok that may be why I've only seen it a couple of times. Too bad, it's a cool look! Thanks.