• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Efficient Attack layout ratio

DeletedUser30312

I did up a chart with the data I collected on that table:

boostchart.jpg

You can see just how badly the Yggdrasil beats everything out once it's maxed. It's not even close. Even at level 1, it's a 0.66667 attack per square which puts in in the upper range of buildings, and it only gets worse. Yeah, if you're fighting, DO VIKINGS. The Ygg should be considered just as essential as the combat GBs.

Winner's Plaza at this point is pretty much obsolete. It's just a cultural with an attack bonus, but the Carousel is also a cultural that has the same amount of space, a bigger attack bonus, and a defense bonus on top. Botanical Rotunda is an even stronger cultural, but it doesn't have the Carousel's defense bonus. And if you're fighting, the happiness from these SBs is just a bonus, since the Traz is probably your biggest source. They have the typical downside of culturals, that is they draw Aid away from production buildings, but they do make more happiness than decos.

For basic residentials, the Royal Marble Gateway is the best overall. It has the most efficient attack bouns, and it generates its own happiness to balance out some of the population gain. The Checkmate Square and Speaker's Corner seem to be pretty much identical to each other, and they're only slightly worse than the Gateway. All three are solid basic buildings for attack boosting. Contestants' Estate isn't bad for lower ages, but later in the game it falls behind with its flat bonus, and otherwise it's just a house that makes a piddling number of medals and its the worst of the residentials overall.

The Altar of Artemis is the second most efficient of the upgradeables, followed by the Colossus. The Fire Pagoda, while worse, does have goods production as well, if that matters. The Greater Runestone at its highest level is equal to the Estate in terms of attack, but in addition to a tiny amount of medals it also makes FP (and a single good, but that's not very useful). The Pirate Ship is actually pretty bad in terms of efficiency, that flat +8% does not improve with level, while the others get better and better in a smaller footprint.

The Pirate Guard Post is pretty strong, especially from CE onward. Being a deco though means it'll tend to steal away aid from buildings that need it, so spamming it isn't a good idea. It makes a great alternative to those little spaces where one would stick a Ritual Flame in though.

The Classical Garden Pool is the most efficient set piece when doubled up in the "sandwich" formation. The Sakura Rock is next if leveled up to 2. The Piazza Clock Tower is the next most efficient attack boost on a set piece. The Elephant Fountain is nowhere near as good as these sets. The Halmbock isn't very strong either, but if two are arranged in a 3x3 formation like I showed in this post, it provides a slightly stronger attack boost than a doubled Classical Garden Pool in a smaller space that doesn't need roads. Sets have the weakest attack boosts overall, but they can be assembled in different ways, and there's the possibility for set piece arrangements other than the defaults to get a bigger bonus. I haven't measured this for most sets to keep things simpler and because some of the ideas are a bit experimental and/or require very unusual placements.

So basic rule of thumb when trying to acquire attack bonus buildings:

The 4 GBs that provide attack bonuses. I don't have them compared to the SBs, but they're essential to any attack strategy, since they provide a defensive bonus to attacking units as well as an attack bonus. No SB has this advantage.

Yggdrasil is indisputably the best, and probably should be considered as essential as the GBs.

Of the other upgradeables, Altar of Artemis is the best overall, but if a player wants to make goods, then go for the Fire Pagoda. The Colossus is also decent, but the Pirate Ship has a very poor bonus for its space, I'm going to consider it a whale trap.

Royal Marble Gateway is the best residential, followed very closely by the Checkmate Square and Speaker's Corner.

Botanical Rotunda is the best cultural, but Carousel is also very goods since it provides defense and is an effective replacement for the Tigers' Den.

Pirate Guard Post is a nice little space filler for high age players.

The sets are weaker, though their other bonuses may be worth it. The Classical Garden Pool is great when doubled up, but it doesn't produce much. A leveled up Cherry Garden set is a good set option for attack and defense bonuses, and of course has FP and goods production. A leveled up Piazza is a bit weaker on attack, but has a complete set of boosts, and makes more FP and goods than the Cherry Garden. The Winter Village can chain Halmbocks together to boost attack as another space filler.

I think I'm going to do a comparison of defense boosts and FP production. With the Antique Dealer live, and the potential to acquire a good number of older SBs that had limited numbers before, I think some comparisons will be useful. Some of these buildings may not be as good for attack boosts, but they may provide some useful benefits for FP production or city defense.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser30312

Yeah, I'm not too happy about the readability myself. Doesn't help everything's jammed at the bottom while the Ygg is up by itself at the top. There's a lot of overlap too.

DeletedUser30312

Updates:

Appleton Cottage falls in between the Checkmate Square and Pirate Guard Post with just over 1% boost/tile in SAM. Starts off weaker than the Colossus, but equals it at EMA, and becomes the third strongest attack boost on an upgradeable building at LMA.

The Abandoned Asylum starts out as the second strongest attack booster, but by SAM it's slightly worse than the Pirate Guard Post. Still, it's a very strong building overall and worth the space.

Charcoal Express is also pretty good. It's usually slightly worse than the Abandoned Asylum, but in some ages it's slightly better. Much much better than that scow known as the Pirate Ship, since its attack bonus actually increases, it produces slightly more FP, and has the same amount of goods production. I have to check out the Dining Cars though, silly train cars and the chaining makes the math stupid complicated.

DreadfulCadillac

I'm not a huge GB leveler, at least with fighting bonuses, so I have braced myself for any upcoming ridicule. I just made it to the Modern Era BTW, so that will surely make it worse.

Level 10 Colossus/10%/16
Botanical Rotunda/6%/9
Carousel/5%/9
Classical Garden Pool/5%/8
Level 1 Piazza Clock Tower/4%/6
Contestant's Estate/3%/6
Statue of Zeus/18%/6
Cathedral of Aachen/15%/24

Total Attack Boost: 66%
Tiles used: 84
Efficiency: 0.79% per tile.
Are you guys just using the average to find the "efficeny per tile"?
Again, sry for the necro.

DreadfulCadillac

(I have excluded sentinel outposts)
1x L10 Colossus /11%/16
1x L2 Sakura Rock /10%/6
1x Fire Pagoda /9%/16
1x L2 Piazza Clock Tower /6%/6
1x L2 Yggdrasil /6%/9
1x Altar of Artemis /5%/6
1x Elephant Fountain /4%/16
1x Royal Marble Gateway /4%/6
2x Botanical Rotunda /14%/18
2x Carousel /10%/18
3x Pirate Guard Posts 3%/6
4x Classical Garden Pool 20%/32
GB Castel del Monte 33%/25
GB Cathedral of Aachen 30%/24
GB Statue Of Zeus 30%/6
GB Terracotta Army 12/24
206% ÷ 234 (Land used) = 0.88034188034
I'm getting 0.88 attack Per Tile!
@Super Catanian I assume this is the correct way to do it?