• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Added 200% attack bonus, and no difference?

I fought in the GBG until my attrition rose enough and I found an army that I always got totally wiped out on auto-battle, no matter what combination of troops I used. My combat bonus was approx. 270/310.

I activated 50% attack boosts with the tavern and a potion, than placed 150% more attack bonus in my city upping my combat bonus to approx. 470/310.

I then went back to try to auto-battle against the exact same army I couldn't beat before and after several attempts, I finally was able to defeat it with 2 barely alive troops remaining. Attempts at the next army resulted in complete wipe outs, no matter what combination of troops I used for auto-battle.

I'm left scratching my head after expecting a significant increase in combat ability after nearly doubling my attack, but it seems 200% attack bonus increase has had no effect at all in being able to fight to a higher attrition. Is this something that is to be expected? If so, just how much extra attack bonus does one need to add to fight to a few more attrition?

CommanderCool1234

What attrition where you at? you are aware that as attrition goes up the attack of the defending army goes up to, right? Auto battle never has been and never will be as good as manuel battle even if you match troops simply because the A.I isn't as good as the defending army's A.I.

What attrition where you at? you are aware that as attrition goes up the attack of the defending army goes up to, right? Auto battle never has been and never will be as good as manuel battle even if you match troops simply because the A.I isn't as good as the defending army's A.I.

I was at attrition 40 before adding 200% extra attack bonus. When doing hundreds of battles a day in the GBG, there is really no other way than auto-battle. Usually I only go to 30 or so and quit. I went to maximum possible on auto-battle only as a measure to see increased battle capacity with 200% extra attack bonus, and there was none.

Agent327

When doing hundreds of battles a day in the GBG, there is really no other way than auto-battle.

Exactly, till you hit the point where you arrived and start losing all your units. At that point it really does not help to keep trying to autobattle, cause you will keep losing. What helps is to start battling on manual. You will at least be capable of doing a couple of extra battles. Not hundred, but if attrition at 40 is your max, you are not doing hundreds of battles anyhow.

qaccy

The outcome of battles depends a lot more on what units are being used than the bonuses involved or even whether auto battle is being used. Some enemy matchups are just more difficult, and these matchups are where players tend to tap out when they reach high attrition levels. A player in SAAB is probably going to tap out at high attrition when they see 8 Nail Storms as the enemy, but Shredders+B.E.L.T.s would be an easy victory at the same attrition level.

Also, contrary to popular opinion, the AI actually does well enough for general use in the majority of battles, especially factoring in that the majority of players aren't going to be skilled enough to succeed in a 'hard' battle where auto loses. I'd even suggest that auto battling is more successful for many players than fighting manually due to this lack of experience. The one tactic players typically learn when it comes to manual battles is to hold back fast units on their first turn so the enemy can advance first, and that's usually where the learning stops because in a practical sense, that's the biggest difference between manual and auto and where auto is the most 'stupid'. One big caveat to everything I just said is the continent map, where the AI is significantly different from every other area of the game. That one's usually just fine to power through with high bonuses though, since the enemy units tend to be statistically weaker than stuff in places like GE and GBG.

RazorbackPirate

I was at attrition 40 before adding 200% extra attack bonus. When doing hundreds of battles a day in the GBG, there is really no other way than auto-battle. Usually I only go to 30 or so and quit. I went to maximum possible on auto-battle only as a measure to see increased battle capacity with 200% extra attack bonus, and there was none.
I partial Auto when I fight. If nothing else, this allows me to move my real unit aside before I hit Auto. Or as suggested above, I may skip the first turn to let the enemy advance, then Auto battle the rest.

Manual or Auto, one of the biggest factors in the amount of losses I take is terrain. For instance, when facing mostly artillery and range units, a bunch of crap between me and them means heavy losses, clear terrain means just a few scratches. I will absolutely surrender when I get crap terrain, 4-5 times if needed, to get a terrain that allows for a win with no losses.

As attrition increases, terrain becomes even more important, as does manual battling at least the first round of a battle. This also allows me to minimize losses as I can move an injured unit to the side in a 2 wave fight, where the AI will send them to their death. I'd much rather send my units to the hospital than the morgue. It's faster than recruiting new units, and means I never run out of unattached units, without the need for Alcatraz.

Another thing I'll add is that increasing Attack more doesn't allow you to withstand more hits . So unless you're able to take out enough units more quickly to prevent them from getting in the number of hits needed to kill your units, more Attack makes little difference, as you found out.

