• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Guild vs Guild : Would you care...

Would you care if GvG was discontinued?

• What is Guild vs Guild?

• Not at all.

• Yes, but I would continue playing FOE.

• Yes, and I would probably or would quit FOE.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Flavius Belisarius

You've summed up the key issue with GvG. You're in the #2 Guild on your world. 63 members but only 7 participate in GvG. It's not a priority in your guild, it's just the interest of a few dedicated long-term players...but just a few.
So the Guild recruits and supports a GVG Army and the Leaders are okay with that.
In the Guild I just left there were about 7-8 full-time (daily with Thousands of battles) while the remaining 60 were spread from 50-5or600 battles a season.
How Guilds play is not reflective of how each player enjoys the game.

wangeaux

GVG was the best part of FOE. It had strategy, teamwork, alliances, a goal to reach as a team (guild). everyone had a role to play in all ages and around the world. It required guilds to watch the maps around the clock. at one time so we would recruit people from all time zones. FOE neglected GVG and let it get outdated. All they had to do was go back to some of the older rules on GVG with sectors opening up earlier than 24 hrs and giving out rewards like they do for farming in GBG. FOE is now just a farming game for mindless clicking of the mouse. All you phone players will never know how much fun it was to scheme against other guilds and the strategies it required to be succesfull in the game back in the day. FOE forgot that the game was a war/strategy game in the beginning and they lost sight of their roots.

Guilds and players have years invested in GVG and it seems like FOE is just going to flush all that effort, money and time away for alot of us old timers. It really is unfair in that many guilds worked hard to make it to number one on the leader board. and some never gave up trying. all those prestige points and all those fights were for nothing. FOE you have really hurt the people who put you on the map and we are trully disgusted with the changes you have made to the game. What ever this new feature is going to be should incorporate the scores and prestige points and all the work that so many have done for so many years. If it dosent you have screwed over your most loyal players.

Johnny B. Goode

GVG was the best part of FOE. It had strategy, teamwork, alliances, a goal to reach as a team (guild). everyone had a role to play in all ages and around the world.
Maybe you haven't been paying attention, but GBG has pretty much all of that.
It required guilds to watch the maps around the clock.
That part was years ago. I haven't seen anyone mention that in at least 6 or 7 years. Everyone knows that GvG is centered around recalc time and only solo or small guild players do much outside of that one time per day.
FOE neglected GVG and let it get outdated.
Yep. Starting in 2015...8 years ago. You just noticed?
All they had to do was go back to some of the older rules on GVG with sectors opening up earlier than 24 hrs
That would have to be really old, because the one recalc time has been a thing since at least 2015 when I started.
FOE is now just a farming game for mindless clicking of the mouse.
This is about the only valid statement in your entire post.
All you phone players will never know how much fun it was to scheme against other guilds and the strategies it required to be succesfull in the game back in the day.
They have GBG, it has much of the scheming and strategizing that GvG has had.
FOE forgot that the game was a war/strategy game in the beginning and they lost sight of their roots.
This is only half true. GvG was not part of the original FoE, and FoE is and always has been a city/empire building game with a fighting aspect as part of it.
Guilds and players have years invested in GVG and it seems like FOE is just going to flush all that effort, money and time away for alot of us old timers. It really is unfair in that many guilds worked hard to make it to number one on the leader board. and some never gave up trying. all those prestige points and all those fights were for nothing.
Not for nothing. GvG guilds/players have dominated the rankings for most of the game's history, despite GvG not being available to most players. You got your ranking and bragging rights, which is all you ever paid/worked for. And you still get to keep the guild levels that GvG got you.
FOE you have really hurt the people who put you on the map and we are trully disgusted with the changes you have made to the game.
First, GvG did not put FoE "on the map", the main game did that. GvG is just a feature of the game, and not even the main one anymore. (In fact, it was the main feature for only a relatively short time before it was basically frozen in time.) If you haven't noticed, the game has kept growing long after GvG development was abandoned. Second, lots of us who don't do GvG, or just barely do it, are also disgusted with many of the changes to the game over the last several years. Personally, I miss the Historical Events way more than I'll ever miss GvG.

Emberguard

That would have to be really old, because the one recalc time has been a thing since at least 2015 when I started.

