• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] GBG Traps!

Lord Kalenbor

Ok, with the new GBG rules I've learned that no one in my guild (Including myself) really understands traps, lol. If someone attacks a sector that let's say has 2 traps (90%) and they have 80% attrition reduction, what happens? I've been digging through outdated or vague info and this is starting to drive me nuts figuring out how it works. Will really appreciate understanding this. :D

xivarmy

Ok, with the new GBG rules I've learned that no one in my guild (Including myself) really understands traps, lol. If someone attacks a sector that let's say has 2 traps (90%) and they have 80% attrition reduction, what happens? I've been digging through outdated or vague info and this is starting to drive me nuts figuring out how it works. Will really appreciate understanding this. :D
You have an 80% chance of getting no attrition because of your support. Traps cannot impact this.

You have a 20% chance of getting "some" attrition.
- 90% trap effect of 20% = 18% chance of getting 2 attrition.
- 10% trap failing to proc of 20% = 2% chance of getting 1 attrition.

End result, you expect to average 0.38 attrition per hit (= 0.2 * 1.9)

Lord Kalenbor

In most diamond league guilds traps are banned as they are extremely annoying. I have never seen a trap built since i started playing FOE
Yeah on my main shard we never use them. On my new shard they don't love them but I didn't think they were very effective anyway. Morality aside lol On my new shard 2 guilds are trapping everyone in their base and we were getting pretty annoyed and don't really care about protocol lol

Lord Kalenbor

You have an 80% chance of getting no attrition because of your support. Traps cannot impact this.

You have a 20% chance of getting "some" attrition.
- 90% trap effect of 20% = 18% chance of getting 2 attrition.
- 10% trap failing to proc of 20% = 2% chance of getting 1 attrition.

End result, you expect to average 0.38 attrition per hit (= 0.2 * 1.9)
Okay. Just checking myself. Every single fight in the example they have an 18% chance to double attrition? If that's not right then I'm gonna go huddle up in a corner lol

Lord Kalenbor

an 18% chance to take 2 attrition. It's a 90% chance to double attrition, but 80% of the time it's double of zero, which is still zero.
"an 18% chance to take 2 attrition." Thanks! That's all I needed to know. The more it's explained the wonkier it gets lol

Dominator - X

Simplified version: No matter what your attrition chance is (IE 20% in your example) a trap only increases the percentage of doubling the attrition you receive, IF you actually receive attrition. So, instead of normally receiving 1 attrition every 2 out of 10 hits (depending on your % of reduction. It could be higher of course), with 1 trap, you have a 45% chance of receiving 2 attrition for the same fight, instead of just 1. 2 traps = 90% chance of receiving 2 attrition instead of just 1.

So, a trap only increases the chance of doubling the amount of attrition you receive, IF you actually receive attrition.

Ebeondi Asi

In the previous Gbg where it could 100% reduction, Traps were plain silly. Now with 80% max, some may be seeing if traps make a difference. A short while back in one guild we had an opponent using traps,for a time. But it was obvious traps did not deter my guild at all. So they stopped.
If players are afraid of attrition, then yeah traps will deter the enemy, On the other hand if players are fearless and take attrition in stride as part of the play, no problem. smash them anyway! Plus traps do not add to VP.. So the Guild that places traps are shooting themselves as much as the opponent.

I used to worry and try hard to not get attrition, But the new GbG I had to change my strategy, and no longer prioritize numbers of fights, I really now only want to max my attrition each day. (if I can) This change in attitude frees me from the worry about attrition, and I now see attrition as a positive, rather than a negative for my Guild. The goodies won are a bonus.
(Similar to Himeji Castle, The real reward IMO are the supplies, the won goodies are all gravy !!)

all this stuff is in your head.. :p

WillyTwoShoes

In with the attrition mechanics explained above the build time on Decoys and Traps (4hours/5hours) makes their use an iffy proposition unless your diamond rushing them. They also have a nasty habit of surviving a conquest and coming back to bite you when trying to retake a zone.

My guild leaders have used them with limited success attempting to slow down an advancing opponent. On one notable occasion when we dominated the Volcano crater early we trapped the inner ring for the duration of the season. It placed us in the position of having good attrition support from the crater which ameliorated the effects of the surviving traps in the inner ring once they were opponent flipped. That particular strategy took advantage of the higher advancement cost and attrition support of our crater builds making the trapped outer rings a nice firewall.

IMO the build time on traps makes them a non-starter 99% of the time.