• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Community Relations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser26120

Some users have voiced concerns lately and have complained that there's no obvious avenue for discussion. The FoE forums are for FoE but I think we can open a thread here in Tavern to discuss any concerns with community relations.

All of us are new mods and we're still learning what we should and shouldn't enforce. If you haven't read the rules before, they are actually quite clear what is and isn't allowed on the forums:

https://forum.us.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/offical-forum-rules.11881/

Specifically: Personal insults are not allowed and spam/off-topic content will be deleted. Those are the 2 rules I've been trying to enforce lately.

I'd like to say part of the problem stems from the fact that enforcement was extremely lax in the past and now it's not. Thoughts?

DeletedUser27889

Thank you Dursland for giving us this opportunity to voice some concerns about the new forum.

The only time I felt moderation was lax was in the space between jaelis retirement and the influx of the new moderators, but others or even you may disagree.

There seems to be about 10-11 mods and some rules seem to have been altered. Debate topics closed before the 10 page limit, bug reports, proposals closed instead of merged or moved. Overall it seems discussion is being 'policed' in a way that doesn't foster the same sense of community or environment that were once here. Posts have been edited, removed, and threads closed when it doesn't seem rules have been broken.

I understanding going O/T can warrant thread closure, but I just think it would be better to post 'stay on topic' than close it for anyone else who wanted to actually talk about the topic.

There is also the issue many have taken with one mod who the community does not feel should be a mod based on their history. If that person made it into the mod position, and we know nothing about these other ones apart from you, what does that mean about who they are? I know we cannot mention any names and I hope no one does so we don't ruin the opportunity dursland's given us to voice our concerns.

I understand it's a big change for the community after having jaelis so long and for you as well stepping up. The larger change it seems is having so many mods that seems as though they all work differently or follow a different set of rules. I know snowbell is now our lead mod but is torn with other duties, I don't see this working out unless they make 1 more present mod lead mod (you, hopefully) to bring some direction to the current system and hopefully taper down on the amount of mods currently policing the forum.

DeletedUser

I logged in today and saw that a few more of my posts were deleted and now they are trying to censor my profile. The forums have become an embarrassment for Innogames with the current group of moderators. They are very unprofessional, rude and lacking the skills and qualifications for the role. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt but they seem to empower themselves more daily and justify what they call is a new direction. I don't remember it being that bad or reading of complaints in the past.
So with that said, I am done. I know I am only one person with insight to a particular playstyle. Soon all the members will only have answers and advice to read for copying how the moderators play the game.
The forums used to be a fun place I enjoyed visiting, making friends, getting play style tips and having a few laughs. The new direction seems to be a generic wiki site as edited by a group of inexperienced moderators with the belief they know what is in our best interest.
If part of the strategy is to turn away and silence long term players and feedback you are doing a great job!

plinker2

Now, it's time you pull up a seat and listen. I've been quiet and read all of this "mod bashing", so here goes my 2 cents. I rarely try to bother anyone or edit or remove any post unless it is really bad and breaking the rules. Secondly, if I (we) receive a report on another player, it has to be investigated, action (or no action) taken and a report filled out for the ones we answer to on why we did or did not do anything. For example I received a report on someone that had a baby for the avatar. I looked at the report, did my investigation and dismissed the report outright. This is NOT a power trip or "throwing darts at the dart board". We have to do things by the forum rules and what extra rules that only we have to follow. 99% of the things I act, or not, upon is in response to YOU or your fellow players making a report on someone. As Dursland has advised many times, read the forum rules. If you have, you may want to read them again. I am not trying to make any sort of excuse or apology for what I do. I am just trying to give you some insight as to what we do and why. You must remember, there are teens on these boards and some of them do not have the greatest self-esteem in the world. So be adults, or at least try. Show some basic manners and common sense, and try to keep your tempers in check. And for goodness sakes, have fun and enjoy the game and forums without breaking some simple rules. Nuff said.

plinker2

By the way, I have been a Mod on websites since 2006. U.S. and U.K. websites both. I have also been ADM. on a couple, so I am not a rookie. Now, play, chat and have fun! (and get some decafe) lol.

DeletedUser

The only time I felt moderation was lax was in the space between jaelis retirement and the influx of the new moderators, but others or even you may disagree.
I would agree with this, but I would go one step further and say that even in that period there were few problems on the Forum. Of course, we have a select few that like to complain about anything and everything. And we have the habitual Inno bashers. (Incidentally, why are those posts never deleted or the players banned? Just asking. I do know that slamming Inno is specifically forbidden in the rules.) Mostly, however, there has been (at least for the last several months) a core group of Forum posters who try to help out when we can, but are ready to use our snarkiness when it is called for. Now, we feel like we have to censor ourselves before we even think about posting anything other than a straight line answer to a question. That is not conducive to a free and open Forum. Except in cases of blatant insults, or completely off topic posts, moderators are best served by having a light hand on the controls. This isn't some high-powered think tank, where we have to be toeing the line to get things done. We come here for the same reason we play the game itself...to have fun, relax, take our minds off this crazy world we live in. It's no fun to have teacher waiting to slap our wrists, or shut down our fun, just because artificial guidelines aren't being strictly followed.

