• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Moving feedback from the forums to discord is a mistake

jaymoney23456

I am not sure of the purpose for trying to direct feedback to a third party app. However, I think its a bad idea: For one thing Discord is well known to pose a risk to users because its easy to have one's computer infected with malware from. For another, from all I have heard about it, Discord is a cesspool for an endless stream of users that do nothing but troll others all day long.

UBERhelp1

For one thing Discord is well known to pose a risk to users because its easy to have one's computer infected with malware from.
Not really. I've been using Discord for quite some time now, and there's no greater risk than that from the internet in general. Just follow general safety - don't download stuff you don't trust, and don't click suspicious links. But that's just basic internet guidelines, not Discord-specific.

For another, from all I have heard about it, Discord is a cesspool for an endless stream of users that do nothing but troll others all day long.
The official Discord is decent. Probably a little bit better than the forums, honestly. But I think that says more about the forums.

Out of curiosity, have you actually used Discord before?

jaymoney23456

Not really. I've been using Discord for quite some time now, and there's no greater risk than that from the internet in general. Just follow general safety - don't download stuff you don't trust, and don't click suspicious links. But that's just basic internet guidelines, not Discord-specific.

The official Discord is decent. Probably a little bit better than the forums, honestly. But I think that says more about the forums.

I am going by friends I have that work in computer security regarding the issues Discord viruses and I have heard from others that Discord isn't a pleasant place to be.

JJ597

I want the discussions to be in the world I'm playing in, ie global chat, etc. Or on through a web page from the game developer. Discord is neither,

jaymoney23456

I want the discussions to be in the world I'm playing in, ie global chat, etc. Or on through a web page from the game developer. Discord is neither,
There is a section of the forums already that is dedicated to the specific game worlds

JJ597

There is a section of the forums already that is dedicated to the specific game worlds
Let me rephrase my original comment, right now, the forums are under INNO's umbrella, I don't want that to change. The game worlds discussion forum is (IMO) a waste of time,. If Inno wants to save server space, get rid of "off topic" discussions.

Emberguard

However, I think its a bad idea: For one thing Discord is well known to pose a risk to users because its easy to have one's computer infected with malware from.

Only if you click on links.

The main security risk on discord is someone sending a file or link (particularly in a PM), saying "hey check this out" and then someone actually clicking the link or file

That was the main reason some CMs didn't like any links being posted on the forums (same with posting links in the game). There's no way to vet which links are safe and which aren't without clicking on them

Let me rephrase my original comment, right now, the forums are under INNO's umbrella, I don't want that to change. The game worlds discussion forum is (IMO) a waste of time,. If Inno wants to save server space, get rid of "off topic" discussions.

Yeah. I enjoy the forums as well. One thing I love about forums is it's more archival. If there's something important you need to look up it's much easier to do so in a forum format

Sheriff Of Rottingham

I am not sure of the purpose for trying to direct feedback to a third party app. However, I think its a bad idea: For one thing Discord is well known to pose a risk to users because its easy to have one's computer infected with malware from. For another, from all I have heard about it, Discord is a cesspool for an endless stream of users that do nothing but troll others all day long.
How is there an elevated risk when using Discord in browser than ordinary browser use? If you want to argue there is better security specifically of a forgeofempires.com subsite, then you can make that argument, but generally speaking, discord is no more risky than any other browser based use.

Regarding the "cesspool" that is discord; are you new here?

Johnny B. Goode

I had never used Discord, nor wanted to, before Inno decided to start using it officially. I went, I saw, I deleted my account. As others have stated, it's global chat on steroids. And the Forum, with all its faults, has never been nearly that bad. Face it, it's a lazy decision by a company that no longer cares about its customers. Or their opinions. They no longer want to moderate a Forum, so they try to throw us all on Discord. Sad and pathetic.

Angry.Blanket

"General discussions" is for wait for it .... General discussions. The specific issues are in the other threads.
I understand that, here the general discussion conversations are seperated, on discord there are 50 different conversations going , everyone talking about something different and every one talking at the same time all in the same room.

Sharmon the Impaler

I understand that, here the general discussion conversations are seperated, on discord there are 50 different conversations going , everyone talking about something different and every one talking at the same time all in the same room.
The General discussion thread is configured to not allow sub threads so the specific topics don't get mixed up. Do I like it over the forum ? No. Is it usable ? yes.

Angry.Blanket

The General discussion thread is configured to not allow sub threads so the specific topics don't get mixed up. Do I like it over the forum ? No. Is it usable ? yes.
I understand how its configured, I disagree that it is usable, Go and find a specific general conversation from last week on discord, for example the discussion about diamond offers. and participate in it.

Sharmon the Impaler

I understand how its configured, I disagree that it is usable, Go and find a specific general conversation from last week on discord, for example the discussion about diamond offers. and participate in it.
You select the discussion channel and then enter what you're searching for in the box on the top.

Angry.Blanket

You select the discussion channel and then enter what you're searching for in the box on the top.
So do it, go to the discussion about diamond offers in the general channel and participate in it. You cant do it, all you can do is post your comment in midst of the all the babble and hope everyone knows what conversation you are participating in.

Pericles the Lion

So do it, go to the discussion about diamond offers in the general channel and participate in it. You cant do it, all you can do is post your comment in midst of the all the babble and hope everyone knows what conversation you are participating in.
You are looking in the wrong place. The "game-discussion" folder is not much more than a cleaned up version of global chat. Lots of people talking about lots of different stuff. You should be looking in the "gameplay-questions" folder. There you will find many different subfolders, each dealing with a specific subject (just like the forum).

Sharmon the Impaler

You are looking in the wrong place. The "game-discussion" folder is not much more than a cleaned up version of global chat. Lots of people talking about lots of different stuff. You should be looking in the "gameplay-questions" folder. There you will find many different subfolders, each dealing with a specific subject (just like the forum).
I disagree with 99.43% of what you post so when I do agree you must have a point lol