• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the Guild Battlegrounds Update 2023

Be Chuille

Are there 7 evenly matched guilds it top diamond? are there 7 evenly matched guilds in any league?
In all the worlds I have played there is always 2 or 3 top guilds, those 2 or 3 may have a pretty wide gap between them, after those 2 or 3 the rest of the guilds fall off quickly with the gap between them growing wider very quickly.
To do what some here are suggesting would mean the top 2 guilds always fighting on the same map with no other guilds on the map.
Not necessarily.
Maybe they should stop the pattern of putting 2 top guilds and then a bunch of guilds out of their league on the same map.
One solution might be to put fewer guilds on the top maps. 3 or 4 would work.
Then calculate a range based on the fight history of the members of the guilds, and the size of the guilds, and have a true league of similarly powered guilds battling against each other.
The league placement as it is now makes no sense.

Angry.Blanket

Not necessarily.
Maybe they should stop the pattern of putting 2 top guilds and then a bunch of guilds out of their league on the same map.
One solution might be to put fewer guilds on the top maps. 3 or 4 would work.
Then calculate a range based on the fight history of the members of the guilds, and the size of the guilds, and have a true league of similarly powered guilds battling against each other.
The league placement as it is now makes no sense.
That is exactly what I said, There are only 2 or 3 guilds on all my worlds that can compete with each other. it has been the same 2 or 3 as long as I have been playing.the other guilds the gap between them grows very fast, that would mean every season would be the same guilds with no change ever because most players are saying the don't want to move up.

xivarmy

Are there 7 evenly matched guilds it top diamond? are there 7 evenly matched guilds in any league?
In all the worlds I have played there is always 2 or 3 top guilds, those 2 or 3 may have a pretty wide gap between them, after those 2 or 3 the rest of the guilds fall off quickly with the gap between them growing wider very quickly.
To do what some here are suggesting would mean the top 2 guilds always fighting on the same map with no other guilds on the map.
Yes, someone would always get stuck with those top guilds, and might not want to be there. Which is why this round of changes to make it so you can at least struggle a little better in those rounds was important. So the fish food stops sandbagging and sending even weaker fish up in their place :p Can't get your tourney grounds down in platinum, better try to win!

Platinum is 100 times better for the moment while guilds still want to climb - and while you might not notice the difference from the top, a better class of guild that has a slightly more reasonable chance of fighting back and is less miserable for being there will arrive in diamond to be sent back down while that is going on. Will it last? We'll have to wait and see.

There is probably room for improvement in the matchmaking even if perfect is hopeless because there isn't enough parity at the top of the rankings to get a brawl between 8 well-matched guilds. i.e. those rank-100 guilds coming up from platinum probably could use 1 season's insulation before they wind up in with the top guilds - top 20 guilds would beat them back down just as readily while leaving them a bit more room to feel they can do something and could improve enough to eventually put up a good fight against them.

There are systems that would make that more likely to happen. But I think they have to see how the changes to player-incentives change behavior before they do more. i.e. if I get good fun competitive platinum rounds, I'm just fine with diamond being a beatdown. As long as the sandbagging is gone, it might work "well enough".

Angry.Blanket

Yes, someone would always get stuck with those top guilds, and might not want to be there. Which is why this round of changes to make it so you can at least struggle a little better in those rounds was important. So the fish food stops sandbagging and sending even weaker fish up in their place :p Can't get your tourney grounds down in platinum, better try to win!

Platinum is 100 times better for the moment while guilds still want to climb - and while you might not notice the difference from the top, a better class of guild that has a slightly more reasonable chance of fighting back and is less miserable for being there will arrive in diamond to be sent back down while that is going on. Will it last? We'll have to wait and see.

There is probably room for improvement in the matchmaking even if perfect is hopeless because there isn't enough parity at the top of the rankings to get a brawl between 8 well-matched guilds. i.e. those rank-100 guilds coming up from platinum probably could use 1 season's insulation before they wind up in with the top guilds - top 20 guilds would beat them back down just as readily while leaving them a bit more room to feel they can do something and could improve enough to eventually put up a good fight against them.

There are systems that would make that more likely to happen. But I think they have to see how the changes to player-incentives change behavior before they do more. i.e. if I get good fun competitive platinum rounds, I'm just fine with diamond being a beatdown. As long as the sandbagging is gone, it might work "well enough".
There will always be 1 dominant guild, If you take the top 2 guilds and place only them together the outcome will always be the same, even if you add 5 weaker guilds to the mix the dominant guild will always win. Then the players in the #2 ranked guild will slowly migrate to the #1 guild because they are tired of always losing until the #1 guild is full and has a waiting list same as now.
Its not the ranking system that is at fault, its the lack of interest in this aspect of the game, Every world has X numbers of players that have interest and desire to be at the top, usually less than 160 needed for 2 full top ranked evenly matched guilds. those players will always seek each other out. The amount of 1 and 2 player guilds tells the story.

Amitola1

There will always be 1 dominant guild, If you take the top 2 guilds and place only them together the outcome will always be the same, even if you add 5 weaker guilds to the mix the dominant guild will always win. Then the players in the #2 ranked guild will slowly migrate to the #1 guild because they are tired of always losing until the #1 guild is full and has a waiting list same as now.
Its not the ranking system that is at fault, its the lack of interest in this aspect of the game, Every world has X numbers of players that have interest and desire to be at the top, usually less than 160 needed for 2 full top ranked evenly matched guilds. those players will always seek each other out. The amount of 1 and 2 player guilds tells the story.
I think that is an accurate description of what GBG is right now with the change. Will it change, I don't know. As a 12 member guild with a decent treasury we do not kid ourselves that we are Diamond material and not sure we want to be. Platinum is working well for us at the moment so "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of a situation. We are mostly a day crew GBG right now. We know our strengths and weakness's. We are working on both. As I understand it we can make it to Diamond for fragments of the Tourney Grounds as we fight or negotiate as individuals. So there is incentive to at least get to Diamond for that. If that's not true please let us know.

Emberguard

As I understand it we can make it to Diamond for fragments of the Tourney Grounds as we fight or negotiate as individuals. So there is incentive to at least get to Diamond for that.

Just so you're aware, based on the results other people are getting you'll likely need somewhere in the region of 4,000 - 4,300 battles to get the fragments for the Tourney Grounds

We're on season 2 / 6

So if you're planning to go into Diamond specifically for the building, work out how many of the remaining 4 seasons you need to get in to achieve the 4,000 - 4,300 battles

Pericles the Lion

Just so you're aware, based on the results other people are getting you'll likely need somewhere in the region of 4,000 - 4,300 battles to get the fragments for the Tourney Grounds

We're on season 2 / 6

So if you're planning to go into Diamond specifically for the building, work out how many of the remaining 4 seasons you need to get in to achieve the 4,000 - 4,300 battles
The Tourney Grounds is a limited building that only lasts 14 days. To get one, and keep it active, a Diamond level player needs to average about 4200 per season.

Sharmon the Impaler

The Tourney Grounds is a limited building that only lasts 14 days. To get one, and keep it active, a Diamond level player needs to average about 4200 per season.
The thing is the Tourney is mostly helpful in GE NOT GBG. It only gives attack for GBG not defense for attack too. It's pretty lame for a GBG reward.

Orius Maximus

I'm still a bit amazed that people don't seem to be bothered by Inno screwing us by making hundreds of the old Statue of Honor fragments suddenly worthless.

It's not hundreds, it's only 200 to make the full pieces, but it's annoying I can't drop them all at once. I have to discard them each at once from 4 different piles -- the Statue, the Elephant and their two chain pieces.

I was overestimating the power of the old #1 guild it seems, we're actually ahead of them at this point. Maybe they're an old GvG powerhouse (which was definitely true) that never adapted to GbG. But we're matched up against at least two Diamond guilds that got bumped down to Platinum. I know at least one is, because they say as much in their guild description and they certainly fight like it. This is going to be an annoying season.

Amitola1

This brings about another question. I know the ToC could be replaced by another building according to the info put out by FoE. Is that also true for the TG? I got the impression that the TG would continue to be available. My plan was to just keep bouncing back and forth to pick up the fragments for the TG. Use it for 14 days and then continue to collect the fragments for another one and repeat.

Emberguard

This brings about another question. I know the ToC could be replaced by another building according to the info put out by FoE. Is that also true for the TG? I got the impression that the TG would continue to be available. My plan was to just keep bouncing back and forth to pick up the fragments for the TG. Use it for 14 days and then continue to collect the fragments for another one and repeat.

Based on the spoilers available in Beta I'm assuming the Tourney Grounds are also going to change next championship.

Pericles the Lion

Well then holding the whole map is still not a smart move, regardless of the reason for playing. If you want to fight, all good. I'd guess 90% of the folks in the cities in which I play sort of like the rewards that come along with it.
Actually, holding the entire map is a smart move if the goal is to win the season and the championship. However, the give and take from battling sectors - which is what generally happens - is about racking up rewards. Few players claim that they do it "for the battles".

Angry.Blanket

Well then holding the whole map is still not a smart move, regardless of the reason for playing. If you want to fight, all good. I'd guess 90% of the folks in the cities in which I play sort of like the rewards that come along with it.
The goal is to own the map, not to let some one else own it,

Amitola1

The goal is to own the map, not to let some one else own it,
If true and only 1 guild holds the map then GBG will soon become a "ghost town". edit 1 That would also mean that GBG would become a "Dictatorship".

edit 2 Also If this is true "Based on the spoilers available in Beta I'm assuming the Tourney Grounds are also going to change next championship."
then there is no incentive to move to Diamond and it would be wise to just stay in Platinum.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

If true and only 1 guild holds the map then GBG will soon become a "ghost town". edit 1 That would also mean that GBG would become a "Dictatorship".
But a single guild can hold the entire map only if all of the other guilds let them (especially now that there are building slots on the HQ sectors). In 3+ years playing in Diamond I've never seen this happen.

Angry.Blanket

edit 2 Also If this is true "Based on the spoilers available in Beta I'm assuming the Tourney Grounds are also going to change next championship."
then there is no incentive to move to Diamond and it would be wise to just stay in Platinum.
Fight for it. You are the leader of an Empire, you have been taking land and keeping it since you started the game,