• We are looking for you!
    Always wanted to join our Supporting Team? We are looking for enthusiastic moderators!
    Take a look at our recruitement page for more information and how you can apply:
    Apply

Higher Era Units, Lower Age Boredom

KingJMobile

I've never thought I'd say this but I'm getting bored of having higher-era units. Correction: I'm bored of being stuck in the Progressive Era, but I just forget how much I rely on higher-era units. This is my main world btw.

To give some context, I have almost 1450/1450 offensive and 400/340 defensive in 2240 tiles in PE, with only 3 diamond expansions left as well as 3 more in the Continent Map from SAV to SAT. I produce 600-650FPs daily, as well as 800-900 goods. All my GBs are where I want them to be (just slowly leveling my Cent and Hydra now), and I have 1 billion coins and supplies and 27k FPs in stock along with almost a hundred one-up and reno kits. Basically, I'm trading my reputation of fighting everything like a piece of cake, and being absolutely goated (at least IMO) in PE to actually experience new stuff in the game.

So what would you guys advise doing if you were in my position? I know I'm staying in PE for the next couple months to get loaded with stuff so I have a decent chance to survive fighting in higher eras, but I'm more concerned about how long it'll take me to get special goods to rush AF and OF, and whether I should be investing in a Space Carrier or FP and goods production. My target is PME for a bit to see what happens at the End of This Chapter, then FE, and then SAM if I do age up. What do you guys reckon?

Pericles the Lion

In my first (main) city I got FE/AF units in Indy and stayed there only for 3-4 months before getting bored. I rushed from Indy to FE where I stayed for almost a year. In truth, I was able to do more GBG fighting in FE than I was in Indy with about the same boosts. The reason being that the limited number of advanced units, combined with my refusal to diamond heal them, only allowed me to do 30-40 battles per swap. Upon getting to FE I was able to do 3x this number.

In my current secondary city I am using AF/OF units in Indy (I learned from my earlier mistakes getting the units). I've been here for almost a year and have no plans to move on. The coming changes to GBG will make the advanced units even more valuable.

xivarmy

You will have to accept that fighting will never be as easy as it is for you now - but as long as you don't value fighting to the attrition cap too much, it can still be fine. And I wouldn't want my main world to be an eternal-camp world (i do have one, but it's an alt project).

I recommend you at least check out *every* age along the way as the point of your moving on is boredom and there's only so many different sets of units to check out. Though up to CE, you're probably just going to keep using your advanced units (not sure how long the turtles will remain important, but hovers are still an OP unit in CE). TE your advanced units are still useful, but no longer immortal - so that's probably where you can start having significantly new experiences.

So far in my experience VF is the age able to hit the highest attrition with own-age units owing to 3/5 units being fodder for rocket troops. So that might be a good place to reset your expectations to something slightly lower - and get some of those new expansions filled. It's not going to be the fastest age to fight as sometimes you have to switch to something other than rocket troops to deal with ninjas, but you can fight a lot - without worrying about paying attention to save your precious unattached unit.

Regarding passing AF/OF, plant a space carrier once you enter AF (not before) and level it during them and it can cut a month or so off each probably. If you want to burn FP to blitz the ages, you can actually delete the space carrier to plant a new one and level it again to get more instant collections, but I don't really recommend that. I'd do something like take space carrier to 58 in AF and 91 in OF and then settle in to finish up the rest.

If you have interest in an AI core you can plant and level that in advance of AF/OF and it'll also cut some time off (unless you plan to rely heavily on that delete and rebuild space carrier strategy).

KingJMobile

In my current secondary city I am using AF/OF units in Indy (I learned from my earlier mistakes getting the units). I've been here for almost a year and have no plans to move on. The coming changes to GBG will make the advanced units even more valuable.
I suppose you've got the best of both worlds. I also have a secondary world but that's still waiting for Police Stations. It's not too bad supposing it's basically a long break from higher-era units if I ever show up to that world.

Regarding passing AF/OF, plant a space carrier once you enter AF (not before) and level it during them and it can cut a month or so off each probably. If you want to burn FP to blitz the ages, you can actually delete the space carrier to plant a new one and level it again to get more instant collections, but I don't really recommend that. I'd do something like take space carrier to 58 in AF and 91 in OF and then settle in to finish up the rest.
I might get the AI Core to boost special goods (I hate negotiating, so the Space Carrier is useless to me), but just one thing to clarify – is it faster, say at level 10 than just the straight-up special goods from the Space Carrier?

In terms of fighting, I just want to know how much defending boost I need for level 5 GE. In PE it's upwards of 1000% and without higher-era units, what % would you guys recommend?

Pericles the Lion

In terms of fighting, I just want to know how much defending boost I need for level 5 GE. In PE it's upwards of 1000% and without higher-era units, what % would you guys recommend?
With advanced units, I fight all 16 L5 encounters, losing no units, with 200/200. In SAT, without advanced units, 1500/1600 isn't enough for the last 2 encounters unless my Virgo and Kraken both fire. So, to answer your question, I'd say you will need all of the blue boost that you can get.

xivarmy

I might get the AI Core to boost special goods (I hate negotiating, so the Space Carrier is useless to me), but just one thing to clarify – is it faster, say at level 10 than just the straight-up special goods from the Space Carrier?

Space Carrier's pretty much cleanly better than AI core for special goods in AF, especially if you level it in it for extra collections. But if you won't use the negotiation charges ever, i can see skipping it.

AI Core Lv 60 was what I had in mind and that's probably better than space carrier in OF (other than the powerlevel and repowerlevel strategy). Space Carrier makes promethium more often than orichalcum while AI core is boosting both. At Lv 10 it's only going to be a minor benefit.

Ultimately you could just take your time in AF/OF. Since it sounds like you're looking for some challenges anyways, it could be fun.

I'm not sure exactly on the defense for GE5 - but if you keep winning the main buildings in events you should be there eventually - as every building seems to come with a defending army benefit now.

I first fought all but the last 3 in SAM with only a few hundred % attack for defending army boost at base and chugged defender potions (built fortifications for #11-#13). I then activate my extra turn and negotiate the last 3. I ignore it in my SAT world because it's a diamond mine and GE5 makes nothing relevant to diamonds ;) Main thing that lets me get by those first 13 without coming close to matching their boost is they have at least 4 artillery in them, and that lets flyers kick some ass - I did have to fight on manual to make sure the flyers focus the right units.

The last 3 have less artillery and their boost going crazy - i haven't really thought too hard on how or when I'd like to tackle them yet - though my stats have gone up considerably since I first hit that point, so maybe it's time for me to see if I can find a way past 14 at least.

Pericles the Lion

Space Carrier's pretty much cleanly better than AI core for special goods in AF, especially if you level it in it for extra collections. But if you won't use the negotiation charges ever, i can see skipping it.
I use all of the SC nego charges on the small exploration sites on the C-Map. They are all simple 4-item negos and the rewards are pretty decent.

KingJMobile

I use all of the SC nego charges on the small exploration sites on the C-Map. They are all simple 4-item negos and the rewards are pretty decent.
I'm sure there are going to be good negs somewhere but I'm more concerned about the fact that I'll forget (busy irl), so for me, it's not worth investing in.
I probably won't build any new GBs and keep it a bit slower then.