• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

[Guide] GVG for small or mid-sized Guilds

DeletedUser

Hello all,
I am writing this guide because I constantly see people talking about how they cannot compete with larger guilds. This guide will help you do exactly that. However, there are a few requirements that you have to meet in order to do so.
1) Must have high military bonus compared to the map you want to fight on. You need your troops to last, and if you're too close to the defense bonus of the sectors, you'll be sad

2) You must have 9 or more fighters who can be on at the same time. These fighters must have rogues, a good military bonus, and be able to auto-fight. If you don't have at least 9 fighters, you're wasting everyone's time.

3) You might have large armies, either with barracks in your city, large stores in your traz, or both. You need to take out 2-3 sectors every day.

4) You must have farmed together to gather upwards of 10k goods for the map you want to fight on. You're taking on a large, well stocked guild. You must stock up too. Anyone who wants to fight, but not help farm, kick them. Farming allows the fighting to happen, they shouldn't get the fun without the work.

This method is an aggressive, ghost-like style. I'll describe a few ways it can work. The main point is you take sectors fast, ensuring you have a shielded sector to work with after each reset. You limit your exposure to counter attacks, putting the other guild on defense, and hopefully baiting out some expensive sieges. My guild on D world calls this the buzz-saw approach.

You can use this method to wipe guilds off maps. However, its most useful in clearing out a small territory you're interested in holding.

The Godly Buzz-saw
This is done by some of the best players in the game, and requires great coordination to work. Its very risky in that you can get removed from the map easily, but when its pulled off, you can get right into the middle of the enemy sectors and cause trouble. Everything you do is about costing the enemy guild goods, while keeping things cheap for yourself.

The way it works is after a reset, your guild takes a shoreline sector, an in-land sector, and yet 1 more sector inland. You will not place defense in any of the sectors. Just before reset the next day, you will drop 1 sector, siege it fast, and beat it down to 1 fight. Just AFTER reset, get your butt in there and finish the siege. If they damage your siege, replace it quickly before reset. The risky part is always if they kill your siege before you take the sector, you're pretty much boned.

If you were successful, you now have a shielded sector, and if you were smart, its surrounded by 2-3 enemy sectors. Take them all out. Now you have 4 shields, and the center one isn't touching any enemy sectors. The next night, that is the one you will drop early, because they cannot interfere with it. After you have your new shield, drop the other 3 sectors, pick one and take it back. Move your HQ up so that its near 2-3 of their sectors again, and rinse and repeat until you've cleared them all out.

The Heroic Buzz-saw
This has the same concept at its core, where you keep things cheap for your guild, while costing the other guild the most goods possible. However, this is for the less coordinated guild, or with a guild that has issues getting everyone on at the same time (you'll wanna fix that)

With this method, you're still going to land and take 2-3 sectors right off the bat. You'll choose one of them and defend it with 6 armies.

(As a rule if thumb, its not cost effective to unlock all 8 armies. You get to place 6 armies for 180 goods, but then to place 2 more armies you have to pay another 180 goods? That's stupid. Anytime I've lost a sector, it was clear I was losing it whether or not there were 2 more armies. The only reasons you would ever stock all 8 armies is if you have shoreline you're trying to hold, or you're expecting them to place sieges on you as you move forward.)

The next night you will take 2-3 more sectors, and again choose one to stock up with 6 armies. You will drop the other sectors. However, you will always keep the sector 4 spaces in from the shore. This way you will be able to see a ghost coming, and do something about it. Every 3-4 sectors deep you go, you will hold another sector. This will keep you from getting totally removed from the map by a counter attack. This also helps you stake your claim to the open land around your sector.

Er, um, we only fight like big guilds, we like losing

Please use this method if you wanna lose.
To do this, you take sectors, and fully stock every single sector you take. You'll proceed in some stupid straight or curved line that will allow the enemy guild to cut your space in 1/2 and cost some of your sectors their bonus. You will then be ghosted and have lost thousands in goods.

The goal:
If you're a small to mid-sized guild, you really only want 7-10 sectors on a map, but you want them on EVERY map. However, it doesn't mean you have to live with shoreline. The shorelines for people who like losing. You wanna go deep inland, to high point sectors, and take those 7-10. Even if you get wiped out, it'll be cheap enough for you to take everything back, and if you buzz-sawed in effectively, few enough people will screw with you. If you do this on enough maps, you can ensure your guild gets a good 2k points or more for guild level, and you'll be in the top 20 easily.

As you do this, it'll take people a few times to learn that you've figured out how to play. View your sectors as a teaching tool for other guilds. Guilds who take a few of your sectors need a lesson, so you're dropping the rest till you're down to 1-2 and then you're buzz-sawing the crap outta them till they cry. Eventually people will be happy that you have your 7-10 sectors and are not roaming about the maps.

If you are lacking fighters, MERGE. I cannot stress this enough. You and your 5 friends are wasting time. MERGE and get the fighters to make something happen.

Hope this helps, I'll answer any questions below. The End.

DeletedUser6163

Often before setting siege I will survey the fighters online to see how many wins they can get on that sector. Make sure the number of wins your fighters can get in collectively is at least equal if not surpassing the number of defense armies in that sector.

I agree with the OP that nine is a good number of fighters especially if you are taking multiple sectors in a single sitting. Depending on the player and how many wins they can get in, some guilds can set siege with fewer. If I can get in 20-30 wins on a sector in 10 minutes, my guild only needs 2 other fighters of similar charisma to go on a killing spree.

DeletedUser

Feel free to post feedback here. as well as additional info. Trying to help the smaller guilds get more active in gvg

DeletedUser10415

Can two Guilds attack the same sector?
On lays a siege, the other just attacks.

No. Only the guild the siege army belongs to can attack the sector. An adjacent guild could attack the siege army however, and if it's defeated the siege would be broken, requiring another siege army to be placed (and goods paid) in order to resume attacking the sector.

DeletedUser

I would like to try this but cant seam to get any of my guild members to join me and hardly anyone in the whole guild donates
I think I need a new guild

DeletedUser

I would like to try this but cant seam to get any of my guild members to join me and hardly anyone in the whole guild donates
Yes, if you want to do gvg, it certainly sounds like you want a different guild. Some guilds are just not into GVG.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser23098

You may have found a guild to join by now but if not I send you and off to join us.

DeletedUser25782

When you say you have to have 9 or more fighters does that mean that 9 or more actual people have to go on and join the sector at the same time to fight? My guild is only three people and a level 2 at the moment, but we tried fighting a section this evening and by the time I got on the person that started it was already done and it would not give me the option to fight. Am I doing something wrong? Any help will be appreciated for that is confusing to me, LOL

DeletedUser

The statement about having 9 fighters on at the same time concerns specifically going up against a large and well organized guild.

In the instance you mentioned in your post, I can only guess, but it sounds like the person completed the sector you were fighting. There may have been 10 or fewer fights left to do to finish the sector.

If I guessed wrong, and you were trying to place a siege and were unable to, its possible you do not have trusted rights in your guild, which you need in order to place sieges.

DeletedUser25782

Thank you Awcrapilost for that information. I will check into that.

DeletedUser8152

At what age map does a guilds support pool actually make a difference?
All but iron I'd have said. More support = more losses = fewer battles for your opponents.

If you mean, is there ever a time that your support pool can make you impregnable? Then no.

DeletedUser26660

I play GE every week and always complete all 3 levels, I have not as yet gone down the GvG route but am considering it. I know nothing about GvG and would like to know does it differ greatly from GE in the fighting aspect?

DeletedUser8152

For the most part you end up doing GvG fights on autobattle. You need a decent number of guildmates working together at the same time. It requires a lot more troops. You can win quite a bit more guild power from it though.

DeletedUser26660

Thanks for reply. What about points gained per player from GvG, does that compare with GE or does a player get significantly more points from GvG?

And also goods, do players who play GvG donate loads of goods to play?

DeletedUser8152

Thanks for reply. What about points gained per player from GvG, does that compare with GE or does a player get significantly more points from GvG?
Like, battle points earned? Typically you can get a lot of points from GvG, since you fight a lot of battles quickly. But of course it depends how much each individual player fights.

And also goods, do players who play GvG donate loads of goods to play?
You need a lot of goods if you want to take over a lot of land, but a small holding is pretty inexpensive to maintain.

If you haven't read through the GvG guide, you should, it explains how things work.