• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Does City Defense Really Matter Anymore?

DeletedUser34787

City defense has never mattered to me - it's a waste of space that could be used for FP- or attack-boosting buildings, and even more so with things like the Sentinel Posts - but I agree with Agent327 in that I'm now getting just over 700FPs/day, a lot of my GBs are at or approaching 80, and at some point I'll have to find something to do with them - so I'll probably build an SBC and maybe even a Deal just to have somewhere to dump the FPs for a while once my fighting GBs hit 100.

Mustapha00

I've read threads on this subject for- quite literally- years at this point.

I can recall two individuals claiming that their defensive boost is such that attackers cannot defeat them, even if they use 1+7.

I cannot begin to recall the number of posters who say that their defense doesn't matter one whit to their attackers.

Now I won't go so far as to way only those two individuals have defensive schemes high enough to actually matter. There are almost certainly others, though who knows just how many, that do not post their experiences here because this isn't an issue that affects them. And I'll also readily concede that the people whose defense does not matter post far, far more often because it is a matter of importance to them. In this case, it is with the majority that my sympathies lie.

Simply put, an 800% OFF boost should not be able to defeat an 1100% DEF boost with utter impunity.

Witold17

It is very rare that a defending army can win, so it does not make sense to invest in defending. It looks like the war game was rigged against the defending side on purpose. The developers should put some minimum of intelligence into the defending army. The problem sis that the defending army is shooting at the assassins first, and any player, even the silliest one, knows to do the opposite. I have raised it several time - to no effect.

generalwoo

It matters to me. I have five neighbors hitting the hood this week, and I can tell because of their ratio of points to fights on the PvP tower. While my defense isn't sky-high, it's enough to keep them out of my city or at least discourage them from attacking. They have little or no attack boost.

planetofthehumans2

There's a rumor mill going on not on beta or anything that Inno is developing a new PVP system with players from different servers (?) in the same hood competing for prizes thunderdome style. NOT CONFIRMED!

Right after I delete my deals castle too.... I still don't want to build the summer event prize.

I invested in city defense when I began playing because I didn't know any better and it mattered to me. As I have continued playing and had a richer gaming experience I have come to understand that city defense doesn't matter to me because, ultimately, it doesn't matter to me if I am attacked or even if I am plundered. I do collect on time and I do have some city defense lurking around in my city until I need the space. However the losses from being plundered in the rare event that it happens, are far less than what I gain daily from plundering.
Really I guess what I am advocating is for everyone to continue instructing others that city defense doesn't matter in the game any longer so I can continue attacking while suffering fewer troop losses and securing more booty for the coffers. And if that means I am greedy then so be it...its a game and plundering is just one element of it, get off the moral high horse because your mortality won't save you.

TotalTrash

I've been a military strategy enthusiast for the last 30 years, and I haven't seen a combat AI this terrible since the late 90's. So, that's the real problem with the defenses, and with combat in general. Fix the AI and a lot of these problems go away.

Plundering is a matter of character!
I'm not a thug in real life, so I'm not a thug online. I would say at least half the players feel the same.
That said, you can make a strong, viable city without any defenses and it can never be looted. Sure, it takes planning, brains and patience, but it's not that hard. I have defenses, but I could store them today and just have 2 spearmen defend, and still would never have to worry about the few thugs in the game.

UP ONLINE

There's always a bit of noise raised up when a new event building offers City Defense. It would seem that City Defense has become out-dated. I know that with regards to plunderers, unless you have dedicated significant resources to building a massive defense, conventional wisdom was to collect on time. Virgo Project was nerfed because those who did bother to build that defense would find it useless. And then Olympic Treasury came out, and I imagine those once impressive, but rare defenses are less practical.

But I'm not sure if it is an outdated element of the game, so I wanted to ask.

If so, is there a way to make city defense more useful or meaningful to game play than what it is now? Perhaps not simply stat increases, but what it does for the defender- or does to the attacker? I would say we let it fade and die a quiet death and resolve ourselves to considering this an attackers game, but if this stat remains something that can be placed on future event buildings and...gulp...GB's...than it seems like we should know why or what use is it giving to the player.

Edit: I suppose there is a situational window I did not consider. For new players it could provide some defense against constant plunderers. It would ultimately be a "beginners-stat" that you would ultimately evolve away from, so it does still have practical use in that it can at least reduce attacks on ones city. The worth, as always, is subjective.
for me Defence is a joke Just because I don't have a life i'm always up to collect my goods or use a timer

Lady Gato

Ok - I am a Noob at this game and I am not yet to the part of the game where I can plunder or be plundered - so I am reading everything I can so my city can be ready. As I understand it, if a person successfully attacks me, then sometime within the next 24 hours after the attack, he can plunder one of my plunderable buildings. Then there is a 24 hr? cooling off period from the time of collection? or the time he attacked before he can attack me again. If I have city defenders, in my city, they may get hurt, but they will never "die." And people are complaining about this? I played KOC for several years. I had 3 computers online 24/7 with alarms that would sound if I or anyone in my group was attacked. And yes we did have live battles vs getting a video of it after it was all over. One day I my whole city stores were wiped out and those stores were big because I was the bank of our group. I had my army plus several other friends' armies encamped at my city at all times. But there was a bigger, badder group that out-strategized us and we lost. FOE is a city building strategy game that involves warring and combat. If you aren't prepared for that, I heard there is a new Candy Crush game coming out. :p

DeletedUser46970

I have deleted a few posts for going off topic. Please remain on the topic, thanks.

OutlawDon

I have deleted a few posts for going off topic. Please remain on the topic, thanks.
For me, repairing Army damage is my biggest expense, so I want to avoid it. If I run into anyone with a decent defense, I make a note to avoid fighting that person in future. For me, that's how city defense works -- as a deterrent.

DeletedUser32973

If we discount ego, having a dedicated defense is a waste of space compared to what could fill it. If you think it's fun to repel an attacker, more power to ya, but it makes your city weaker than what it could be. It doesn't really matter how much defense Inno tempts players with, a city that focuses on defense will almost always have less net production than one that doesn't, all things being equal.

Emberguard

It doesn't really matter how much defense Inno tempts players with, a city that focuses on defense will almost always have less net production than one that doesn't, all things being equal.
At the moment this is true. That could change if defence GBs were given FP output (without removing the other bonuses) and / or event buildings with FPs carried city defence army boosts regardless of what else is on there

Plundering is a matter of character!
This is purely your opinion, to which you are certainly entitled, however, a statement such as this reveals more about your character than you probably realize. And to be clear, in this instance, your character is rather questionable. This is a game, and as such the actions of one while playing a game are NOT representative of the nature of the player in real life. For example, simply because someone runs around killing people while playing a game does not mean they are killing people in real life; your assessment reveals a spurious relationship.
I'm not a thug in real life, so I'm not a thug online.
Curious, what is your definition of a "thug"? A word of caution here when name calling; again it is quite character revealing, and not in a positive light. The way a person acts while on-line is, in the overwhelmingly majority of cases, not the way they would act in real life. Keyboard warriors become quiet as church mice when face-to-face with someone truly about this street life.
I would say at least half the players feel the same.
You can't possibly know this to be true, so please, for the sake of what shred of dignity you may have remaining, please do not continue making wildly unfounded remark while trying to make your point.

Look, the reality of city defense, and the importance thereof, comes down to a few simple points. It is a personal choice whether to make it a focus of your gaming experience while playing FoE. There is no ultimate "right" or "wrong" way of choosing and acting upon that choice; it is what it is for you. And, regardless of how loudly you cry about it, plundering is NOT going anywhere according to INNO. Save yourself the stress and stop making being plundered personal; it just isn't if you refuse to allow it to be.

planetofthehumans2

This is purely your opinion, to which you are certainly entitled, however, a statement such as this reveals more about your character than you probably realize.
While I accept attacks and plundering as part of the game, when the forums have active threads gloating about plundering and GB sniping which many people view with disdain and actually ruins the game for others to the point where INNO has to stop pvp for newbies, I cant help but feel the culture is on the vile side. It actually is comparable to gloating about what people have stolen from stores.

The benefits of pvp are extremely questionable. You can make more medals from leveling one gb than you could doing all of the towers combined. You can get hundreds of fights in per day just being in a guild and doing GVG/GE/GBG and much better prizes for those fights.

Agent327

If we discount ego, having a dedicated defense is a waste of space compared to what could fill it. If you think it's fun to repel an attacker, more power to ya, but it makes your city weaker than what it could be. It doesn't really matter how much defense Inno tempts players with, a city that focuses on defense will almost always have less net production than one that doesn't, all things being equal.

Now look at it in another way. A big part from your defense comes from buildings you put in your city anyhow and amongst those buildings are "attack" buildings.. You want that Terracotta Army. You put in a lot of carrousels. You put in a lot of sets. You want the Winter Spire, cause it gives you fp's. You fill in the gaps with Sentinal Outposts, but those are still a little rare at the moment, so you also put in Tactician's Towers and Watchfires. Before you know it you actually have a decent defense, without you wanting one.

Only real decission you make when it comes to defending is if you want St Basil and Deal Castle. Space they take is all the space you lose for net production, so that is not really that much. Are you really losing that much net production, or are you wasting defense you already have?

Mustapha00

I think I am on firm ground when I say that the most valuable commodity this game has is space. Yes, even moreso than Diamonds.

Everyone, sooner or later, has to make a decision as to what constitutes the best use of what limited space they have based on how they approach the game. In a very real sense, Inno is telling us how they want their game played by rendering what I would think was a major facet of their game- active city defense- to be, in most cases, utterly and completely worthless, as a defense of 500%- or more- is little more effective than 2 Spearfighters. Aside from aesthetics (I happen to thing both Deal and SBC are among the game's best-looking GBs), there's really no reason to build defensive GBs. You're better off devoting that space to practically anything else.