• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Edited -Rival quest - problem fixed

jaymoney23456

I didn't spend much extra energy at all vs. normal amt for the rival days. I did spend all the extra gem spawns I got from the rival/questline though and the pickaxes. Sort of regret the pickaxes- could have probably gotten away with saving a few of those. As far as the keys, I found it was easier to get the keys part of the rival quests than the clearing lv 1,2, or 3 pieces or x number of water, wind, or fire.

I didn't spend much extra energy at all vs. normal amt for the rival days. I did spend all the extra gem spawns I got from the rival/questline though and the pickaxes. Sort of regret the pickaxes- could have probably gotten away with saving a few of those. As far as the keys, I found it was easier to get the keys part of the rival quests than the clearing lv 1,2, or 3 pieces or x number of water, wind, or fire.
Definitely the keys are easier than freeing x number of gems, especially since you get 3 keys when you have a key of level 4 gems. I'm sure I didn't use the energy in the most efficient way possible, but it's still hard for me to understand how someone could clear that many gems with only a small expenditure of energy. It may not have to cost >3k, but it sure seems like it would have to cost >500-700. I know the prior poster said he actually spent 1000-1200 and used 500-700 as net of the extra energy he got from the quest line, but so did I, and about 3k was the net expenditure. Some of the cost probably came from the fact that I never reset the boards, but always finished clearing them. I could have saved a lot of energy by resetting when I got down to 1 or 2 gems when I had to spawn a bunch to get the right ones to clear them. I'll probably try that on the next rival quest line.

It was simple really. If the board looks good or at least average, complete it with the pickaxes. If it's terrible, reset. You get 12 picks, loads of spawners plus parallel quests with the fire, water, and wind gems. Unless you were very unlucky I can't imagine having to spend that much if you were playing optimally.

(Btw, I spent 1000-1200 energy but this was subtracted from the 500 gotten from Rival).
I have a question for you regarding efficient energy expenditure. One of the instructional Youtube videos I watched on it suggested spawning a lot of gems (maybe 10-15) at the beginning before you start freeing locked ones. Do you do that, or do you spawn one at a time and only spawn a new one when you need one? I usually had quite a few remaining loose gems on the board by the time I finished clearing it, but most of that was from spawning a lot at the end when I needed one particular type and level to finish clearing.

jaymoney23456

Definitely the keys are easier than freeing x number of gems, especially since you get 3 keys when you have a key of level 4 gems. I'm sure I didn't use the energy in the most efficient way possible, but it's still hard for me to understand how someone could clear that many gems with only a small expenditure of energy. It may not have to cost >3k, but it sure seems like it would have to cost >500-700. I know the prior poster said he actually spent 1000-1200 and used 500-700 as net of the extra energy he got from the quest line, but so did I, and about 3k was the net expenditure. Some of the cost probably came from the fact that I never reset the boards, but always finished clearing them. I could have saved a lot of energy by resetting when I got down to 1 or 2 gems when I had to spawn a bunch to get the right ones to clear them. I'll probably try that on the next rival quest line.
I spend good amt of energy on it just wasn't much over what I would normally spend in a day on boards is all and I have over 2200 energy on hand at the moment still.

jaymoney23456

I have a question for you regarding efficient energy expenditure. One of the instructional Youtube videos I watched on it suggested spawning a lot of gems (maybe 10-15) at the beginning before you start freeing locked ones. Do you do that, or do you spawn one at a time and only spawn a new one when you need one? I usually had quite a few remaining loose gems on the board by the time I finished clearing it, but most of that was from spawning a lot at the end when I needed one particular type and level to finish clearing.
I just spawn whatever I am going to at the start of a board. I had been doing 12 each board and 4 boards a day. Cutting back to 10 spawns per board now to try to get through the event without having to cut back on boards a day.

Emberguard

I can't imagine how you could finish the rival questline spending only 500-700 energy. It took me practically all of the >3000 energy I had accumulated in the event so far, plus almost all of the boosts I picked up doing it, to complete all 32 quests.

At just 500 it likely meant min-max’ing with the pickaxes, prismatic gems and maybe using the gem spawners

Over the Rival I only reset upto (and including) the 80 energy reset. Stopped on a board if it was too expensive and waited for the reset before starting again

Thing with Rival is you had the beginning round of boards, plus two resets during the 48 hrs. So the easiest way to reduce costs is simply wait for the next cost reset if you‘ve run out of gems for your current board.

One very important thing would be keeping the quests rotating. If it’s not a board quest it needs to be cleared to make room for a board quest. If a board quest is completed it needs to be cleared to make room for the next quest before you do anything else on the board.

Completing Guild Expedition quickly allows those tasks to auto-complete as they come up. That’ll be more difficult once it stop auto-completing at Lvl 4, as then you’ll likely need the capability to complete Lvl 5. But if you can then the earlier you can get that done the easier any Rival with Guild Expedition tasks will be.

KingJMobile

Assuming perfect overlap so that every board unlocked the maximum number of required gems and keys for each quest line, you would have needed to clear at least six boards plus part of a 7th just to have enough locked gems available to free, not even to mention that your spawns would have had to be perfect so that absolutely none of them went to waste and your boards would have had to be perfect so that each board produced exactly the right number of gems of each type so that each quest in each quest line would be completed at the same time and no locked gems would be wasted by not counting toward completion of a quest. In addition, to maintain perfect efficiency, you would have to stop every time you completed the gems/keys portions of one quest to go and do whatever other requirements there were for that quest so you could move on to the next quest in that quest line and not waste any unlocked gems or keys that weren't working toward completion of the next quest. Forget about the incredible luck you would need for all those perfect spawns and boards and the time it would take to do all the dozens of battles and productions that you wouldn't be able to overlap perfectly, even with all that how could you even find 195 gems to free and 135 keys to make on just 3 or 4 full boards plus parts of three more?

Well if you want to get into the math of that: I had one untouched board +3 resets +4 completions.

So that's 8 boards, first of all, so 256 potential unlocks. 1000 to 1200 energy spent, plus 25-30 gem adders, 8 picks, and 1 discoloration boost to get specific color gems.

Doing the math, that works to 16-18 spawns a piece plus an extra 1 from the pick per board. So 1.7 unlocks per spawn, which I think is reasonable considering size 4 gems are free unlocks and you mostly get size 1 and 2 from spawn.

For the boards that I couldn't complete, I had like 4-6 annoying size 1 and size 2 gems which I didn't want to gamble too much on. As for the keys, it was 135 keys in total, which again is 17 keys a board, which is 6 big pieces on average, which is not unreasonable considering the average board has a potential of 8.

Spending more than 3000 and the 48 gem adders plus 12 picks from Rival is pretty unlucky IMO. Nothing sounds unreasonable to me considering all quests were parallel to each other and I could control when to collect gems or unlock. Maybe I did get very lucky or something I don't know. I was half expecting to have some overspill of gem collecting or gem unlocking, but I don't think that was an issue either.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything wrong with my math. If there isn't please give this a like so I know, and I'll see how I do in the next Rival Event.

Well if you want to get into the math of that: I had one untouched board +3 resets +4 completions.

So that's 8 boards, first of all, so 256 potential unlocks. 1000 to 1200 energy spent, plus 25-30 gem adders, 8 picks, and 1 discoloration boost to get specific color gems.

Doing the math, that works to 16-18 spawns a piece plus an extra 1 from the pick per board. So 1.7 unlocks per spawn, which I think is reasonable considering size 4 gems are free unlocks and you mostly get size 1 and 2 from spawn.

For the boards that I couldn't complete, I had like 4-6 annoying size 1 and size 2 gems which I didn't want to gamble too much on. As for the keys, it was 135 keys in total, which again is 17 keys a board, which is 6 big pieces on average, which is not unreasonable considering the average board has a potential of 8.

Spending more than 3000 and the 48 gem adders plus 12 picks from Rival is pretty unlucky IMO. Nothing sounds unreasonable to me considering all quests were parallel to each other and I could control when to collect gems or unlock. Maybe I did get very lucky or something I don't know. I was half expecting to have some overspill of gem collecting or gem unlocking, but I don't think that was an issue either.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything wrong with my math. If there isn't please give this a like so I know, and I'll see how I do in the next Rival Event.
From your posts, I've seen a couple of things I was doing that significantly impacted the efficiency of my energy expenditure. One, I did not reset any boards. I kept spawning gems until I completed them, which probably cost me a lot energy I could have saved by just resetting when I got near the end and had only a couple of stubborn ones that I couldn't unlock. The other was that I was focused on making as many keys as possible, so instead of using a level 4 key to clear all the locked level 4 gems, I waited until I could unlock them with a gem that had the complementary key part so that I could turn them into keys. I definitely will use the reset function in the next Rival questline, as the completion rewards don't justify the energy it takes to finish every board. On the key thing, I might continue doing what I'm doing because the more keys I have, the more chests I can open and the more progress I can make on the main event pass. Thanks for the helpful information!

Emberguard

And somehow got into silver?

Have you spent a bunch of keys besides the first chest of the day? Anniversary kit hasn't appeared as a set Daily Special yet. I would probably need to spend half my keys to reach your score, and still got most of my boosters left

PJS299

Have you spent a bunch of keys besides the first chest of the day? Anniversary kit hasn't appeared as a set Daily Special yet. I would probably need to spend half my keys to reach your score, and still got most of my boosters left
I haven't spent too many keys, still have over 100 of each (but that must be why). I haven't spent any diamonds, either.

Sharmon the Impaler

Yes it was a swap on day 6. I got 5 DS in a row and 2X 3 in a row on the same day. Their RNG was broken in a good way.

Last edited:

jaymoney23456

I ignored the rival this week. I would have done so pretty much no matter what once more supply production quests came up and it would have taken garden of eternal dreams as a reward to change my decision.