• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Should GBG play a larger part in Guild Rankings?

• Yes

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I don't play GVG

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarkkus

Since most Guilds do not play GVG, probably because GBG is so much more rewarding to spend goods on, why not use both GVG and GBG for guild rankings? Currently it is set for the Guild with the highest goods production as most cannot spend the high amount of goods it takes to play both. You also have to gear your guild with GVG players. A #1 ranking is just not as important as it is for individual rewards of FP, goods and diamonds via GBG. GVG does not help a player level and acquire new event buildings. GVG is becoming more and more obsolete. Some that have been playing FoE for years have never even played GVG. With current settings if a Guild does not play GVG they will not be a #1 guild. Therefore, it should be saved by allowing GBG to be part - or a bigger part - of the Guild Rankings. More guilds will be included and have a chance to be #1 guild. If a guild is twice as good as others in GBG and does not play GVG, they should be ranked much higher.

Last edited:

Ebeondi Asi

Inno should change the rank points for GbG from what it is now to a cumulative number of total fights done for each season Perhaps with some limited number of counted seasons. say ten. Or the total number of points won in each season cumulative again, but only the last ten maybe twenty five? seasons count.

xivarmy

Inno should change the rank points for GbG from what it is now to a cumulative number of total fights done for each season Perhaps with some limited number of counted seasons. say ten. Or the total number of points won in each season cumulative again, but only the last ten maybe twenty five? seasons count.
Something cumulative breaks with their ranking philosophy.

You can lose your entire GvG holdings in a matter of days. It's important that GBG ranking is fairly ephemeral as well.

The streak idea would be fine (fall out of 1000, lose *all* of the bonus from it).

Perhaps the more elegant option is changing where points go to die though. Currently points are added in Copper league and destroyed in Diamond league by guilds failing to get over the cap.

If there was a season-by-season decay that had to be overcome to maintain rank instead of a cap at 1000, the stronger GBG guilds would have a way to show that they are indeed stronger than the competition and get a ranking bonus for it. Furthermore if someone did take them down even 1 slot for a round that would be felt in their ranking too (as opposed to 4th always being enough to not care). i.e. a 10% decay would allow a guild with an infinite-winning-streak (1st place *every* round) to hit as high as 1750 MMR.

It would also shift more guilds back into platinum and gold and perhaps give slightly better matchmaking. And break the yoyo of last->first (as the net effect of a last->first would be slightly lower than you were two seasons ago).

GvG guilds tend to be active in every aspect of the game. There might be a few "diplomacy" guilds that fall out of the top ten, but you wouldn't see much different.

Emberguard

why not use both GVG and GBG for guild rankings?
They do.

And you know what? For the vast majority of Guilds, Guild Battlegrounds plays a far bigger role in ranking than GvG does. When I looked at GBG vs GvG Prestige in the world I play, only a single Guild had more points from GvG than GBG. Every other Guild was actually getting more from GBG (18k)

The difference between GvG in ranking, and it not being in ranking, is for the most part 18,000 + X compared to just 18,000. The number of X doesn’t matter. 18,001 is always going to beat 18,000

Sledgie

They do.

And you know what? For the vast majority of Guilds, Guild Battlegrounds plays a far bigger role in ranking than GvG does. When I looked at GBG vs GvG Prestige in the world I play, only a single Guild had more points from GvG than GBG. Every other Guild was actually getting more from GBG (18k)

The difference between GvG in ranking, and it not being in ranking, is for the most part 18,000 + X compared to just 18,000. The number of X doesn’t matter. 18,001 is always going to beat 18,000
I think the issue is, as was stated above that GBG doesn't distinguish between strong guilds with 1000 LP and the guilds that bounce between 1000 LP and Platinum League. GBG prestige needs to be awarded in a more nuanced way that captures the actual differences in strength between guilds.

I think the issue is, as was stated above that GBG doesn't distinguish between strong guilds with 1000 LP and the guilds that bounce between 1000 LP and Platinum League. GBG prestige needs to be awarded in a more nuanced way that captures the actual differences in strength between guilds.
might even put a stop to the farming. Guilds would fight for those additional ranking points and I know my guild isn't yielding #1 without a fight, no matter if it's GBG or GVG.

Sledgie

Perhaps there can be prestige connected to the placing of each guild on the map at reset, so there would be daily fluctuations during the season, similar to GvG. The prestige at the end of the season would carry over to reset the first day of the next season.

