• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Question] Drawbacks to GB kits Arbitrage

• Thread starter DeletedUser38090
  • Start date

DeletedUser36624

i will report you for reporting me with a false accusation.
I'm not at all sure how putting even more FP on my Arc than it gets now is supposed to be taking advantage of me. Perhaps you can explain this New Math to me.

Goth Almighty

I was thinking of doing some GB goods arbritrage and charging some higher prices for the newbies, hoping that they don't know the going price for goods.

What exactly is the the going price of goods? I understand the price of goods to be whatever the market will bear. There really isn't a going rate, is there?

Algona

I have to differ with you on that one. An Arc is practically a license to print FPs no matter what your daily income is.

No, it's a license to lag behind for any inexperienced player.

The cost in FPs to acquire the Goods, the Goods traded, the space for Arc, the effort to level the Arc all could be used to progress a smaller city much faster then an Arc in the hands of a beginner.

Taking advantage of a low level Arc with few daily FPs requires a level of sophistication in FP strategy beyond swap chain threads and daily swaps that most new players just don't have.

DeletedUser38090

What exactly is the the going price of goods? I understand the price of goods to be whatever the market will bear. There really isn't a going rate, is there?
Usually it's the most common price that I get from contacting lots of goods sellers.

DeletedUser27889

How close to the going rate would you say this table is? https://prnt.sc/h9ooqa
The rates are wildly different on each world. More established worlds with more established players have more goods than the demands for them so prices will be lower. Before HC came out VF prices were lower than after it's release as there was higher demand.

No two goods offers are equal either, there are more variables than just upfront cost. If you have an arc and are willing to pay the price over a lock, you will be charged far less. Some sellers will not even take payments unless they are on top of locks so you may see quotes that are wildly different just for that. You also need to factor in contribution bonus return, if there is any. If someone is offering you 500 points that will lock you into first and get you 100 back (baring arc boost) it is a better deal than someone offering you 450 but with no returns.

Then there is the matter of trade backs. Some sellers don't care and will take 1/2 quantity BA in return. Others say it must be 1:1 IA or higher since IA they can donate to treasury where as BA they can do nothing with. Some may ask for goods of an even higher age, usually if their guild is pushing on that GvG map but typically the price would be adjusted down for anything over IA.

As for the actual topic, people have resold goods from me and I didn't really care, I was still selling. Other sellers however do not react to this well and will stop trading with you and inform others of what you are doing so they can decide if they want to trade with you anymore. A seller has no benefit in suppling their competition. I would not resell goods because I value the connections and reputation I have in game and don't want people to either not buy or sell from me because I've tainted things.

Emberguard

So I've been toying with the idea of helping out newbies […] [by] […] charging some higher prices for the newbies, hoping that they don't know the going price for goods.
05.10.15%2B-%2B1
'cause putting players into a higher debt then they could of had is totally helping them?

I'll sell the goods for 250-350 FP, which is the going price I've gotten for around 50% of the people I've talked to with some folks charging even higher.
Well now that puts it in a slightly different light. What would be a help for them is if they knew this is the average price rather then a helping price. 'cause lets face it, you're doing this as much for your own benefit as anything else. If it were for their benefit you'd be passing on at least some of the profit by making it on the cheaper end of things rather then the going price given you yourself got it much cheaper by your own admission.

Is it wrong to be the middle man? No. I'm just confused as to why you're relying on the newbies not knowing the going price if the price you've chosen is the going price for 50% of the market. Surely there's nothing to worry about with them knowing the going price if yours is the going price?
I have to differ with you on that one. An Arc is practically a license to print FPs no matter what your daily income is.
I'm with both of you to some extent. It's heartbreaking if the player doesn't know what they're getting into and isn't able to get benefit from it while building it up. It's not so bad if they're planning on putting everything into the Arc, have the proper support around them to build it up and will be around for years. At least then you know they'll see the pay off from it eventually.

But on the other hand if they had waited until they get to that 100FP per day mark it would be much faster to get the Arc up and running and everything else would also already have the foundations laid. No point in having a Arc if you then have no attack, goods, FP or happiness GBs built up in a meaningful way (aside from Delphi). 'cause lets face it. If you having a Arc takes a year to build it up and using that same time to building the city foundations for everything else could have then achieved the same Arc progress in a couple months you haven't actually saved any time in doing the Arc first. You've certainly achieved something, just not necessarily anything more [or less] then if you waited

Anyone not in a top guild is going to have a much harder and longer road for building up their Arc then those within a top guild simply by virtue of being surrounded with a different set of resources available to fall back on
No, it's a license to lag behind for any inexperienced player.

The cost in FPs to acquire the Goods, the Goods traded, the space for Arc, the effort to level the Arc all could be used to progress a smaller city much faster then an Arc in the hands of a beginner.

Taking advantage of a low level Arc with few daily FPs requires a level of sophistication in FP strategy beyond swap chain threads and daily swaps that most new players just don't have.
Indeed.

Houndsmoor no arc = Modern Age
Noarsil lvl 60 arc = Early Middle Ages

It's nice and safe from [neighbourhood] snipers though :p There's no other arc near my lvl until postmodern age. Of course that also means it's not that much of an achievement not getting sniped given there was no real risk involved

Last edited:

DeletedUser37432

I found reselling goods very useful.
I got the goods and BPs for my higher age GBs easily by reselling the goods that too at about 100 - 150 fps discount per set (e.g. Arc, Kraken, AO etc.). I supplied to my guild leaders at the rates which was about 25% cheaper than his supplier. I pay in advance to get the goods and ask my buyers to pay me after I supply goods that too over a period of a week or more. I even plan their contribution in such a way that they get first or second spot on my gb.
Still I think I made more progress because of the reselling goods than I otherwise would have made.

DeletedUser36624

thinks about the average hoodie, decides you are right

It was obvious to me from very early on that fields of SoKs and TFs, and even anything I could place in my city would not be the real gold mine in terms of FP. The majority of my FP come from other people's GBs and the Arc has only accelerated that dramatically. I was sniping Oracles as soon as I got out of BA. I've never participated in a swap thread or daily swap. I have participated in 180% swap threads, as invitations to them are plentiful, and they are useful for when nobody ponies up more. The Arc has more than paid for itself many times over in the two and a half months I have had it.

Today is my 180-day FoEversary. I r such a n00b.

Emberguard

@Agent327 its been over a month. There'd be something wrong if having posted as much as they have they didn't know anybody's philosophy at all dispute all the conversations in that time

DeletedUser38090

No point in having a Arc if you then have no attack, goods, FP or happiness GBs built up in a meaningful way (aside from Delphi).
Usually during my first or second week of guild hopping, I ask hundreds poorly-connected self-levelers to notify me when their GB is about to level so I could get more FP packs. I think having an arc, even without other significant GBs, would benefit me greatly as I could get even higher profit margins than without it.

DeletedUser38090

Based on the responses given, I'm not going to try this on my main world, as I'm not going to kill my reputation and integrity there for a couple of FPs. Might try this out only on a different world just to see how it goes. Since cross-world deals are against the rules, I shouldn't get any spillback from the price flipping activities on the experimental town to my mains. I'll sell them 50-75 less FP than the average price.

Thank y'all so much for the insight.

Last edited by a moderator: