• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

GvG Battles: Determining Relative Strengths

I have not seen a precise explanation of how in GvG an attacking army stacks up against the Defensive Army(ies) that are in a Sector. I know about Support Pool and Support Factor, I've seen explanations of those. But, I guess my real question is, do an individual player's attack/attack-defense boosts factor into the relative strength equation at all, or is it all about the Guild's Support Pool? I am very curious to hear a cogent explanation of this.

Dursland

I have not seen a precise explanation of how in GvG an attacking army stacks up against the Defensive Army(ies) that are in a Sector. I know about Support Pool and Support Factor, I've seen explanations of those. But, I guess my real question is, do an individual player's attack/attack-defense boosts factor into the relative strength equation at all, or is it all about the Guild's Support Pool? I am very curious to hear a cogent explanation of this.
Support pool determines the defending value of the gvg sector, only.

Your attack/defense determines how well you do vs that support pool defense only.

As the support pool is capped at 70% or 75% defense you don't need much attack to do gvg. 300/300 should suffice to full auto.

Of course, the higher your stats are, the less losses you will take and the less often you will need to switch out wounded troops in autobattle.

If you want a detailed explanation of how support pool works, try googling foe wiki support pool. The first result should be a wiki/fandom link.

Dursland

That is not true. Support pool does affect the attack of a sieging army, according to what I have seen and read.
That's what I mean, defending value - which includes defender's attack. It will be 70 or 75% for both defender's attack and defense.

Can easily be beaten by 100/100% boost on manual battle.

I don't know that what you are saying is true. When I first started playing GvG, I was told by a Top 10 player who was our guild's Founder, that the city attack/defense boosts that one normally relies upon when attacking are not relevant to GvG battles. In effect, they are worthless in GvG. And to me, this makes sense. My city was much weaker then, and I still was able to play GvG effectively because I was in a very strong guild with plenty of support pool. But, I do hear people say, like yourself, Dursland, that attack/defense boosts do factor into GvG fights. I'm wondering if anyone can cite any supporting evidence, either way, besides merely asserting that it is so or speculating on the logic of the support pool and support factor system and experience fighting in GvG.
In other battles, for example in Battlegrounds, one can see the strength of one's military units, as well as the strength of the defenders. In GvG, this is not the case. All one knows is the support pool bonus of the defenders.
I don't think that I have ever fought a manual battle in GvG. Maybe one can see something there?
So, the question still remains, how is the relative strength of an attacking army and a defending army determined?

Dursland

I took a guild in Zorskog to #1 (look at REDEMPTION on 2nd page there, they have #1 for like 3 or 4 days) so I have a lot of gvg experience.

I can tell you I took less damage and had to swap out troops less as my attack boost increased.

wolfhoundtoo

You can see your attack and defense in the army screen as soon as you load up the army. If you auto battle you can hover your mouse over the results and see the boosts that each individual unit on your side had for the battle. Your attack and defense absolutely impacts GVG.

Angry.Blanket

"city attack/defense boosts that one normally relies upon when attacking" This statement could be taken wrong.
City attack/ defense = blue = not used in GvG.
Attacking army attack/defense = red definitely used in GvG.
Should be no problem to prove this to your self, get rid of all your boosts, and go start banging the auto battle button, wont take long realize whether it matters or not. , GvG can be done with a relatively low atk boost, , but more helps preserve troops.

Johnny B. Goode

I don't know that what you are saying is true. When I first started playing GvG, I was told by a Top 10 player who was our guild's Founder, that the city attack/defense boosts that one normally relies upon when attacking are not relevant to GvG battles. In effect, they are worthless in GvG. And to me, this makes sense. My city was much weaker then, and I still was able to play GvG effectively because I was in a very strong guild with plenty of support pool. But, I do hear people say, like yourself, Dursland, that attack/defense boosts do factor into GvG fights. I'm wondering if anyone can cite any supporting evidence, either way, besides merely asserting that it is so or speculating on the logic of the support pool and support factor system and experience fighting in GvG.
In other battles, for example in Battlegrounds, one can see the strength of one's military units, as well as the strength of the defenders. In GvG, this is not the case. All one knows is the support pool bonus of the defenders.
I don't think that I have ever fought a manual battle in GvG. Maybe one can see something there?
So, the question still remains, how is the relative strength of an attacking army and a defending army determined?
I can state categorically that your attacking boosts in GvG are exactly the same as when you're fighting in GE, GBG, PVP Arena or attacking a neighbor. There is not a different set of boosts when you attack in GvG.
The boosts of the defending armies in GvG are determined by the support pool of the guild that owns the sector. They will be highest in the HQ sector, and max out at 75/75%.
I just checked by setting a siege, and my siege army's boost was 0% even though I have 5090 Support Pool. So the Support Pool only applies to defending armies in GvG.
(It's sad that a top 10 player would be wrong about something so basic.)

Orius Maximus

Back when GvG was new, that 75/75 was quite a bit more than it is these days. It used to be a significant defense. But with people who have +1000% or more in attack bonuses, the 75/75 isn't even a speed bump anymore. It's probably not surprising that top guilds these days aren't worried about defense GBs, it just isn't making any difference.

You can see your attack and defense in the army screen as soon as you load up the army. If you auto battle you can hover your mouse over the results and see the boosts that each individual unit on your side had for the battle. Your attack and defense absolutely impacts GVG.
Wolf, you are correct. The city attack and attack-defense are the strength of an attacking army. The defensive strength of the DAs is still unknown, at least to me.
Support pool is supposed to influence the strength of a sieging army as well, but it is a negligible effect for advanced players at least.

Johnny B. Goode

Wolf, you are correct. The city attack and attack-defense are the strength of an attacking army. The defensive strength of the DAs is still unknown, at least to me.
Support pool is supposed to influence the strength of a sieging army as well, but it is a negligible effect for advanced players at least.
Support Pool has nothing to do with the siege army. I checked.

Angry.Blanket

I'm also curious as to the answer to this question. I've been trying to find info on GvG (and other ranking/prestige questions on another thread). I'd be delighted to find the source!
For me support pool is pretty confusing, I think you have a small amount to start with and it is used on HQ first then if any left on tiles touching HQ.
I thought it worked on sieges set touching your HQ. Regardless, the amount is so small it doesn't matter.

Johnny B. Goode

How did you check ?
The old fashioned way, I set several sieges on various GvG maps on the world where I have over 5000 Support Pool and very few holdings. Whether it was a first tile on a map or next to one of my HQs, my siege army's boost showed zero. I don't remember ever seeing a siege army with a boost. I think part of the reason is that Support Pool boosts are figured and updated at reset. That means that I would not rule out a siege set before reset that is still outstanding after reset maybe getting some Support Pool boost, but that would be such a rare case as to be irrelevant.

P.S. Sometimes the only way to find things out about the game is to test them in-game.

Angry.Blanket

The old fashioned way, I set several sieges on various GvG maps on the world where I have over 5000 Support Pool and very few holdings. Whether it was a first tile on a map or next to one of my HQs, my siege army's boost showed zero. I don't remember ever seeing a siege army with a boost. I think part of the reason is that Support Pool boosts are figured and updated at reset. That means that I would not rule out a siege set before reset that is still outstanding after reset maybe getting some Support Pool boost, but that would be such a rare case as to be irrelevant.

P.S. Sometimes the only way to find things out about the game is to test them in-game.
The reason I ask is because the Inno wiki says it does apply to to sieges.

The support pool is distributed among sectors controlled by a guild, with the guild HQ taking precedence, before adjacent sectors receive a bonus, and then sectors further away after that. You can see a support bonus by hovering your mouse over an army. Defending armies and siege armies can have a support bonus if they are in range. A guild's support pool is recalculated every day, when the countdown ends.

Johnny B. Goode

The reason I ask is because the Inno wiki says it does apply to to sieges.

The support pool is distributed among sectors controlled by a guild, with the guild HQ taking precedence, before adjacent sectors receive a bonus, and then sectors further away after that. You can see a support bonus by hovering your mouse over an army. Defending armies and siege armies can have a support bonus if they are in range. A guild's support pool is recalculated every day, when the countdown ends.
My point was that GvG armies that get Support Pool boosts don't get them until reset. For example, if you conquer a sector, it will have 0% boost until the next reset, at which point it will be allocated according to the standard formula. And since most sieges don't last through reset, they would never get the Support Pool boosts. On the rare occasion a siege started before reset and was still active after reset, I conceded that it might get a Support Pool boost. I can state categorically from multiple tests that a siege army does not get a Support Pool boost except maybe in that one rare case. I am on vacation now, but if I remember when I get back home I may test that rare case.