• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Changelog 1.59- Feedback

• Thread starter DeletedUser1084
  • Start date

Czari

I've now fought two battles with the semi-auto attack and I extremely dislike it!!!! There are times with my ranged units I want to get as far away as possible from my target. With the former method, if I could not hit my target from my chosen distance, I skipped that turn and waited to see if my target moved closer, etc. I read in the Changelog that we could still play the former way if we chose, but each time I positioned my ranged unit and clicked to see if I could hit it or just stay put, the game "took over" and moved my unit close enough to hit the target but ended up getting my unit killed in return by being too close - a distance I would never have placed my unit on my own.

Is there some option to choose to go back to the former method?

DeletedUser9732

Czari - You don't need to click the target to see if you can hit it, just mouse over your unit and see if the hex the target is on is highlighted.

DeletedUser17462

I haven't tried it on the browser, but I don't like it on mobile

DeletedUser

The new Direct Attack feature is a HORRIBLE IDEA and needs to be either REMOVED or there needs to be a way to TURN IT OFF!
Is there a way to turn it off? I have not looked yet. I'm pretty much flaming here.
There is already an Auto Battle feature in the game and those who want to let the AI play for them are free to use it.
The Direct Attack takes battle control out of one's hands.
This is NOT OK!
I know, of course, that the feature only activates if you click but checking range while in battle is the most likely time for an accidental click to happen and now those accidental clicks have real and serious consequences that can (and already have) caused damage. Having a unit move OUT OF COVER to take a shot when the strategically better choice is to stay in cover and OUT OF RANGE can mean the difference between victory and defeat. The Direct Attack feature can (and has) created this result.
So, I repeat: either remove this feature or provide an opt out option for it.

DeletedUser19236

So far the direct attack feature is a neat feature. You can see where it will go prior to you clicking and make sure that is the spot you want and if its not then click where you want to go then the sword and wallah victory. I have noticed with this update my world has been running a good bit slower than normal but this has been normal for every update so I am hoping in a few days it will get back up to speed. The other fixes really haven't noticed them too much other than the slowness alright ttyl

Poncho

DeletedUser9732

@Cedalion - Accidental clicks were already a risk for moving out of cover and into range, the only difference now is that they can include attacking. The direct attack hasn't created any new risk really, just one more hex that an itchy trigger finger can cause problems on. Why are you clicking on units you don't want to attack?

As to the feature itself, I've found it mildly useful. I've been using it at the end of battles when there's no risk to save a few clicks. For most of the fight though, if I'm fighting manually, I want to direct exactly what hex to send my troops to so I don't take any unnecessary damage.

Czari

The new Direct Attack feature is a HORRIBLE IDEA and needs to be either REMOVED or there needs to be a way to TURN IT OFF! <snip>So, I repeat: either remove this feature or provide an opt out option for it.

From Changelog 1.57: "Direct attack - from now on you can attack units semi-automatically, by just clicking them. If the enemy unit you have chosen can be reached (represented by red sword icon), your current unit will move to the best available position and attack the enemy: <Screen Shot>While hovering over an attackable enemy unit, you will see a path that your current unit will take after you have clicked it. After reaching the new position your unit will fire. You can of course also do it in the oldschool way: first move your unit to the desired position and then attack." (Emphasis mine)

From Changelog 1.59: Direct attack - originally announced in 1.57 changelog, but as it turned out, the feature needed some additional work, so we delayed it in order to provide better functionality. From now on you can attack units semi-automatically, by just clicking them. If the enemy unit you have chosen can be reached (represented by red sword icon), your current unit will move to an available position and attack the enemy. (Emphasis mine)

No mention of being able to use "old school." I don't want my unit to move "to an available position" - I want it to move where "I" want it, which has been taken out of our hands. PLEASE at least put in an option to turn this "Improvement" off.

- - - Updated - - -

Czari - You don't need to click the target to see if you can hit it, just mouse over your unit and see if the hex the target is on is highlighted.
I've done that and, as I mentioned in the above post, if the target can be hit the system takes over and places my unit. The first time that happened I thought gremlins had taken over my PC. :eek:

DeletedUser9732

I've done that and, as I mentioned in the above post, if the target can be hit the system takes over and places my unit. The first time that happened I thought gremlins had taken over my PC. :eek:

Perhaps you are confused as to what mousing over is? You only need to hover, not click, and you can see the range. If you click, your unit will move/attack if able. No unit will move without a click.

And you can definitely do things 'old school', click once to move, and then on the unit to attack. Note that if you are still out of range when you move, but click on a unit to attack anyway, if you have enough movement to get in range the direct attack will move your unit for you.

Czari

Perhaps you are confused as to what mousing over is? You only need to hover, not click, and you can see the range. If you click, your unit will move/attack if able. No unit will move without a click.

And you can definitely do things 'old school', click once to move, and then on the unit to attack. Note that if you are still out of range when you move, but click on a unit to attack anyway, if you have enough movement to get in range the direct attack will move your unit for you.

Trust me, I have no confusion whatsoever about what "mousing over" is. An example from today: I moved my Mounted Archer onto a rock for the defense boost; moused over/hovered over the target and saw the red arrow which ostensibly means I can attack from that position; I clicked on the target, which I could supposedly hit from the rock, but instead the system moved my archer practically under the target's nose. That is what I meant above when I said "...if the target can be hit the system takes over and places my unit." I've been fighting lately mainly with mounted archers, the whole purpose of which is to stay farther away from the target. I haven't noticed the same thing happening with soldiers so maybe it's a glitch with horses and/or archers. I'm going to experiment later with regular archers and see if the same thing happens.

DeletedUser

It seems the main trouble with this new Direct Attack system is that it is FORCING a semi-automatic battle feature on players who want nothing whatsoever to do with ANY automatic system. This is effectively INNO forcing players to play a certain way instead of in the player's own style. NO ONE likes having CHOICE taken from them.
One of the main attractions of this game is the sense of control it provides over one's own destiny. This feature cuts deep into the heart of that sense of self-determination.
Even the RED ARROW/SWORD (whatever) is an unwelcome distraction during battle. I DO NOT WANT ANYONE ELSE'S SUGGESTIONS DURING BATTLE. I don't want to enter into a debate with another mindset during battle. And mostly I DO NOT WANT THERE TO BE EVEN THE REMOTEST POSSIBILITY THAT CONTROL OF MY UNITS MIGHT BE TAKEN FROM ME.
Give us back our autonomy by providing an OFF BUTTON for this feature.

DeletedUser9732

An example from today: I moved my Mounted Archer onto a rock for the defense boost; moused over/hovered over the target and saw the red arrow which ostensibly means I can attack from that position; I clicked on the target, which I could supposedly hit from the rock, but instead the system moved my archer practically under the target's nose. That is what I meant above when I said

I finally figured out your confusion - the red arrow/sword over the target doesn't necessarily mean you can attack from your current position, it means you can attack from a position you can get to that turn. Since you must still have been actually out of range, it moved you when you clicked.

If you get a red arrow by your unit when you mouse over the target, that means you will also move when attacking. No arrow by you means you can just attack, and clicking won't also move you.