• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Acquiring Great Buildings Fast

DeletedUser26175

I didn't read this (excellent) piece until I had advanced to the iron age. I know there are now 4 GB's for which BP's can drop, but I'm ok with that. The recurring quest now is for the butcher, not the blacksmith, so I built two. I've made a bunch of 24 hour productions already (skewers), but no BP's as of yet.

Is the random gift drop the same? Are BP's included in the IA recurring?

DeletedUser10415

The random rewards are the same, except the coin, supplies, and medals amounts are increased somewhat. As you've acknowledged, there are 4 GBs that you could get blueprints for now that's you're in Iron Age. It's been my experience that coin or supplies is the most common reward, followed by goods, then a 5FP pack, then a BP, then medals, then the one-time per recurring quest diamonds. ByeOrDie has recorded the odds somewhere I think, gained from results of thousands of recurring quests, so I may have the order incorrect, but BPs certainly aren't at top of the list.

DeletedUser26175

So now, I did NOT advance to the EMA technologically (deliberately). I have not unlocked any EMA research. I did, however, conquer EMA territory... and my recurring quests are gone. (I'm getting story line quests again.)

Why did this happen if I'm still in IA? And when they do return, will they want EMA goods? (I'll have to replace my goods buildings...) but the quest cycle and reward system will be the same... (coin, fp, supplies, items).

Just checking...

DeletedUser10415

The story line is indeed connected to map advancement. There's no harm in aborting your way through the ones you can (the rewards are insignificant compared to what you get from cycling through the recurring quests), and even the ones that reward you with unattached units are no longer significant as you can get those from GE. The recurring quests will return, and when they do they will be for whatever age you are in.

I don't advise racing through the continent map, but in your first world I know it is irresistible. Should you choose to play other worlds, you might take the map more slowly, saving it for events which require scouting and taking of provinces for completion. All of them do.

DeletedUser26175

I know... I've read many of your other posts and guide. I was holding on to IA for as long as possible... but I got an unavoidable quest to research another tech, so I unlocked EMA. It just adds to my pool of bp's lowering my odds for lower ones. I know. But I can wait. I'm giving as many fp's as I can to other people's gb's. I can be patient with stuff that I know needs time, I just don't want to be locked up. (It took me days to find goods I needed on the market... but I got them eventually.)

Thanks for your advice.

DeletedUser10415

In case I hadn't made it clear elsewhere, the purpose behind 'soaking' in any age is not to do the recurring quests - those are just something to do while you soak. The purpose is so you have a better chance at getting the blueprints you need from polivating your neighbors. In Iron Age, you'll still be seeing a lot of neighbors with Bronze Age buildings which could give up Bronze Age blueprints, but once you advance to Early Middle Ages you run the risk of being moved to a neighborhood with no neighbors with anything lower than Iron Age buildings, and you can't get Bronze Age blueprints from Iron Age buildings.

DeletedUser25273

My guess is that the 'side quests' have a trigger condition that enables them. Many are after the quest before them, some are triggered on entering an Era, some taking given sectors on the continent, and some by researching a technology (and maybe some other conditions). If you have been doing repeating quests, something might trigger a sequence of quests, which you can chose to do or abort, look at the rewards to see if it is worth it.

DeletedUser27096

Hi! Some of these are great tips for us noobs, however, I wanted to comment on your bullet 8 about GBs only for your age. I am in the Bronze Age (actually, I just crossed over today into Iron Age) and I have received blueprints for Hagia Sophia, Coliseum, Zeus, Cathedral of Aachen and Lighthouse of Alexandria, however, I have not received any blueprints for the Tower of Babel. Have the rules or the GBs changed for the Bronze Era? Note that I received all those GB blueprints prior to crossing into Iron Age. Thanks for the info about the quests, though! I find some of them super annoying. I don't think I have seen the helmet quest, though.

Patient OCD technique:

