• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Antiques Dealer

67Sage101

how about imagine before there even was an AD. you would get a big fat NOTHING for it.
Ha Ha. Yea. Good one. These forums are quite hilarious. Most don't appear to use them to as a basis for discussion. It's more like a basis for the next pithy SLAM.

Hang on a minute and you will see someone post something like, "duh...that the way the game is and I personally love it, quit trying to change it".

I guess I approach the forums as a programmer. I know that everything is a function of 1's and 0's. All the devs have to do set a few values in the code. They could program a golden goose that runs around dropping diamonds on the street and as Ann Boleyn said, "Not ever going to happen".

So to try and stimulate discussion....why Nicholas002 do you like the huge disparity between what the dealer offers vs. what you get in return for giving up your stuff that took many hours to accumulate.

67Sage101

You should approach them as a customer. See it as a pawn shop. You get way less that you paid for it, and it gets sold for way more than you got. Pawn shops aren't fair. They are just there when you need them.

Well I do approach it that way in the game. I only use the pawn shop to fulfill quest line requirements. I've not found much use of the games "pawn" shop other than filling that requirement and much like real life where I don't go to pawn shops as a seller, I only buy expecting to pay way less than street value. If I found a wishing well shrink kit for the about the same as a wishing well, I might take the offer. And in RL the shop owner makes a living off the difference. In the game world it's no advantage to have anything sell in the antiques shop.

But that alas lead me to the inevitable conclusion I always circle back to. The real purpose it to display carrots with a convenient way to buy game currency to fulfill my game desires. A guild member just revealed his real life expenses. Appauling. And way more money than anyone would pay for any popular title on steam.

When you finally realize that the game devs are just trying to get you to fund their retirement accounts, it loses a little of the game luster. They want me to pony up hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a game for small little rewards here and there. I did that once and will never do it again. In the end I spent a lot and the developer shut the game down and deleted everything I had paid for. Lesson learned.

Nicholas002

Well, if you could flip houses in the AD for a profit, it would render event, daily challenges, and other features pointless as you could build up an infinite stock of trade coins, and thus get as many awesome buildings as you could fit in your city, for no cost.

I agree with you 100% about spending. I play the game to have fun. Most of the fun is from forging a better city than many diamond buyers, and facing the challenge of building my city without buying diamonds. Buy diamonds would lose me money, as well as take away half my fun, so it would be doubly bad. That being said, I appreciate those who support the devs, and pay my share of their paycheck. ;)

Agent327

Well I do approach it that way in the game. I only use the pawn shop to fulfill quest line requirements. I've not found much use of the games "pawn" shop other than filling that requirement and much like real life where I don't go to pawn shops as a seller, I only buy expecting to pay way less than street value. If I found a wishing well shrink kit for the about the same as a wishing well, I might take the offer.

You have that option in the auctions.

And in RL the shop owner makes a living off the difference. In the game world it's no advantage to have anything sell in the antiques shop.

So it should just be given away?

But that alas lead me to the inevitable conclusion I always circle back to. The real purpose it to display carrots with a convenient way to buy game currency to fulfill my game desires. A guild member just revealed his real life expenses. Appauling. And way more money than anyone would pay for any popular title on steam.

It isn't. That is the argument always used by players if things don't go the way they want. What's the rush? Be patient and you will find the right items at the right prize.

When you finally realize that the game devs are just trying to get you to fund their retirement accounts, it loses a little of the game luster. They want me to pony up hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a game for small little rewards here and there. I did that once and will never do it again. In the end I spent a lot and the developer shut the game down and deleted everything I had paid for. Lesson learned.

Arguments like this are a much bigger loss of game luster.

You are a programmer. How would you approach people that hardly know your work and have an opinion about it in a real short time without having any real experience?

RazorbackPirate

There was a time, quite recently in fact, that we didn't have an Antiques dealer. What we had was tons of stuff we'd never use in inventory, rotting away doing nothing. Now we can sell that junk to the AD and use the coins and gems we get back to buy stuff we will use in exchange. Selling and buying, I've added almost 50 extra FPs to my daily production, replacing SoKs with Dark Doorways, then eventually replacing the Dark Doorways with Pillars of Honor. Each upgrade giving me more stuff in less space.

Oh, and I always shop for deals. I'll run up a bid to the point I won;t pay more than tap out and let others buy the item for a price I won't pay. I also have no qualms with a business wanting to make money to pay their employees and investors, especially when every transaction withing the game is voluntary. And me? I've never spent a dime on the game. I've been playing for years for free. Not only is Inno generous in letting me play for free, they're also generous in letting me earn diamonds playing for free.

I'll never complain about those who choose to spend real money on the game, no matter how much they spend. It's not up to me to decide how another spends their money, it's just up to me how I spend mine. While I choose to spend my money elsewhere, those that spend theirs with Inno are the one's that make it possible for me to play for free. From my perspective, spend away. The more, the better.

