• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GBG Championship

How do we know which guilds we are competing against in a "Championship", if we don't face those guilds each season? How do we know where we stand relative to those guilds?

There's been a "1st Place Reward" icon in the upper right corner of the GBG map for both seasons. Does that mean we're in 1st place relative to our championship, or is it just a constant reminder of what the 1st place reward will be?

Sharmon the Impaler

1 1st place reward means 3000 frags and there are 6 seasons in the championship. The guild with the highest winning VP claims the championship after the 6 weeks is up. There are no "elimination" rounds like a real championship if that is what you're asking.

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

You are competing against all of the guilds on your world. You can see where you stand by looking at the Global Ranking (click on green wreath at the upper left on your screen). The first cut on determining the Championship winner is League Points (a level 1000 Guild will win). The second cut is the number of seasonal victories. The third cut is the number of victory points earned during the 6-season Championship.

Here's the excerpt from the "New Championship" section (very bottom) of the Addressing feedback page:

Under the new system, each Championship will span across 6 battleground seasons. The guilds you will compete against in your Championship will remain the same throughout these 6 seasons. There might be changes though, if a new guild is founded or deleted during your Championship.

However, it is important to note that this does not mean you will directly compete against these guilds in every individual battleground season.
Instead, the overall Championship ranking is determined based on how each participating guild performs during the individual seasons. Your guild's performance during each season will contribute to your overall standing in the Championship.

(I added the bold to the quote for emphasis). This is strange wording if you're competing against every guild in your world. The parts in bold seem to insinuate that guilds are grouped, and you're competing against a specific, fixed set of guilds in your world. If you're against all the guilds in your world, then of course the guilds you compete against will remain the same. Why would that need to be said?

Pericles the Lion

The wording in the announcement could have been more precise but that does not change the fact that you are competing against all of the guilds on your world. This is easy to verify by looking at the guild rankings....all the guilds appear on the ranking. All guilds have a chance to win the Championship, with some having a better chance than others.

jaymoney23456

The thing with the 'championship' is that you get nothing for winning it besides a stat next your guild under number of championships won. Sure it would be nice to have won championships. I am more interested in getting the lv 2 tower of champions though. Also, it could end up pretty skewed. It could be that a guild that was in the lower leagues and piled up victories and ended up at 1000 lp at the end of the championship gets the championship victory even though they would never have won or even played a map at 1000 lp.

Dominator - X

Here's the excerpt from the "New Championship" section (very bottom) of the Addressing feedback page:

(I added the bold to the quote for emphasis). This is strange wording if you're competing against every guild in your world. The parts in bold seem to insinuate that guilds are grouped, and you're competing against a specific, fixed set of guilds in your world. If you're against all the guilds in your world, then of course the guilds you compete against will remain the same. Why would that need to be said?
As I mentioned from day 1, the wording on INNO's announcement was terrible. Not to mention that they didn't even include a starting date when the released the announcement, leaving many to wonder when it was going to start.

There are 4 areas that the ranking is pulled from. Since INNO will not explain how things are weighted/calculated, we are left to assume based on current observations, how rankings are calculated. This is how I see it:

1st area is League Points. The tie-breaker for League points is Victories. The tie-breaker for Victories is Victory Points. The tie-breaker for Victory Points is Guild Level.

Victories and Victory Points are both cumulative for all 6 seasons. So you better get as many as you can during the Championship. League Points (apparently) only come in to play in the last (6) season. So, you better hope you are at 1000LP's when the Championship ends. Guild level will only come into play in the unlikely event that 2 or more guilds are tied for LP's, V's and VP's. What happens if 2 or more are tied for all 4 areas? At this point only INNO knows. And it would not surprise me if INNO didn't even know. At least at this juncture.

Much of this is based on my own observations. Additionally, included is seemingly factual as well as anecdotal evidence posited by various members since the first season ended. Again, since INNO is never very precise or clear in most of their announcements and explanations, we are left to... assume.

Sharmon the Impaler

As I mentioned from day 1, the wording on INNO's announcement was terrible. Not to mention that they didn't even include a starting date when the released the announcement, leaving many to wonder when it was going to start.

There are 4 areas that the ranking is pulled from. Since INNO will not explain how things are weighted/calculated, we are left to assume based on current observations, how rankings are calculated. This is how I see it:

1st area is League Points. The tie-breaker for League points is Victories. The tie-breaker for Victories is Victory Points. The tie-breaker for Victory Points is Guild Level.

Victories and Victory Points are both cumulative for all 6 seasons. So you better get as many as you can during the Championship. League Points (apparently) only come in to play in the last (6) season. So, you better hope you are at 1000LP's when the Championship ends. Guild level will only come into play in the unlikely event that 2 or more guilds are tied for LP's, V's and VP's. What happens if 2 or more are tied for all 4 areas? At this point only INNO knows. And it would not surprise me if INNO didn't even know. At least at this juncture.

Much of this is based on my own observations. Additionally, included is seemingly factual as well as anecdotal evidence posited by various members since the first season ended. Again, since INNO is never very precise or clear in most of their announcements and explanations, we are left to... assume.
Inno would handle it professionally I am sure. Flip a coin in the office and then subtract a point from the loser of the toss and not tell anyone lol

Johnny B. Goode

The wording in the announcement could have been more precise but that does not change the fact that you are competing against all of the guilds on your world. This is easy to verify by looking at the guild rankings....all the guilds appear on the ranking. All guilds have a chance to win the Championship, with some having a better chance than others.
Although I disagree that it's a logical conclusion from looking at the rankings that you're competing against all GBG guilds on your world, I can verify from Beta rankings that it is indeed true. You're competing against every other GBG guild on your world. On the Beta guild rankings, which have concluded their first Championship season, there is only one guild of the 1070 listed that has a 1 under Won Champ. (There are over 5000 guilds on Beta, but only those doing GBG are listed in the global rankings.) Interesting enough, the guild with that 1 Won Championship is listed in second place because they earned fewer Victory Points than the guild listed in first place. To my way of thinking, that's an indictment of this ranking system.

Pericles the Lion

Although I disagree that it's a logical conclusion from looking at the rankings that you're competing against all GBG guilds on your world, I can verify from Beta rankings that it is indeed true. You're competing against every other GBG guild on your world. On the Beta guild rankings, which have concluded their first Championship season, there is only one guild of the 1070 listed that has a 1 under Won Champ. (There are over 5000 guilds on Beta, but only those doing GBG are listed in the global rankings.) Interesting enough, the guild with that 1 Won Championship is listed in second place because they earned fewer Victory Points than the guild listed in first place. To my way of thinking, that's an indictment of this ranking system.
Maybe not an indictment, just indicative of a process that rewards the number of games won during a season, not the total amount of points scored. This is not uncommon.

Johnny B. Goode

Maybe not an indictment, just indicative of a process that rewards the number of games won during a season, not the total amount of points scored. This is not uncommon.
Sorry, but this makes no sense in this context. You've got it backwards. This system actually rewarded one guild by placing it first specifically because it scored more total points. Won Championships is listed 4th, after LP, Victories, and VP. There are 53 guilds on Beta with 1000 LP. All are ranked in order of their total points (VP) scored. And their number under Victories was reset to zero when the Championship ended. So effectively the number of victories is a temporary factor that overall is trumped by VP even though VP third.

Also, there are many sports that reward the total amount of points* scored rather than number of games won. Not to mention that even GBG before the ranking change rewarded points (LP) scored rather than "games" (sessions) won.

*Just off the top of my head, soccer awards 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw. As a result, teams that have won more games over the course of a season frequently end up finishing behind other teams because they had fewer points. I know that tennis and NASCAR also have systems where seasonal rankings are determined by points rather than wins, the points being awarded much like the LP in GBG, ranging down from 1st, 2nd, etc. So someone who wins several times, but otherwise finishes well back in the pack would be ranked behind someone who consistently finishes in the top 5.

xivarmy

Sorry, but this makes no sense in this context. You've got it backwards. This system actually rewarded one guild by placing it first specifically because it scored more total points. Won Championships is listed 4th, after LP, Victories, and VP. There are 53 guilds on Beta with 1000 LP. All are ranked in order of their total points (VP) scored. And their number under Victories was reset to zero when the Championship ended. So effectively the number of victories is a temporary factor that overall is trumped by VP even though VP third.
VP won't "trump" anything, it's the final tie breaker - it's just the only thing to compare in the first round of a championship - noone's had any chance to win anything else yet.

"Won Championships" is like "Top 1 Days" in the old ranking - it says historically you have been the top guild, not that you are now.

The first round of the championship is basically a clean slate. And yea, will be wacky for a couple rounds until some teams have established they're the ones that win every time still.

I doubt they're going to try and incorporate raid into rankings when it comes. So with all its flaws, I'm afraid our GBG-based ranking is what it is. Just ignore it if it has no meaning to you. Like I ignore the individual ranking that's based on who's done the most monotonous trivial fight grinding in the highest ages ;) "You're #1! I feel so sorry for you"

WillyTwoShoes

I wonder how many diamonds they spent over those 6 seasons. Not to beat a dead horse, but should the guild I'm in aspire to the top levels of play I would like to know how much is typically spent on a successful championship season. If the numbers are low enough then I might rationalize the spending as typical of any foe Special Event - with the maybe ToC at the end of the 6 season championship. Now that I said that makes me think "sure is one heck of a long special event".

Johnny B. Goode

Won Championships" is like "Top 1 Days" in the old ranking - it says historically you have been the top guild, not that you are now.
Once a few seasons are in the books I would agree with you, but they've made such a big deal about this Championship crap (my new favorite word) that it's beyond ridiculous that the first Champion guild is not ranked first.

Pericles the Lion

This is what the leaderboard currently looks like on the Beta Server. The new Championship began yesterday. Personally, I don't have a problem with how INNO handled this. LP carries over from the previous season, VP and victories were cleared, and the number of Championship wins shows the winner(s).

1700217732481.png

Dominator - X

VP won't "trump" anything, it's the final tie breaker - it's just the only thing to compare in the first round of a championship - noone's had any chance to win anything else yet.

"Won Championships" is like "Top 1 Days" in the old ranking - it says historically you have been the top guild, not that you are now.

The first round of the championship is basically a clean slate. And yea, will be wacky for a couple rounds until some teams have established they're the ones that win every time still.

I doubt they're going to try and incorporate raid into rankings when it comes. So with all its flaws, I'm afraid our GBG-based ranking is what it is. Just ignore it if it has no meaning to you. Like I ignore the individual ranking that's based on who's done the most monotonous trivial fight grinding in the highest ages ;) "You're #1! I feel so sorry for you"
Does anybody know if Beta is different than live? The reason I ask is because this post says that VP is the final tie breaker while VP is not the final tie breaker on the live side.

Dominator - X

This is what the leaderboard currently looks like on the Beta Server. The new Championship began yesterday. Personally, I don't have a problem with how INNO handled this. LP carries over from the previous season, VP and victories were cleared, and the number of Championship wins shows the winner(s).

View attachment 20980
Is there no 3 day rest period in Beta? I was told the first Championship season ended yesterday but this post says the new Championship also began yesterday.