• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

A new look at the Cherry Blossom set...

Xenosaur

As many of you veterans know, the Cherry Blossom (aka CB) set was (is still?) extremely popular in cities. It's undergone a much needed upgrade over the years to level 2, and some (@MooingCat) has been praying daily for yet another upgrade to level 3. I actually agree with him, but both doubt we'll ever see that in our lifetimes :)

Some strong configurations have been implemented to tailor the CB set to attack, giving up some set rewards to allow it to focus on RED Attack (by using 2 level 2 Sakura ROCK buildings.

You can find very strong ATTACK configurations all over the internet now, and Moo has published quite a few of them too.

However with the advent of GE 5 and city defense a bit more valuable, I wondered if we could rejuvenate the CB FOCUSED attack design to support some city defense. In other words, make a melded configuration that was almost as strong for attack, but added some BLUE city defense to make it more supportive and comprehensive to city goals.
To that end, I used Moo's Set builder tool and quickly carved out a config that merits a review by anyone interested. I'd really like to see if this can be optimized even more, so I'm releasing this as a first pass for community review. It can help you as is, but I don't think Moo's tool has a AI optimizer (that I know of).

Here's the design (all level 2 buildings):

S = Sakura Rock
G = Gong
E = Emperor
Z = Zen Zone
N = Nishi Pond

Cherry base, 80 RED attack, 10 FP, 20 goods, 90 squares, 2 road touches @ .89 Att per sq.JPG
This uses 90 squares, gives 80 RED ATTACK % (.89% overall yield) , and 10% City defense, requires only 2 road touches to get 20 goods, about 10 FP.

Use the 2 center square (in white) to add a ritual flame (level 2), boosting your city defense to 22%

Cherry base + RF , 80 RED attack, 10 FP, 20 goods, 90 squares, 2 road touches @ .89 Att per sq.jpg

Road touches are efficient, and simple. The only 2 buildings that could use (your choice!!) a road touch are the Z and E buildings, like this:

Cherry base road touch points, 80 RED attack, 10 FP, 20 goods, 90 squares, 2 road touches @ .8...JPG

so it's very very efficient to do this with a single road touch, if you want to turn on the Z and E benefits:

Cherry base road touch points, 80 RED attack, 10 FP, 20 goods, 90 squares, 2 road touches @ .8...jpg

So bottom line.... this might help people balance their use of city squares to extend the value of their CHERRY BLOSSOM set design to bend toward helping grow their capability to go deeper into GE 5, without massive changes.

This is fairly efficient, but again - I'm looking for anyone that might be able to extend this efficiency beyond this "quick" analysis I did this morning over a cup of coffee.

Moo's SET BUILDER TOOL can be found here: https://foe-event-set-builder.github.io/

Last edited:

Xenosaur

@stymie of Suwannee --> beautiful!!... but am looking for an amelioration of almost pure RED attack, for those that want to add a modicum of city defense to an already strong RED attack CB model (which you clearly have!) It's to help balance getting a bit more city defense (vs none) in classic pure RED CB configs. I don't see any Nishi Ponds :)

stymie of Suwannee

Could replace em in, but ruin the math. SOs are the standard, but they both have every tower ever earned (no Victories, of course), but leaning towards city defense wouldn’t be to tough. But I’ll stayed dressed to kill for now, not falling for the GE5 scam.

qaccy

Sorry That particular group of bits is out of date and well below the current possilbe standards of Boost. Two years ago it was still decent. currently anyone who still thinks it is a good deal is not bothering to keep up with what is available. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer about it.
It took too many comments for someone to say this. As I was reading down, I was just thinking to myself, "Why would I worry about optimizing the Cherry Garden set when there are now single buildings that provide larger bonuses than the entire set would?" Some people obviously love their red military bonuses a whole lot, but I think this is sinking a bit too much into the depths of depravity.

stymie of Suwannee

As I’ve told others, I only get a 480/336 and 620/268 bonus with no roads. Besides the earlier the age, the more potent. The first is Modern and you probably can‘t fit better stats in there. The latter will do for a Diamond farm. And sooooo pretty. We all walk our own paths.

Mor-Rioghain

It took too many comments for someone to say this. As I was reading down, I was just thinking to myself, "Why would I worry about optimizing the Cherry Garden set when there are now single buildings that provide larger bonuses than the entire set would?" Some people obviously love their red military bonuses a whole lot, but I think this is sinking a bit too much into the depths of depravity.
Because they are pretty and some people like them. Those are two reasons. I'm sure there are as many as there are people who play this game. I've had mine stored for years, waiting for that perfect time to put them down just because I've always wanted to see them blanketing my city. I didn't store them because they were less powerful for attack or anything else. I stored them because it still annoys me to no end that I work my behind off to earn event items and set items are almost always plunderable regardless of polivating. It's a pet peeve of mine, nothing more.

I liked the Celtic Garden (or whatever it's called - that dratted 6 piece set that still looks pretty cool) but have recently begun to start selling them in the AD because I just got tired of pretending they actually did anything wonderful for my city in terms of Stats or Esthetics. That Moon Gate was just too much for my persnickity aversion to being plundered. But I'll hang on to my Cherry Garden sets because they're not only something I find pleasing, but they are the first "big" event I played where I finally figured out how to actually follow a questline as a pretty new player! lol (I started playing FoE during Forge Bowl 2017 and didn't have a clue until the L2 Cherry Gardens came out in the Spring Event. So, call it a nostalgic reason).

Let them plunder my unpolivated event items or maybe my blacksmiths. That doesn't bother me at all! ;)

Orius Maximus

Sorry That particular group of bits is out of date and well below the current possilbe standards of Boost. Two years ago it was still decent. currently anyone who still thinks it is a good deal is not bothering to keep up with what is available. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer about it.

I'd have to agree. Sets are pretty much outdated at this point. I had two fully upgraded Cherry Gardens and a Piazza in my city, and all of them got put into storage. I sold the various unused bits and pieces and selection kits that weren't being used in the AD. I still have at least one complete set of each in my inventory, but I do collect buildings.

Sets have a few disadvantages: they need to be arranged properly to be at full power, they're always vulnerable to plundering, and they're mostly all out of date. The bonuses from sets also don't increase with age in most cases. The older sets also only have red attack and blue defense, so they're of limited use for the GE changes. Sets were decent back in 2017 or 2018, but not now.

Mor-Rioghain

Ya , The Celtic Forest (I think) was shot in the garbage can after I noticed that it was getting plundered a fair bit about 2 years ago. (Celtic Farmstead is good though). The Chocolate factory event made my city plunderproof now which is really nice. I even ditched my Galata
I only keep the Galata for aesthetics and goods. The repel plunder boost was never a concern when I built them. They'll probably go some day but for now - for only 9 tiles - I'm cool with them being there. Yes, it was the Celtic Forest (not whatever I called it before). It was the darned Moon Gate that always got plundered. Can't even remember what they got but it was so annoying I finally pulled them all up (One set per cityx3 was a LOT of storage boxes). But now - they've been sold and auctioned off to someone else, may they have better luck with them than I did! :p heheh

stymie of Suwannee

As I’m aging up to PM in a couple weeks, I’m doing my due diligence and graphing out all my buildings (by hand, thank you). I’ll post fuller results later, but as to Sakuras.
Currently my Sakuras are consuming 624 squares (25x16 & 28x8) with 84 SOs, a handful of city defense towers and no roads. Generating 488 aAttack and 336 aDefense. Making it 1.32% per square. With long term space for another 50 SOs, eventually bringing it to 1.64 per square. So I’ll be editing my Orrey (0.8, why is it even here), Pirates Hideout (0.77, don’t care about the FPs) and GoVilla (0.83, don’t care about troops). And it will be a looooong time before I edit my Sakuras.

Johnny B. Goode

The Celtic Forest was the only set I ever put in one of my cities with the intention of keeping it. And my experience was the same. Didn't like that the one piece kept getting plundered, so off to the AD they went. I got on the non-plunderable city wagon very early on. I doubt I had any influence on how prevalent it became, it's just something any intelligent player would get to eventually anyway. Anything in my cities now that can be plundered means the fact that it can be plundered is irrelevant to what it does for my city.

Angel.

Because they are pretty and some people like them. Those are two reasons. I'm sure there are as many as there are people who play this game. I've had mine stored for years, waiting for that perfect time to put them down just because I've always wanted to see them blanketing my city. I didn't store them because they were less powerful for attack or anything else. I stored them because it still annoys me to no end that I work my behind off to earn event items and set items are almost always plunderable regardless of polivating. It's a pet peeve of mine, nothing more.

I liked the Celtic Garden (or whatever it's called - that dratted 6 piece set that still looks pretty cool) but have recently begun to start selling them in the AD because I just got tired of pretending they actually did anything wonderful for my city in terms of Stats or Esthetics. That Moon Gate was just too much for my persnickity aversion to being plundered. But I'll hang on to my Cherry Garden sets because they're not only something I find pleasing, but they are the first "big" event I played where I finally figured out how to actually follow a questline as a pretty new player! lol (I started playing FoE during Forge Bowl 2017 and didn't have a clue until the L2 Cherry Gardens came out in the Spring Event. So, call it a nostalgic reason).

Let them plunder my unpolivated event items or maybe my blacksmiths. That doesn't bother me at all! ;)
they way a lot set up the garden for attack can also be done with defence just need 2 of the ponds