No, this was July - November 2019. Pretty sure only EN and Beta got it though

Beta announcement: https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/guild-vs-guild-improvements.10580/

EN announcement: https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/guild-vs-guild-improvements-update.37887/

Innogames trialed 4-hr recalc times. Eventually changed it to 3 recalc times, trialed that, released Guild Battlegrounds Sep 26th (Beta) / Nov 14th (EN) and reversed the recalc times for GvG Nov 18th (Beta) / Nov 26th (EN)

Arya66

Wow... people didn't care about my Poll until it actually happened. I never thought it would be discontinued, I was just curious! I think everyone should give Raids a chance before heading out! You never know! (Before you ask, no, I did not play GvG more than one or two times)

Angry.Blanket

Wow... people didn't care about my Poll until it actually happened. I never thought it would be discontinued, I was just curious! I think everyone should give Raids a chance before heading out! You never know! (Before you ask, no, I did not play GvG more than one or two times)
People liked GvG and its gone now, Why take a chance on liking Raids?

Darkest.Knight

Have to actually participate to have a meaningful opinion, people complain about everything though; it's not just in this game. As I stated before it would be difficult to be worse than GvG; if I can do a few fights when I need them it will be at least as good.

Johnny B. Goode

No, this was July - November 2019. Pretty sure only EN and Beta got it though

Beta announcement: https://forum.beta.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/guild-vs-guild-improvements.10580/

EN announcement: https://forum.en.forgeofempires.com/index.php?threads/guild-vs-guild-improvements-update.37887/

Innogames trialed 4-hr recalc times. Eventually changed it to 3 recalc times, trialed that, released Guild Battlegrounds Sep 26th (Beta) / Nov 14th (EN) and reversed the recalc times for GvG Nov 18th (Beta) / Nov 26th (EN)
Did I really need to specify ON THE US SERVERS????? The only change to recalc times on the US servers was a short time when they changed it to 8 AM instead of 8 PM, which was quickly reversed when it met with almost universal disaproval. There has never been anything but a 24 hour recalc time on the US servers since at least early 2015. This is the US Forum, not the Beta or EN Forum.

Emberguard

Did I really need to specify ON THE US SERVERS?????

Well.... the person you replied to was talking about earlier than 24 hrs, and that was the only instance I could recall
anissalol_30px.png

Lord Farquad 42

This is an arrogant (and ignorant) statement. People don't like GvG for many reasons, but not understanding it is not even on the first page of reasons.

Been there, done that, still didn't like it.

This may be true for you, but not for the majority of players.

Like GvG is the only way to build personal connections. :rolleyes:

They didn't say "accounts", they said "active players". Which certainly implies that they differentiate between active and inactive, and they are the only ones who really know which is which.
Clearly, you know all.

Johnny B. Goode

Clearly, you know all.
Know all? Not by a long shot. However, I have been on the Forum for 8 1/2 years and seen many discussions of the pros and cons of GvG. I have also communicated with many, many players in-game over the years about GvG (and many other things.) I didn't just come on here with an agenda and make statements based only on my own narrow view of GvG. Which is why I called your statement about people "not understanding" GvG arrogant and ignorant. And that's not even getting into your ridiculous view that GvG is the only way to build personal connections.

Lord Farquad 42

And that's not even getting into your ridiculous view that GvG is the only way to build personal connections.
Didn't say that. Just because you are on a forum for 8.5 years means... what? Just because I have not posted on this forum for the time I have played does not mean that I have not been here lurking. I've seen the posts, and I have lived it in several guilds on multiple worlds. I'll just continue to disagree that any other form of game on FOE develops relationships like GvG. You have to work together daily. All other forms you do not. The countless hours spent talking (texting) with each other each night is what I refer to. Our guild is on for several hours after GvG ends to continue to meet and talk. Without a common time and goal, that will die. Those of use who have lived it know that, and are mourning the loss of something very personal.

There is really no reason Inno had to do this except they don't have the original programmer for GvG anymore and they cannot seem to figure out how to make it work correctly or reasonable other than maintain a broken system. It used to be on mobile on a APP for a while even. So, the argument that it can't work is more a failure on INNOs part to figure it out and make it work. That ended many years ago.

Sharmon the Impaler

Didn't say that. Just because you are on a forum for 8.5 years means... what? Just because I have not posted on this forum for the time I have played does not mean that I have not been here lurking. I've seen the posts, and I have lived it in several guilds on multiple worlds. I'll just continue to disagree that any other form of game on FOE develops relationships like GvG. You have to work together daily. All other forms you do not. The countless hours spent talking (texting) with each other each night is what I refer to. Our guild is on for several hours after GvG ends to continue to meet and talk. Without a common time and goal, that will die. Those of use who have lived it know that, and are mourning the loss of something very personal.