Tarkkus

GBG is a part - a guild that avoided GBG entirely would not be #1 either...

The problem is that GBG doesn't distinguish well between the dozens of guilds all at 1000 MMR. They all get the same 18000 prestige.
Well I did correct and say "a bigger part"

Tarkkus

The point here is that if focus is on GVG then that guild is more likely to be a #1 Guild. This is why #1 does not matter to most guilds

wolfhoundtoo

GBG is about personal rewards and GVG gives more to the guild so it should be worth more than GBG in terms of the #1 guild. Besides Inno isn't going to do any changes to GVG so it's unlikely they'll take away the impact it has on guild ranks until/unless they are ready to do away with GVG since it is after all the 'reward' for working the map daily (even if the most critical time is once a day usually).

Guild ranking needs an overhaul. GvG is about renting tiles and having the Treasury to do it. Battlegrounds has little to say about a Guild other than its rapaciousness.
Guilds should be ranked on internal member development. That is the true measure of a good Guild.
Not on how many thugs it can attract to exploit Battlegrounds for personal rewards. or on how massive the Guild's Treasury is so it can temporarily control swathes of tiles on the GvG maps.

Angel.

Since most Guilds do not play GVG, probably because GBG is so much more rewarding to spend goods on, why not use both GVG and GBG for guild rankings? Currently it is set for the Guild with the highest goods production as most cannot spend the high amount of goods it takes to play both. You also have to gear your guild with GVG players. A #1 ranking is just not as important as it is for individual rewards of FP, goods and diamonds via GBG. GVG does not help a player level and acquire new event buildings. GVG is becoming more and more obsolete. Some that have been playing FoE for years have never even played GVG. With current settings if a Guild does not play GVG they will not be a #1 guild. Therefore, it should be saved by allowing GBG to be part - or a bigger part - of the Guild Rankings. More guilds will be included and have a chance to be #1 guild. If a guild is twice as good as others in GBG and does not play GVG, they should be ranked much higher.
i play both when i can but my guild only plays GBG so sounds good

Mor-Rioghain

Since most Guilds do not play GVG, probably because GBG is so much more rewarding to spend goods on, why not use both GVG and GBG for guild rankings? Currently it is set for the Guild with the highest goods production as most cannot spend the high amount of goods it takes to play both.
Perhaps a bit off-topic but I can't help but ask since I keep seeing one variation or another of the bolded text: Where does it state that you pay goods to play Guild Battlegrounds? The feature is free. It's only in the placement of buildings that goods are required. Just as certain features in GvG are free, i.e., breaking sieges, the first level of the Guild Expedition, and the PvP Arena, it is a free feature.

I've played 4 worlds since long before the Battlegrounds feature was introduced and on 3 of them, I've never spent a single good to play as I have been able to succesfully fight well within my attrition penalties well into Platinum League without building one single Battlegrounds Building! On 2 of my other worlds I played alone and always did. I played quite easily in Silver League and even ventured occiasionally into Gold League. My cities were somewhat advanced in Eras but not in military strength as in my main city. My only military GBs were the fight trio, CoA, Zeus, and CdM, none of which are even now above L70 and at that time probably between the 30's and 40's on any one of those cities. I had no overt use of ATTK/ATTK-D in any of those 3 cities. I'm not necessarily trying to 'toot my own horn' but only illustrate that in this manner I was more than successful playing the feature, and really quite lucratively in terms of personal rewards, but it was mostly due to the judicious use of good, common sense on my part and the part of the members of the guilds I was in in deciding not to overspend, if spend at all, in the Battlegrounds feature.

No, I was not at the 'top' of the Platinum League and we three lonely warriors who decided to settle back into Gold League, having never built one single building in over one a half years of playing the feature. We didn't engage in sector swaps. We didn't negotiate. We fought. It's each player's choice and the choice of the guild collectively to build. If a guild doesn't have the necessary goods, then they shouldn't build and stop fighting when the losses become too high to warrant continued advancement until each member of the guild is able to either personally donate or passively collect treasury funds.

That's just poor guild management to play beyond your members' capabilities but the feature is free. (Like I said, a bit off topic but honestly, to keep harping on and on about how expensive the feature is when it doesn't cost anything at all to either individual player or guild just deflates whatever good argument someone might have over a related issue!)

Last edited: