• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for Update 1.61

• Thread starter DeletedUser4770
  • Start date

DeletedUser12921

I'm in an awesome guild on beta, but I left my mates from around the world last week because of the "Leave" function on the new message system. Old, unwanted messages can no longer be deleted. You must "Leave" the conversation in order to delete a message. When you do, your old, unwanted message will immediately appear at the top of everyone else's inbox. Nice job! You've just spammed everyone in your guild with a "player-xxx left the Conversation" message. Now everyone else has the option of "leaving" the thread and thereby spamming everyone again, or just putting up with the spam again and again and again... I do not blame my mates who are just trying to delete an unwanted message and have no other recourse. The terribly flawed new message system is at fault. I refuse to spam my guildmates. So I left, hoping to return some day if Inno resolves this problem.
This issue is but one of many serious problems with the new message system. The feedback on the beta forum was virtually unanimous. In agreement were beta-testers, beta-moderators, beta-admins and even the beta-Community Manager. Unfortunately all of our feedback has fallen on deaf ears. I gave my guild leader notice today that I'll be leaving our guild when the game is updated with the 1.61 change log next week.

Here is a link to page 18 of the feedback on the new message system with comments from both the beta-administrator and the beta-community manager:
https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.c...g-1-60-Part-2-The-New-Messaging-System/page18

Czari

Can we remove someone from a thread? I hope?

If this is not possible it is going to be a mess in our guild's great building club threads. If someone has to be removed from a club and they can just add themselves back in, it will create major confusion.

DeletedUser8152

If this is not possible it is going to be a mess in our guild's great building club threads. If someone has to be removed from a club and they can just add themselves back in, it will create major confusion.
It's not possible now to remove someone from a thread, how will this be different?

iamtheemperor

Head over to the EN forums. This disaster went live to the EN servers October 1st. Less than 24 hours later and they already have 8 pages of negative feedback. My favorite thus far:

"I... must admit I'm amazed. The old message system was so awful, it takes true talent to create an even worse system."

DeletedUser11609

Head over to the EN forums. This disaster went live to the EN servers October 1st. Less than 24 hours later and they already have 8 pages of negative feedback. My favorite thus far:

"I... must admit I'm amazed. The old message system was so awful, it takes true talent to create an even worse system."

Why am I not surprised......:rolleyes:

DeletedUser12921

What happens to deleted messages after the 1.61 update?

It is possible that you can prepare for the 1.61 changelog update to minimize the amount of "player-xxx left the Conversation" spam messages you will receive. I'd advise everyone to go through your messages before the update and delete all old, unwanted messages. This should remove them from your messages when the changeover to the new message system is made. Then you will not be spammed after the changeover when someone "leaves" those messages -- I hope. Unfortunately, however, there is a possibility that this will not work. Because deleting a message does not remove you from the message distribution list, it is possible that the messages you delete will return to your inbox during the changeover. That would be unfortunate indeed!

Does anyone know what happens to messages you delete before the changeover? Will they be gone after the changeover? Or will they return to you after the changeover because your name is still on the distribution list after you delete them?

DeletedUser9184

It says in the announcement:
All the messages that will be in the 'deleted' state before the migration will be gone for you, so don't delete anything important any more!

DeletedUser13967

Are messages still going to be deleted on there own after 60 days?

DeletedUser17759

My main questions.. (1) did they fix the messed up double-blinking bug, (2) are we going to be able to clearly see which message threads have NEW content, (3) and can we sort the message thread? (for example, by most-recent post or by with-new-messages)

DeletedUser9184

1) I think that is fixed now, but you may need to remind me again as I'm a bit unsure which bug that was
2) Not this upcoming update if it's like EN (there have been times where it has changed in between ;))
3) Nope

DeletedUser8588

Are messages still going to be deleted on there own after 60 days?

From my experience on Beta, I would say no, now they won't be deleted after 60 days. After the new messaging system first came out, I had a message on Beta that was about 60-61(?) days old and I watched it stay in my Inbox and age to about 70 days old. I was going to keep it to see if it ever would go away on its own, but about that time somebody "left the conversation" and so reset its age to 0 days, so then I just "left the conversation" myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Czari

It's not possible now to remove someone from a thread, how will this be different?

Using the example of removing someone from a Great Building Club, we now begin a new thread and do not include the person who was removed. The same method is used when a person joins one of the clubs - a new thread is begun to include the name.

DeletedUser9184

From my experience on Beta, I would say no, now they won't be deleted after 60 days. After the new messaging system first came out, I had a message on Beta that was about 60-61(?) days old and I watched it stay in my Inbox and age to about 70 days old. I was going to keep it to see if it ever would go away on its own, but about that time somebody "left the conversation" and so reset its age to 0 days, so then I just "left the conversation" myself.
Hmm... you're correct. Seems that something isn't matching up then as an empty inbox said that messages would be deleted after 60 days, but I got 70+ day old messages on beta.

DeletedUser

My main questions.. (1) did they fix the messed up double-blinking bug, (2) are we going to be able to clearly see which message threads have NEW content, (3) and can we sort the message thread? (for example, by most-recent post or by with-new-messages)
Believe me, these will be your least concerns when the new system arrives.

DeletedUser10517

I love almost everything about this update! The merging and lack of subject might be mildly annoying, but it will make for less messages in my mailbox. I love that the number will show up! As for the leave option, I love that it's finally available, I can't tell you how many people have complained about getting messages still from my guild when someone uses an old thread and they left the guild a week ago. I also love that I won't have to redo ALL of the guild's main messages because a new person has joined or someone has left. Can we remove someone from a thread? I hope?

You will still need to redo all the guilds messages when someone leaves if they dont 'Leave' the thread.
Scrolling to see if a member has left is more trouble than just restarting the thread.

DeletedUser23430

First, I am sorry to have to say this, I know how much work and effort and time goes into these types of changes. But I do have to say that the new messaging system is just plain awful. It's only been a few minutes and I am already completely sick of it. I had heard rumors from people in beta but chose to withhold judgement until I saw it for myself. They were right. These changes will cost you users. Please be prepared to back it out quickly once the feedback rolls in.

DeletedUser1753

Can we please revert back to 1.60?

Or revert back to 1.0 for all I care, living with a few bugs can't be worse than this.