• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Players leaving

Darkest.Knight

The number of players I've removed from my f.list has always been pretty high, they are almost always players that haven't done much before they quit. My f.list of higher lvl players almost never has a quitter, it's pretty rare. The game isn't for those that like to rush thru. It's not surprising since most people are in hurry to get what they want and bail since the game requires patience to advance.

Johnny B. Goode

The number of players I've removed from my f.list has always been pretty high, they are almost always players that haven't done much before they quit. My f.list of higher lvl players almost never has a quitter, it's pretty rare. The game isn't for those that like to rush thru. It's not surprising since most people are in hurry to get what they want and bail since the game requires patience to advance.
I've never had much turnover in my friends lists on my 12 worlds. Before, however, it had almost always been the lower level players leaving. As I posted earlier, this time is different. Almost 1/3 of the players I've removed from my friends lists lately have been in the top half of my lists, meaning the higher ranked and longer playing friends. So this is not the same as always, no matter how much you and others try to say it is.

Darkest.Knight

No disagreement regarding different experiences, some r easily evaluated objectively others r subjective. No matter, enjoy however u choose to play.

Johnny B. Goode

So when I started keeping track about 3 weeks ago I had 590 players on my friends lists over 12 worlds. Today I removed 13 more red dot inactives. My total friends now is 404, however I have added 12 friends by accepting friend requests since I started. That means that of the original 590 only 392 remain, a loss of 198, or over 1/3 of the total. (33.56% to be exact) Even factoring in the addition of 12, my total of friends is down by 31.5%. In 3 weeks. That's not subjective, that's objective.

Pericles the Lion

I don't "need" to be right. I just usually am. :)
Especially when in a discussion with someone who thinks rushing through the ages is the best FoE strategy. :rolleyes:
Well, considering that you have been playing for over 8 years and haven't progressed beyond SAM, no one will accuse you of rushing through the ages. :rolleyes:

Emberguard

I don't "need" to be right. I just usually am. :)
Especially when in a discussion with someone who thinks rushing through the ages is the best FoE strategy. :rolleyes:

Just like with everything else in the game, rushing only becomes a problem if you're blindly taking a random approach. Rushing gives far more growth than a slow approach ever will if you're making purposeful decisions along the way. Especially now with there being less snipers (not no snipers, just less) than there were even a few years back

However, a new player tends to benefit from taking it slower simply because they don't yet know game mechanics, and are just blindly clicking things without looking at what resources need to be increased in production because it's about to run out

Johnny B. Goode

Rushing gives far more growth than a slow approach ever will if you're making purposeful decisions along the way.
I doubt that this is true. The only time I think this might be true is if you're already an experienced player and get into a top GBG guild right away. There is no way that it's true for new players, solo players, or players in guilds that are not heavily into GBG. I guess it probably depends on your definition of "growth". I mean, in lower ages you can much more easily do DCs and events (not to mention GBG and GE), and thus stock up on many resources, including buildings and other items that you can sell in the AD.

Emberguard

I doubt that this is true. The only time I think this might be true is if you're already an experienced player
As I said, it requires making purposeful decisions and not just blindly rushing forward without considering what your cities needs to succeed

The main reason new players find Aging up gets them stuck is because they don’t tend to recognise if they’re about to exceed their capability to keep up the pace they’ve set, that’s when they need to change the pace to something they can cope with or adapt their strategy to something better suited for their current progress. They also don’t tend to recognise at what point it ceases to be useful to continue camping

A new player tends to treat Aging up as their solution to all their problems instead of a tool to increase the game’s difficulty to match their city capability.

Most games with Aging up components have this same theme where rushing through the Ages will get you greater capacity for growth *BUT* is rarely fun for new players to immediately Age rush because it’s far more difficult to pull off than Age camping is, and therefore requires actively planning ahead

I guess it probably depends on your definition of "growth". I mean, in lower ages you can much more easily do DCs and events (not to mention GBG and GE), and thus stock up on many resources, including buildings and other items that you can sell in the AD.
And at the same time cripple their ability to expand their city

Again, new players tend to enjoy Age camping a whole lot more because it reduces game difficulty. It’s the closest thing to Easy Mode available.

But if you’re camping for extended periods of time beyond what’s necessary it also restricts space available which is one of the biggest necessities of growth. You’re not benefitting from a building if it’s stuck in inventory for years before you look at it. By then you’ll have no space for it, and never received its output

Cities I’ve camped have failed to grow faster than cities I’ve rushed purely because the camped cities run out of space too soon and never reach a difficulty level that challenges me. They’re fun cities to play with which is the point of playing any game. They’re just not growing to their full potential

xivarmy

I guess it probably depends on your definition of "growth".
Well I mean this is the crux of the matter.

To some extent aging up *is* the core metric for growth.

While aging up "too fast" can hamper your ability to *keep* aging up if you don't know what you're doing (the requirements will outstrip your capabilities and the means to fix it will be more difficult than in a lower age), staying in one era indefinitely is in many respects *not* growing - and often how a player's interest dies as they lack new experiences and challenging content.

I would only recommend indefinite camping to a veteran player who's looking for a different experience than their main world. The core game experience is aging up.

While one need not *always* be *rushing* while doing so, one should always have a plan for when they'll keep moving forward. A timeframe, a goal to accomplish first, something that triggers "it's time to keep moving".

PJS299

Sorry to but in, but in my opinion neither are great strategies. I don't think you should rush, but I don't think you should camp forever either. I would recommend sitting in an age long enough to finish the quests, and to get 2500+ of each good from that age. Then you try to build up enough fp and get the goods to research all the way through the next age.

Somebody said that Johnny B. Goode is only in SAM and has been playing for 8 years. That does kind of seem like camping to me… 5 months is enough time to get the goods and points to move to the next age, and any longer then 5 months is camping. Johnny playing for 8 years and not being past SAM seems kind of hypocritical.

You have to practice what you preach.

Johnny B. Goode

Sorry to but in, but in my opinion neither are great strategies. I don't think you should rush, but I don't think you should camp forever either. I would recommend sitting in an age long enough to finish the quests, and to get 2500+ of each good from that age. Then you try to build up enough fp and get the goods to research all the way through the next age.

Somebody said that Johnny B. Goode is only in SAM and has been playing for 8 years. That does kind of seem like camping to me… 5 months is enough time to get the goods and points to move to the next age, and any longer then 5 months is camping. Johnny playing for 8 years and not being past SAM seems kind of hypocritical.

You have to practice what you preach.
Not that I have to explain myself to you, but I don't play by anyone else's rules, nor to fulfill anyone else's expectations. I start and delete cities all the time. It's actually amazing that I have two cities past FE. The SAM city will never progress farther in age, as it is strictly a Diamond farm with over 100 Wishing Wells. I have an AF city that camped for many months in CE and then again in FE. It is well positioned to keep progressing, but it will do so according to my wishes and not to please/impress anyone else. I don't advocate indefinite camping, but that doesn't mean I can't do it if I want to. I'm playing this game for my own enjoyment and not for yours.

The Lady Redneck

OK first Am not defending JBG He is able to do that very well LOL.

What I am doing is challenging your unfounded assumption about how people LOOK to be playing the game based on "What someone said". I think Johnny has been playing longer that 8 years. Like me, he is just one example of thousands of long time players who have worked their way through the game and are now simply playing as they want to. I (for one) have been playing over 10 years. and have a city in Iron Age. Does that mean I have been camped there for 10 years? Therefor am not playing the game properly and being in some way hypocritical when I post an opinion here? Or is it a Been There Done That thing?

After playing the game for so long using so many different strategies many players no longer have any great interest in having a city just to go through the same sort of thing over and over. I have discovered the ages I like the best so why should I be bothered ploughing through the rest of them?. I also have a diamond farm in FE which I intend remaining parked in simply because I like FE and it suits me to stay there. I that city I no longer have to bother with the endless grind of events there. Neither have I any need to do any more GBG, GvG, GE or PvP there unless the mood takes me. It is a great place to relax. I also have a city in SAJM that I have been camping it with all techs etc long completed. That is where I spend most of my game time. It is an exceedingly busy, fun place to be that is a lot of hard work. I have (Like many other players) also played multi world and had 16 + other cities over the years ranging from Iron on up that I have since deleted as they served no further purpose when I decided I wanted to change how I played the game. The Iron age city is actually my newest one, started purely out of curiosity after listening to the endless wailing about how hard it was to get going in the game these days. So I wanted to keep my hand in and maybe help some newbies. What I actually did find is that the game is an absolute dawdle in the early ages with very little to challenge any gamer at all. So I see no need to move into the next age.

PJS299

OK first Am not defending JBG He is able to do that very well LOL.

What I am doing is challenging your unfounded assumption about how people LOOK to be playing the game based on "What someone said". I think Johnny has been playing longer that 8 years. Like me, he is just one example of thousands of long time players who have worked their way through the game and are now simply playing as they want to. I (for one) have been playing over 10 years. and have a city in Iron Age. Does that mean I have been camped there for 10 years? Therefor am not playing the game properly and being in some way hypocritical when I post an opinion here? Or is it a Been There Done That thing?

After playing the game for so long using so many different strategies many players no longer have any great interest in having a city just to go through the same sort of thing over and over. I have discovered the ages I like the best so why should I be bothered ploughing through the rest of them?. I also have a diamond farm in FE which I intend remaining parked in simply because I like FE and it suits me to stay there. I that city I no longer have to bother with the endless grind of events there. Neither have I any need to do any more GBG, GvG, GE or PvP there unless the mood takes me. It is a great place to relax. I also have a city in SAJM that I have been camping it with all techs etc long completed. That is where I spend most of my game time. It is an exceedingly busy, fun place to be that is a lot of hard work. I have (Like many other players) also played multi world and had 16 + other cities over the years ranging from Iron on up that I have since deleted as they served no further purpose when I decided I wanted to change how I played the game. The Iron age city is actually my newest one, started purely out of curiosity after listening to the endless wailing about how hard it was to get going in the game these days. So I wanted to keep my hand in and maybe help some newbies. What I actually did find is that the game is an absolute dawdle in the early ages with very little to challenge any gamer at all. So I see no need to move into the next age.
I totally agree on that first sentence lol. I should've put that I don't know if that was true, the 8-year thing. Somebody said that in a previous post, so I elaborated on it.

I don't mind how anybody plays the game, play it how you want. I have rushed in some worlds, and camped in others. I have just found a strategy that works best for me. Keyword: "me." This game is highly customizable, and you can play it however you want. I have only been playing 3 years, and my main city is in Indy, so obviously you can tell that I've camped. What I mean is that camping in one age forever isn't the best strategy, and if you want to keep healthy growth, then it is best to age up.

Your diamond farm is a different story, though. Camping there is fine, because you're not really doing anything except for collecting. Also, camping in SAJM isn't really camping, as you can't go further.

In the end, my strategy is what works best for me. I have never spent any money on the game, and I like to take things slow, like you said. I completely understand wanting to try the game different ways, and that makes sense. I started a city in Brisgard just trying to fix the mistakes I made in my main city. And yes, the early ages are kind of boring...

PJS299

Not that I have to explain myself to you, but I don't play by anyone else's rules, nor to fulfill anyone else's expectations. I start and delete cities all the time. It's actually amazing that I have two cities past FE. The SAM city will never progress farther in age, as it is strictly a Diamond farm with over 100 Wishing Wells. I have an AF city that camped for many months in CE and then again in FE. It is well positioned to keep progressing, but it will do so according to my wishes and not to please/impress anyone else. I don't advocate indefinite camping, but that doesn't mean I can't do it if I want to. I'm playing this game for my own enjoyment and not for yours.
Sorry, it was just some friendly banter, I didn't know you what get so defensive.

Like I said to The Lady Redneck, I just saw someone post that and elaborated on that post. Your SAM city being a diamond farm makes more sense, and you should definitely play for your enjoyment. I have a main city, and only have deleted one city because I didn't have the time for it. Play how you want to play, and sorry, I should've verified that information first.