• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for Guild Expedition.. Level 5

Pericles the Lion

So how long do you figure it would take someone to build up att/defense to 1500/1500 ? That is the agreed to level that makes GE5 doable. I built my defense up to 372/352 in two months with very heavy playing so a regular player should be able to do the full 1500/1500 in about 2 years.
Speaking of SAJM only. I don't know who "agreed" that it would take 1500/1500. A few weeks ago, extrapolating boosts that I used in GBG, I theorized that boosts of approximately 1500/1200 would be necessary to fight all 16 Level 5 encounters. What I did not consider was the impact that Kraken (which I had) and Virgo (which I didn't have) would have on the results. Since that time, I built Virgo. This GE season, with blue boosts of 281/862 (including 450 defense from potions) and Kraken/Virgo firing on every first wave, I was able to fight the first 11 encounters and I negotiated the remaining 5. It took me 4 weeks to build my blue boosts from next to nothing to this level. I have enough potions to last 6 months at this burn rate. The Forgotten Temple and Serpent Statue (which I will build this week) will likely allow me to fight encounter 12, and perhaps more, successfully. I can negotiate the remaining encounters indefinitely. I can't say how long it will take to be able to fight all 16 encounters but it won't take me years.

Pericles the Lion

Until they nerf that little loophole , don't forget you aren't really defending but attacking using defender stats. Kraken and Virgo are attack related not defense. It would take them next to nothing to exclude them both from GE like they are from PvP.
Pessimism is not a trait that I aspire to. I don't think that INNO will nerf the Kraken or the Virgo. But you may want to hold off on building up your defenses just in case. I'll be ready for your "I told you so" if that day ever comes. :cool:

Pericles the Lion

So this patch of 50 squares if hyper leveled will greatly help during 1 approximately 24 hour period (16 fights of GE5) and then basically supply you with about 70 fp per day , your math is pretty bad if you think this is good lol
My math is just fine and it's more like 100 squares producing about 50 FPs, 1M coins, and 146 SAV goods. If you insist on looking at it this way, don't forget to count SBC and SG. :)

Pericles the Lion

I am just talking about the two GBs that are useless outside of GE5. You may think that coins are important and worth 25 squares so that's at least one person that needs the SBC.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. As long as you understand you it's all okay. I've made an investment so that I can more easily complete level 5. You think that it is an unwise investment and you are entitled to your opinion, but opinions vary.

Orius Maximus

Speaking of SAJM only. I don't know who "agreed" that it would take 1500/1500. A few weeks ago, extrapolating boosts that I used in GBG, I theorized that boosts of approximately 1500/1200 would be necessary to fight all 16 Level 5 encounters. What I did not consider was the impact that Kraken (which I had) and Virgo (which I didn't have) would have on the results. Since that time, I built Virgo. This GE season, with blue boosts of 281/862 (including 450 defense from potions) and Kraken/Virgo firing on every first wave, I was able to fight the first 11 encounters and I negotiated the remaining 5. It took me 4 weeks to build my blue boosts from next to nothing to this level. I have enough potions to last 6 months at this burn rate. The Forgotten Temple and Serpent Statue (which I will build this week) will likely allow me to fight encounter 12, and perhaps more, successfully. I can negotiate the remaining encounters indefinitely. I can't say how long it will take to be able to fight all 16 encounters but it won't take me years.

Virgo isn't that reliable though. I've had one for about a year and I usually use it on GE. It's great when it fires, but I've had runs where it didn't trigger at all. So while I'd agree it's useful for GE, you can't really count on it unless maybe it's very high.

qaccy

Ummm, no. Wrong to the extreme. I'm negative about GE5 because it didn't just bring defense army boosts "even more into relevance", it introduced a feature that pretty much demands that they be as high as the attacking boosts we've spent years building up. After having no game feature that even rewarded having defending army boosts to any relevant degree. If they had introduced this with much more reasonable enemy boosts on level 5, then I would have no problem at all with it. I actually have no problem with the fact that it takes a ton of goods to negotiate GE5, because that is actually just the natural progression from GE4.

