• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Auction House needs a higher bid increment

zlefin

It's stupid having an increment of 1, so people can just go back and forth outbidding each other by 1. It makes the auction less about actual auctioning and more about favoring someone being obsessively on at the last minute so they can just one bid.

I've seen more than enough price is right to know the scourge of 1 bidding and how it makes things less interesting.

wolfhoundtoo

Would it make much of a difference if it was 50 or even 500? You'd have to get the minimum increment to be rather high to make last minute bidding not worth it for those on. Bid very high (but not more than you want to spend) and if it's expensive enough someone might not be willing to pay even 1 more coin. =

Ironrooster

I usually bump by 1000 (sometimes more) when I'm bidding at the last minute.

Usually though I can't wait around for the end so I just stick in a first bid that I think is high enough and I'm happy to pay if I win.

P C C

Same here then if I have some who bids me up I will generally do 500-1k, more if they continue, but I don't see the issue with increments of 1. To be honest if you were to change the increments, you would have to make it so the increment grew as the bids go higher.
Most auctions I'm familiar with have minimum bid increments that increase with the current bid and I'd prefer that approach. But at least the time out between items means that two players in FoE raising each other interminably by minimal amounts aren't delaying things for everyone else, unlike in a live auction trying to get through a fixed set of lots.

planetofthehumans2

I go up by random small increments until the person I'm bidding against either gets tired of trying to bid against me, or they way overpay for the item
Me too, when they use a predictable amount like 1 or the next decimal point, I can predict and already have a higher amount in the bar before they bid again. By being random, it takes them more time to make a higher number, which has higher likely to add an extra 0 on accident.