• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Attack % for Defense

DeletedUser34800

So, the attack % for defending troops seems important to city defense (giving your defense some actual damage) and only comes from a few very specific things (Deal Castle or the new Terracotta Army for ex).

So, my question is this: How much is a good amount of attack % for your defense to actually be worth the GB investment, if at all?

I know people who have lvl 72+ CDM or Zeus or CoA. I feel like high level defense GBs could actually make your defense hit hard against armies with these massively leveled GBs, but it would be difficult to keep up with the attack bonuses.

Of course, maybe it's just a giant waste of time because the AI is terrible anyways. But that's why I am asking. Doesn't seem like many, if any, players bother with the defense GBs to begin with.

DeletedUser35712

I myself have only advanced as far as IA, so I really can't tell you from personal experience about defense GB's. However, the general consensus from the players here will tell you that City Defense GB's aren't really that helpful, unless if you get plundered often, and you can't collect on time because of real life issues or whatnot.

In general, the AI is a potato, and adding more attack % to a potato doesn't change the fact that it's a potato.

Collecting on time is a better defense IMO.

BruteForceAttack

"
S.....

I know people who have lvl 72+ CDM or Zeus or CoA. I feel like high level defense GBs could actually make your defense hit hard against armies with these massively leveled GBs, but it would be difficult to keep up with the attack bonuses.

Well...
First things first, the only thing that helps your CITY Defense attack is Deal, St Basil and TA. In other words even you have 100 level zeus/coa/cdm, it will not do anything to your City Defense, however they do help you if you are attacking some other city, or GE or GVG or DQ.

New TA gives both City Attack/Defense and GE/GVG/...attack/Defense, so thats new.

Personally I don't defend my city, just collect on time and be done with it.

DeletedUser34800

I myself have only advanced as far as IA, so I really can't tell you from personal experience about defense GB's. However, the general consensus from the players here will tell you that City Defense GB's aren't really that helpful, unless if you get plundered often, and you can't collect on time because of real life issues or whatnot.

In general, the AI is a potato, and adding more attack % to a potato doesn't change the fact that it's a potato.

Collecting on time is a better defense IMO.

Yeah, I definitely don't get attacked oftern, and very rarely lose when I do. Can't remember the last time I got attacked actually.....

Still, not necessarily my point. I like having a defense because I like to make it a challenge for plunderers to get through. If they do, they have to get extremely lucky to grab anything because I collect on time anyways.

I was just wondering what level for the defense GBs people think would actually make them worth it when fighting.

BruteForceAttack

Yeah, I definitely don't get attacked oftern, and very rarely lose when I do. Can't remember the last time I got attacked actually.....

Still, not necessarily my point. I like having a defense because I like to make it a challenge for plunderers to get through. If they do, they have to get extremely lucky to grab anything because I collect on time anyways.

I was just wondering what level for the defense GBs people think would actually make them worth it when fighting.

maybe have 800-1000% defense :)

DeletedUser34800

"

Well...
First things first, the only thing that helps your CITY Defense attack is Deal, St Basil and TA. In other words even you have 100 level zeus/coa/cdm, it will not do anything to your City Defense, however they do help you if you are attacking some other city, or GE or GVG or DQ.

New TA gives both City Attack/Defense and GE/GVG/...attack/Defense, so thats new.

Personally I don't defend my city, just collect on time and be done with it.

Right, that's what I meant. The defense GBs. They give attack % as well as defense, so I was just curious what people thought a good level for them would be, to actually pose a threat to the attacking army.

I collect on time as well, and even if I didn't oh well. Losing a production or 2 isn't the end all. I just like making it a challenge for plunderers. That way, if they do get through and get lucky to grab something, they worked for it. No 2 spearfighter defense for me. I've got troops an age above mine for defense (progressive era troops when I'm in Industrial).

BruteForceAttack

Right, that's what I meant. The defense GBs. They give attack % as well as defense, so I was just curious what people thought a good level for them would be, to actually pose a threat to the attacking army.

I collect on time as well, and even if I didn't oh well. Losing a production or 2 isn't the end all. I just like making it a challenge for plunderers. That way, if they do get through and get lucky to grab something, they worked for it. No 2 spearfighter defense for me. I've got troops an age above mine for defense (progressive era troops when I'm in Industrial).

It is good that you look at it that way, but how much space/fps you are spending on just to see ppl not able to get thru your defense. Would you be able to grow faster, if you invested that space for something else. Anyway you collect on time most of the time right?

DeletedUser34800

I have beaten ppl a wile ago with 500+ defense. It depends on age/army units. But generally speaking, in FOE, attacker always have major advantage over defender.

That's a lot of defense. And you still won? Huh. Did they have any attack bonus as well while defending? Would it even make a difference if they did?

A SBC and DC leveled past 10 (not sure what lvl it would be) to the point of each granting 45% bonus, only puts them equal to the 3 offense GBs at lvl 10. Maybe if they got to the level where they both offered 75% bonus? An investment to be sure, but 150% attack for your defense seems good.

DeletedUser34800

It is good that you look at it that way, but how much space/fps you are spending on just to see ppl not able to get thru your defense. Would you be able to grow faster, if you invested that space for something else. Anyway you collect on time most of the time right?

Yeah, it's definitely an investment. I am currently working on my Arc, and topping off a couple GBs to lvl 10 that I can, but after the important GBs are at a good level, I want to invest in my defense ones. Well, if it's worth it. If it makes a difference.