There is really no reason Inno had to do this except they don't have the original programmer for GvG anymore and they cannot seem to figure out how to make it work correctly or reasonable other than maintain a broken system. It used to be on mobile on a APP for a while even. So, the argument that it can't work is more a failure on INNOs part to figure it out and make it work. That ended many years ago.
In Q we lost 4 decade old members and all were the original guild founders in the guilds they were in last week. Inno doesn't have a clue.

coolmite

It does provide an advantage to guilds with browser players in a game with a majority mobile playerbase.
This has always been my problem with GvG. It was the main deciding factor in the guild ranking of the top 15ish guilds. They all have similar points from level and similar points from GbG. The only difference was how active they were in GvG. But GvG is only open to a fraction of the game population. I like GvG, but you can't make the main ranking system dependent on a feature only available to half the players.

Johnny B. Goode

Didn't say that. Just because you are on a forum for 8.5 years means... what? Just because I have not posted on this forum for the time I have played does not mean that I have not been here lurking.
It means that I have been part of the discussions over the years, not just an onlooker. It's hilarious, really. You think that those who don't like GvG "don't understand it", yet you think "lurking" gives you the same understanding as someone who actually participates in the discussions. I think you understand GvG. I don't think you understand the vast majority of players who don't do GvG. You certainly don't understand how relationships work if you think GvG is the only way to connect with other players. I've had connections with lots of players over the years. Only once was it about GvG. They were special while they lasted, and when it was time we all moved on. Now appears to be that time for you. If anything, you should be thankful that you got that much out of GvG. The majority of us got nothing except main game lag from GvG.

Flavius Belisarius

In Q we lost 4 decade old members and all were the original guild founders in the guilds they were in last week. Inno doesn't have a clue.
The 2015 Memorial Event was an event that ran from September 10, 2015 to September 18, 2015. This mini event is a tribute to Anwar Dalati, the lead game designer of InnoGames, who recently passed away.
Need his doppelganger back.
Still have the Speakers Corner.

Attachments

• gvgmaster.png
    gvgmaster.png
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Galechade

It means that I have been part of the discussions over the years, not just an onlooker. It's hilarious, really. You think that those who don't like GvG "don't understand it", yet you think "lurking" gives you the same understanding as someone who actually participates in the discussions. I think you understand GvG. I don't think you understand the vast majority of players who don't do GvG. You certainly don't understand how relationships work if you think GvG is the only way to connect with other players. I've had connections with lots of players over the years. Only once was it about GvG. They were special while they lasted, and when it was time we all moved on. Now appears to be that time for you. If anything, you should be thankful that you got that much out of GvG. The majority of us got nothing except main game lag from GvG.
And this arrogance has grown exponentially over those 8.5 years. Good grief! There is no reason to be so rude and condescending to everyone all the time. We all know you are very opinionated and don't like or want GVG, so why are you still on this thread repeating that same opinion over and over? Enough already! There's a whole lot of us who have played for more than 10 years as well, and we all love GVG. Its why we are still here. We don't want, need or appreciate your snide comments on every post. It just shows how self serving you truly are.

The stats I would be interested in is how many players quit spending money after they announced a long time ago they weren't going to make any more improvements after Anwar passed away (like stopping the scripts cheating). Although they also announced at that time they had finally decided they were still keeping GVG, after some hemming and hawing over it. It would also be interesting to see how much money Inno loses now they have announced once again they are trashing GVG. (Hmmm first they said they were keeping it, so buy those dimes quickly, now they aren't. Isn't that the Bait and Switch game of fraud?) Here's the deal. Inno created a shoddy mobile platform that could not handle GVG so there was no way to move it over. Inno has decided to cater to the mobile players who statistically average 25 years of age and under, and throw away the over age 40 PC players. They will soon learn its those older players who are the dime players with their credit cards. Its not the younger players who may borrow Mom's card once in a while, or have young families to feed or student loans to pay off, and not spend money on a game. I would be truly interested in the marketing research Inno should have done on this very thing. Inno's biggest mistake was the poor mobile platform they went with way before they ever should have gone mobile.

(shall we make bets on how many hours go by before he responds to this comment? )