Last edited:

Emberguard

There's a lot of different factors that could be causing it.

If you're in Contemporary for example, and your opponent is a certain Assualt Tank unit with Reactive Armor then your boosts are going to be irrelevant past a certain point. Because that units skill prevents it from taking more then X damage per hit

Johnny B. Goode

When doing hundreds of battles a day in the GBG, there is really no other way than auto-battle.
We're not talking about hundreds of battles. We're talking about the battle where you hit the wall. To continue to auto-battle a fight that you repeatedly lose is pure folly. Especially after you added 200% attack boost and were still losing. One manual battle would not have taken as long as reloading a new army and trying again over and over like you did. And at least if you manually battled you might have seen why you were getting beat every time.
Also, contrary to popular opinion, the AI actually does well enough for general use in the majority of battles, especially factoring in that the majority of players aren't going to be skilled enough to succeed in a 'hard' battle where auto loses.
As I noted above, we're not talking about the "majority of battles" here, we're talking about the one battle where he hit the wall. In such a case there is no sense in repeatedly auto-battling and losing. And if a player is so unskilled that manually battling makes no difference then they have no business complaining about whether boosts make any difference.

Glockgemini

Auto-Battle is only useful until you start loosing too many troops. Then its time to roll up the sleeves and go manual. There are several tactical defects in Auto-Battle that can be avoided doing manual battle. Of course, if you suck at battle tactics too, there is not much you can do.

Flavius Belisarius

I partial Auto when I fight. If nothing else, this allows me to move my real unit aside before I hit Auto. Or as suggested above, I may skip the first turn to let the enemy advance, then Auto battle the rest.

Manual or Auto, one of the biggest factors in the amount of losses I take is terrain. For instance, when facing mostly artillery and range units, a bunch of crap between me and them means heavy losses, clear terrain means just a few scratches. I will absolutely surrender when I get crap terrain, 4-5 times if needed, to get a terrain that allows for a win with no losses.

As attrition increases, terrain becomes even more important, as does manual battling at least the first round of a battle. This also allows me to minimize losses as I can move an injured unit to the side in a 2 wave fight, where the AI will send them to their death. I'd much rather send my units to the hospital than the morgue. It's faster than recruiting new units, and means I never run out of unattached units, without the need for Alcatraz.

Another thing I'll add is that increasing Attack more doesn't allow you to withstand more hits . So unless you're able to take out enough units more quickly to prevent them from getting in the number of hits needed to kill your units, more Attack makes little difference, as you found out.
Best short answer on FOE CBT Tactics I've ever seen.

DeletedUser

The extra multiplier is on your base amount not your existing bonus. I am at 989/679 and the full 50% tavern/potion makes no difference and this is expected especially once att gets around the 60-65 mark. With higher attrition you have to carefully select your units to be effective against your opponent. Eg in my case a Plasma is 100% ineffective against even 1 drone in the opposing force. I see a drone then I put Battlefortresses , I see a Behemoth then I put in a Plasma , A Plasma then another Plasma , etc. Fight intelligently and you will see your att levels climb fast. My max fight on AB is 61 , on manual it is 88. Defence on Att is your friend when it comes to AB.

Lord Pest

If you ever give the SAM map a go while in AF. Go with 8 recon rangers or 8 plasma cannons depending on the lineup you face. We all get to the point in GBG where we cannot autofight and win. You can squeeze a few morecwins out of manual fighting but even that will only get you so far. My attack is over 1100% and I’ll only use the 20% bonus potion in inventory. I’ve given up using the tavern fighting bonuses as they no longer get me much of a boost in what I can do in GBG.

Glockgemini

The extra multiplier is on your base amount not your existing bonus. I am at 989/679 and the full 50% tavern/potion makes no difference and this is expected especially once att gets around the 60-65 mark. With higher attrition you have to carefully select your units to be effective against your opponent. Eg in my case a Plasma is 100% ineffective against even 1 drone in the opposing force. I see a drone then I put Battlefortresses , I see a Behemoth then I put in a Plasma , A Plasma then another Plasma , etc. Fight intelligently and you will see your att levels climb fast. My max fight on AB is 61 , on manual it is 88. Defence on Att is your friend when it comes to AB.
Yeah, a 2 hit kill at 700 is still a 2 hit kill at 900, except for maybe when AO kicks in.