1) Start over on another world
2) DON'T ADVANCE INTO IRON AGE UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO FURTHER DOWN THIS LIST
3) Don't negotiate for any sectors on the continent map unless a quest requires it
4) Motivate or polish all of your neighbors daily. You can use 'Aid' starting out, since all of your neighbors will be in the same age as you. The reason you want to do this is the chance of getting a random blueprint of the age of building you polivate. The more you do, the greater chance you'll get one.
5) Research only the techs you need to have only Blacksmiths in your city for supplies, and as many as you can fit an even number of, only Chalets for housing and only Taverns for happiness. Have no goods buildings (you'll get goods some other way, and plenty of them too). The idea here is to cram as many functioning Blacksmiths as you can into your city. You really don't even need your people to be happy for this phase, except you'll build more coin and supplies for the next age if they are happy. You won't need any barracks either. You don't need to concern yourself with the continent map beyond completing the tutorial, and city defense is an illusion at this stage in the game. As long as you're ready to collect when your production is ready to collect, you'll be fine. (Collecting on time actually applies to later ages as well)
6) Complete and/or skip tech quests until you get to the quests titled "Recurring", then abort your way through these until you get to the one that asks for 2 helmets, which is the product of two 1-day Blacksmith productions. Accept this quest. Ideally, you will have two such productions ready for collection.
7) Collect from two Blacksmiths that were set for 1-day production. These should be easy to find because all of your Blacksmiths should be set to 1-day productions.
8) Complete the quest for the helmets and collect your random reward, which could be coins, supplies, goods, a medium FP pack, 20 diamonds (once only), or a BLUEPRINT of your age. (Since you are in the Bronze Age, the blueprint can only be for one or the other of two Great Buildings - Zeus or The Tower of Babel. This is important, and this is the main reason why you're not advancing into Iron Age just yet (the other reasons will become apparent). When your random reward from a recurring quest is a blueprint, it is only a blueprint of your age or lower. When you are in Bronze Age, you have a 50% chance for a blueprint of either of the two Bronze Age Great Buildings. When you are Iron Age, that chance drops to a 25% chance for a blueprint from one of four Great Buildings, since there are two Great Buildings for every age.)

Both Zeus and Babel are worth having, and you will have plenty of goods to build both of them from the random rewards you are getting from repeating this recurring quest, which reminds me...

9) After collecting your reward for completing the quest for 2 helmets, abort your way through all the other recurring quests until you get back to that very same quest. Accept it, and collect from two more Blacksmiths. Complete the quest, collect the reward, abort the other recurring quests until you get to this one, accept it, collect from two more Blacksmiths, etc. until you have collected from all of your Blacksmiths.
10) Set all of your Blacksmiths again for 1-day productions. Alternatively, you may want to mix up completion times so clicking through the other recurring quests is less grindy. As long as you start production times in pairs it'll work out, whatever schedule you use.
11) Once you have complete sets of the Zeus and Babel blueprints, feel free to advance into Iron Age, though you might choose to stick around in Bronze Age a while longer and keep milking those quests for goods and FP packs, depending on your tolerance for tedium. There are these recurring quests at the end of every age's tech tree, but the Blacksmith is ideally suited for completing a great number of them as it has the smallest footprint of any of the supply buildings. Eventually though, you will want to move on.

I started 6 new cities last summer. Two of them I kept in Bronze Age until I had both GBs and hundreds of BA goods besides. The other four I advanced to Iron Age. It only took me 2-3 weeks of aiding neighbors daily and doing the blacksmith grind to get all my BPs for Zeus and Babel in my BA cities. It took me at least 2 months to have the same result in my Iron Age cities. You cannot contribute to other players' GBs while you're in Bronze Age, but at least for me, the evidence is clear as to which method produces quicker results.

A note about medium forge point packs: You'll end up with a lot of these doing the recurring quest grind. It's okay to spend a few on your shiny new GBs, particularly for getting them out of sticks, but my advice is to save them as much as possible, until you've been playing a while and can truly understand how useful mass quantities of stored FP can be.

Edit: After you've completed and collected on all your blacksmith quests, complete and collect on the coins quest. You may even be able to do this one a few times before the blacksmiths are ready to go again. As with the blacksmith quests, just abort through everything else until you hit the coins quest, complete and repeat.

DeletedUser25273

My understanding is that the random reward for quests will always be of your age or lower, but the reward you might get for motivating/polishing/aiding will be of the age of the building you targeted.

Note, the recurring quests only show up when you have exhausted the other side quests available, and certain advancements enable additional side quests, which is why if you want to follow this method you need to not advance too far on the continent, as that will delay you getting the recurring quests and the BPs, and you MUST get a Great Building planted before you complete the tech tree for bronze age or you are pretty much forced to advance into the Iron Age.

Mustapha00

Joining a Guild will also allow you to participate in Guild Expeditions. Several GE encounters have at least the possibility of giving up BPs when you complete them, so that's another way of acquiring them.

DeletedUser27096

My understanding is that the random reward for quests will always be of your age or lower, but the reward you might get for motivating/polishing/aiding will be of the age of the building you targeted.

Note, the recurring quests only show up when you have exhausted the other side quests available, and certain advancements enable additional side quests, which is why if you want to follow this method you need to not advance too far on the continent, as that will delay you getting the recurring quests and the BPs, and you MUST get a Great Building planted before you complete the tech tree for bronze age or you are pretty much forced to advance into the Iron Age.

