• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

1.9 Threads need improvement

DreadfulCadillac

Ok, there are so so many bad takes on this thread. I might have to wash my eyes out with bleach after reading it.

If a friend snipes you (whether intentionally or not), there is nothing rude about politely asking them to give 1.9. Are they obligated to give you 1.9? No, of course not. Then again, if they chose not to give you 1.9 after you politely ask, you can remove them from your FL. Many players such as myself level GBs via 1.9/1.92/1.95. So, we expect people on our FL to give at least that, or they will get the boot. I choose to ask people on my FL to just never donate onto my GBS at all, since I use 1.9+ threads to level my GBS. If they do donate, I will ask them politely to stop. If they keep doing so, they will be kicked. I very rarely get sniped however, since I generally prime by buildings quickly and get the spots taken quickly.

"but in my opinion they are not much of a friend if they expect you to unnecessarily spend FP just so they don't have to." This makes next to 0 sense. them asking you to bump up your contribution to 1.9 isn't an unnecessary expenditure. And it doesn't cost you any FP really, besides the profit you might have made. All you are doing is helping your friend save FP.

I disagree with Johnny's logic that request to give 1.9 are "rude" and "unnecessary". If people politely ask me to give 1.9 after I've sniped them, I'm more then happy to do so, because I know that i'll get the 1.9 contribution back in full anyway. He can choose to play how he want though I suppose.

Please keep in mind that this is coming from me, a person that does snipe regularly, and does add people to my FL to snipe. I do play semi-competitively, unlike some folks. And, that's alright. But, if somebody like Johnny is on my FL and they think it's fine to give me less then 1.9, well then they are going to be kicked from my FL. I am fully within my rights to expect at least 1.9 on my GBS, since when people ask me for 1.9 I'm more than willing to give it, even if I end up losing profit on the snipe.

Johnny B. Goode

"but in my opinion they are not much of a friend if they expect you to unnecessarily spend FP just so they don't have to." This makes next to 0 sense. them asking you to bump up your contribution to 1.9 isn't an unnecessary expenditure. And it doesn't cost you any FP really, besides the profit you might have made. All you are doing is helping your friend save FP.
So you think it's okay for someone to expect you to spend more Forge Points so that they can spend less Forge Points? Let me point out the flaw in your logic:
And it doesn't cost you any FP really, besides the profit you might have made.
Seriously?!? Basically you're saying that it doesn't cost you anything besides what it costs you. Talk about making zero sense. Let's say I lock a spot with 200 FP, and that it's 15 FP less than 1.9. So I would have 15 FP more after the GB levels than when I started. So, if I then acquiesce to the request to bump it up to 1.9, then IT COSTS ME 15 FP! And who then doesn't have to spend that 15 FP? The GB owner, in all likelihood. You get it now? They're basically asking you to UNNECESSARILY take 15 FP out of your bank and give it to them...FOR NOTHING IN RETURN. Now do you get it? So, unfriend me for not doing 1.9 when I can lock for less, and good riddance to you.

I should state for the record that I rarely, if ever, "snipe" a friend's GB. On the rare occasions that I do go looking for bargain spots, I almost without exception start at the bottom of the neighborhood list and work my way up until my FP bank is almost depleted. And if someone complains (which they rarely do), I hit their city and plunder them if anything's available.

And as far as donating to friends' GBs, I rarely do except for new players that buy goods from me. And I will usually get their GB out of the mud once they build it, and donate 50% of each level's FPs for the first 2 or 3 levels (or more, if they end up joining me in my guild for a bit).

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Locking a spot for less than 1.9 is the definition of sniping J.B.G.
And if you can lock for less than 1.9 the owner of the GB is at fault (if they want to complain)
Yes, I understand that is the current definition of sniping. I'm not arguing that. I'm basically saying that the second part of your post is the operative one for donating to any GB that can be locked at less than 1.9. That's part of why I think it is rude to ask the donating player to fix the owner's problem.

DreadfulCadillac

The donating player is taking advantage of the owner's mistake, so it's not rude imo.
Yes, I understand that is the current definition of sniping. I'm not arguing that. I'm basically saying that the second part of your post is the operative one for donating to any GB that can be locked at less than 1.9. That's part of why I think it is rude to ask the donating player to fix the owner's problem.

Johnny B. Goode

The donating player is taking advantage of the owner's mistake, so it's not rude imo.
Taking advantage? Seriously? How does the donating player know it's the owner's mistake? Could be someone else over-donated. If that's the case, then the owner is really asking for more than 1.9, because they already got the extra FP from the other player who donated too much. And if it's the owner's mistake, why in heaven's name do you think it's not rude for the mistake-maker to ask another player to pay for his mistake????? I wouldn't ask him to pay for my mistake, why is it okay for him to ask, or even demand, that I pay for his. Honestly, your logic in this leaves a lot to be desired.

The only time it would not be rude to make this request is if it was a GB that was on a 1.9 thread and one of the participants on that thread was the "offending" (in your mind) party.

Baroque

If I have access to a GB and it is connected by road the town hall, then I am free to contribute FPs as I see fit. The game allows this. I must accept the consequences of my own actions. If I make a mistake putting FPs on my own GB, then I must accept the consequences of my actions. If a friend decides to boot me that is their decision. I routinely boot friends that put 1 or 2 FPs on my Gbs. They are allowed to do this, and I am allowed to boot them. The idea that anyone owes anyone compensation can only be justified in a guild situation. Pay up or be cut loose. I am not here to fix another player's mistake. Pay attention and learn from mistakes.

blueskydwg

I regularly take spots at less than 1.9 from both friends and hoodies in my Beta City. Don't do it anymore in live because
1. Don't have the time
2 Have more than enough fps from daily collection and GbG.

