• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the Guild Battlegrounds Update 2023

Emberguard

I'm in D1000 guilds on the two worlds that I play GBG. Last season, and again this season, there is no sector swapping happening.

I'm playing and this season I decided to hop Guilds to see what the bigger Guilds are doing. At first I was thinking it must have been a close match the previous season, because the Guild I joined came second but was very close to the score of the top Guild..... turned out they were doing swaps. And they're doing swaps this season too. Took maybe an hr or two before they brought up who they'd be swapping with this season

Some Guilds are definitely fighting as last season the island I was on had tough competition. But it's certainly not the case for everyone

Last edited:

Coach Zuck

Maybe something like this?

import random

def match_guilds(guilds, member_fight_counts):
"""
Matches up guilds in groups of 8 to compete against each other, taking into account the fight count of each member and the number of members in each guild.

Args:
guilds: A list of guilds.
member_fight_counts: A dictionary of member fight counts, where the key is the member ID and the value is the fight count.

Returns:
A list of groups of 8 guilds.
"""

# Calculate the total fight count for each guild.
for guild in guilds:
guild.total_fight_count = sum([member_fight_counts[member_id] for member_id in guild.member_ids])

# Sort the guilds by total fight count, starting with the highest total fight count and working our way down.
guilds.sort(key=lambda guild: guild.total_fight_count, reverse=True)

# Divide the guilds into groups of 8, starting with the highest total fight count and working our way down.
groups = []
for i in range(0, len(guilds), 8):
group = guilds[i:i + 8]
groups.append(group)

# If there are any guilds with the same total fight count, we can break the tie by randomly assigning them to a group.
for group in groups:
for i in range(0, len(group)):
if group.total_fight_count == group[i + 1].total_fight_count:
random.shuffle(group)

return groups

# Example usage:

guilds = [
guild(name="guild 1", member_ids=[1, 2, 3, 4, 5]),
guild(name="guild 2", member_ids=[6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]),
]

member_fight_counts = {
1: 100,
2: 90,
3: 80,
4: 70,
5: 60,
6: 50,
7: 40,
8: 30,
9: 20,
10: 10,
11: 1,
}

groups = match_guilds(guilds, member_fight_counts)

for group in groups:
print(group)

Would be good to add something to take into account that a smaller guild of strong members could be stronger than a big guild of weak members. One way is to use a weighted average. This means that you would give more weight to the fight count of the stronger members of the team. For example, you could give the top 20% of the team's members 2x weight, the next 20% 1.5x weight, and the remaining 60% 1x weight. This would give you a more accurate measure of the overall strength of the team.

Also maybe add something to perhaps factor in how long each member has been playing, with maybe an average fight count per year?
so guilds with low fight counts should have just as high of a chance of winning the championship as better guilds? because you can't or don't want to build your guild properly to compete with the ones with a higher fight count?
while we're at it let's give all the guilds 10000 diamonds per season and sing kumbayah.

Please tell me why, when I have spent 5 years building a guild with a good environment and incentives, keeping it around 80 members, why should I get a tougher match than you and further randomize the chance of you winning the championship over my guild? because you don't like the impact of your incompetence or choice? Just accept it and toggle between diamond and platinum.. You're so entitled.

Be Chuille

so guilds with low fight counts should have just as high of a chance of winning the championship as better guilds? because you can't or don't want to build your guild properly to compete with the ones with a higher fight count?
while we're at it let's give all the guilds 10000 diamonds per season and sing kumbayah.

Please tell me why, when I have spent 5 years building a guild with a good environment and incentives, keeping it around 80 members, why should I get a tougher match than you and further randomize the chance of you winning the championship over my guild? because you don't like the impact of your incompetence or choice? Just accept it and toggle between diamond and platinum.. You're so entitled.
Clueless response?
Who said that I want to win the championship or win over your guild?
I said that I do NOT want to even be on the same map with the powerhouse guilds.

That calculation you are quoting is intended to better match guilds with guilds that they can compete with on their own level.

Coach Zuck

There are many players that do not want to be in a guild that swaps every 4 hours, and where they need to compete with their own guildmates for a chance to get fights for the few minutes every 4 hours that they are available. Some players want a guild that is more relaxed. There is nothing wrong with that.

All we ask is that players are active and try their best.
We are not "weak" and we don't want to be weak. We do well in lower diamond and platinum.
We do not want to be in with the powerhouse guilds. They have a different view of the game, which is fine for them.

There is also nothing wrong with the very, very relaxed guilds with players who are less active and usually remain in lower leagues. They are doing it their way. Sometimes they end up on the map with us in platinum. We try to be considerate and not beach them. But they should not be on the same map with us either.

Some in this thread seem to think that everyone needs to play the game THEIR way.
stop winning+150 vp from platinum and start getting demoted from lower diamond then. Nobody wants you on the upper diamond map either, all the good upper diamond guilds who are perpetually in upper diamond want to fight each other and are fighting each other, merely ignoring your existance as they should because they're COMPETING.

Coach Zuck

Clueless response?
Who said that I want to win the championship or win over your guild?
I said that I do NOT want to even be on the same map with the powerhouse guilds.

That calculation you are quoting is intended to better match guilds with guilds that they can compete with on their own level.
the address how it impacts the championship when you're getting easier matches but gaining the same victories and victory points as the guilds who are better than you and competing in the same championship. Inno makes such bad decisions they may take the easy way out of this and basically copy and paste your solution which makes the championship problem worse.

Be Chuille

the address how it impacts the championship when you're getting easier matches but gaining the same victories and victory points as the guilds who are better than you and competing in the same championship. Inno makes such bad decisions they may take the easy way out of this and basically copy and paste your solution which makes the championship problem worse.
I don't think the ranking system is logical either. If you would actually read my posts instead of picking a few and misreading things, you would understand.

Amitola1

I don't think the ranking system is logical either.
I have to agree with @BlueAjah. Being in a small guild, 12 members, I would rather be able to compete in Platinum against other guilds who wish to stay there. The problem is that FoE doesn't make it easy to stay in Platinum and impossible to compete in Diamond at any level due to the way matching is done. I am not privy to the algorithm they use and don't care to know it. It just needs to be fixed. Let the large powerhouse guilds compete against each other and the weaker guilds compete against other. That's all we want.
edit: Contrary to popular belief, by big guilds, this game is more about building a city in the way that each player wants than becoming the "king of the hill".

Angry.Blanket

I have to agree with @BlueAjah. Being in a small guild, 12 members, I would rather be able to compete in Platinum against other guilds who wish to stay there. The problem is that FoE doesn't make it easy to stay in Platinum and impossible to compete in Diamond at any level due to the way matching is done. I am not privy to the algorithm they use and don't care to know it. It just needs to be fixed. Let the large powerhouse guilds compete against each other and the weaker guilds compete against other. That's all we want.
edit: Contrary to popular belief, by big guilds, this game is more about building a city in the way that each player wants than becoming the "king of the hill".
What it seems most players want is a private battleground they can go and get as many rewards as they want with out any competition from other players.
How can we make FOE a boring game with no competition or excitement.

Be Chuille

What it seems most players want is a private battleground they can go and get as many rewards as they want with out any competition from other players.
How can we make FOE a boring game with no competition or excitement.
I guess you missed the part of the quote you copied where they said "I would rather be able to compete".
Where did they mention rewards?

Sharmon the Impaler

I guess you missed the part of the quote you copied where they said "I would rather be able to compete".
Where did they mention rewards?
You want to compete but you don't want competition. Let me guess , a league where you stay in perpetuity with a guild the same or lower stength than your guild. This is what happens when a generation is given participation "medals" all through school.

Last edited:

Be Chuille

You want to compete but you don't want competition. Let me guess , a league where you stay in perpetuity with a guild the sme or lower steength than your guild. This is what happens when a generation is given participation "medals" all through school.
OMG! LOL! First of all... when did I say that I want easy competition? I just want fair competition.
And since I am old enough to be a grandmother, I am hardly in the generation you are implying.

You don't put a 120 lb wrestler on the mat with a 220 lb wrestler and expect a fair fight.

People on this forum like to put words in people's mouth and twist things around.

Sharmon the Impaler

OMG! LOL! First of all... when did I say that I want easy competition? I just want fair competition.
And since I am old enough to be a grandmother, I am hardly in the generation you are implying.

You don't put a 120 lb wrestler on the mat with a 220 lb wrestler and expect a fair fight.

People on this forum like to put words in people's mouth and twist things around.
So you want Inno to set up a live database of all guild fighting relevant stats (there are about 30 total) on each guild as they are fighting throughout the week. This is thousands of guilds across the globe that will choke off any but the fastest connections, degrading the system performance byleast 20% from what it is now. Then you want Inno to take this huge amount of data and run a comparitive analysis of each dataset until it matches each guild with 6 very similar guilds in size , strength , activity , individual boosts , global guild boosts , past fighting history with other guilds and the past GBG results or every single guild that is eligible and do this all in realtime fast enough to start GBG at staggered start times because of 38 global time zones. This is all because you want a championship that really isn't one because now it is a leagues of championships not just one. Wrestling ? What does a computer game have to do with physical strength ? Try another strawman arguement. This would mean a complete redo of the whole game just to make you happy , entitled much ?

Be Chuille

So you want Inno to set up a live database of all guild fighting relevant stats (there are about 30 total) on each guild as they are fighting throughout the week. This is thousands of guilds across the globe that will choke off any but the fastest connections, degrading the system performance byleast 20% from what it is now. Then you want Inno to take this huge amount of data and run a comparitive analysis of each dataset until it matches each guild with 6 very similar guilds in size , strength , activity , individual boosts , global guild boosts , past fighting history with other guilds and the past GBG results or every single guild that is eligible and do this all in realtime fast enough to start GBG at staggered start times because of 38 global time zones. This is all because you want a championship that really isn't one because now it is a leagues of championships not just one. Wrestling ? What does a computer game have to do with physical strength , try another strawman arguement.
I work as a database administrator. It really is not as difficult or resource intensive as you make it out to be.
And they already have most of that information.

Sharmon the Impaler

Having information and turning this into actionable intelligence is two completely different things. This would be a massive load on the servers.

Sharmon the Impaler

Really? That is the purpose of databases. To use the information for actionable intelligence.
That's my whole point , even if they collect all this data live they still have to use it. That lag that everyone feels at the start of GBG is the data being feed into the SQL tables. Now you want them to do this all the time and write the classes and modules to actually use it to match every gulld on the planet with 6 similar gullds with similar stats.

Ebeondi Asi

There is the possibility that they just do not care, or, even more likely in my mind, it is deliberate. ? lot of the game include large portion of deliberately added frustration and aggravation.
I am pretty sure that it's a deliberate addition to the game.
Seems getting annoyed is just as satisfying an emotion as winning...
(proof is you would not be here complaining unless you got something out of the act of complaining itself. Since we all know here is zero response from Inno.)

I'm here because it is fun.. :p

Last edited:

Amitola1

There is the possibility that they just do not care, or, even more likely in my mind, it is deliberate. ? lot of the game include large portion of deliberately added frustration and aggravation.
(proof is you would not be here complaining unless you got something out of the act of complaining itself. Since we all know here is zero response from Inno.)

I actually came to that conclusion when I started playing this about 7 yrs ago, played for 3 yrs, got tired and took 3 years off. Have been back for about 22 months now. So I've known INNO doesn't care for about 6 yrs. doesn't stop me from making suggestions hoping they might start caring. I know they need to make money or there would be no game for us to complain or argue about. Just be thankful that we aren't trying to avoid bombs, RL attacks or missiles like some parts of the world. I think I read somewhere that INNO is involved in helping Ukraine by donating to their cause. Can't remember how now. So let's give them some credit for that.

Angry.Blanket

Im here a lot now because I have more free time on my hands with the new GbG format.

Angry.Blanket

Are there 7 evenly matched guilds it top diamond? are there 7 evenly matched guilds in any league?
In all the worlds I have played there is always 2 or 3 top guilds, those 2 or 3 may have a pretty wide gap between them, after those 2 or 3 the rest of the guilds fall off quickly with the gap between them growing wider very quickly.
To do what some here are suggesting would mean the top 2 guilds always fighting on the same map with no other guilds on the map.