Last edited:

Farfle the smelly

Ha Ha. Yea. Good one. These forums are quite hilarious. Most don't appear to use them to as a basis for discussion. It's more like a basis for the next pithy SLAM.

Hang on a minute and you will see someone post something like, "duh...that the way the game is and I personally love it, quit trying to change it".

Look at it this way instead. You have a bunch of super smart brainiacs playing this game, who happen to love arguing. But, just like philosophers of old, if you can provide a truly solid argument for change, they would agree with you. So consider the pushback just trying to make you a better critical thinker instead, the way I do. ;)

Edit:

And ps. Do YOU work for free? Why do you think Inno would? These arguments against them making money is ludicrous.

AwesomeAadi10

Well I do approach it that way in the game. I only use the pawn shop to fulfill quest line requirements. I've not found much use of the games "pawn" shop other than filling that requirement and much like real life where I don't go to pawn shops as a seller, I only buy expecting to pay way less than street value. If I found a wishing well shrink kit for the about the same as a wishing well, I might take the offer. And in RL the shop owner makes a living off the difference. In the game world it's no advantage to have anything sell in the antiques shop.

Hey, stop slamming on my best friend. I got a black tower for a few thousand in an auction in the AD.

Plain Red Justice

I just funded my ToR from 25 to 57 by paying 0 dollars and 10 minutes of my lifespan. Now I can play the Auction game for as much as I like and it is ALL the fault of Inno! Waaaahhh 10 minutes of my lifespan was gone just like that and I can never take it back ;____;

DeletedUser27301

how about imagine before there even was an AD. you would get a big fat NOTHING for it.

I was super active with this game for two years and then life happened, was too busy to play for a year and a half. Returned last winter. The AD is a wonderful addition and it was really nice being able to sell all the old junk I'd had cluttering up my inventory to be able to get loads of other cool stuff that I'd missed.

Whatever was missed from previous events should be harder to obtain. If it were easy to trade in random junk prizes from GE for pieces from past events, it would defeat the purpose of actually trying to do said event while it's active. Likewise, I think it's just as fair to delay even being able to get the pieces for a year or whatever timeframe it is they have for items from previous events.

And of course if you don't like the higher prices from the rotating six items in AD, you can always bid on something. I've gotten some sweet deals on stuff that usually goes for 120K for a fraction of the price it's listed for in the dailies.

DeletedUser

So to try and stimulate discussion....why Nicholas002 do you like the huge disparity between what the dealer offers vs. what you get in return for giving up your stuff that took many hours to accumulate.
I'm not @Nicholas002 but...the stuff that I (and most people, I suspect) sell in the AD does not take many hours to accumulate. It is the stuff that we get just in the process of playing the game. For example, I sell all the boost bottles that I get from GE, Incidents, events, etc. Takes no extra effort to get them, they just show up. Aside from selling to the AD they are worthless to me. So why should the AD pay me a premium price for them? I am thrilled that I can sell them and get anything in return. And I let the Trade Coins and Gemstones pile up until a Wishing Well shows up for sale. Win/win in my always humble opinion.

And we would all obviously like to get more than what we do, but we don't lose any sleep over it.

Farfle the smelly

I'm not @Nicholas002 but...the stuff that I (and most people, I suspect) sell in the AD does not take many hours to accumulate. It is the stuff that we get just in the process of playing the game. For example, I sell all the boost bottles that I get from GE, Incidents, events, etc. Takes no extra effort to get them, they just show up. Aside from selling to the AD they are worthless to me. So why should the AD pay me a premium price for them? I am thrilled that I can sell them and get anything in return. And I let the Trade Coins and Gemstones pile up until a Wishing Well shows up for sale. Win/win in my always humble opinion.

And we would all obviously like to get more than what we do, but we don't lose any sleep over it.

I could understand selling supply and coin boosts, but do you really sell all your boosts? Admittedly I use my attack boosts to make up for the lack of a attack buildings (no space, frankly). Now I want to jump to EMA and gobble up all your boosts. This most recent event was rather skimpy on attack boosts. :-/

Edit: I *do* have a Zeus, because he’s low footprint. So I’m not relying solely on attack boosts, but still. I would love those boosts of yours and you’re making me really want to age up.

Nicholas002

I could understand selling supply and coin boosts, but do you really sell all your boosts? Admittedly I use my attack boosts to make up for the lack of a attack buildings (no space, frankly). Now I want to jump to EMA and gobble up all your boosts. This most recent event was rather skimpy on attack boosts. :-/

Edit: I *do* have a Zeus, because he’s low footprint. So I’m not relying solely on attack boosts, but still. I would love those boosts of yours and you’re making me really want to age up.
I sell all resource boosts, and all attack boosts except the 20% one. when your military boosts get higher, a 5% boost bottle isn't even noticed.
For example, if your attack boost is 10%, adding a 5% potion increases your attack by 50%.
But if your attack boost is 150%, a 5% potion only increases your attack by 3%.
For those who have been playing a while, and have boosts in the thousands, a 20% boost is a mere drop in the bucket, and probably worth more in
trade coins.