• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Early Era Speedup Feedback

PJS299

I like the idea. I think that this could help more players keep playing the game. The early eras are always painfully slow, but I think that making some of the earlier GBs or some event buildings would also motivate players to stay.

Ebeondi Asi

Personally I think that one key to getting more early new players to stay is reducing plundering.
The current AI for Hood attacks on a player's city is ridiculously biased to let the attacker win.

I think it should be the opposite. The attacker should have to be skilled to win. The main reason everyone stopped bothering with City Defense was, it was useless! All due to the way the fight AI worked. That should be changed so the attacker is as badly harmed by the AI as the defenders used to be!!! Whatever would be done should make any autobattle with Rogues be a 100% win for the defenders. Where now it's a guaranteed win for the attackers.
Even if the defenders get to move first , no matter what, all eight first. and then target the real troop, never rogues. etc.
Then you would keep a lot of players who can't tolerate the endless early era plunder game.
And yes this is a bit off target of discussion but is appropriate to the problems. and solution issues that created to changes.

Aramiso

Personally I think that one key to getting more early new players to stay is reducing plundering.
The current AI for Hood attacks on a player's city is ridiculously biased to let the attacker win.

I think it should be the opposite. The attacker should have to be skilled to win. The main reason everyone stopped bothering with City Defense was, it was useless! All due to the way the fight AI worked. That should be changed so the attacker is as badly harmed by the AI as the defenders used to be!!! Whatever would be done should make any autobattle with Rogues be a 100% win for the defenders. Where now it's a guaranteed win for the attackers.
Even if the defenders get to move first , no matter what, all eight first. and then target the real troop, never rogues. etc.
Then you would keep a lot of players who can't tolerate the endless early era plunder game.
And yes this is a bit off target of discussion but is appropriate to the problems. and solution issues that created to changes.
Agreed; I had started four months ago, in several worlds. I closed down two due to endless attacks and looting, can't be up all hours to harvest supplies and cash. I continued one world, but advanced pretty rapidly to Contemporary, as of tonight. I don't think that's remarkable, just takes some planning. So I wouldn't change it to make it easier, but agree very much with Enoch that defense needs improvement. Despite whatever defenses I assigned, I lost.

Emberguard

Maybe I'm a special case. :)
No. In my experience plundering tends to be most common on brand new worlds, or in very specific Ages. And new players that complain about plundering don't always seem to differentiate between an actual plunder and only being attacked. It's a combination of factors but certainly those at the bottom of the neighborhood are most likely to be attacked

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

Agree some players are very bothered by just being attacked. It is something we all got used to. But for some they can't stand it.
Again if the defensive forces had a good chance to win, it would really make a difference.

As if the bullies now get all their way. and the players who are being bullied have no recourse but to give up trying to defend, or quit.

Aramiso

Nothing like waking up, checking your city only to see a dozen little burglars over your buildings. Like a public pool full of piranha! Rebalance the defense.

Johnny B. Goode

Nothing like waking up, checking your city only to see a dozen little burglars over your buildings. Like a public pool full of piranha! Rebalance the defense.
What did you do to tick off the neighbors?!? I've been playing 8 years with cities on multiple worlds and haven't had more than two buildings plundered in a day since they made the neighborhoods more era-specific. (In the early days you could be in a hood with players several eras ahead of yours.)

More on topic, I started three new cities this week. I don't know from the description if I'm in the A/B test group, and all three are still in BA, but there is a lot different from just a few months ago. Some things make it easier, some actually make it a little more difficult. It all balances out for the most part.

Honestly, I do not care about any of the Early Era Speedup changes. I was never frustrated by the pace of early eras. What DID frustrate me was how slowly GB blueprints were coming in.

If it were up to me, I would not get rid of side quests, but rather make GB blueprints a more frequent reward for the said side quests. And I completely agree with several people here regarding plundering -- in early eras PvP favors the attacker to a ridiculous extent.

Johnny B. Goode

Honestly, I do not care about any of the Early Era Speedup changes. I was never frustrated by the pace of early eras. What DID frustrate me was how slowly GB blueprints were coming in.
This is exactly why I started three new cities during the last event. I ended up with 2-3 Jester's Stages in each and that makes it much easier and faster to get BPs, especially in Bronze Age when there are only two options for the random chance.

Darkest.Knight

I was only short on BP's when I first started playing, it didn't take long to generate an excess of useful ones. It helps quite to aid both your friends and neighbors daily. As painful as it was I added BP's to the last spot on "big" buildings, not great for FP's but worked like a charm for BP's.

Dominator - X

Rebalance the defense and defense needs improvement. Despite whatever defenses I assigned, I lost.
Just like anything in FOE or real life. If something is difficult, learn how to confront and equalize it, instead of expecting someone else to change or "fix" something.
I didn't like being sniped early on, where It would cost me more FP's to level my GB's. I didn't whine about it nor did I expect INNO to "fix" the problem. I changed. I changed the way I primed my GB's and the threads I posted them to. And booted snipers from my FL. I made the difference, not someone else.
I hated being attacked and plundered early on. I didn't whine about it nor did I send nasty PM's to those who were attacking and plundering me. (I used to get those all the time when I was more in to attacking and plundering). I changed. I changed how I collected my city and added buildings that helped my city defense. I really do not care much about being attacked anymore. However, I make sure that I can't be plundered. At least, not from my important buildings. Again, I made the difference. I didn't wait for someone else to do it for me.
There is more satisfaction in using your mind, experiencing trial and error and even abject failure. Then, adjusting. Much more so, than expecting someone else to change or figure it out for us. Many of us have figured out a way to survive and even thrive, despite what you claim as an imbalance. You'll get there if you want to.

Ironrooster

I'm ok with the A/B test (although I'm not sure what the value of it is in this case). But I can't really provide feedback unless I know I have the changes. Everything described sounds good (although the announcement is a little bit light on details), but until I actually play a city with the changes I can't really say.

So..
Are these changes effective for already existing worlds in HMA or other early ages? How would I know if any of mine have the changes?

If I start a new world how do I know if I have the changes?