• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Antique bidding

FunnyWanderer

Is it just me or is there some arcane rule that only starts the antique bidding clock when you come back to FoE after a break? I have never joined an auction that had less than 1 hour and 55 minutes left on the bidding. This means that unless I manage to come back in less than 2 hours, I will always lose the auction (except a couple of times when I won by sheer surprise and for a few coins). I don't see anything in these threads or the Wiki about this and wondered if somehow I have incredibly horrible timing or if its built in the system.

UBERhelp1

The auctions start every 50 players that enter the AD. So, if you were the first to enter the AD the timer would be 2 hours. If you were the last, it would be the same amount of time left as 2 hours minus the time between when you and the first person entered the AD. Once the auction fills to 50 people, the next person to enter the AD starts a new auction.

Also, after an auction finishes there is a 30 minute period before you can join a new one.

DeletedUser

Well, it seems that you enter to check if it's an interesting item than wait for less than 2 hours and then compete to auction
Who the hell do you think that has that time in the real world?
Like you live in your mummy's cellar and have no real issues to take care?
this was a game, not a time squandering non-sense...
Think it over and shorten the waiting time.

DeletedUser37581

Well, it seems that you enter to check if it's an interesting item than wait for less than 2 hours and then compete to auction
It's not like you have to spend two hours in the game in order to bid on an item you like. You can place a bid at any time (most items do not have bidding wars in the final minutes). But if the item is interesting, it only takes a minute to set an alarm for two hours hence, then return to the game and compete in some bidding if necessary. Total time: maybe five minutes.

UBERhelp1

Generally what I do is ask myself, when will I be online later today? Then, I enter the AD a little bit less than 2 hours before that time.

Emberguard

Like you live in your mummy's cellar and have no real issues to take care?
this was a game, not a time squandering non-sense...
Think it over and shorten the waiting time.
You know, you could just place a bid high enough others don't outbid you. You don't need to be on for 2 hrs. You just need a window of 2 hrs where you're free to log back in at the end of auction. Which if you're working is likely to either be 2 hrs before leaving for work, or the 2 hrs after work.

DeletedUser30312

I usually do the bidding wars when I'm watching TV or something where I can keep a casual eye on the timer. And some items I'll put a bid on it to start things off and not care about the results, but if no one else wants it then I get it. Often that'll be for something that's worth trading back to the AD for gems or something mildly useful.

time4coffee

The auctions start every 50 players that enter the AD. So, if you were the first to enter the AD the timer would be 2 hours. If you were the last, it would be the same amount of time left as 2 hours minus the time between when you and the first person entered the AD. Once the auction fills to 50 people, the next person to enter the AD starts a new auction.

Also, after an auction finishes there is a 30 minute period before you can join a new one.
Then I must always be the first, since it always starts at 158 or 159 depending when I notice, which really seems improbable since there are times when an opening bid is already placed but still the clock starts at the same place. I am really confused by the timing. Other days I must admit it feels like no one is looking or I super lucky. Placed a low bid on great item and left figuring it'd be gone, nope I was the only bidder and won

Kranyar the Mysterious

It's also possible that once the timer gets down below a certain point that no new players are added to that auction, even if there are less than 50 players in it.

DeletedUser29726

It'd probably help if there was a minimum bid increase of 10%. General practice for auctions if you can't sit out a war is you simply bid the maximum you're willing to pay for the item and whether you win or lose it you're happy - you either got the item you wanted or the auction went for more than you're willing to pay. But if you're willing to pay 20000 for an item, you're probably also willing to pay 20001. So while you might not mind if someone paid 22000 for it, because that's significantly over what you felt it was worth to you, if you find out someone paid 20001 you're probably going to be annoyed.

If you're deal-hunting though, yes that's a come back in 2 hours thing because you're really hoping you can pay significantly less than what you value the item at. And it kinda needs to be moderated like that because the more people are successful at deal-hunting, the less people will spend in general and before long the idea of the antique dealer having things you actually want and can trade in things you don't want for them will start to lose its luster.