• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Attack % for Defense

DeletedUser31882

Of course, maybe it's just a giant waste of time because the AI is terrible anyways. But that's why I am asking. Doesn't seem like many, if any, players bother with the defense GBs to begin with.

I fall into the camp that Basil & Deal are giant wastes of time and resources. The secondary benefits are laughable, the support pool appears to not be good enough for GvG balancing and the dedicated raider will be pumping their ATK% through the roof. It is kinda nice that Terra Army has both, but I'm sure most people who build it are after the ATK% first and view the DEF% as an okay secondary benefit.

Being the first person with a lvl 80 DC and SBC also seems like a nice achievement, if not a crazy and ridiculous one.

I always assume @LacLongQuan has everyone beat on GBs. Regardless of 'first person' achievements, if your passion for FoE makes you want to be that crazy and ridiculous... I fully support it as long as you are having fun.

Otherwise, I'm with @BruteForceAttack on this one. I'd rather use the space for Terrace farms and other FP producing buildings instead of investing in something that 'might' stop a dedicated raider from 'maybe' stealing from one of them. FP producers give me definitive growth, Defense atk% is a specialized stat that might mitigate my FP lose. I'd rather just out FP produce the potential losses.

Now, If I hit a period in FoE where I am unable to collect on time and/or I am getting 3+ Terrace farms plundered a day, I'm not able to make up the lose in plundering my hood AND I have no intention of getting back on a 'collecting on time' schedule, then I'll consider building/investing in the defensive GBs. Then again, that scenario means I wouldn't be putting in the time to see if the extra ATK% going to my defense units was being effective...

So. Yeah. Do what floats your boat and melts your butter.

DeletedUser34800

@Titris Thrawns Thank you for the response. I definitely appreciate the info.

I am definitely leaning towards the SBC and DC potentially being a waste of space and FPs. I've been watching how often I actually get attacked for awhile now, and the last time that happened was 1.5 month ago. Of course, I am in the Industrial Age, always top 10 in my hood, try to invite all the top 15 players (excluding me) to my friends list AND I have Modern Era troops defending me (in the Industrial Age).

So, I think that the GBs are not worth it in my current state, but I am still not sure about later in the game. I don't have any experience there. Perhaps I am just over estimating how much people plunder in the higher ages? I've heard it's a lot.

Personally, I don't care about the small loss of whatever a plunderer gets. At most, a goods building. Most likely coins or supplies. I collect all my special buildings on time, so no FPs stolen (unless they get really really lucky I suppose). I like watching them lose against my defense the most hahaha.

I do however, want to have a solid defense with a solid attack % for later ages, so I think I will work on the GBs. Later. Much later.

DeletedUser35041

I am in the Industrial Age, always top 10 in my hood, try to invite all the top 15 players (excluding me) to my friends list AND I have Modern Era troops defending me (in the Industrial Age).

How did you get the troops ahead of your age? I would love some Colonial Age troops as I am still in LMA.

DeletedUser31882

How did you get the troops ahead of your age? I would love some Colonial Age troops as I am still in LMA.

I believe you can snag advanced era troops through the story questline. Just requires going forward on the C-map, or so I hear. I have yet to do it myself, but given a month or two, I may finally test it first hand.

DeletedUser35041

I believe you can snag advanced era troops through the story questline. Just requires going forward on the C-map, or so I hear. I have yet to do it myself, but given a month or two, I may finally test it first hand.
Well, never mind then. For some reason I felt like staying in LMA, but the next story quest is "research a technology that unlocks a cultural building" and I've already completed all the technologies in the LMA research tree.
I'm not entirely sure why. My logic was something along the lines of "it will be a lot easier to complete the 'donate X goods from your age to the guild treasury' quests" but in hindsight that logic was kind of dumb. I was just spending all my FPs on upgrading my Castel del Monte. I will now start on researching technologies again.

Thanks for the help! :)

DeletedUser31882

Well, never mind then. For some reason I felt like staying in LMA, but the next story quest is "research a technology that unlocks a cultural building" and I've already completed all the technologies in the LMA research tree.
I'm not entirely sure why. My logic was something along the lines of "it will be a lot easier to complete the 'donate X goods from your age to the guild treasury' quests" but in hindsight that logic was kind of dumb. I was just spending all my FPs on upgrading my Castel del Monte. I will now start on researching technologies again.

Thanks for the help! :)

Drat, That means I probably just locked myself out of doing the technique for my stay in LMA... Oh well. I'm not the most optimal camper anyways.

DeletedUser29726

@Titris Thrawns Thank you for the response. I definitely appreciate the info.

