• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GB FP Exchanges

Aloysius the Wise

Hello All. I still consider myself a newbie in FOE and FOE Forum. So if this has been asked before, I apologize. But can somebody explain how the GB FP Exchange system (within the guild, of course) works? Also, since I am sure I will be getting many opinions, which is fine and welcome, please include the Pros & Cons of said system? TIA!

RazorbackPirate

There are two basic systems in most guilds. Swap threads and 1.9 threads.

Swap threads are where you post your GB on a thread with a specific denomination, 20 FPs for example. You add 20 FPs to the last GB on the thread, then post yours which becomes the last one on the thread the next player adds to before posting their GB. This thread is good for early players with lower level GBs. It allows you to add to GBs in small amounts while having the possibility to earn blueprints on wanted GBs and reward spots, when earned, of course. Without earning rewards, this kind of thread is net zero, every FP you place on another's GB gets added back to your GB. When used right, it can be a net positive to your FP balance from the FP rewards you receive.

1.9 Threads are built around a Level 80 Arc GB, which multiplies the rewards received from contributing to other's GBs by 90%, meaning if a reward spot normally pays out 100 FPs, Arc 80 owners will receive 190 FPs for locking that spot. 1.9 threads are build around Arc 80 owners contributing 1.9% for each of the reward spots. If the Reward spot pays 100 FPs, the Arc 80 owner will pay 190 FPs on that spot knowing they'll get all those FPs back giving them a net zero loss/return on FPs. 1.9 threads are great for players with mid to high level GBs as it allows you to grab the maximum donations to their GBs, leaving them less to contribute. For those with Arc 80s, they get the rewards of extra blueprints to raise their own GBs, and extra medals to buy expansions to enlarge their city.

In a good guild, both types of threads can coexist with no issues. There are guilds however, that use them to exploit new players, having mastered the art of sucking FPs out of naïve, unsuspecting, guild mates.

Johnny B. Goode

Just a word of caution should you choose to use the swap threads: in a fast moving swap thread it’s much better to post your GB first, securing your position in the thread, and then immediately place the required fps on the GB above yours in the thread.
I've found that even that doesn't guarantee avoiding problems. The only foolproof way is for each person to post their GB, exit the thread, then open the thread again and donate to the GB immediately above theirs. Exiting/reopening the thread sorts any simultaneous postings, which is the issue with fast moving swap threads. If you don't exit/reopen the thread, two people could post simultaneously and both donate to the same GB, meaning one of them gets shortchanged and the previous poster gets a double donation.

Ebeondi Asi

The problem with swap threads is that the highest FP players will nearly always win all rewards. So the little fish newbies come out net zero, the middle level players might gain a few rewards if they know how to 'pick and choose' the players they add to.. and the fat cats haul in all the big rewards. Swap thread are not a net zero for the high FP players, For high FP players Swap threads are a gold mine.

The other problem with swap threads is they also are a gold mine to snipers. A sniper who is watching a player grow the points on a GB can swoop in at just the right time and take an unassailable (locked) position for a big profit. To the newbie GB owner this does not matter. It is the other players in the swap group who are being stolen from when they lose that payout. This is somewhat depends on now many players take part in the swap thread. many players dilute the chance to thwart sniping. (understanding this you need to understand 1.9 and lock)

A big plus of swaps is not having to figure anything difficult out. Except the usual cheats (players who do not pay!) or mixups. (paying the wrong person) plus not having to wait.. Swaps you can place immediately. no waiting. (unless you are trying to win positions and choose to wait for the players you are 'working' to win positions in the swap)

The problem with 1.9 is 1.9 calculations and understanding lock, and how much the owner has to donate. so all slightly complicated math. The 1.9 donations only work well for a player with at least a level 80 Arc. So newbies are not prepaed to pay into a 1.9 for rewards. Since the reward is dependent on owning a level 80 or higher Arc. (Once a players Arc is up to level 60 though, usually you can take part if you really want the prints offered, that may make the loss in FPs worthwhile At level 60 you get back 1.8 instead of 1.9 and at Arc level 70 you get back 1.85 instead of 1.9)
Some Guilds have a 1.85 thread rather than a 1.9 so more players can take part)
Players without a level 80 Arc (or level 60) can place their Great Buildings into a 1.9 and have others fill the positions with no loss, but the Group donating has to agree that they will allow players to do that. (the usual is to both add Fp to others and let them add to your GB. But realize players with a higher than 1.9 Arc can make a profit even in the owner does not also put FPs on others GBs.
(and there are some who object to others with really high Arc making a profit in 1.9 that is a different issue than this thread, more to do with envy that any actual 1.9 problem)

Johnny B. Goode

The other problem with swap threads is they also are a gold mine to snipers. A sniper who is watching a player grow the points on a GB can swoop in at just the right time and take an unassailable (locked) position for a big profit. To the newbie GB owner this does not matter. It is the other players in the swap group who are being stolen from when they lose that payout. This is somewhat depends on now many players take part in the swap thread. many players dilute the chance to thwart sniping. (understanding this you need to understand 1.9 and lock)
See this is the biggest negative impact of the hyper leveled Arc. Before the Arc, these swaps were usually pretty safe, and they were a mainstay of many, if not most, guilds. Once the Arc kicked in, however, snipers started having a field day with them and the problem you mention ballooned.

The problem with swap threads is that the highest FP players will nearly always win all rewards. So the little fish newbies come out net zero, the middle level players might gain a few rewards if they know how to 'pick and choose' the players they add to.. and the fat cats haul in all the big rewards. Swap thread are not a net zero for the high FP players, For high FP players Swap threads are a gold mine.
I have tried to explain this to people in several guilds who don't understand why I hate swap threads, they never seem to get it. New players who haven't managed to get an Arc, and people who have less time to be online or who play at odd hours will always get screwed when it comes to this stuff. New players are encouraged to join these threads, but if they are lucky enough to get rewards, they will almost always end up paying way more than they get back. People who are online all the time will swap back and forth for ages, someone who can't do this will never get enough points on the GB to get rewards.

I find it is better to try and find people who mostly self level, add these people to friends list and donate when you see the GB is almost finished leveling. Chances are good that you can lock a position without losing much or anything. This is how I have managed to get prints for all the GBs I needed when I start a city. There may also be some guilds that offer up the 4th and 5th places to newer players after doing 1.9 for the other positions but you would probably still have to pay out way more than you get back, also people with high level Arcs tend to be rather greedy so this method is probably rare to find nowadays.