So, thanks for your self-righteous dismissal of others' genuine feedback on this, but many of us don't have 2000% attacking boosts, and wouldn't have even cared about a GE5 that just extended the same mechanic as GE1-4. I like the idea of it taking defending army boosts to fight GE5, it just doesn't make any sense at all to start them out so high. And I'm not going to validate their choice by going out of my way to participate in it immediately. If at some point I get my defending boosts to the level where it is feasible to participate in GE5, then I will. But I'm not destroying or completely remaking my city to do it, especially given that the rewards are not that great. (And spare me the spiel about the buildings, they're not that great outside of their usefulness in GE5.)
The thing is, aside from the switch to utilizing blue bonuses instead of red ones, it's still a 'progression' from GE4, just like negotiation is. GE5 should start with higher boosts than GE4 ends with, and progress upwards from there. Just because it uses blue boosts that a lot of the outspoken players here ignored doesn't mean that GE5 should go 'backwards' and have overall weaker enemies just to make things easier for them. As I said (and as you noted yourself), if GE5 had used red bonuses instead, pretty much none of these players complaining about it using blue bonuses would have said anything.

And yes, I will affirm that at least 3/4 of the building rewards from GE5 are useful across the rest of the game. The Greater Ritual Flame is the only one that won't have much use for now outside of GE5, but all of the others are incredibly efficient on the powercreep scale, provide those sacred red military bonuses, and can be obtained more reliably than event buildings, especially if someone's looking to avoid spending diamonds. Because while GE5 may be expensive to negotiate through, I don't think anyone's spending thousands of diamonds on it like players do during events (or even real money at this point, since event passes are a thing now).

Blue boosts were not functionally an "already-existing mechanic." They existed as a concept but not relevant to any player. And due to space limitations forcing players to make exclusionary choices, they were actively discouraged. As I've said multiple times, red boosts gave more FP, points, goods, and prestige in basically every aspect of the game (GE, GBG, PVP arena, GVG, plundering). Blue did nothing. Blue boosts were beaten by red boosts in every case, even in the situations blue boosts were nominally designed for. "You have 2000% blue attack and defense so you won't get plundered? Great, enjoy wasting 6 attacks on my rogues while I manually focus fire your units and win 7-0." "You have 2000% blue attack and defense so I won't hit you in Arena? I wasn't going to hit you anyway because you're worth half as much as the AI bots which are easier because they use the same troops every time making it easy to counter." Red boosts are sacred because they matter. Blue boosts have never mattered until GE5.

People who are competitive would not build a city with blue boosts, much less with OoD or Coliseum. And if you want to play in a non-competitive way that's fine, no one is telling you not to. What people are complaining about is that just because a dumb design change hurts you less than them, doesn't mean it's a good design change.
Sorry, but anything that exists in the game has passed the 'concept' stage. And I'm not really seeing them being 'actively discouraged' as far as the buildings providing the bonuses are concerned. Players may have sneered at buildings like the Athlon Abbey or Bear Mountain at the time they were released, but point-for-point they're just as good as other event buildings that provided other bonuses, give or take some stat shuffling and the general advance of powercreep over the years. And yeah, it probably stings to hear that someone who's playing, by your definition, 'non-competitively', is able to be successful in GE5 and in the rest of the game as well. I mean, as far as red boosts go, how much is necessary? GE4 caps out lower than GE5 does, GvG doesn't go higher than 75%, and GBG is generally a farming fiesta against enemies with no boosts at all. That just leaves the PvP Arena, which in terms of player benefits, hardly makes a stronger argument for stacking red boosts than it does for blue ones. The strawman arguments I already told you I wasn't going to respond to anymore, since you already made it clear you've got your eyes wide shut on that one.

Wishing wells were much more accessible, being a prize in basically every event.
Yeah, Wishing Wells were a prize back when their productions were actually relevant and the big spenders were filling their cities with SoKs. Nowadays, literally the only thing that keeps them valuable to some players is that slim chance of collecting diamonds from them. This is why they eventually made it into the Antiques Dealer and started appearing less frequently in events.

Pericles the Lion

Virgo isn't that reliable though. I've had one for about a year and I usually use it on GE. It's great when it fires, but I've had runs where it didn't trigger at all. So while I'd agree it's useful for GE, you can't really count on it unless maybe it's very high.
Mine's at 45 now. Five tries @ 64.7%. If it doesn't fire off, I surrender and start over. Completing GE64 by early Thursday morning allows 5 days of VP use which should be enough to get to GE80 if the boosts are sufficient.

honey55

I hadn't considered that Kraken and virgo were attack related. Since in the past they have brought changes to live many times, I'm not to sure i would considered one pessimistic to think it might happen or even weigh the possibility in their decision to build one. If they really want me to embrace the idea that we are defending instead of attacking, they really shouldn't be allowing the Kraken and Virgo to be used. However, to really make it seem more valid, they should also allow us a fresh army for wave 2 but not allow the ones attacking us a fresh army.

Johnny B. Goode

The thing is, aside from the switch to utilizing blue bonuses instead of red ones, it's still a 'progression' from GE4, just like negotiation is.
Aside from the switch from horses to motors, cars were just a progression from wagons. LOL
You know what horse drawn wagons left in their wake? Horse manure, which is exactly what this statement of yours is.
"Aside from the most jarring change in FoE history, there's nothing special about this." ROFLMAO
Yeah, dismiss the most important point out of hand just because it doesn't fit your agenda. Rubbish is what that is, dude. Try again.
And yes, I will affirm that at least 3/4 of the building rewards from GE5 are useful across the rest of the game. The Greater Ritual Flame is the only one that won't have much use for now outside of GE5, but all of the others are incredibly efficient on the powercreep scale, provide those sacred red military bonuses, and can be obtained more reliably than event buildings, especially if someone's looking to avoid spending diamonds. Because while GE5 may be expensive to negotiate through, I don't think anyone's spending thousands of diamonds on it like players do during events (or even real money at this point, since event passes are a thing now).
Wrong and wrong again. The only part of the Forgotten Temple that's useful is the attack boosts. Mostly because it's been discovered that the FP boost isn't what it's cracked up to be. Aside from the ability to get that boost along with other useful benefits from other buildings, there's the fact that you have to keep finishing GE5 every single week to maintain it. The Feathered Serpent Statue is decent for its size at level 3, but it takes 12 weeks finishing GE5 to get one. The benefits of the Serpent Fins and Feathers are negligible and are more easily obtained elsewhere. The Serpent Spikes are useless outside of GE5, and the boost is so small as to be useless unless obtained in mass. The Divine Sky Watch isn't terribly impressive. You would need several of them to make any impact and the benefits can easily be matched by other buildings. And as you said, the Greater Ritual Flame is virtually useless outside of GE5.

So I will affirm that all of the 7 unique buildings available only in GE5 are either useless outside of GE5 or easily matched by buildings much more easily obtained by other means. Part of the usefulness of buildings is how you can obtain them. With all the other ways to obtain attack boosts, finishing GE5 is the least efficient way to do it. Defending army boosts are useless outside GE5. Any other benefits from the buildings are exceeded by many buildings outside GE5. The cost benefit analysis is where GE5 breaks down.
Mine's at 45 now. Five tries @ 64.7%. If it doesn't fire off, I surrender and start over. Completing GE64 by early Thursday morning allows 5 days of VP use which should be enough to get to GE80 if the boosts are sufficient.
So that's 50 squares of your city only useful in GE5. (Kraken's effect in other battles is negligible at best, I sold the one in my main city several weeks ago to make way for more effective buildings.) Then there's 12 squares for the Forgotten Temple. And another 6 for each piece of the Serpent Statue chain that you place. Don't forget the SBC and Star Gazer that you mentioned earlier, another 50 squares. Greater Ritual Flames. Now you're talking about getting close to or exceeding 150 squares of your city almost totally devoted to GE5 that are mostly useless outside of that. The only one of these buildings that I would want in my cities is the Star Gazer, only because I do solo guilds and getting previous era goods without having to find or pay for trades is nice. Not critical, but nice.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would waste space on the Virgo with it only having such limited attempts. Even at level 80, it only gets 5 tries at about 69% or so. So maybe 3 or 4 battles affected per day. Sometimes less. Occasionally 5. At least the Kraken gives FP. :rolleyes:

CDmark

One thing I mentioned somewhere, not sure if in this thread or another, I think they were running out of ideas for event buildings, the stats, power creep. There wasn't much more they could give (or wanted to give may be a better way to say it) so it is possible, they decided to promote defending stats in event buildings and use GE5 as the carrot (L3 FS especially, even RED likes this building as a standalone). Now they have lots of room to play. This is a pure guess and is not meant to justify the switch for GE5. BUT, they have to make the new event buildings obtainable via normal event play, not have us micromanage an event. Event buildings making golden level fragments doesn't bother me. Do well in an event, get those 30-60 fragment grand prizes, for example, to help reduce time to get Gold, I can deal with too. Now, like everyone, of course I want the Gold level ASAP, like right after the event.

Honey just posted about Kracken/Virgo as I was writing the above so I will share another guess of mine. I think they also looked at GBs and are making some just sitting there now actually have some use. SBC would be specifically for GE5, Virgo can apply to RED battles, although it doesn't have that many charges. Virgo is definitely a GE5 helper in later stages of the level. Deal Castle? yea sure but I am still not sold on the size versus the need so I will keep this one on the shelf. Kracken gains more value too, taking out that 1 unit in wave 1 is a goods saver. It can make the difference on that encounter you are borderline to beat. Beat it, save goods. NOW, if they change it? wow, that would be cruel, would move portraits to #3 on the hate list, still keeping diamond heist #1 (this one hard to beat), and make that possible nerf a strong #2.

One thing I am telling guildmates, if you do GE5, get your baseline, how far can you attack and what will the goods cost be to nego more.
Here is my goods cheat sheet, it is based on having to do 19 resources per encounter. I am finding that I am doing it for less, want to say 10% based on a looksy (looksies are not 100% accurate, need a few more weeks). Also, E5/9/13, I spend the goods for -1 resource. In theory it should be a tad easier but it all depends, I have had to spend 10D on it, was not happy but it does help most of the time.

Encountergood costX19A- cum costB- fight then negoFort cost
1​
10​
190​
190​
11628​
30​
2​
16​
304​
494​
11438​
50​
3​
20​
380​
874​
11134​
60​
4​
40​
760​
1634​
10754​
150​
5​
20​
380​
2014​
9994​
60​
6​
27​
513​
2527​
9614​
80​
7​
31​
589​
3116​
9101​
90​
8​
53​
1007​
4123​
8512​
190​
9​
30​
570​
4693​
7505​
90​
10​
38​
722​
5415​
6935​
110​
11​
42​
798​
6213​
6213​
120​
12​
65​
1235​
7448​
5415​
240​
13​
40​
760​
8208​
4180​
110​
14​
49​
931​
9139​
3420​
140​
15​
53​
1007​
10146​
2489​
150​
16​
78​
1482​
11628​
1482​
280​

A=the cumulative cost as if you negotiated the whole thing
B=battle first then nego the rest.... lets say you battle thru E5, then negotiate the rest, that number 9614 would be the high spot cost to negotiate the rest, so cumulative with a spin but I think a better number to look at
The table does not take into account doing -1 resource on E5/9/13 but you do save.

I am also leading the negotiations on my first attempt with my current era goods. I am finding I spend less previous era so not 50% each. I need more time with this one to see how it plays out. I do this because my CF makes current era so replacement is easier versus getting previous era. BUT, those fortifications can ask for mostly previous era goods, like that nasty siege camp wanting 2999 of a low treasury good, even worse, 3 slots on an important province.

Now, I have taken the approach to get myself to win E8,12 (E16, forget it for now, need the others before it first) because those have goods spikes. I have used the Great warrior temple, A/D and Infiltration temple, that cost and winning the battle is cheaper than negotiating those spikes.

Another thing about negotiating,
1) if you get 3 green on your first attempt, that isn't so good, it can be a diamond trap because you only have 2 spaces left to evaluate 5 completely unknown resources which uses at least 2 more attempts. Caution here, I may do it to see if I get 2 yellows, then I can complete. I may NOT do it on E12/16, the goods spike.
2) if you get 2 green 1 yellow, similar to 3 green, but now you have 3 open spaces to evaluate unknown resources, better odds but I think still less than 50%, may be worth an attempt or two

If you get lucky and win those 2 by trying, please don't go out and buy a lottery ticket, the two are not related...LOLOL

It is funny, I used to nego a lot just because I liked it. I completely forgot about the "3 green punt" rule I had and it caught me the first week, spent 30D bcs I was stubborn (lol) and mad at myself bcs I remembered after the 20D spent. Since then, I spend about 10-20 D per week and I nego E12 to 16. I am lower age, ME and CA but I have previous era goods so I can add defending A/D over time, taking it encounter by encounter, one step at a time.

I wanted to include the table above to help quantify the cost. AND, AND, assume every 2 negos = 10 diamonds, never forget it, but I think it is a high estimate, I am seeing less (right now, I could have bad weeks in the future).

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

So that's 50 squares of your city only useful in GE5. (Kraken's effect in other battles is negligible at best, I sold the one in my main city several weeks ago to make way for more effective buildings.) Then there's 12 squares for the Forgotten Temple. And another 6 for each piece of the Serpent Statue chain that you place. Don't forget the SBC and Star Gazer that you mentioned earlier, another 50 squares. Greater Ritual Flames. Now you're talking about getting close to or exceeding 150 squares of your city almost totally devoted to GE5 that are mostly useless outside of that. The only one of these buildings that I would want in my cities is the Star Gazer, only because I do solo guilds and getting previous era goods without having to find or pay for trades is nice. Not critical, but nice.

Seriously, I can't believe anyone would waste space on the Virgo with it only having such limited attempts. Even at level 80, it only gets 5 tries at about 69% or so. So maybe 3 or 4 battles affected per day. Sometimes less. Occasionally 5. At least the Kraken gives FP. :rolleyes:
Ok, I'm using 150 squares for buildings "almost totally devoted to GE5". Let's think about opportunity cost. I'm in SAJM, my red boosts are 2688%/1713%, I have 22G coins, 12G supplies, 300M medals, 500K FPs, 180 ARC, and my major GBs are near, or at L100. For me, there is no better use for these 150 squares than getting the rewards from GE5.

Pericles the Lion

We get it , you love this garbage now go play your game and let other people discuss the game without you feeling the need to dump your opinion on every single person that dares write on your own personal form. Go away .
I was responding to another player that quoted me. If you don't like reading what I have to say, put me on ignore and your problem will be solved. While you are at it you should put everybody that disagrees with you, or you them, on ignore so you can revel in the notion that everyone agrees with you. :p

Last edited:

Johnny B. Goode

Ok, I'm using 150 squares for buildings "almost totally devoted to GE5". Let's think about opportunity cost. I'm in SAJM, my red boosts are 2688%/1713%, I have 22G coins, 12G supplies, 300M medals, 500K FPs, 180 ARC, and my major GBs are near, or at L100. For me, there is no better use for these 150 squares than getting the rewards from GE5.
So in other words, your opinion on GE5 is irrelevant to the average player. Got it

In other news, nice post, @CDmark! Well written.

Ebeondi Asi

Do you really think that the opinions of top performers are irrelevant to average performers?
I would say that players who has a lot of experience and make comments or suggestions... Should be looked at by newer, less experienced player with a grain of salt, the ideas thought about, looked at from many angles, digested. And if any of what was said is added to that players toolbox. Then they did a good job.

I shake my head at players who think some guru has all the answers. The problem with any one advanced player's advice is they have their own likes. and prejudices. that may not fit a new players game style.
My best advice is think through anything you read, chew on it .. think it over. Do what is best for your own game.

The opposite of players wanting gurus to tell them how to play.. are players who think they know everything, Refuse to listen to anyone else. And fully believe whatever they think is the only truth.

Last edited:

Just An Observer

Since I run the Abort 2000 RQ machine, the cost of Negotiating L5 is just a blip. Doing so lets me score the Castle points in GE and put 100% Fights in GBG, which is where the rewards come in big if you go in big with lots of Fights. Now I do not have to spend space on those GB's that are only good for one level in GE and can use the space for more A/D in GBG.

I spread out Negs over 3 days. That ensures Castle points from Negs when Tue/Wed have no GBG and more Fights in GBG when it is active. On GBG kickoff day, I can do way more for my guild by Fighting, which is way faster than Negs.

Funny to think with so much said in many previous posts about the value of a CF that hardly anyone uses the Abort 2000 RQ machine. It is a VERY powerful tool with multiple uses and lots of rewards.

thathurts

ge level 5 was bang out of order by inno, just a pure cash grab,here is a little hint inno if you want me to spend more cash on this game stop nurfing gbg; and our gbs its that simple