• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Age up before of after GE begins?

blueskydwg

Planning on moving up to Colonial from LMA.
Plan was to wait until neighborhood changed and GE started.
But got a caution against the GE part.
What say you with lots of experience?

DeletedUser35475

You stay in whatever age you are when it starts. I always move up on a Tuesday. That way I stay in my old age for the GE and have a chance to collect new era goods for a week before the next one but I negotiate a lot in GE. If you fight you may want to advance on a Monday so you can get better troops as rewards for the encounters that give them.

DeletedUser29726

You stay in whatever age you are when it starts. I always move up on a Tuesday. That way I stay in my old age for the GE and have a chance to collect new era goods for a week before the next one but I negotiate a lot in GE. If you fight you may want to advance on a Monday so you can get better troops as rewards for the encounters that give them.

Advancing on tuesday is often good for troops as well. You get easier fights for a week (can often fight the full 64) and relics can still give you current age troops rather than the age of the GE.

DeletedUser35475

Advancing on tuesday is often good for troops as well. You get easier fights for a week (can often fight the full 64) and relics can still give you current age troops rather than the age of the GE.

Good point.

DeletedUser31592

I also age up on Tuesday after GE starts. It allows you to prepare for the following week's GE. I do level 4 every week and can do this even after aging up because I age up on Tuesday and always have a plan in place.
Also, if playing in a new world or a new guild where the treasury may be low, aging up prior to GE can hurt the guild. If there isn't enough goods in the treasury to support your new era, you either would have to donate them or your whole guild would be locked out of GE. Aging up after GE starts lets your OBS/Atom/Arc do its job (if you have one).

The only benefit you receive from aging up before is that the prizes will be from your new era. But.... if you don't have enough troops to fight or goods to negotiate, how are you going to win them?

DeletedUser32906

I normally wait for The Tuesday after the GE starts and on the new hood change. Gives you a week of prior and known encounters in the GE and two weeks to work on your research before you move neighborhoods

blueskydwg

Perfect - thanks for the info. That (moving on Tuesday) was what I was planning but wanted to make sure. I've got all the goods, coins, and supplies and most of the FPs, so I should make it through to the end of the tech tree before the following week. And Inno gives me the people I need to build all those new military, goods, and production buildings.

RazorbackPirate

The only benefit you receive from aging up before is that the prizes will be from your new era. But.... if you don't have enough troops to fight or goods to negotiate, how are you going to win them?

Does this include the unattached units you'll get or everything but unattached units?

DeletedUser

Does this include the unattached units you'll get or everything but unattached units?
It includes the unattached units, but remember that you will be having to battle higher age units and/or negotiate with higher era goods if you move up before GE starts. So if you are in Colonial Age and you move up after GE starts, you'll still face LMA/Colonial troops and use LMA/Colonial goods. But if you move up to Industrial before GE starts, you'll be facing Colonial/Indy troops and have to use Colonial/Indy goods. And the GE armies' boosts will be higher, too.

RazorbackPirate

It includes the unattached units, but remember that you will be having to battle higher age units and/or negotiate with higher era goods if you move up before GE starts. So if you are in Colonial Age and you move up after GE starts, you'll still face LMA/Colonial troops and use LMA/Colonial goods. But if you move up to Industrial before GE starts, you'll be facing Colonial/Indy troops and have to use Colonial/Indy goods. And the GE armies' boosts will be higher, too.

That is what I thought, but having read other responses to similar questions on other threads, I wasn't sure.

Knowing this, I can't see doing it any other way. One extra week fighting and negotiating with the stuff I already have, and a week to get some unattached units from the new age to pair with my Rogues. Plus a jump start on the new goods with everything else, like buildings from the new age or age locked to the new age.

DeletedUser

That is what I thought, but having read other responses to similar questions on other threads, I wasn't sure.

Knowing this, I can't see doing it any other way. One extra week fighting and negotiating with the stuff I already have, and a week to get some unattached units from the new age to pair with my Rogues. Plus a jump start on the new goods with everything else, like buildings from the new age or age locked to the new age.
Just to clarify, your encounter rewards will still be tied to the age you were when GE started, but your Relic rewards will be tied to your present (new) age. So using my example of moving up after GE starts from Colonial to Indy, your encounter reward troops will be Colonial, but any troops you get from Relics will be Indy.

RazorbackPirate

Just to clarify, your encounter rewards will still be tied to the age you were when GE started, but your Relic rewards will be tied to your present (new) age. So using my example of moving up after GE starts from Colonial to Indy, your encounter reward troops will be Colonial, but any troops you get from Relics will be Indy.

Hence the confusion when I read various answers. Thanks for clarifying.