• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Alternative Futures

Rhyyss

I guess if this got fleshed out enough it could grow into an actual proposal... But what would people think of different alternative future eras. Not every civilization follows the same path.

Since the end game is already deep into the realm of science fiction...

What if after the last level of Oceanic Future you had to make a choice, for example

Following a path of increased machine/human interface. Cybernetic and bionic enhancements. Neural implants. Humanity moving toward a cybernetic future, - OR - Increased focus on genetic manipulation. Bio-engineered ships and genetically designed humans.

Or if you wanted it to be geographic focus you might have to choose between underground exploration or orbital cities.

It might be interesting to interact, fight and trade with civilizations that were radically different than yours.

From a game management perspective I realize it would be a great deal of work, but it might be really cool...

Thoughts?

Jase249

It would have to be put into the correct format but I definitely think it's an interesting idea! I know on Elvenar you have to choose between humans and elves but I don't play it so IDK if they're actually different or if just aesthetics. I think it would be fun to have different choose different paths, and especially if you had to trade across the different civilization structures.

Falconwing

My question is, why do I have to choose? Why can't I research bionics and genetics? Why would researching cybernetics and bionics stop me from studying genetic manipulation or vise versa? In the real world we do both already. Same goes for the exploration. Why can't I have some people exploring caves while others go into space? Why would any advanced society handicap themselves that way?

Another thing is, what if one turns out to be superior (game wise) to the other? Lets say that, for whatever reason, Bionics was better than Genetics (more bonuses or whatever). The people who studied Genetics would be mad and feel shafted, being forever stuck on the weaker path, while the rest of the players focused on Bionics.

DeletedUser

I rather like the concept, although I don't see it happening in FoE. It would be cool, though. Reminds me of the Gordon R Dickson book, Dorsai.

Algona

Love the concept.

As Falconwing points out it'd take a hekuva lot of effort on INNO's part to balance the choices. I don't trust INNO right now to have good enough judhement to maintain such a balance.

But wow, the possibilities.

Right after Oceanic Future Part 825b - Crustacea's Triumph.

Rhyyss

My question is, why do I have to choose? Why can't I research bionics and genetics? Why would researching cybernetics and bionics stop me from studying genetic manipulation or vise versa? In the real world we do both already. Same goes for the exploration. Why can't I have some people exploring caves while others go into space? Why would any advanced society handicap themselves that way?

You could, of course, and that's the way the game currently set up. My idea is maybe there might be a way to focus so not all empires end up basically the same.

Rhyyss

Another thing is, what if one turns out to be superior (game wise) to the other? Lets say that, for whatever reason, Bionics was better than Genetics (more bonuses or whatever). The people who studied Genetics would be mad and feel shafted, being forever stuck on the weaker path, while the rest of the players focused on Bionics.

Right, that could be an issue. The different branches could be tweaked from time to time keep balance, but for all the reasons that have been mentioned, it would be a great deal of work for the good folks an INNO

DeletedUser26532

The concept is one i REALLY like in general.

But as others have pointed out, balancing it is almost impossible without a LOT of work, especially if the two streams can interact.