• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Advance through ages or wait for a GB?

DeletedUser10415

If you're getting rid of all your older age goods buildings then I take it your having to do a lot of down trading whenever you want to level your GBs?
I understand replacing other building types as you go up levels, but seems like always having to arrange down trades would be a hassle.
GBs only cost goods once - to construct them initially. Subsequent levels only cost forge points.

DeletedUser

Yay! I'm happy to announce that (finally) I'm the proud owner of a Lighthouse!
And now I'm ready to rush into the next era.Nooope! I'm taking your advice guys to slow down and enjoy...the silence...

The best thing you can do is join a guild.......which will give you a lot more people to Mo/Po or Aid, thus bringing you more BP chances.
Continue to collect goods....but always upgrade goods buildings to the next level as soon as you can.....so for example, if you are in the EMA, you shouldnt have any BronzeAge buildings left....as they should all now be Iron Age.

Actually I'm already in a guild and I was really happy about it at first, because its the number 10 guild in our world, until I realised I can't get BPs from early eras. At least I have a good stockpile for later lol
I'm also keeping some military from the previous era in order to be able to fight in 2 towers and I have also kept my goods buildings? I plan to stockpile and then get rid of them.No?

Find out what GB's fit with your style and only build those. That isn't saying you can't build anything later, but early on, St. Marks and the Lighthouse are fantastic. The Hagia and Babel are both a waste of space, IMO, but don't let that stop you from building them if you think they are what you need. I agree with the concensus that it is a good time to slow down, unless you like being at the bottom of your hood, that is.

I made the mistake of advancing too quickly in my first world, as I found myself way behind in terms of military technology, to fight either other players or the AI (in acquiring Provinces). I found myself being given quests that took- I'm not kidding- 10 days or more to complete because the requirements for completion were well into the next Era's tech tree. I found myself having to trade up for huge amounts of Goods that I could not produce, and that takes time to amass enough of the Goods I could produce to trade. Plus, there really is no "must-do" incentive for speeding along, as the ranking are really not important to anything in terms of game mechanics.

Take your time. Build up your stockpiles of coin, supplies and Goods. Build and level some GBs (Lighthouse of Alexandria for the boost to supply production, St. Mark's for the boost to coin production, Zeus for the boost to attack and defense, Hagia (though it takes up too much space for its benefits) for it's bonus to Happiness and Forge Points each day are all excellent choices early on and even into later game in the cases of the Lighthouse). Do some fighting, do some trading, do alot of Polishing and Motivating. There's no rush.

Well, I'm thinking of Zeus next and yeah I don't find Babel and Hagia so attractive. I also have the same feeling about Colosseum.
Aachen also seems good for me I think. But maybe I'll need a 'hapiness' building in the end? We'll see...

DeletedUser

GBs only cost goods once - to construct them initially. Subsequent levels only cost forge points.
Ok thanks, I'm new to game and was confused, thought for 10+ levels you'd need more goods as well as extra sets of BPs. Now I'll know better :)

DeletedUser10517

No, dont stockpile lower era goods.
Build as high as you can and then trade down.

Example......10 lumber is 10 Lumber.....you will never have more than 10 goods.
Whereas 10 Gold can be used as 10 gold, or you can trade it for 20 iron age goods or 40 bronze age goods.......You have options.

As a lower aged player, it makes no sense to make lower aged goods when you can produce higher and trade down.

It was the best piece of advice I ever got, and Ive never been short on any goods since..........but I do trade down regularly, and keep all my goods at at least 200 of each.

DeletedUser17558

Well, I'm thinking of Zeus next and yeah I don't find Babel and Hagia so attractive. I also have the same feeling about Colosseum.
Aachen also seems good for me I think. But maybe I'll need a 'hapiness' building in the end? We'll see...

Congratulations on the LH, it was my first GB as well. I like fighting so the Aachen, Zeus, and CdM were no brainers to me. And for happiness, the best building is the Alcatraz, IMO.

