• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GE lvl 5 gameplay balancing

Pericles the Lion

On reflection, I think Inno would make better gameplay decisions if they had yearly sales targets to hit rather than weekly sales targets or monthly.
I don't know how this is relevant but I would bet that INNO, like every other business, establishes annual revenue and profit budgets. As a publicly traded company they are kinda obligated to do so. Daily sales targets build to weekly....weekly to monthly....monthly to annual.

Smeorail

You're right Emberguard, and yes, you're right Mr Lion. I have no idea what the solution is, but I'm not sure I'm quite communicating clearly here either, so let me set some context and background to what I'm trying to say.

I've been away a long time and there have been some major changes. One of the biggest problems back then was new players quitting because they kept getting stuck. They would rush through the Bronze and Iron ages, slog their way through EMA and get bogged down in HMA, no goods, no happiness, no supplies, no gold, couldn't unlock techs, couldn't win any battles, couldn't do anything, so they would quit. It was a major problem, The Oracle was a godsend for new players, gave them happiness and supplies, and the Castle system absolutely nailed the problem. Now it's impossible for new players to get stuck, even if they rush ahead, the oracle and the Castle system are just excellent. I think whoever came up with the Castle system is a genius who has probably made Inno millions in extra revenue by solving the problem of new players quitting the game and should be paid a massive bonus or given shares in the company.

Then there is the Antiques Dealer. Again it's greatly enhanced the game and gives players the chance to clear their inventories of all the shite they pick up in events. Personally I think it's overpowered and shouldn't have any special or event buildings available. I think event buildings should only be available through events and the AD actually loses revenue as folks don't have to play events to get nice buildings. But it's excellent, and really helps new players by being able to pick up things like confectionaries to solve their supplies issues.

There are plenty of Reno and OneUp fragments in GE now so Inno have made it easier for new players to advance through the ages and keep their special buildings up to date. Again, a really excellent change that helps new players and discourages camping. The AD being only available in EMA is also an excellent move as it discourages camping in the Iron age and keeps bullies away from new players.

See, it's new players I'm thinking about here. I'm not advocating a change to GE, it was perfect before level 5, and yes, new players could beat expert players by beating them to 64/48. However, I feel level 5 has made that now impossible.

I'm trying to find a way to encourage NEW players to learn GE in a competitive environment and get to love it. There must be a way :)

Last edited:

Pericles the Lion

I'm trying to find a way to encourage NEW players to learn GE in a competitive environment and get to love it. There must be a way :)
I think that you are on step #67 in how to encourage new players to stick with the game when you should be focusing on step #1 which is find a good Guild and join it. A big problem is that new players don't have a clue what a good Guild is. They may get lucky but, most often, they join a crappy open enrollment Guild with a small number of mostly inactive members. They think that this is how things are when they couldn't be more wrong. Membership in a truly good Guild is the best solution to the concerns that you have. And, if I may be blunt, you should promptly change guilds on both worlds that you play. Membership in 4-player Guilds may be okay for advanced, end game, players but it's a road to failure for new players.

Emberguard

If the end goal is to have a competitive environment, that means they need an opponent relative to their abilities. But just as important if not more so, they need to be wanting to push their own limits. If they're not pushing their limits then there's no competition to be had

With that in mind you could maybe look at what the Guilds average % completion rate was during the last 3-6 weeks or whatever number you want to use. Sort by Guild size first, then sort by % to Guilds that are still a similar size.

Alternatively maybe Cup wins could be looked at for a secondary criteria

Beyond that, Pericles is right that to be competitive the easiest way is to join a competitive Guild (and try to match or exceed their energy)

Dursland

All you have to do is tell new players they can get diamonds in GE4 lol - up to 360 every week.

Edit: Or is it 270? I can't remember if it's 3 chests or 4.

Last edited:

Emberguard

Can you autobattle through GE5? :rolleyes:
I can autobattle about halfway in Oceanic. 438 / 521 stats at the moment. I was able to start auto-battling somewhere around the 3-400 range.

If I get the defense around 1k using blue bottles I can reach the last 5 battles on Autobattle battle before I have to switch over to negotiations. Obviously won't be possible for much longer due to the bottles not being stackable in one of the updates, but at least I know I can do it with those stats

Ebeondi Asi

Keep working on those blue stats. Blue stat GbG ** soon going to be upon us...
**in some form or other.totally unknown mechanics a this point

Dominator - X

I don't know about @Dursland but I'm at 1730/2127, in SAT, and can only autobattle up through encounter 58. The last 2 are manual but I'm getting closer every season.
You should try to use all 8 troops or a different lineup. Most SAT players I know can get to the high 70's by using the Auto Battle option with less boost than you posted here.

Sharmon the Impaler

From Sept 14th in the main GE 5 thread "I autobattled GE5 to the end for the first time with no boosts at all this season with 2612/2482 def stats in SAT so there is an end point"

This was my first successfull complete autobattle with no boosts so you will need something close to this if you are in SAT , I am currently at 3093/3347 defense.

Pericles the Lion

The best balancing you could do is get rid of level 5, it is destroying GE and damaging the game.
I think that there are a lot of players that would disagree with you. In both of my primary cities, over 50% of my guildmates complete L5 every week with a bunch more getting very close. There was a lot of complaining when it was first introduced but, with a little work and planning, L5 hasn't been the "disaster" that many predicted.

Smeorail

Hi Mr Lion, I've just posted a new discussion on what I believe is the most important age in Forge of Empires and I explain myself in there. I certainly don't wish to hold back experienced players like you from enjoying the game.

honey55

The best balancing you could do is get rid of level 5, it is destroying GE and damaging the game.
I don't agree. I like ge5. Also lots in my guild do at least some of ge5. It appears other guilds do too as we've come in 2nd when having i believe 110%. It has definitely pushed players in my guild to be able to do ge5. I think that's a good thing

Ebeondi Asi

My guilds all are doing well with GE 5. The funny part is the naysayers will flip when Blue boost hits GbG. It is going make all you GE 5 deniers cry and wring your hands even more. Why not make some attempt to get with the program? .Oh I forgot, you would rather whine than make an effort.
I keep forgetting you are all only three years old. Sorry. The Adults will manage just fine.

Smeorail

Yeah, I hear you, I guess I posted this comment in the wrong place at the wrong time. Please read my new discussion on The Most Important Age in Forge of Empires. I'm not trying to spoil the game for you :)