• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Does the Observatory helps the City?

DeletedUser30312

Just trying to learn about observatories, thanks to google for finding the thread.

Unfortunately for you, this thread is now outdated. Glarg was right, Observatories were useless for anyone not in an active GvG guild, though Lord Magister made a good point about hunting down Obs prints anyone in case one later joined a guild that was GvG active.

However:

Several months after this thread went inactive, Inno implemented a new game feature, the Guild Expedition. While the Observatory still remains primarily a GvG building, guilds doing the GE benefits from the guild goods produced by the Observatory even if they don't participate in GvG. That is, an active guild that focuses on the GE and opens level 3 or 4 on a weekly basis needs guild goods for that, and the Observatory produces them (goods are still needed for level 2, but they're from the age behind and a guild that only goes to level 2 isn't likely active enough to be worth building the Obs for anyway). If you're in a guild that doesn't do GvG or GE and you're not interested in either aspect of the game, then the Observatory is useless for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34671

Several months after this thread went inactive, Inno implemented a new game feature, the Guild Expedition. While the Observatory still remains primarily a GvG building, guilds doing the GE benefits from the guild goods produced by the Observatory even if they don't participate in GvG. That is, an active guild that focuses on the GE and opens level 3 or 4 on a weekly basis, the need guild goods for that, and the Observatory produces them (goods are still needed for level 2, but they're from the age behind and a guild that only goes to level 2 isn't likely active enough to be worth building the Obs for anyway). If you're in a guild that doesn't do GvG or GE and you're not interested in either aspect of the game, then the Observatory is useless for you.
Very useful info thanks. I've never done GE before and not sure I want to bother but the guild I'm in is all over it... so thought it might be good to give it a go.

Algona

I've never done GE before

Highly recommended. I;ve won iver 10K Diaminds, thousands of FPs, scores of RKs 1 Ups, Stores, mundane buildings and Special Buildings through GE. You;ll start slow but it;s a snowball effect. You win troops you need to fight the lower leves. And your city grows ever faster from all the sawwag. allowing you to go even further.

Try it! You'll like it!

DeletedUser34671

Highly recommended. I;ve won iver 10K Diaminds, thousands of FPs, scores of RKs 1 Ups, Stores, mundane buildings and Special Buildings through GE. You;ll start slow but it;s a snowball effect. You win troops you need to fight the lower leves. And your city grows ever faster from all the sawwag. allowing you to go even further.
Awesomeness – now there's a helpful, friendly and useful answer in response to my inadvertent and useless opening of an old thread -- thank you! (And I have thoroughly enjoyed reading all the "irrelevant" comments). ;)

Cleavus

Is there an age where members should think about getting an Obs? We dont go GvG but its easier for me to open levels for the GE if there is some injection of goods into the treasury, I have a EMA member asking, but he only has a delphi and a zues, I think he should focus on a couple of others first.

DeletedUser30312

No set age IMO really, but Obs should probably wait until after the real basics -- Zeus, LoA, SMB, and CdM. CoA for a fighter and maybe the Babel. An active GE player should go for the ToR first too.

Algona

No set age IMO really, but Obs should probably wait until after the real basics -- Zeus, LoA, SMB, and CdM. CoA for a fighter and maybe the Babel. An active GE player should go for the ToR first too.

Someone has to pay for GE.

Each player can acquire the Goods each week through Goods Buildings and trading to donate to the Treasury. Or hope others of their Era balance out the 70 Iron they donate each week.. Either is an administrative nightmare.

Or not be in a Guild that does GE.

Or depend on someone else paying their dues for GE.

Or get an Obs, which a lot of Guilds will help the player acquire, and never worry about GE Costs again. Forever.

I'm not saying a player should divert all energies to getting an Obs first thing, but ...

Is there any better way to show you care about the Guild then getting an Obs early?

Add to that the savings in Goods not sent to Treasury and saving the Guild the administrative over head... All in 3x3 footprint and 500 or so FPS which can be spread out over months.

DeletedUser

Is there an age where members should think about getting an Obs?
Yes. Iron Age. As soon as you are in Iron Age and in a guild, you should at the very least think about it. I lead 3 different guilds, and am in another. All of them have GE as their chief focus. In none of them are the members asked to make Treasury donations. (Unless they don't have an Obs and they ask how they can help in that area.) The reason? Most, if not all, members have an Obs. And in the most active guild I lead, we have an Obs BP Hunter program to help those that don't yet have one. In the 3 guilds where I'm the leader, I just go to GE on Tuesday morning and unlock all 4 levels without a second thought. And the reason you need to think about it early is that GE level 2 unlocking requires previous age goods for every player above Iron Age. So the Obs not only takes care of your current age requirements, it also builds up a stock for when the current age becomes the previous age. So, if you're planning on being a valued guild member, build the Obs and build it earlier rather than later.
I have a EMA member asking, but he only has a delphi and a zues, I think he should focus on a couple of others first.
No need to do one and not the other. BPs for age-related GBs are acquired in many more ways than the Obs, so they can be pursued by focused aiding, while Obs BPs are being pursued by targeted FP donations. You can do both of those things at the same time. Also, make sure he/she is looking for Incidents in/around the city, because they are a good source of BPs for age-related GBs, also. I would advise this player to use his FP donations to go for Obs BPs, and decide which other GB to go for and use all other methods, including focused aiding, to pursue it.

DeletedUser30312

Good points, @Algona, but I wouldn't really ride a player's ass about it until HMA. Inexperienced players who may have been rushing are a little better served by learning the basics. Experienced players know what the Obs is and how to get it.

Depends on the guild too. My main guild encourages the Obs, but doesn't require it.