• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Experimental City Ideas

Nicholas002

Hey, does anyone have any cool ideas for an experimental city? I think it would be a lot of fun to start a challenge city, just to try out one specific aspect of the game.
Examples could be a TinyTown, using only the initial 16 expansions, or a city in which you tried to get advanced age units in the bronze age, to have fun plundering, or trying to get an arc80 in the BA....etc.
Feel free to post any interesting ideas.

Vger

Not really a novel idea, been done by many already: No battles (other than the ones needed to get through the tutorial).

I did a city like that a while back on EN. Since deleted, but not because it was a bad idea, just RL issues.
It was actually a fun city, and prosperous (I think I was in PE when I left). No barracks to worry about. No traz needed. Etc. Saves a lot of space.
You can finish most (all??) events with this restriction. You have to skip some DC's.
Of course, if you like fighting and hate negotiating, you will totally not want to do this.

DeletedUser27301

In contrast to the no fights city idea, instead, no goods. No goods buildings, no goods generating GBs (not counting those that give to guild treasury). No event buildings that give goods. You can only get goods via plundering, awards, quests, trades, etc.

Vger

In contrast to the no fights city idea, instead, no goods. No goods buildings, no goods generating GBs (not counting those that give to guild treasury). No event buildings that give goods. You can only get goods via plundering, awards, quests, trades, etc.
That would be an interesting challenge. I think "No event buildings that give goods." would be a killer. Especially if you extend that to settlement reward buildings. Goods are a byproduct of an awful lot of event buildings. And give up my 30% atk bonus from Ygg just because of 20 goods? Well...it is supposed to be a challenge, right?

DevaCat

Hey, does anyone have any cool ideas for an experimental city? I think it would be a lot of fun to start a challenge city, just to try out one specific aspect of the game.
Examples could be a TinyTown, using only the initial 16 expansions, or a city in which you tried to get advanced age units in the bronze age, to have fun plundering, or trying to get an arc80 in the BA....etc.
Feel free to post any interesting ideas.
There is/was a thread of people doing the tiny town thing, but it's been quiet for a while. Fun for me to follow, but to actually try to do one would likely make me nuts.

(More nuts than usual that is)

Algona

Fun thread.

No Friends. Or no Guild. Or both. No DCs or no Events or no GE or no GBG. Although a lot of players skip a lot of that now...

No CMAP progress.

No Diamond spending.

Have to fulfill Story and Side Quests as fast as possible with no RQs.

Expansions can be placed only touching at most two other Expansions.

Build a city that looks like a city. For extra fun, add in a theme park that changes to fit the current Event.

Nicholas002

Expansions can be placed only touching at most two other Expansions.
That could be cool. You could make a big loop around the entire thing with a wooded island in the middle.
People would look at your city, and be like WTH??

Last edited:

Super Catanian

Zero Event Buildings and play the game while placing down only Buildings that can be built from the Build Menu?
I'm just gonna flesh this out a bit. By the time I finish, it's gonna seem like just how many of us build cities anyways.

You can participate in Events to get the personal rewards like Units, Goods, FP, etc., as long as you adhere to the following rules.

Other special Buildings that aren't obtainable in Events are allowed. This includes all Buildings from the Cultural Settlements, the Statue of Honor and Road to Victory, the Art Exhibition, and Buildings exclusive to the Guild Expedition. You are allowed a maximum of two of each unique Building in these categories. Exceptions: only one SoH and Art Exhibition (also the main CS Buildings, because duh), and up to four of the unreleased Building (as of now).

No Event Buildings, including those not exclusive to any Event. No Wishing Wells, Shrines of any kind, Watchfires and the other towers, and stuff like that. There is only one exception to this rule. Choose any Event. You are allowed a maximum of one copy of each unique Event Building exclusive to that Event (Buildings from re-runs of the same Event are also allowed).

To honor the past, you are allowed up to one copy of each Building from Historical Questlines, since I don't really consider them as Events

A bit of a challenge. I know I'm up to it. Will you?

Nicholas002

I may try doing the "build all the GBs and only have GBs" thing on beta. You could even speed up the process by using all the free diamonds to buy most of the BPs ..or is that cheating?

DeletedUser

I have started a new city on Arvahall to try out some of these concepts. It will be only GBs/roads/Town Hall after I get the Oracle, I will not form or join a guild (so no GE/GvG/GBG), I will have no friends (so no Tavern Silver), and I will not complete any DCs or Event quests. I will collect the daily event currency and spend it, but will only use the FP/goods/coins/supplies/medals won. Any buildings I win will be sold in the Antiques Dealer once I can access it. And after I get the Oracle, I will ignore the Story Quests. And no Diamond spending.

qaccy

Building only from the build menu is the most appealing 'challenge' type to me. It's kind of funny to think that would be considered a 'challenge' in today's version of FoE...shows how times have changed. I think the main appeal for me is based on a longing for seeing cities that reflect the age they're in beyond just the appearance of the Town Hall.