• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Abort Quest Cycle experiment

DeletedUser38090

So @Clara Osgood has made a small discovery on this post about discovering a trashcan icon on the abort button:
https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/red-trash-can-for-aborting-quests.25423/

And I wanted to see how fast an abort quest cycle with the red trash is, and how that compares to doing an abort cycle on PC, and with the abort button on mobile.

So my hypothesis was that the time it takes for aborting through quests would be fastest for the trashcan method, pressing the abort button on the phone would be in the middle, and then aborting quests on the PC would take the slowest.
My reasoning for this hypothesis is that the trashcan method requires only a swipe and doesn't require the wait time for a recurring quest to slide into view, and so it would be the fastest of the methods. The abort button method on the phone is probably faster than the PC method because the abort button on the Phone is always fixated on the same place, while on the PC, the button may shift down if one has quests that have two requirements instead of just one.
I'm using 9 quests for an abort cycle.

For those who want the results:
Here are the averages and standard deviations (standard deviation in parentheses) of each distribution
PC Method: 11.198 seconds (0.506 seconds)
Mobile Abort button method: 11.491 seconds (1.025 seconds)
Mobile Trashcan method: 10.607 seconds (0.777 seconds)

The Mobile Trashcan method, based on the constraints and controls in this experiment, is faster than the PC method and Mobile Abort button method in completing an abort cycle of 9 quests, and there is a statistically significant difference between the Mobile Trashcan method and the other two methods. Some further testing from other people may be needed to see if this holds true, as only one person was used in this experiment. Save yourself half a second doing recurring quests with the Red Trashcan!

Materials & Methods:

Materials:
  • Default Clock app on the iPhone
  • Forge of empires on PC and mobile
  • Google stopwatch timer
-PC aborting quests
  1. Quest menu is already open with recurring quest in view
  2. Simultaneously hit the abort button for the first quest and hit the start button for the stopwatch on my phone
  3. Cycle through 8 more recurring quests by hitting the "abort" button 8 times
  4. Once the sliding animation for the quest has stopped on the screen, hit the end button for the stopwatch on my phone
  5. Record time onto spreadsheet
  6. Repeat steps 1-5 for 30 more times
-Mobile hitting abort button method
  1. Quest menu is already open with recurring quest progress in view
  2. Tap on the recurring quest progress in order to show the backside with the abort button, and simultaneously hit the start button on the Google stopwatch timer on computer
  3. Cycle through 9 recurring quests by hitting the "abort" button 9 times
  4. Once the sliding animation for the quest has stopped on the screen, hit the end button on the Google stopwatch timer
-Mobile trashcan method
  1. Quest menu is already open with recurring quest progress in view
  2. Swipe the recurring quest with the trashcan method and simultaneously hit the start button on the Google stopwatch on computer
  3. Cycle through 8 more recurring quests with this method
  4. Once the sliding animation for the quest has stopped on the screen, hit the end button on the Google stopwatch timer
Results (numbers are in seconds):
FshA8C3.png

vuQbjRf.png

HvSEnIS.png

6E8ianX.png

Here are the averages and standard deviations (standard deviation in parentheses) of each distribution
PC Method: 11.198 seconds (0.506 seconds)
Mobile Abort button method: 11.491 seconds (1.025 seconds)
Mobile Trashcan method: 10.607 seconds (0.777 seconds)
Sample size for each: n=31
Alright, now it's time to do the significance tests to see if there is a possible significant difference using a 2-sample T-test. Significance value for this test will be .05, which is typical

Test #1
Null Hypothesis: PC Method = Mobile Abort button method
Alternative Hypothesis: PC Method ≠ Mobile abort button method
P= 0.1608
P> 0.05
There is no statistically significant difference between the PC method and the Mobile abort button method

Test #2
Null Hypothesis: Mobile Trashcan method = Mobile Abort button method
Alternative Hypothesis: Mobile Trashcan method ≠ Mobile abort button method
P=0.0004
P< 0.05
There is a statistically significant difference between the Mobile Trashcan method and the Mobile Abort button method

Test #3
Null Hypothesis: Mobile Trashcan method = PC method
Alternative Hypothesis: Mobile Trashcan method ≠ PC method
P=.0008
P<0.05
There is a statistically significant difference between the Mobile Trashcan method and the PC method.

DeletedUser32824

I don't think the question has ever been "What's the fastest way to re-quest?" but rather "For how long can you stand doing it?" and while this data is interesting it doesn't help with re-questing's major downfall.

UBERhelp1

Really cool! Thanks for doing this!

The only one thing I can see that can skew the data is that you did 8 quests for the PC and mobile abort questions, but you did 9 quests for the trash can. I also think that it would be better to do a time limit (ex. 1 minute) and seeing how many you can get through in that time.

DeletedUser38090

Really cool! Thanks for doing this!

The only one thing I can see that can skew the data is that you did 8 quests for the PC and mobile abort questions, but you did 9 quests for the trash can. I also think that it would be better to do a time limit (ex. 1 minute) and seeing how many you can get through in that time.

I did 9 quests for the PC and mobile trashcan button methods. It's that in the instructions, I hit the stopwatch right as I hit the first abort button to abort the first quest, and then abort 8 quests after that, which makes a total of 9 quests.

DeletedUser38186

Awesome! Thanks for calculating this. Some may say its not important but it is important for me :) I will start using Trashcan method from now

UBERhelp1

I did 9 quests for the PC and mobile trashcan button methods. It's that in the instructions, I hit the stopwatch right as I hit the first abort button to abort the first quest, and then abort 8 quests after that, which makes a total of 9 quests.
Ok. I get it now.

DreadfulCadillac

i used to do questing.i quit 2 days ago, with collectibng 50 or more fp a day at collection these days, its WAY to much work and continualoly pushes back my collection time:)

RazorbackPirate

i used to do questing.i quit 2 days ago, with collectibng 50 or more fp a day at collection these days, its WAY to much work and continualoly pushes back my collection time:)
Don't get this. My youngest city in HMA makes over 150 FPs a day before the 150+ daily RQs which adds another 50+ FPs daily. Yup, it continually pushes back my collection time and every few weeks I let it roll to the morning to start the progression again. It's also fun dropping 600+ FPs on a GB 38 FPs at a time, spinning another 30+ RQs while doing it, and making even more. I just listen to something interesting/educational to keep my mind occupied so my fingers can happily click my way to riches.:D

Snarko

I decided to try this for myself. Not 30 times, just two each to test it. Sliding was significantly faster but that's not interesting to me. I always do UBQ. Sometimes while rotating other quests, like spend FP. Sometimes just UBQ.

I tested sliding vs PC with UBQ five times each. The fastest sliding time was 9.35 seconds. The average PC time was 9.28. I'm far more used to doing it on PC so comparing average to average would not be fair. If we assume I can become as good at sliding as my best time there (likely) then it's a wash between PC and mobile with sliding. I did not try mobile with abort. That is obviously slower since sliding is a faster way to abort.

Since there doesn't appear to be any significant difference between the two I'll just keep questing on PC. It's still nice to know that if/when that's not an option I'll be able to keep up in speed on mobile.