Ugh, I guess I missed it since I crossed over to Iron Age. Thanks for the info, though! I now have at least one BP for 8 GBs. It will be a long time before I am able to place any, I think.

DeletedUser27096

My guess is that the 'side quests' have a trigger condition that enables them. Many are after the quest before them, some are triggered on entering an Era, some taking given sectors on the continent, and some by researching a technology (and maybe some other conditions). If you have been doing repeating quests, something might trigger a sequence of quests, which you can chose to do or abort, look at the rewards to see if it is worth it.
I am positive you are correct since many of the side quests I get are to conquer new regions, build new army units or build new production facilities (like goat farm, for example).

DeletedUser25273

Once you enter the Iron Age, you will no longer get the Bronze age recurring quests (so no more make 2 helmets). When you clear through the other Iron Age side quests, you will get into the Iron Age recurring quests, which are similar, but will ask for Iron age things, not Bronze age. Since you are a higher age, the various collection quests will need a bit more to be collected, and you no longer have the tiny 2x2 production building you can make lots of, so they are not quite as quick to complete.

This is one reason some really want to stay in Bronze age, as the Bronze age recurring quests are probably at least comparatively the easiest. The big disadvantage of staying in the Bronze age is that, by definition, you don't have the Architecture technology, so you can only put FP on your own Great Buildings, which opens up a lot of aspects of the game. It also says that if you DON'T get a Great Building in time, you hit the decision to either move into the Iron Age or start losing you ability to collect Forge Points (and it isn't worth doing that).

DeletedUser27034

I followed this guide for three worlds and I am having a lot of fun. I'm still "soaking" in two worlds and haven't felt like advancing them even though I have Zeus and Babel at lvl 4 on both worlds.

Also, you can get Diamonds more than once. It is a very small chance, but I have gotten them as a reward twice on one of my worlds.

DeletedUser13838

Also, you can get Diamonds more than once. It is a very small chance, but I have gotten them as a reward twice on one of my worlds.
Once per quest per age - after that the diamond reward is replaced by medals on that quest in that age.

DeletedUser27184

Another option to get lots of BP, is to get friends and join THEIR Great building biddings. Specifically you want the 300,000 to 1,000,000 points guys. Those have usually all the basic GB buildings (including the Bronze age ones) and they are leveling the building fast, as they would be around level 3-6.
You should try to reach around 80 friends from that point area. Then start to check on them all and all their GB's, and get into the biddings. You will get FP back + a lot of BP's. The more you check, them faster you will get BP's (up to a certain point of about once per day).

The tl'dr OCD guide will be:
0. ***You can be in what ever age you want***. If you so wish, you can Double-OCD-Double-BP plan by also doing the recurring quest OCD guide at the same time.
1. Get 80 friends as was written above. The best friends for this purpose is those WITHOUT a guild. As they will level their building with minimal help from other players. (Guild people usually have FP exchange system and it hurt the bidding system quite severely).
2. Visit the cities of each friend, and check ALL their GB. The more the merrier. At least once a day is needed the first few days.
3. If the building is close to the end of bidding, check if you can join in. The best is to get in with enough FP to snag a bid, and get from the bid the same amount of FP's. That will earn you most FP back, with BP and some medals.
3.1 If you really want some BP of specific GB, its still not worth to put TONS of FP to get it, and lose too many FP. In most cases with a bit of patience you can find biddings that you can win with only 10% of FP loss. With 20% loss you should be able to snag tons of biddings. Later you will have the arc, and it will become even easier to participate in biddings and earn all the FP back.
3.2 Learn the rules of GB and biddings: When you are in a friend city, just hover the GB with the mouse. The game will show you the amount of points (current and needed) so you can easily ignore most building quite fast (a CDM with 300/540 is not worth checking as its too far away from BIDDING time). You look for buildings with about 80% of the points already used. That's when the good deals appear. (The percentage vary a bit with the type of building and its level).

You can also join a guild with more advanced players then you. You should aim for a mostly colonial to postmodern ACTIVE guilds. Its harder to get the starting BP's like that in a guild, but later when you will get the GB's, its faster to level those up within a guild where you can exchange FP.

I rushed to HMA with zero GB's. Then joined a guild and stopped advancing. I acquired 2 GB's (Zeus and Hagia) within 2 weeks. Within a month I also got the Tor, CDM and the BP for Alcatraz (though it took me another week or two to get the goods to build it). In two months I got 9 GB's (including the arc).

The great thing about this system is that you get BP's from what your friends level up. This means you mostly get the best GB first. Arc, Tor, CDM, Zeus, alcatraz are super easy to get this way as they are leveled up furiously.

Last edited by a moderator: