• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Feedback for the Guild Battlegrounds Update 2023

xivarmy

Let's expand your Basketball premise to include Baseball, Football and Hockey. In the 50s, 60s and 70s George Steinbrener was able to BUY a lot of championships with the Yankees. All the major sports leagues then decided to try to create parody mostly by instituting salary caps. For the most part it worked. I think INNO is trying to do the same with FoE by the changes they are making. Based on my above reply to @The Angry Blanket I think they have a long way to go to realize that parody. Parody might come as guilds build up their treasuries, hopefully anyway.
Just as a note, you mean "Parity" not "Parody". "Parody" is a form of comedy that lampoons another work. "Parity" is a situation with even competition.

I do not believe these changes create parity either btw (and I happen to like them). The strongest will still be the strongest.

What they do help with:

- not requiring you to live in the game 24/7 to be competitive. This is not possible for many players, and not desirable for many of those who could.
- enable you to fight back as an outsider by cutting the legs off the middle of the pack who existed off free fights by grace of the top guild farming the map. You may still get HQed, but you can build attrition reduction to break back out now. And it takes two guilds swapping to truly lock you in, which will be harder to find because the middle guilds that routinely helped with that will now be running out of attrition.
- give a reason for the top guilds to care about winning rather than farming so it's less likely they'll even offer other guilds to help them swap. They're more likely to take it all - which is a fair opportunity for anyone to fight back at some point if they want to.
- give a reason for platinum/diamond yoyo guilds to be glad to be in diamond for a season (the tourney grounds) - so perhaps at least those platinum rounds after you get kicked out of diamond will be fun again with some competition :)

xivarmy

This is what is happening all over Q currently. Does this look like fun to Inno ?
View attachment 20809
More fun that what came before. 4th and down have the potential for a competition for spots coming down to the end - one good breakout and they can move on up. Rather than whichever one was picked by #1 to be in the club already being out of range of those who weren't.

They certainly could use to do something about matchmaking too. Perhaps stick the top 8 in the championship standings into one group the next season ;) 5 or so of them would then no longer be in the top 8 the following season and you stick the new top 8 in (which would likely include winners of group 2/3). By the last week of the championship the matchmaking would be pretty fair with new-to-diamond guilds insulated from all the guilds that have won-in-diamond that championship.

More fun that what came before. 4th and down have the potential for a competition for spots coming down to the end - one good breakout and they can move on up. Rather than whichever one was picked by #1 to be in the club already being out of range of those who weren't.

They certainly could use to do something about matchmaking too. Perhaps stick the top 8 in the championship standings into one group the next season ;) 5 or so of them would then no longer be in the top 8 the following season and you stick the new top 8 in (which would likely include winners of group 2/3). By the last week of the championship the matchmaking would be pretty fair with new-to-diamond guilds insulated from all the guilds that have won-in-diamond that championship.
Do you think they would be in this position if they could break out? They, maybe, can take 1 sector if it’s under 300 hits. That is not a run. We used to break out and be able to run the map whilst the other guilds weren’t paying attention and by the time someone came on, we wrecked their farming! So fun. I don’t think we will be doing that now. We enjoyed farming and fighting together now it’s all a bore.

xivarmy

Here's one of the two in the worlds I'm in (high-platinum):

1696622739082.png

The guild in 1st wanted a swap party. As far as I'm aware we were the only guild that said no.

Under prior rules we probably would've been shutdown fairly effectively for doing so and be a few spots lower.

Under these rules, so far we're holding 2nd but have had to work for it, breaking out on a regular basis as we can't outpower the guild in 1st, but can push against any of the other guilds on the map - and it's been fun.

The top 3 will be in diamond next season (3rd low-diamond, top 2 probably diamond-1000). I look forward to seeing how different diamond looks - and would love the chance to be in a group like sharmon posted above :)

Angry.Blanket

There is a chance that some or all of the guilds in Sharmans example are in the top 8, The vast majority of the players in this game do not want to compete, they only want free rewards, And then complain because someone more active is getting more than them.

Sharmon the Impaler

We tried to get the other guilds to join in but they are not interested. We left them the whole quadrant and said to help themselves but nada. The new GBG is a chore now with the much larger sectors. The 80% means that much more have to participate in your guild but we will not ruin our happy home for a few more rewards.

Amitola1

Just as a note, you mean "Parity" not "Parody". "Parody" is a form of comedy that lampoons another work. "Parity" is a situation with even competition.

I do not believe these changes create parity either btw (and I happen to like them). The strongest will still be the strongest.