Being the first person with a lvl 80 DC and SBC also seems like a nice achievement, if not a crazy and ridiculous one.

BruteForceAttack

Yeah, it's definitely an investment. I am currently working on my Arc, and topping off a couple GBs to lvl 10 that I can, but after the important GBs are at a good level, I want to invest in my defense ones. Well, if it's worth it. If it makes a difference.

Being the first person with a lvl 80 DC and SBC also seems like a nice achievement, if not a crazy and ridiculous one.

BTW do you do GVG? Do you plunder hood?

DeletedUser34800

Nope. I'm an Aid all type player. I aid everyone in my neighborhood every day. I don't plunder anyone, mainly because I'm too lazy and don't feel like it. Easier to aid. I'm also also always top 10 in the neighborhood, and I always invite my fellow top 15 to my friends list (I remove inactive players for space).

I don't have many problems with being attacked, but I am also only in the Industrial Age. I've heard the fighting gets worse at the higher ages.

I don't currently GvG, but I want to. It isn't available on mobile, but I should be able to play it on my laptop soon. I have never done anything GvG related, does defense help there or something?

DeletedUser29726

the first bit of boost for a stat matters the most. when people have levelled terracottas to 70 and therefore defenders incidentally have 50% attack boost that'll be a fairly big difference in pain inflicted. Might be enough to defeat an attacker if you're also a watchfire stacker. taking that to 100% with a levelled deal castle or st basil's would still be significant. 150% with both probably not so much. "Worth it" is another issue entirely - i wouldn't do anything beyond terracotta myself.

DeletedUser35041

Great Buildings aren't the only thing that raises defense, there are other buildings that do the same: The watchfire and ritual flame add 4% and 8%, respectively, to your defending army's stats.

DeletedUser34800

the first bit of boost for a stat matters the most. when people have levelled terracottas to 70 and therefore defenders incidentally have 50% attack boost that'll be a fairly big difference in pain inflicted. Might be enough to defeat an attacker if you're also a watchfire stacker. taking that to 100% with a levelled deal castle or st basil's would still be significant. 150% with both probably not so much. "Worth it" is another issue entirely - i wouldn't do anything beyond terracotta myself.

Yeah, 150% from DC and SBC combined definitely seems like it's a long shot. According to the wiki, SBC at lvl 18 offers 34%. It gives 30% from 1-10 then .5% for every level after. So getting it to 75% bonus would be an additional 45% or 90 added levels after 10.

Obviously not gonna happen. But that doesn't mean that a high level SBC or DC is useless. It still gives a bunch of % to attack for your defense.

What % of attack is a good amount for your defense though? Making them actually able to deal damage? That's what I am trying to figure out.

BruteForceAttack

Yeah, 150% from DC and SBC combined definitely seems like it's a long shot. According to the wiki, SBC at lvl 18 offers 34%. It gives 30% from 1-10 then .5% for every level after. So getting it to 75% bonus would be an additional 45% or 90 added levels after 10.

Obviously not gonna happen. But that doesn't mean that a high level SBC or DC is useless. It still gives a bunch of % to attack for your defense.

What % of attack is a good amount for your defense though? Making them actually able to deal damage? That's what I am trying to figure out.

With Arc, leveling any gbs is not a stretch. You just need a good setup.

Have a guy in my guild with

71- cdm, zeus, coa
34-dc
21-TA
19-sbc
17- AM

DeletedUser29726

Terracotta Army at 70 = 50%
Saint Basil's at 50 = 50%
Deal Castle at 50 = 50%

that's the 150% i referred to as an approximate 'maximum' to the attack for your defending army. What i was trying to say though is the way boost works the more you get the more you need to have the next impact of the same size. So given that you're going to do the terracotta anyways for the while attacking portion, that will be the biggest difference maker. Adding in one of the other two will still be significant. Doing all 3 you won't really notice. So I'm suggesting 50-100% will be about 'optimum' for the effort - if the effort is worth doing at all to you.

DeletedUser34800

Terracotta Army at 70 = 50%
Saint Basil's at 50 = 50%
Deal Castle at 50 = 50%

that's the 150% i referred to as an approximate 'maximum' to the attack for your defending army. What i was trying to say though is the way boost works the more you get the more you need to have the next impact of the same size. So given that you're going to do the terracotta anyways for the while attacking portion, that will be the biggest difference maker. Adding in one of the other two will still be significant. Doing all 3 you won't really notice. So I'm suggesting 50-100% will be about 'optimum' for the effort - if the effort is worth doing at all to you.

Okay, that definitely makes sense. I see your point on the % gains and how it's a continually larger investment for a small stat gain.

I like your idea there though. A lvl 70 TA and a lvl 50 SBC and DC would give a solid 150% bonus to attack and defense for defenders. It's definitely an investment, but that seems like it could help make defense less terrible. Plus, the addition of lots of RFs and WFs could make a nice defense.

Of course, attackers still have 4 offense GBs (including TA), so they're still ahead of defenders.

DeletedUser26965

maybe have 800-1000% defense :)
index.php

(c/o[Feedback] - Oceanic Future Part 6)

DeletedUser31592

Great Buildings aren't the only thing that raises defense, there are other buildings that do the same: The watchfire and ritual flame add 4% and 8%, respectively, to your defending army's stats.
They don't add to the defensive army's attack though, which was the question. They only apply to the defensive army's defense.