• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Tranir

In observing the forum in my first week here it appears that there are very few active participants. I hear from fellow guildmates, neighbors and friends that this has not been very active in a while. My question is this the overall general sentiment inside the forum as well? Also, in trying to understand the useful purpose of the forums I'd love to hear from anyone on what they perceive to be their most useful tools or greatest benefit here.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

There are a few dozen regulars, a bunch of one time new posters, and that is about it.
The one time posters are usually new players who think they have discovered something or are wanting something that has been asked for a thousand times already.
It is a rather sour bunch. as we all are jaded from the endless silliness.

Tranir

At first someone told me that it was pretty inactive, but I found the opposite

I've been on a week and it's seeming like a ghost town. In speaking with my plethora players in game I often get feedback that they never use it. So far out of 88 friends and 61 guildmates there are only 4 that every use it. 2 of them say they haven't been on in several months. I'd like to help the interest around here but am trying to gather information to that affect.

Tranir

There are a few dozen regulars, a bunch of one time new posters, and that is about it.
The one time posters are usually new players who think they have discovered something or are wanting something that has been asked for a thousand times already.
It is a rather sour bunch. as we all are jaded from the endless silliness.

Well said sir and spot on, definitely NOT a welcoming atmosphere to newcomers. In your opinion what might help to improve that?

tigerkitkat

Can only people in the us talk to each other in the forum or even in the game in the friends list. Or can some one in India talk to someone in the us, I was just wondering because there is a different page form most countires?

Gypsy Grace

This forum has been a valuable source of information regarding regular game strategy, great building advice, and tips/helps on special events. I found guild information for one of my farm cities and I have added friends to my lists that I otherwise wouldn't have met. I enjoy the joke of the day and participate in the word games from time to time.

You are the one with concerns regarding the atmosphere and usefulness of the forum. What do you think would improve the forum?

Edited to add: this comment has been edited by a moderator.

Last edited:

Kranyar the Mysterious

Well said sir and spot on, definitely NOT a welcoming atmosphere to newcomers. In your opinion what might help to improve that?
If new players would do basic searches before posting ideas (the fact they don't post them in the correct format, or close, just goes to show they don't even read the faq little alone do a search) that would help.

If support would stop sending them here to post their same ideas over and over, giving the impression that developers actually look at the forums, that would help.

If developers actually interacted in their forums with players (like in devs do in 90% of the games out there), that would make a world of difference. Heck, if devs even gave their community managers basic information to relay, instead of silence, that would help tremendously.

The fact is that the higher-ups don't care about their players or the forums beyond posting up pre-set notices. You can't expect players to not get jaded here when there is no developer interaction, and we've had the same conversations here a million times. And that is why this game is now starting to die. The devs just don't care about this game anymore beyond the minimum maintenance needed to milk as much money as possible for as long as possible. Other newer games are getting most of their attention and resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny B. Goode

Can only people in the us talk to each other in the forum or even in the game in the friends list. Or can some one in India talk to someone in the us, I was just wondering because there is a different page form most countires?
Through the Forum or in-game you can talk to people from around the world. I live in the central US and have had conversations with players from around the world. Just a few examples of countries of players I have talked to are Norway, Indonesia, Nigeria, England. I'm sure there are many others, but those I remember specifically.

EDIT: It might help you to know that anyone with an internet connection (or mobile access) can choose any of the FoE servers worldwide to play on. Language might be an issue, but the game is open to all.

Tranir

If new players would do basic searches before posting ideas (the fact they don't post them in the correct format, or close, just goes to show they don't even read the faq little alone do a search) that would help.

If support would stop sending them here to post their same ideas over and over, giving the impression that developers actually look at the forums, that would help.

If developers actually interacted in their forums with players (like in devs do in 90% of the games out there), that would make a world of difference. Heck, if devs even gave their community managers basic information to relay, instead of silence, that would help tremendously.

The fact is that the higher-ups don't give a rats *** about their players or the forums beyond posting up pre-set notices. You can't expect players to not get jaded here when there is no developer interaction, and we've had the same conversations here a million times. And that is why this game is now starting to die. The devs just don't care about this game anymore beyond the minimum maintenance needed to milk as much money as possible for as long as possible. Other newer games are getting most of their attention and resources.

Sad but I think your sentiments are true. The game definitely seems to be dyeing. We see MAJOR players leaving the game now which is especially sad when you've been with them for over 8 years. It's a surprising/ shocking sadness when they go. Something I would have never expected when I started 3,077 days ago. I've met so many people from so many walks of life and such nice people too. It seems that this forum could help in bringing back that once great feeling of comradery but so far it's missing that mark.

Tranir

Through the Forum or in-game you can talk to people from around the world. I live in the central US and have had conversations with players from around the world. Just a few examples of countries of players I have talked to are Norway, Indonesia, Nigeria, England. I'm sure there are many others, but those I remember specifically.

EDIT: It might help you to know that anyone with an internet connection (or mobile access) can choose any of the FoE servers worldwide to play on. Language might be an issue, but the game is open to all.

I love that positive feedback. It's the sentiment that made this game great in the first place.

tigerkitkat

Thanks for the answer.

DevaCat

Activity in the Forum ebbs and flows depending on what else is going on at the time. Given the time frame of your 1 week experience here it may simply be a matter of players being more involved in the current Event tasks than in engaging in the Forum.

Larger numbers of members turn out (for better or worse) when they perceive their gameplay interests are being impacted by an actual or possible change to the game - an example would be when Inno stated they would no longer be committing resources to improving GvG and a minority stirred the pot with false statements that Inno was ending GvG. Think hornet’s nest - the number of members interacting spiked.

As to being welcoming or not to newcomers, I think it really depends on how the newcomer comes into the forum. Having taken some time to visit as a Guest and becoming familiar with how the Forum works certainly helps pave the way to a positive welcome. There are many members quite willing and happy to share what they have learned with newcomers to help improve their games. Those who enter the Forum with a chip on their shoulder, who dispute and dismiss and disrespect the opinions of other members (of greater game experience) will generally receive the sort of welcome they deserve. In the end it all comes down to how one conducts oneself.

Now, I have noticed the same lack of Forum participation among members of the guilds I’m in. Yet if you scroll down to see the numbers of members and guests online at any given time, it’s obvious many people are coming here for information and people here are concerned that the information presented is accurate. Some newcomers get bent out of shape when told what they just posted is wrong - go figure.

Emberguard

just because the devs aren’t actively participating in forums doesn’t mean stuff isn’t getting forwarded to the devs through the forums though. That’s the whole point of sending players to the forums

Kranyar the Mysterious

just because the devs aren’t actively participating in forums doesn’t mean stuff isn’t getting forwarded to the devs through the forums though. That’s the whole point of sending players to the forums
And yet when those players come here to post their idea, 99.99% of the time their post gets locked for multiple reasons, and the player never posts here again. Are you saying that info is still getting forwarded? I seriously doubt it, but you would certainly know, and if you say it is so I'll accept your word.