• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

1.9 Threads need improvement

Snout the First

In Arvahall there's a custom followed by some players, that you put a minimum of 190% on friend's Great Buildings, but neighbors are fair game to snipe. Personally, I tend to group players who don't do the math and then get sniped, in with players who don't collect on time, and then get plundered.

der Wolfe

there's a custom followed by some players, that you put a minimum of 190% on friend's Great Buildings
That's a great practice, but (1) what do you do with non-guild players who don't know that's your guild policy? (2) do you explain to potential new friends that that's the rule for you? (It would make friending somewhat cumbersome, no?)

Johnny B. Goode

Share with us how this is done if they are putting less than 1.9 on your GBs,
Honestly, I don't know if they're putting more or less than 1.9, because I don't care. I play in a guild by myself most of the time and am camped in FE so most, if not all, of my FP collection each day goes to whichever GB I'm currently working on. Other players from the hood and my friends list usually donate very large amounts once I have gotten it to a lockable stage. Whether they're profiting or just breaking even from their donation is immaterial to me. Also, my attack boosts and FP/goods/etc. production are completely fulfilling my needs and enabling me to complete every event, finish GE64 every week, reach 100,000 points in PVP Arena each month, take what I want from GBG, and so on. My GBs are not on any schedule, and I frequently switch my priorities based on how I feel at any particular point in time. No point at all in sweating on how long it takes to add gravy to the meal. :)

Bottom line for me is that I'm here to enjoy the game experience. I worked for decades and am now retired and do not wish to spend my leisure time working at a game. If I want to work again, there are plenty of Help Wanted signs around town where I'd get paid for working. Inno, as nice as they are, do not pay me to play this game.

The only thing I agree with here is that if you are using 1.9 to level, lock your spots (not your building). And add me as one who would remove a “friend” who barges in uninvited. That behavior belongs in the hood. If you don’t “get it”, the hood is where you belong - fair game. The 1.9 has been a thing long enough now that all should know what it’s all about.

If some of you prefer to “avoid 1.9 nonsense” that is of course your prerogative, however, let’s climb off that high horse about “greedy people” shall we? In my 1.9 leveling I try to make sure that guild members (and often others) get cheap prints by means of p4 and p5 spots. In cases where p5 pays no fps (attracts no investors usually) I can set it up so that they can get multiple prints for 1 fp - the system won’t let me give them away so that’s the closest to free I can get. Where is the greed?

It’s not entitlement - it’s not greed. It’s just math. I prefer the 1.x method for two reasons. One, when a gb has a properly secured spot offered and I take it, I don’t have to worry about some yahoo swooping in with a snipe that costs me fps. Two, when I prepare and put my gb into a 1.x thread, I am assured of the lowest cost to gain a level on that gb. It’s that simple. Not greed, just math.

Now if you all don’t care or don’t want to bother, that’s your game - but don’t expect me to buy your cowboy bs.
New players don't know what 1.9 is, these are the people that tend to actually need prints.

As for my so called "high horse," I never said that everyone using 1.9 is like that. I have played for a long time and there are many people I have come across who make a big fuss over someone putting points on their open GB and expecting everyone in the game to know that they only allow 1.9 for all positions, even flipping out at new guildmates who didn't know and just saw an opportunity to get prints in the last position. They also grab the lower positions from other guildmates who have stated in guild chat that they are trying to leave them open for the newer players. I have encountered these types more often than not, hence why I talk about greedy people.

Wait until you gbs are between levels 30 and 60. You can use the 1.9 method to level at a cost of a few hundred fp from you pocket, or you can not use the 1.9 and spend a many more hundreds to accomplish the same thing. If one has an arc that is above level 80 and claiming spots in a 1.9 thread, then the contribution is guaranteed to return a profit from fp. Since you are essentially lending fp with a guaranteed full return on the loan plus interest. Only the interest is paid by Inno instead of the gb owner. 1.9 threads are a cheap way to level gbs, and with an arc above level 80 a great way to make more fp while helping guildemates and friends.
I am not worried about spending more fps by not using these threads. All it would get me is a pointless stockpile of fps and more bps gathering dust in my inventory. I have built all the GBs that I want, some to target level and I am in no rush for the rest. So far, I have had my GBs in that level range during the same time some others on my friends list did and we all made profits while helping each other gain the prints to level past that point.

Angry.Blanket

Honestly, I don't know if they're putting more or less than 1.9, because I don't care. I play in a guild by myself most of the time and am camped in FE so most, if not all, of my FP collection each day goes to whichever GB I'm currently working on. Other players from the hood and my friends list usually donate very large amounts once I have gotten it to a lockable stage. Whether they're profiting or just breaking even from their donation is immaterial to me. Also, my attack boosts and FP/goods/etc. production are completely fulfilling my needs and enabling me to complete every event, finish GE64 every week, reach 100,000 points in PVP Arena each month, take what I want from GBG, and so on. My GBs are not on any schedule, and I frequently switch my priorities based on how I feel at any particular point in time. No point at all in sweating on how long it takes to add gravy to the meal. :)

Bottom line for me is that I'm here to enjoy the game experience. I worked for decades and am now retired and do not wish to spend my leisure time working at a game. If I want to work again, there are plenty of Help Wanted signs around town where I'd get paid for working. Inno, as nice as they are, do not pay me to play this game.
Do you believe this is the way everyone should play the game?
Should we all Isolate ourselves in solo guilds and not care about the strategy aspect of the game.

The Lady Redneck

Should we all Isolate ourselves in solo guilds and not care about the strategy aspect of the game.
That is not what JBG is saying at all. He is simply pointing out his take on 1.9 and levelling GBs in general. It is his opinion. How he chooses to play and level his GBs is up to him. When I played in a small guild with a load of newbie members. (And on occasion in solo guilds) I was happy to get regular snipers on my GBs. now I play in a large guild and do my best to protect my GBs against snipers. But whatever size or type of guild I was in I sniped every chance I got. The strategy I used decided on how I was playing the game. Am sure if JBG decided to change his game play and get into a big full on war guild his strategy would change. He has played the game long enough to know what strategy works best for himin any given situation. For myself I do not give 2 hoots about the math of 1.9 or anything else game related. If I get stuck my strategy is to ask a friend who does like getting their head round it to sort it out for me.

Johnny B. Goode

Do you believe this is the way everyone should play the game?
Look, dude, I was originally responding to a post that made a blanket statement that I know for a fact is not necessarily true. So I pointed out my case where it isn't true as an example. Please show me where I said that this is the way everyone should play the game. I'll wait.

Oh, and thanks to @The Lady Redneck, who gave a pretty good answer to your pathetic attempt to turn this into an argument.

LoveNkind

I recently ran into a buzz saw when I put fp's into a gb of someone on my friends list. The friend is in a different guild from me and had listed the gb on his own guild's 1.9 thread. I had no idea that was the case and simply added enough fp's to lock in a spot. I got an angry email from the gb owner to the effect that I "owed" him extra fp's because I had "sniped" a spot!

It would be great if the game had a way to notify players that a gb was on a 1.9 thread to avoid such conflicts.

This is supposed to be a fun experience and not something to further stress participants. On the other hand, I could just snipe away and let the chips fall where they may for non-guild members. (After all, isn't it the responsibility of the owner to make sure spots are locked?)

Any comments welcome!
I have found that asking such a person politely to please finish the 1.9 spot usually results in them finishing the 1.9 spot.

Emberguard

I recently ran into a buzz saw when I put fp's into a gb of someone on my friends list. The friend is in a different guild from me and had listed the gb on his own guild's 1.9 thread. I had no idea that was the case and simply added enough fp's to lock in a spot. I got an angry email from the gb owner to the effect that I "owed" him extra fp's because I had "sniped" a spot!

It would be great if the game had a way to notify players that a gb was on a 1.9 thread to avoid such conflicts.

This is supposed to be a fun experience and not something to further stress participants. On the other hand, I could just snipe away and let the chips fall where they may for non-guild members. (After all, isn't it the responsibility of the owner to make sure spots are locked?)

Any comments welcome!

You don't owe them a thing, but they also don't have any obligation to keep you on their friends list or to help you in any way.

If you intend to ignore the request made to put more, expect the possibility of them dropping you off their friends list or refusing to grant help if you ever need Goods / FPs / Aid / whatever. Decide how much that "friend" is worth to your gameplay, act accordingly.

Johnny B. Goode

I have found that asking such a person politely to please finish the 1.9 spot usually results in them finishing the 1.9 spot.
Not me. I never "finish" a 1.9 spot, because that is a player construct and not a game mechanic. If a player has a spot that can be locked for less than 1.9, that's on them, as many people have pointed out on the Forum. No player is ever obligated to acquiesce to such a request. Consequences may follow, as @Emberguard points out, but in my opinion they are not much of a friend if they expect you to unnecessarily spend FP just so they don't have to.

Bottom line is that if the spot can be locked for less than 1.9, then either of two things has happened. One is that the GB owner has over-primed the GB, which is not the locking player's fault and they should not be expected to pony up extra FP to cover the GB owner's error. The other possibility is that someone has over-donated for a higher spot or donated less than 1.9 in hopes of "stealing" a reward. Also not the locking player's fault. And in both of those cases, the 1.9 amount is already on the GB, it's just been paid by someone other than the locking player.

So again, they're not much of a friend if they expect you to pay more than the locking amount for a spot. I sometimes pay more voluntarily in the first place, but I never, ever respond to such a request by donating more. In fact, I may unfriend a player that makes such a request.

der Wolfe

LoveNKind said:
I actually did give the requestor the extra points because I was trying to be nice to a friend. But then I got berated by the requestor because I should have known he was running 1.9 thread.

Johnny B. Goode said:
they're not much of a friend if they expect you to pay more than the locking amount for a spot. I sometimes pay more voluntarily in the first place, but I never, ever respond to such a request by donating more. In fact, I may unfriend a player that makes such a request.
After getting that last nastygram, I did exactly that - I unfriended him. When giving forge points to someone results in a nasty extortion process, that's not a friendly action.

Thanks again to all who posted here - I have a much better sense of all this and I hope that others who experience such behavior will also benefit from the advice in the above posts!

Cheekywench777

Any comments welcome!
Unless you are sniping your neighbors you should ALWAYS give 1.9 to your guildmates and friends. If you are my friend and you snipe...you get removed.

Johnny B. Goode

Unless you are sniping your neighbors you should ALWAYS give 1.9 to your guildmates and friends. If you are my friend and you snipe...you get removed.
Unless I'm participating in a 1.9 thread (which I don't) or feeling generous (which I sometimes do with friends, but never neighbors), I'm going to lock spots for the minimum. And if you are my friend and ask/demand that I donate more, you get removed. And I won't miss you, either.

The Lady Redneck

Friends don't snipe!
Not always the case. I have people on my FL who are there because they want to be sniped. It is how the raise their GBs. they get people to snipe spots 1, 2 and even 3. then put them on their guild swap threads so low members in the guild they are in then get the spots they can afford. That way their GBs are costing them next to nothing to level up.

Graviton

Unless I'm participating in a 1.9 thread (which I don't) or feeling generous (which I sometimes do with friends, but never neighbors), I'm going to lock spots for the minimum. And if you are my friend and ask/demand that I donate more, you get removed. And I won't miss you, either.

If you've noticed, people who get sniped by friends ditch said friends, so in the circumstance you describe you won't be missed either, so win/win I guess?

Flynn013

Friends don't snipe!
I have a a bunch of friends that I snipe daily. Why? Because they are self levelers like myself. Some of them snipe me as well so we are all good with it. I usually prime my buildings at around 1.8 to give a little bonus to donators with level 80 or higher Arcs. I feel this encourages donations and so far my buildings are leveling fairly quickly.

Johnny B. Goode

If you've noticed, people who get sniped by friends ditch said friends, so in the circumstance you describe you won't be missed either, so win/win I guess?
Apparently. I actually tell people not to put 1.9 on my GB if it can be locked for less. Many do it anyway, but that's their decision. I never expect friends, guild mates, or even neighbors to put more on my GB than what it takes to lock the spot. To me, that's being unfair to them. You can play this game cutthroat (like demanding 1.9 when it isn't necessary), or you can play it nice. I choose nice...mostly.