But before I do take less than 1.9 spots I do several things:
1. Check to see if they are active
2. Check to see if they are in a 1.9 by looking at previous leveling
3. Make sure my "return" is at least 20%

If someone does comment (nicely) that they were hoping for 1.9 then I oblige and make sure I don't hit them again.
If someone complains rudely, I make sure I take as many spots as possible. :)

DreadfulCadillac

If I have access to a GB and it is connected by road the town hall, then I am free to contribute FPs as I see fit. The game allows this. I must accept the consequences of my own actions. If I make a mistake putting FPs on my own GB, then I must accept the consequences of my actions. If a friend decides to boot me that is their decision. I routinely boot friends that put 1 or 2 FPs on my Gbs. They are allowed to do this, and I am allowed to boot them. The idea that anyone owes anyone compensation can only be justified in a guild situation. Pay up or be cut loose. I am not here to fix another player's mistake. Pay attention and learn from mistakes.
That's fair, but to me it's not a matter of what's allowed or not, just a matter of etiquette.

Sledgie

if a neighbor asks me politely to top up a snipe to 1.9, I do, and never snipe them again. If they message insults, it's on. War for the rest of the hood. If someone in the hood has lots of snipe targets open and clearly is a self-leveler who actually wants to be sniped, I send them a FR so I can keep doing it. On my friends list I know who is in a 1.X thread I am sponsoring, who is an actual friend, and who is food. I snipe the food and leave the rest alone.

I've had people complain that they level their buildings on a 1.92X Thread, and that a 1.9X contribution wasn't enough. Talk about delusions of entitlement. lmao. If a spot is sniped, it's always the building owner's fault unless it self-primes, and then, the sniping margin is really insignificant. Even then, the owner could have lined up contributors before unlocking the building.
Sniping is how one earns FPs when starting out, and it continues to be a very profitable way to earn extra FPs.

I recently ran into a buzz saw when I put fp's into a gb of someone on my friends list. The friend is in a different guild from me and had listed the gb on his own guild's 1.9 thread. I had no idea that was the case and simply added enough fp's to lock in a spot. I got an angry email from the gb owner to the effect that I "owed" him extra fp's because I had "sniped" a spot!

It would be great if the game had a way to notify players that a gb was on a 1.9 thread to avoid such conflicts.

This is supposed to be a fun experience and not something to further stress participants. On the other hand, I could just snipe away and let the chips fall where they may for non-guild members. (After all, isn't it the responsibility of the owner to make sure spots are locked?)

Any comments welcome!
Tell him that he shouldn't have over primed the spot. It's your friend's fault, not yours. You owe them nothing.

Baltar

What is sniping? To me it's when you bump another player off their spot. If you just take a spot no one should be mad at you.

Xenosaur

What is sniping? To me it's when you bump another player off their spot. If you just take a spot no one should be mad at you.
Well, in war - snipers hide and shoot you, hopefully to kill. In the game, that quickly translates to MOST PEOPLE as taking an unsolicited position for a profit on your building at your expense.

The term/concept reaches FAR wider to some people in this game, it can ALSO mean this additionally: taking a position on your building even @ 1.9 (or correct math for the position), BUT --- still unsolicited.

2 key terms: Snipe to some means BOTH - predatory on your building for their own profit (ie, your injury without regard...), OR unsolicited but non-injurious math = 1.9, and helpful (unless you're expecting more, such as a 1.92, 1.94 or... yes higher.).

Can your "friends" in real life walk into your house via your open door, and walk around it as if they owned it, while your away?

To some, that's analgous to an friend doing an unsolicited investment ("snipe") in the game.

If you have a general policy in your game with you friends (I use the term "policy" loosely...a better word is "understanding") that you don't SNIPE them (with either a predatory (making a profit) investment or even doing non-profit help (standard1.9 math) on their buildings without asking, and you get that from them too - you've told people what type friends you want and have both set and offer that as the type of friendship.

People typically pick fellow friend "tribemates" carefully, especially as your game matures (or even in the first week as a new player). There is no difference conceptually for choosing friend by setting the bar for active sitting in your tavern or M/P - if people don't do it the way you want, or you don't do it the way they want - you each can decide if the relationship works - and if not - can find someone new that will, and so can they. Investing is NO DIFFERENT.

Sounds like some here love any unsolicitied free help on their buildings at any time, even if people make a profit on them. Sounds like others request/require a bit more courtesy or consideration of a request, even if that friend could do a level each day for them - for FREE.

Nothing wrong with either position - just find the "tribemate" style you want for your own game. There is no right or wrong. In fact, you can have some of all types - as long as you agree on what you're doing with each other.

Last edited:

Xenosaur

Sniping in FoE is taken from the term bid sniping where you come in at the last second in an auction and over bid the winner and take the auction. It has nothing to do with the original war term.

Sorry, that's also taken from the original etymology, which is conceptually from a WAR posture - ie, is really the same thing - come out of no where (or be invisible) and shoot a bird, person, and/or pounce on something financially.

snipe (v.)

"shoot from a hidden place," 1773 (among British soldiers in India), in reference to hunting snipe as game, from snipe (n.). Figurative use from 1892. Related: Sniped; sniping.

It doesn't matter what you're shooting at - a person, a bird, or a financial target.

sniper (n.)

"sharpshooter; one who shoots from a hidden place," 1824, agent noun from snipe (v.). The birds were considered a challenging target for an expert shooter:

Last edited: