• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Hagia Sofia. How great really is?

ITown

Anyone who says Hagia Sophia is not so great - is probably wresting with the basics of building a city - which is providing so much happiness that you never have to use the junk that only provides happiness.

ljLQAVQ.png

6x5 for 14,000 happiness

vs level 10 hagia sophia: 6x7 for 6,400 happiness

DeletedUser

Hagia Sophia can be leveled past 10 with greater culture and more FP being generated.
Yes you need to collect the BPs but doing so shouldn't be a major issue, especially considering the length of time between the age you can build the Hagia Sophia easily and the age where cultural buildings can produce as much happiness as a level 10.
Of course if you're solely focused on attack GBs or other such then that's your choice and doesn't reflect on the value of a Hagia Sophia.

Bottom line majority of GBs are worth exactly the amount of effort your willing to put into them.
If you neglect them/fail to work on leveling them then they aren't worth much.

DeletedUser17462

ljLQAVQ.png

6x5 for 14,000 happiness

For one, you can't count on that Eco Park to always be polished as it is in your example. Two, the fps generated by that lvl10 Hagia are worth something too.

ITown

For one, you can't count on that Eco Park to always be polished as it is in your example. Two, the fps generated by that lvl10 Hagia are worth something too.

Actually, I can. Since I have intelligent city design and don't litter my city with decorations, it is in fact always polished.

The forge points are the only reason I haven't demolished my Hagia Sophia.

Hagia Sophia can be leveled past 10 with greater culture and more FP being generated.
Yes you need to collect the BPs but doing so shouldn't be a major issue, especially considering the length of time between the age you can build the Hagia Sophia easily and the age where cultural buildings can produce as much happiness as a level 10.

At level 25, Hagia Sophia reaches 10,000 happiness (still worse than building shopping malls) and it costs 10,000 forge points to get it there. At what level are you thinking that Hagia Sophia gives better happiness than an eco park?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Is one eco park or whatever other cultural building all you need?
Is Hagia Sophia the only GB granting culture you consider building?

No the Hagia Sophia won't cover all your culture needs at some point, but it will help reduce your need greatly while also providing FPs. The fewer cultural buildings/decorations you need to worry about building and having polished, the more space you've got for other structures.

Not everyone has a bunch of SoKs and many are unlikely to spend real money to get a bunch so the FPs from GB like Hagia Sophia become much more valuable. It's the fact that they contribute more than one thing to your city that makes building them worthwhile.

DeletedUser

Actually, I can. Since I have intelligent city design and don't litter my city with decorations, it is in fact always polished.

This is not true short of spending diamonds there is no way to be polished ALWAYS, but really that's splitting hairs on my part.

The real value of Hagia Sophia is getting it early HMA/LMA and leveling it up, as it will save you space while also providing FP, if your in CE/TE/FE its probably not worth the effort to build it.

DeletedUser10415

ljLQAVQ.png

6x5 for 14,000 happiness

Right, so in FE, the Hagia isn't so hot for happiness. But until someone gets to FE (and it took me over a year to do so), Hagia is a useful happiness building. Also, it's not like the Eco Park is anywhere near the beginning of the FE tech tree, which is why I have my Hagia still. That, and I like the FP production.

DeletedUser8620

Personally, I build any GB that gives fps, Goods, Troops, Attack/defense, Guild support & Percentage to coins & supplies.. any Happiness Gb that does not offer any of those previously stated, I personally do not waste time on as you can get happiness buildings that take up less space that can be polished..

Mustapha00

While I, too, have a Hagia in most of my cities (3 of 4), I'm becoming less of a fan of the thing, mainly due to it's size. 7x6 is a >TON< of real estate to devote to a single GB that adds only Happiness (as has been pointed out, premium cultural buildings bought via Diamonds fairly quickly can provide as much or more Happiness, especially if consistently Polished via Aid) and, while the FPs as nice, those can be acquired via other means with less space (such as my new favorite GB- Castle del Monte, which adds +3 to attack and defense of your army plus the same fp per day that a similar level Hagia gives but is only 5x5). About the only real advantage the Hagia offers that I can think of is that you will almost certainly obtain the BPs and Goods you need to build one very much earlier than you would alternatives like the CDM.

DeletedUser

Most GB if you only look at one of their bonuses aren't that great. It's the combination of two bonuses that generally makes them better than normal structures, along with the fact that as long as you can get BP they can continue to be leveled and produce better benefits unlike any normal structure.
Also the combined benefits of several GB can all be used to make them even more valuable at generating an overall space savings.
Adding a Castle del Monte is great but deleting a Hagia Sophia to do so doesn't make a lot of sense as your not only losing the time and FP spent on the Hagia Sophia but prolonging the length of time before your Castle del Monte can show a bonus for FP.
Most of you wouldn't delete a Zeus because your building an Aachen, instead you'll happily take the attack point bonus from both. Which leads me to wonder why you wouldn't want two or more structures all adding FP, arguably the most valuable resource in the game.

I'll say it again a GB is only worth whatever effort your willing to put into it.
If your willing to spend real money getting premium culture buildings and SoKs then yeah it might not be a great choice. For everyone else I think with some effort it can be one of the better GBs especially if built in earlier ages.

ITown

Most GB if you only look at one of their bonuses aren't that great.

Let's test that statement.

Zeus: attack bonus makes it great
Lighthouse: supply bonus makes it great
Aachen: attack bonus makes it great
St. Marks: coin bonus makes it great
Castel del Monte: attack bonus makes it great
Royal Albert Hall: supply bonus makes it great
Chateau: quest bonus makes it great
Alcatraz: unit bonus makes it great
Cape Canaveral: FPs make it great
Arc: contribution bonus makes it great

What about the rest of the GBs?
Babel: not popular
Colosseum: extremely unpopular
Hagia Sophia: mixed reviews
Notre Dame: extremely unpopular
St. Basil: mixed reviews
Deal Castle: mixed reviews
Frauenkirche: not popular (same as Babel)
Capitol: not popular
Space Needle: extremely unpopular
Atomium: mixed reviews
Habitat: mixed reviews
Inno Tower: mixed reviews
Lotus Temple: very unpopular
Dynamic Tower: mixed reviews
Voyager V1: not popular
Rainforest Project: mixed reviews
Observatory: very popular, but only requires 3x3 space

What do the second group of GBs all have in common?

They either: don't help the owner (observatory, atomium)
Or: don't have a single excellent ability (when factoring in size)

DeletedUser

Let's test that statement.

Zeus: attack bonus makes it great
Lighthouse: supply bonus makes it great
Aachen: attack bonus makes it great
St. Marks: coin bonus makes it great
Castel del Monte: attack bonus makes it great
Royal Albert Hall: supply bonus makes it great
Chateau: quest bonus makes it great
Alcatraz: unit bonus makes it great
Cape Canaveral: FPs make it great
Arc: contribution bonus makes it great

What about the rest of the GBs?
Babel: not popular
Colosseum: extremely unpopular
Hagia Sophia: mixed reviews
Notre Dame: extremely unpopular
St. Basil: mixed reviews
Deal Castle: mixed reviews
Frauenkirche: not popular (same as Babel)
Capitol: not popular
Space Needle: extremely unpopular
Atomium: mixed reviews
Habitat: mixed reviews
Inno Tower: mixed reviews
Lotus Temple: very unpopular
Dynamic Tower: mixed reviews
Voyager V1: not popular
Rainforest Project: mixed reviews
Observatory: very popular, but only requires 3x3 space

What do the second group of GBs all have in common?

They either: don't help the owner (observatory, atomium)
Or: don't have a single excellent ability (when factoring in size)
For your style play and preferences I'm sure that's how you see things, however there are plenty of others who won't agree with your assessment of GBs, even top 10 players.

There is no "correct" choice of buildings, GB or otherwise, that's part of what makes the game fun and interesting.

I don't PvP or GvG and I've negotiated for all my EMA, HMA and LMA sectors. (I'm in HMA by the way so further on campaign map than research)
Only reason I have a Zeus is because I had a full set of prints from daily MP and nothing better to put up at the time. It's now level 2 and I've only invested 10 of my own FP in it and I'm not going to be investing more FP in it probably ever. I 've got a level 3 Aachen that I will occasionally add FP to via the Guild exchange thread but that's mainly for its coin output. It would be easy for me to say Zeus is a horrible GB, doesn't really help me with my chosen style of play at this time or anytime in the foreseeable future but that would just be my own opinion and a reflection of my preference in how I play the game.

Just because you or me or someone else doesn't appreciate what a certain GB can provide, doesn't make them bad or marginal. Everyone will have their own preferences and opinions which is a good thing as it helps keep the game entertaining for all of us.

ITown

For your style play and preferences I'm sure that's how you see things, however there are plenty of others who won't agree with your assessment of GBs, even top 10 players.

Those aren't my opinions on GBs, those are a compilation of observations of GBs that people like to build.

My own personal list is this:

Good:
Babel
Zeus
Lighthouse
Aachen
St Marks
CDM
Frauenkirche
RAH
Traz
Chateau
Observatory
Cape
Inno Tower
Arc
Rainforest Project

Optional:
Hagia Sophia
St Basil
Deal Castle
Atomium
Habitat
Dynamic Tower
Voyager V1

Skip:
Colosseum
Notre Dame
Capitol
Space Needle
Lotus Temple

Optional GBs are the ones I've either considered tearing down; or haven't built, but haven't ruled out building.

DeletedUser

Those aren't my opinions on GBs, those are a compilation of observations of GBs that people like to build.

My own personal list is this:
Optional GBs are the ones I've either considered tearing down; or haven't built, but haven't ruled out building.
Other than a few minor discrepancies your list is fairly close to what I've targeted for my future.
As a newer player to the game much of what I base my discussion on is taken from similar discussions here on the Forums and the Wiki, coupled with my own analysis of the various benefits and how they fit with my current and projected future style of play.

Obviously the longer I play the more knowledgeable about the game and it's mechanics I'll become and my opinions and play style will likely change some.

Interesting how like me you rate Babel as being good, yet I've seen plenty of arguments that it's one of the worst lol. So many different players all with their own opinions about what's good and bad, really helps make the game much more interesting to play.

DeletedUser9433

Never heard anything negative about the Inno Tower, Only thing I might trade it for would be an Arc but I have an Arc in both worlds where I have an Inno so that point is moot.

DeletedUser9433

Other than a few minor discrepancies your list is fairly close to what I've targeted for my future.
As a newer player to the game much of what I base my discussion on is taken from similar discussions here on the Forums and the Wiki, coupled with my own analysis of the various benefits and how they fit with my current and projected future style of play.

Obviously the longer I play the more knowledgeable about the game and it's mechanics I'll become and my opinions and play style will likely change some.

Interesting how like me you rate Babel as being good, yet I've seen plenty of arguments that it's one of the worst lol. So many different players all with their own opinions about what's good and bad, really helps make the game much more interesting to play.
Babel is good depending on your age, those extra goods are useful imho.