• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Advance through ages or wait for a GB?

DeletedUser

Hey all!

I'm fairly new to this game and I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out and I think I've reached my first big crosspath and I have no idea what to do.

Here's my situation:
I'm ready to advance to High Middle Ages but I'm not sure if this is a good move right now since I have NONE GB.
I repeat NONE!

What would you do If you where me?
I know that everyone has his own strategy but hey let's hear some thoughts! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser8428

GB are not required for advancement. They are helpful, the lack is not a game killer. Leaving your stuff laying around for your neighbors to steal out from under your nose - now that is a game killer.

DeletedUser

Maybe it's not a game killer but can make your game more difficult?
Don't have problem with plundering (at least until now). No attack has ever passed.

DeletedUser8428

Sure, having GB to produce goods, FP, etc are helpful in any era. But working your way quickly through the tech tree or going slowly is a personal preference. In early eras, I moved quickly. By the time I got to LMA, I was moving more slowly to build up my goods and resources.

DeletedUser13838

If your hood still has players in Bronze/Iron age (or buildings from there) then stay in EMA until you at least get the BPs for LOA and Zeus at least (I also like babel). Then you should be able to get the BPs for Hagia and Aachen at your leisure. They are all worth having IMO. If you advance too fast you will be less likely to have players with the necessary buildings n your hood.

Also do your best to fill up your friends list with players in the age of GBs you're trying to get.

DeletedUser

But how can you find BPs (I'm referring to random ones) when you have progressed and you neighbours, also so there are no buildings from earlier eras to polish? And what you can do with your goods production? You keep those buildings foreva?

Edit:
Answer goes to hjh102

DeletedUser

Konrad this is what my logic tells me to do but has made my gameplay a little dull :p

I have stopped plundering and started polishing but it's kind of boring

DeletedUser8428

I agree with Konrad. Fill up your friends list with people who are in the same age as the building you want. Join a guild that has people in the age you want AND people more advanced. M/P every day, everybody you can think of. Contribute every spare forge point to players who have a Zeus or LoA. You'll get the BP

DeletedUser13838

Keep producing goods from your current era. You would still need to unlock new goods on the continent map. With Zeus and CoA it'll become easier to win those provinces by conquest.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I think I have to start working with my friend list. I've been giving all my forge points to Zeus and Lighthouse but it keeps giving me extras and extras and I trade them with more extras....good times! lol

But if I have gathered all the goods for great buildings is it a good idea to delete them or they will be usefull in later eras?

DeletedUser13452

HMA is a big leap as far as expenses with your tech tree and actually building things. I always advise ppl to get their St. Marks and LoA before getting very far beyond EMA. I'm also a fan of sitting at the top of any age for a while and stockpiling goods befor moving on. GL elmakat, let us know how u do. :)

Oh, and never delete blueprints.

DeletedUser10415

If you examine the tech tree, you'll see that the goods of one age are required for tech in the following two ages. For this reason, some players will sit and 'soak' in an age, allowing their goods-producing GBs to provide them with a pile of goods to cover this. But you have no GBs at all.

While not vital to gameplay, having them certainly is very useful. Especially the ones that produce goods. And while you can get blueprints for a GB by contributing FP to someone else's, that is the slow way to go about it. The fastest way (short of outright buying them with diamonds) is polivating buildings of the same age as that GB, and to do that, you're best off in a neighborhood that has a lot of the age of buildings you want to polivate. If you race through the ages, your neighborhood kind of keeps up with you, tech-wise, and suddenly finding blueprints for early age GBs like Babel and the Lighthouse (both goods producers), is much more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser10415

Konrad this is what my logic tells me to do but has made my gameplay a little dull :p

I have stopped plundering and started polishing but it's kind of boring

The game is a little dull anyway, if you look at it as the sort of game you can sit and play for hours on end. It's usually not that kind of game, except in rare GvG situations. If you want the game to take up more of your time, start cities on other worlds. Also worth noting, FoE is a long game. There's no point in racing through the ages - it won't make your city stronger, but quite the opposite, unless you're keen on spending thousands of dollars on diamonds.

DeletedUser

Thanks for your helpful advices guys!
I think my dull game era has just started... :p

DeletedUser13838

Yeah, I think I have to start working with my friend list. I've been giving all my forge points to Zeus and Lighthouse but it keeps giving me extras and extras and I trade them with more extras....good times! lol

But if I have gathered all the goods for great buildings is it a good idea to delete them or they will be usefull in later eras?
By the way you shouldn't be putting forge points into your own GBs. If you're in a guild you should be able to join a GB guild or at least arrange an fp swap with a couple of people. The top GB donaters, excluding the owner, get prizes when it levels, including forge point packs and medals.

DeletedUser10517

Thanks for your helpful advices guys!
I think my dull game era has just started... :p

The best thing you can do is join a guild.......which will give you a lot more people to Mo/Po or Aid, thus bringing you more BP chances.

Continue to collect goods....but always upgrade goods buildings to the next level as soon as you can.....so for example, if you are in the EMA, you shouldnt have any BronzeAge buildings left....as they should all now be Iron Age.

You will need lots of goods for GBs, Tech Tree and Negotiations if you dont fight.

DeletedUser17558

Find out what GB's fit with your style and only build those. That isn't saying you can't build anything later, but early on, St. Marks and the Lighthouse are fantastic. The Hagia and Babel are both a waste of space, IMO, but don't let that stop you from building them if you think they are what you need. I agree with the concensus that it is a good time to slow down, unless you like being at the bottom of your hood, that is.

DeletedUser

The best thing you can do is join a guild.......which will give you a lot more people to Mo/Po or Aid, thus bringing you more BP chances.

Continue to collect goods....but always upgrade goods buildings to the next level as soon as you can.....so for example, if you are in the EMA, you shouldnt have any BronzeAge buildings left....as they should all now be Iron Age.

You will need lots of goods for GBs, Tech Tree and Negotiations if you dont fight.
If you're getting rid of all your older age goods buildings then I take it your having to do a lot of down trading whenever you want to level your GBs?
I understand replacing other building types as you go up levels, but seems like always having to arrange down trades would be a hassle.

Mustapha00

You do not have to have GBs in order to play this game, but they certainly make things much easier (or less tedious- your choice).

I made the mistake of advancing too quickly in my first world, as I found myself way behind in terms of military technology, to fight either other players or the AI (in acquiring Provinces). I found myself being given quests that took- I'm not kidding- 10 days or more to complete because the requirements for completion were well into the next Era's tech tree. I found myself having to trade up for huge amounts of Goods that I could not produce, and that takes time to amass enough of the Goods I could produce to trade. Plus, there really is no "must-do" incentive for speeding along, as the ranking are really not important to anything in terms of game mechanics.

Take your time. Build up your stockpiles of coin, supplies and Goods. Build and level some GBs (Lighthouse of Alexandria for the boost to supply production, St. Mark's for the boost to coin production, Zeus for the boost to attack and defense, Hagia (though it takes up too much space for its benefits) for it's bonus to Happiness and Forge Points each day are all excellent choices early on and even into later game in the cases of the Lighthouse). Do some fighting, do some trading, do alot of Polishing and Motivating. There's no rush.