What they do help with:

- not requiring you to live in the game 24/7 to be competitive. This is not possible for many players, and not desirable for many of those who could.
- enable you to fight back as an outsider by cutting the legs off the middle of the pack who existed off free fights by grace of the top guild farming the map. You may still get HQed, but you can build attrition reduction to break back out now. And it takes two guilds swapping to truly lock you in, which will be harder to find because the middle guilds that routinely helped with that will now be running out of attrition.
- give a reason for the top guilds to care about winning rather than farming so it's less likely they'll even offer other guilds to help them swap. They're more likely to take it all - which is a fair opportunity for anyone to fight back at some point if they want to.
- give a reason for platinum/diamond yoyo guilds to be glad to be in diamond for a season (the tourney grounds) - so perhaps at least those platinum rounds after you get kicked out of diamond will be fun again with some competition :)
Agreed. So Parity it is. As the GBG leader of a small guild I have found this change to be to my liking mostly. I especially like the tier buildings since you can better plan how to conduct GBG. The one thing I dislike is the buildings they kept in GBG. The Decoys and Traps are only negative and the Watchtower doesn't really do much of anything. I do like the Field Camps since they allow you to gain extra vp but am not in favor of the Fortified Field Camp since it gives too much so I plan to opt for the Improvised Field Camp or the Field Camp. At least for now. I can see a use for the Fortified Field Camp under the right conditions.

xivarmy

Do you think they would be in this position if they could break out? They, maybe, can take 1 sector if it’s under 300 hits. That is not a run. We used to break out and be able to run the map whilst the other guilds weren’t paying attention and by the time someone came on, we wrecked their farming! So fun. I don’t think we will be doing that now. We enjoyed farming and fighting together now it’s all a bore.
I don't think they'd make it to diamond at all if they were incapable of breaking out given unlimited time to take the first province (which a 1-guild dominated map is pretty close to unlimited time). Uninterested in doing so is the most likely case.

Breakouts are now easier than they used to be, even without the HQ building, because any sector is capable of giving good support on what's next to it - so even if you have to do a hard fight for the first province, if you time that such that you have a shield across reset, you can chain things out.

So I don't think it impossible that sometime in the last weekend someone goes "hey, we could place higher with a little work, come on guys, let's go!"

And if platinum livens up (which so far appears to be happening), you may have more feisty guilds in diamond in future rounds if coasting to stay there by kissing the right ass is no longer a thing :p

Lafawnduh

Something for the devs to adjust - the "first place" reward actually covers guild chat on PC when you're on the GBG map, where you can't actually read the chat.

You
I don't think they'd make it to diamond at all if they were incapable of breaking out given unlimited time to take the first province (which a 1-guild dominated map is pretty close to unlimited time). Uninterested in doing so is the most likely case.

Breakouts are now easier than they used to be, even without the HQ building, because any sector is capable of giving good support on what's next to it - so even if you have to do a hard fight for the first province, if you time that such that you have a shield across reset, you can chain things out.

So I don't think it impossible that sometime in the last weekend someone goes "hey, we could place higher with a little work, come on guys, let's go!"

And if platinum livens up (which so far appears to be happening), you may have more feisty guilds in diamond in future rounds if coasting to stay there by kissing the right ass is no longer a thing :p
you are in Platnium now, correct? Wait until it’s 300-400 hits to complete one sector! it’s a long drag!

Dursland

From mooingcat's discord server that I'm too lazy to turn into a proper post.

Dursland — Today at 6:33 PM
so i'm seeing on forums and people posting their 1+ million VP while the other guild isn't over 200k
[6:33 PM]
meanwhile in dilmun, we continue to coop and getting more hits than ever. this is looking to be my second-ever 5k hits/season
[6:34 PM]
#1 has 421k vp, #2 has 401k vp, #3 has 391k vp
[6:34 PM]
i have tourney grounds already. and i'm not HAU lol
[6:35 PM]
almost every tile is 20%, a few are 40%. thats as bad as it gets
[6:35 PM]
lrn2work the system

Be Chuille

My GBG isn't as bad as some others, but you can tell who wants first.

View attachment 20815

Hey! That's OUR leaderboard!! LOL Yep you want first LOL.
The only reason that anyone has the scores we do in 2nd, 3rd and 4th is because the guild in #1 is being nice and letting us get some hits.
#1 could easily run the map if they wanted to, even with the changes.

Last edited:

PJS299

Hey! That's OUR leaderboard!! LOL Yep you want first LOL.
The only reason that anyone has the scores we do in 2nd, 3rd and 4th is because the guild in #1 is being nice and letting us get some hits.
#1 could easily run the map if the wanted to, even with the changes.
We've been trying to collab with FoC, but I think it fell apart. We were also letting other guilds take sectors, but trying to shut down NTD at the same time... And then Relics have done nothing, don't know what's up with that... SD could take 3rd if you push hard enough.

Be Chuille

We've been trying to collab with FoC, but I think it fell apart. We were also letting other guilds take sectors, but trying to shut down NTD at the same time... And then Relics have done nothing, don't know what's up with that... SD could take 3rd if you push hard enough.
Won't happen. Guilds with the biggest treasuries get the higher scores now that buildings boost VP. We are not going to be able to catch up.

Amitola1

If this is Diamond then I guess there is still room to coop/ally in Diamond with the right guilds working with other guilds just like before the change. Is that correct?