And, incidentally, I have contacted 2 Community Managers about the issue many on the Forum have with who becomes a moderator. I haven't heard anything from them, and I don't know if I will, but just wanted to be upfront about that.

DeletedUser26154

Well, I asked Luci if he had Moderator Training ever in his life, and he said no.
So I gave him some stuff to read that might help him out.
I'm going to help Luci do his job.
People can only do, what they know how to do.

It really has nothing to do with power.
These guys gotta clean stuff up.
And better safe than sorry in these cases.
If things get wiped, there's a reason.

I don't like having my writing go bye-bye.
But if I wanted something saved, I'd use a different avenue.
Our Moderators gotta do, what they gotta do.
Modding ain't the giggle you'd think it is.

Inno Forum Moderator means Do free work.
They get... Diamonds for doing this.
In other words, they don't get squat.
I became, what I became, for a very specific reason.

sss5656.jpg

I don't like it when people dump all over Panacea's feedback threads.

DeletedUser27889

For example I received a report on someone that had a baby for the avatar.
Being as snake had a child in his avatar and now no longer seems to be a member I guess we can all assume you're talking about snake, but even if you're not:

["quote=forum rules]The Forge of Empires Team will act with discretion in all situations. This is to maintain the privacy that stands between Moderators and Players, and we expect that privacy to be upheld by players also. This applies to Forum Moderation as well as IG Moderation.[/quote]

Here's what a mod posted on my public profile yesterday:

Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 6.20.55 PM.png

Here's you publicly addressing a member for an infraction:
Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 6.17.00 PM.png

Sweet heart, I think my chair is pulled in close enough, thanks. There is no rule posted about 'babies' in avatars. You were investigating a rule that does not exist and by not being discrete you have broken the rules. It is frustrating when it seems mods are enforcing or introducing new rules while breaking what had been the most sacredly held rule of not posting conversations with the mods or speaking of conversations with the mods. Now the mods are just making the conversations public.

Here's peewee getting called out in public for a rule THAT DOES NOT EXIST.
Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 6.29.20 PM.png

I understand Dursland is having an issue being able to message members, I know that because he posted it publicly or else I wouldn't be allowed to repeat it. You may be having the same issue, a forum bug doesn't give you carte blanche to break the rules. Having a 'report' button does nothing when the people the members would be reporting for breaking the rules are the ones being trusted with enforcing them.
This is NOT a power trip
It's really hard to see that when one of your first acts as mod was setting your profile to this:
Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 6.17.30 PM.png

Dursland has been a member of this community, he knows us and the game and we respect him as a fellow member who participates. Durs should have been made our mod under snowbelle and panacea. Everyone would have had more patience and not left if it had just been Dursland. Not strangers who don't seem to care about the community. There's an expression 'too many cooks in the kitchen' that applies well here.

How did snake end up in a 'guest' account anyway with his years of participation and 'well known' stats gone?

plinker2

As we were taught in the Dept. of Public Safety, Be firm, fair and consistant. I try to be as much as I can. I don't even being held under a microscope by each and every one of you. What I can't seem to get over is that all of you talk about helping new players, and all you want to do is otherwise.

DeletedUser21322

If I replied I'd no doubt be permabanned, but okay not that bad but still best to not say anything and see what comes down the road, nothing personal though.

If you feel your post will be banable, you can 1. go to the thread I have started or 2. message me personally, I want the truth regardless of how rough you need to make it.

DeletedUser27889

What I can't seem to get over is that all of you talk about helping new players, and all you want to do is otherwise.
I have a year of posts on this forum and along with many other members who are not happy with how this is going, ranked as receiving the most likes. Likes on here isn't so much 'yay you FB pic is cute' But 'thank you for helping' I can post dozens and dozens of questions answered by me, so can every person posting in this thread with the only exception being you.

plinker2

I was trying to be discreet and just give an example. It seems that in your zeal, you let "the cat out of the bag".

DeletedUser27889

Apologies for stating the name. In the future though it may be best not to describe a well known members distinctive avatar that has appeared next to his name on hundreds of posts for years. Especially describing it in a post directly under his post where he complains that his profile has been altered. Then confirming it later on in the thread. If a certain mod wishes to be discrete that is, not naming names or anything ;)

plinker2

Just trying to give an example of the reports we have to handle. They go from the serious to the outright silly. We have to check every one of them out, settle it and give a report. So, somtimes it gets silly, even for a mod. And, your point is well taken!

DeletedUser28670

I'll make it clear. I've tried to be polite after that one time I posted in the "Forum Direction" thread voicing what I thought were legitimate concerns. That thread has been subsequently closed, by the way, just because of my post.

Firstly, it seems that Snakes11s's account has changed into a Guest Account. Interesting. Now what exactly happened to Snakes11s's account? A Well Known member seems to have been changed to a guest overnight and his profile page censored. Period. I'm not going to even discuss anything else, can a mod please clarify just
WHAT HAPPENED TO SNAKES11s ACCOUNT? Did he delete his own account? Unlikely, from his post above.

-Edit- I have been told that snakes deleted his own account.

Last edited by a moderator:

plinker2

I am not sure, but it is not anything underhanded. We (mods) cannot alter or delete or change an account.

Status
Not open for further replies.