DeletedUser10415

Getting Alcatraz at an early age is difficult without really good guild support or advanced and charitable friends. Many do not get it until it's age or beyond. While it's true that Hagia is large, it's not much bigger than the 4 marketplaces it could replace and then exceed in happiness value, as well as delivering extra forge points.

Mustapha00

el, you mentioned that the Guild you're a member of is a higher level guild with most players in later Eras of the game. You're right that it will make getting BPs from earlier Era GBs harder to get (you'll have to reply on your Neighborhood and Friends List), like the Hagia. But it might make getting Notre Dame easier, as it's from a later Era in the game. I think the Happiness it generates is in the same ballpark and I want to say it is somewhat smaller than the Hagia. It's other benefit is, I think, Coin production rather than Forge Point production. Since ND is from a later Era, your Guild might have more players in that Era than the one you're in, so getting BPs from M/P might be easier.
Colosseum seems to be a waste. It's hugemopngous and most folks seem to believe that the number of medals it gives each day isn't worth the space it takes up. I tend to agree, and have not built one on any world.

DeletedUser13838

I wouldn't suggest building the notre dame or the Colosseum. I had the colosseum but recent;y sold it. Don't know why I waited so long. I'd build the Hagia. It's big but produces forge points and forge points are good.

DeletedUser10415

It's really a toss-up as to which is more useless...The Colosseum or Notre Lame.

Forge points ARE good. They're the dominant form of currency in the game. Players who are further along in the tech tree and thus have access to a wider variety of happiness options and who also have scads of Shrines of Knowledge may be able to do well enough without a Hagia Sophia, but it is pretty darn useful until a player gets to that point.

Mustapha00

Double checked myself and I am wrong: in addition to Happiness, Notre Dame produces Supplies. It is also the same overall dimensions as Hagia, except that ND is 4x6 whereas Hagia is 6x4. So I guess I am now in the position of having to disagree with myself.

iamtheemperor

Double checked myself and I am wrong: in addition to Happiness, Notre Dame produces Supplies. It is also the same overall dimensions as Hagia, except that ND is 4x6 whereas Hagia is 6x4. So I guess I am now in the position of having to disagree with myself.

Except that Haggy is 7x6. :p

DeletedUser14634

Hey all!

I'm fairly new to this game and I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out and I think I've reached my first big crosspath and I have no idea what to do.

Here's my situation:
I'm ready to advance to High Middle Ages but I'm not sure if this is a good move right now since I have NONE GB.
I repeat NONE!

What would you do If you where me?
I know that everyone has his own strategy but hey let's hear some thoughts! :)

I would say it really depends on the style of player you are. But I recommend that you get your LOA and ST marks up sooner the better and work on leveling them fast. Then you can stock pile coins and supps so you never left needing them. Plus at the lower levels you build many more houses so its good to take advatnge of them before you get into lets say modern where less house will do and you dont use your 90 builing boost on coins from st marks daily. Unless your tel type that will build one hour production house and farm them for hours. I personal went the other way and build most all era 24 hour house and with a large freinds list and guild in a day they sure to be moted when i got to collect them add a stmarks and coins are ouring into my city. and supply with an LOA since iron era has taken care of my need just fine and dont need to bother withthe Royal albert hall anytime soon.

If you a fighter like me tranz, SOZ, COA, and CdelM are the GB I build the sooner the better in a good guild should be able to help with the needed goods and doantions to great building are the best way to score prints.

DeletedUser14634

But one more thing is I advanced yesterday and I think you should to because the prizes will be of the upper level and that will give you a great boost if you can score some nice new building goign into the new year before you complete the tech. So definatly advance your city before scoring the xmas prizes

DeletedUser10415

But one more thing is I advanced yesterday and I think you should to because the prizes will be of the upper level and that will give you a great boost if you can score some nice new building goign into the new year before you complete the tech. So definatly advance your city before scoring the xmas prizes

Since army packs were introduced for the reasonable price of 3.99, and are often offered, rushing through to the next age for an event has lost a great amount of it's usefulness.