I am definitely leaning towards the SBC and DC potentially being a waste of space and FPs. I've been watching how often I actually get attacked for awhile now, and the last time that happened was 1.5 month ago. Of course, I am in the Industrial Age, always top 10 in my hood, try to invite all the top 15 players (excluding me) to my friends list AND I have Modern Era troops defending me (in the Industrial Age).

So, I think that the GBs are not worth it in my current state, but I am still not sure about later in the game. I don't have any experience there. Perhaps I am just over estimating how much people plunder in the higher ages? I've heard it's a lot.

Personally, I don't care about the small loss of whatever a plunderer gets. At most, a goods building. Most likely coins or supplies. I collect all my special buildings on time, so no FPs stolen (unless they get really really lucky I suppose). I like watching them lose against my defense the most hahaha.

I do however, want to have a solid defense with a solid attack % for later ages, so I think I will work on the GBs. Later. Much later.

My experience is plundering peaks around contemporary era (unless you're camping it). At that point research costs have gone way up, and people often haven't adapted to being able to meet them with their own output. Plundering can be a big surge.

By the time you get to the top age hoods plundering's almost gone entirely again as the reward/effort is much lower than questing and arc donating - and it's kinda inevitable once you're at the end of tech that that's what you're going to do because what else is next. Main reason I do still plunder is because Voyager is a nice way to get specific age goods that are hard to trade for. Hitting 40 people and checking back in on them many times a day til i can get a Palace or something is a lot of work.

DeletedUser34800

@Titris Thrawns and @Lightningtow

Here's the link to the wiki:
http://forgeofempires.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Quests

It lists all the quests for the story, what you need to do and what rewards you get. It's incredibly useful for planning ahead.

Basically, you get the advanced troops from the story line quests as rewards, but you have to progress through the quests via tech research, C-map acquisition, or other random small things.

It's a lot of help to have advanced troops defending your city, and it's well worth the minor hassle in my opinion. I actually left the Colonial Age specifically to advance enough to grab the troops. So now I get to have Modern Era troops in the Industrial Age, and if I can push through, I may even be able to get Post Modern Era troops as well.

It's pretty simple to do, you just have to plan a bit to make sure you get it done properly. Basically, don't ever tech up unless you are requested to by the quests, and I fight through the C-map in advance, before starting the quests, just to make sure I have that all done.

RazorbackPirate

To me, the lack of Attack bonus on defending troops is the biggest reason why an attacker can get through a 500% defense bonus. It might take a lot of hits to defeat the defending army, but without the ability to inflict much damage on the attackers, the attackers can last long enough to do it.

DeletedUser34800

Exactly why I was thinking about these GBs in the first place. I don't like the fact that the AI is terrible or that the GBs are geared towards the attacker. It's annoying, but it's part of the game. Not like I can go and make my own GB right? Hahaha.

Still, I would like my troops to actually be able deal some damage and put up a good fight. If someone is going to break through, I want them to work for it. Not that they will get anything anyways hahahaha.

It's going to be a long term project, so I was hoping for some nice insight from some experienced players. I've gotten some good responses here, and I appreciate that.

I have time to think about it, and I am still conflicted. I want my troops to kick some ass while defending, but I don't know if the investment is going to matter. The AI is still bad, no matter what the attack %.

RazorbackPirate

Exactly why I was thinking about these GBs in the first place. I don't like the fact that the AI is terrible or that the GBs are geared towards the attacker. It's annoying, but it's part of the game. Not like I can go and make my own GB right? Hahaha.

Still, I would like my troops to actually be able deal some damage and put up a good fight. If someone is going to break through, I want them to work for it. Not that they will get anything anyways hahahaha.

It's going to be a long term project, so I was hoping for some nice insight from some experienced players. I've gotten some good responses here, and I appreciate that.

I have time to think about it, and I am still conflicted. I want my troops to kick some ass while defending, but I don't know if the investment is going to matter. The AI is still bad, no matter what the attack %.

I came to the same conclusion as many others. I can't justify the space needed to build them or the FPs needed to level them.

It would be fun to have a defending army that could inflict so much damage on the attacker that they surrender and never try again. But compared to the actual risk of loss, and everything else that can be built on that space or done with those FPs, I can't justify it. The lost opportunity cost is far greater and much more impactful over the long term than losing a few FPs from my Cherry Garden every few months.

I'd rather open up the spigot, than fix the small leak in the bucket.

DeletedUser31882

Not like I can go and make my own GB right? Hahaha.
Hahaha!... Wait a tic...

That sounds kind of fun.

Granted, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone would default to making ATK%/FP GBs. Would require a lot of balancing on the cost of leveling based on what bonuses were chosen. *shrugs*

DeletedUser34800

That's right. Forgot the AO worked on defense against same age troops.

Won't matter much for me though. I am using Modern Era troops to defend my Industrial Age city. So, no AO for me or the attacker.